The Living End Reviews

• May 15, 2015

I admit I've a very personal connection to this film. I saw it in my early 20's when I was at my most political regarding AIDS. For out queer men who were either in their 20s or 30's this movie was a sort of angry road trip movie that was both cathartic and tragic. Though it is very low budget and has more than a few flaws - it does deserve mention for capturing a cultural moment in American Queer Culture.

• Feb 15, 2015

As much as I love the 1990s, some pretty crappy stuff also came out of it. This film is one of them.

• Jun 26, 2013

Beautifully shot, with some interesting ideas, but not overly entertaining.

Beautifully shot, with some interesting ideas, but not overly entertaining.

• Nicki M Super Reviewer
    Apr 06, 2013

I remember really liking this movie back in the 90's. Was excited to see it on DVD for rental. Well, I have to say I had forgotten most of the story apart from it being a road trip movie about two men living with AIDS, so I was interested to see if it was as good as I remembered. Though it's obviously dated now, I still found it quite compelling viewing with a unique style. Craig Gilmore in particular is great as Jon. Very sympathetic character. Won't be for all, is pretty bleak and confronting, but I found it worth the rewatch.

• Sep 29, 2012

This provocative film teeters between shockingly disturbing scenes and happy-go-lucky humor. The emotion and uncertainty created around the main character learning his HIV-positive status carried my interest through the entire movie. Having said that, the positive relationship that develops between the main characters and the film's ability to find humor in the face of death give it an added boost. While many of Akira's other movies are known for being over-the-top, the acting and dialogue in this film all seemed genuine and appropriate for the setting. The film's finale fails to deliver closure to the story, however, it manages to provide enough direction to the story to satisfy this viewer. The Living End is at least commendable for confronting social issues that many would prefer left alone.

• May 20, 2012

I wanted to like this film more than I did. I figure it was the fact that I didn't feel like the actors truly loved each other. I guess it was the acting that got in the way.

• May 19, 2012

As low budget as it is there is something just deliciously wrong about this movie I have always loved ever since I first saw it. It's not about being dire and depressed or helpless.

• Apr 21, 2011

I'm still not sure why I like Araki's movies, but hey just go with it I guess.

I'm still not sure why I like Araki's movies, but hey just go with it I guess.

• Mar 27, 2011

Interesting premise, but poor execution. If anything, the first 30 minutes were ok but was terribly boring from there on.

• Feb 24, 2011

Before Araki started making movies marketed directly at self-involved GenX-ers came The Living End. The lead performances leave much to be desired, but if they were any better the film might actually be unwatchably brutal.