The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Reviews

April 22, 2017
Such a fantastic movie! No matter how many times I see this, I never get bored with it. Great start for an amazing trilogy!
April 22, 2017
Though it does suffer from the usual first film in a series cliches with the world building, character introduction and not feeling wholly satisfying as it is left open ended the film gets round most of those issues thanks to the fantastic script, pacing of the plot and direction by Peter Jackson. Those positives are also bolstered by an extremely well chosen cast, excellent production (be it the costumes, designs and settings), an incredible score, solid action, great use of CGI and practical effects and even has some comedic elements that do work well besides the more emotional sides.
April 8, 2017
Amazing. I just literately everything in this movie.
½ April 3, 2017
A perfect beginning to one of the greatest trilogy of films ever, and it happens to be my favorite of the three. An incredible fantasy that brings the world of Middle Earth to life, with a cast that gels together so well. The beginning of a fantastic adventure, while it is an amazing adventure itself.
½ March 30, 2017
Although the film may be slow, the plot, visual effects and the same story as the characters make it a perfect start to this trilogy (as well as capturing the essence of Tolkien's stories)
March 23, 2017
By far the best of this trilogy. Extremely charming and stands well on its own.
March 22, 2017
Very long but worth the watch.
March 20, 2017
Classic start to a modern classic trilogy - probably the only trilogy of recent years that is any good
March 18, 2017
Great movie. Probably my least favorite of the LOTR movies because there's so much exposition but I thought the acting was great. The story is also solid.
March 15, 2017
Love this movie. Makes me want to read the book.
March 15, 2017
The best that Peter Jackson has ever done. Romantic adventure with absolute cinema magic that fantasy of Tolkien has and without battles dictating the pace.
March 15, 2017
This is certainly quite an epic film, at just under 3 hours long, but it's good enough to keep one awake throughout. Once you get past the first 60 minutes, which is a fairly long and drawn out introduction to the ring and characters backgrounds, the action levels pick up and the quest to destroy the ring that would allow evil to rule, begins. We've essentially got an A-list cast setting out on a trek across the world, encountering various different enemies along the way. In this episode we have orcs, bad wizards, and trolls looking to take out our legion of heroes, and the special effects thrown at us are nothing short of impressive. I remember this film was a direct rival to when the first instalment of Harry Potter came out, and this would probably have been my preference in that little duel. I'd say it's aimed at a slightly more mature audience, possibly more males than females, due to its inclusion of sword fights and a little blood and gore. In terms of the actual story, how a useless little band of hobbits would ever survive such a journey is beyond me, as the skilled fighters spend half their time saving the little blighters, rather than destroying the enemy. The cynical side of me knows that if the ring was in the hands of anyone else, the journey would have been a lot quicker, although one could argue they don't have the strong will of Frodo, which makes him resist being seduced by its power. Still, we are where we are, and it's a great example of fantasy coming to life on the big screen. A lot of people will be put off by this because of the running time, and will no doubt have opted to watch Harry Potter instead. However, those who have braved it will have enjoyed it, and will no doubt be glued to the sequels to see how it all pans out. I certainly will be - Forget the geeky wizard and his ginger mate, this is the real sorcery right here ;)
½ March 12, 2017
Alright in and of itself but absolute abomination of the original story.
March 4, 2017
A great and powerful movie. The Lord of The Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is one of the graetest movies of all time.
February 26, 2017
I really don't appreciate the comic relief of this brand of fantasy with jolly little Hobbits and all that, but I accept it in the name of character development. The visuals are great. The music is surprisingly uninspiring, but does the job.
February 26, 2017
Although i find it overrated, the first entry in LOTR is still an epic fantasy with impressive special effects and great casting choices.
February 12, 2017
Lord of the ring:the fellowship of the rings was a masterpiece. Excellent story, excellent action, and the visuals were sharp and excellent.
February 9, 2017
I don't need to tell you about this movie and how good it is you just need to watch this movie.
February 7, 2017
Based on the novel of the same name by J.R.R. Tolkien. My favourite of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.