The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Reviews

½ October 14, 2017
This movie is terrific, Elijah Wood as Frodo, good casting choice, and who could forget Ian as Gandalf

Now the reason I gave this a 4 and a half, is because of the hardcore fandoms, I hate them! When you insult LOTR they attack you and take as a assault on them
October 2, 2017
"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" released in 2001, is the beginning of the story of Frodo and his journey to destroy the ring of power that threatens Middle Earth. The movie makes me feel hopeful. As many moments as there were where the characters experience a lapse of judgment, such as Boromir coming after Frodo and trying to steal the ring just before the battle with the Orcs, Boromir proceeds to redeem himself by sacrificing his life for Merry and Pippin's, as well as declaring his loyalty to Aragorn as his king and their homeland of Gondor.

The movie made me think about how relatable these events and reactions are, as well as how there's a recurring theme between this movie and others like it. In one of the Harry Potter movies (I can't remember which one) Dumbledore says, "We must choose between what is easy and what is right." I feel that the altercation between Frodo and Boromir is an example of that. One thing I found to be particularly interesting was that the ring wraiths seem to fear the elements. This is shown when Aragorn fights them off with fire, and when Arwen sends the rushing water after them after she rescues Frodo to bring him to Rivendell for her father Elrond to save him.

I would have liked to see the special effects done differently. Specifically in the prologue scenes, there were moments where the effects stood out and didn't exactly feel to have cohesiveness within the scenes. I also would have liked to see slower dolly shots. Specifically in the scene where Gandalf and Frodo are talking about the ring and its powers, there were quite a few slow dolly shots used for suspense and reaction. I feel that they would have created even more suspense and a stronger reaction if they were slowed down even more, though maybe that's just the style that I'm used to seeing in films made for today's audience.
September 23, 2017
A sense of pure spectacle, this film began the truly epic experience of amazing characters and mind blowing visuals that was even more heightened by incredible chemistry between the characters and actors of the fellowship.
Bradley T. Johnson
September 21, 2017
I am sad that I am just now catching up on these iconic films. The Fellowship of the Ring is a sprawling, epic and hugely ambitious film, both technically masterful and narratively gripping. It's visual splendor is pure ahead of its time magic. This film is so beautiful to behold that even in 2017, it would have blown people away. What weighs it down somewhat is its excessive length that adds several battering fight scenes, that sometimes border on tedium. But the spectacular grandiosity of it all invokes a feeling of nostalgia and awe at the fantasy elements and characters. A truly exciting start to the series. Rating: 83
September 20, 2017
For extended, but I'll give the same rating to the theater version, which I know is just as good. I have yet to see the movie again, and I'll probably most likely see the theater version.
September 10, 2017
One of the best films what I have ever seen! In my opinion it's better than book.
September 10, 2017
It is a joy to see a story you love brought to big screen in such a faithful and carefully made adaptation. The Lord of the Rings trilogy is clearly a labour of love for Peter Jackson and everyone involved in this film from the acting, costumes, props, music, cgi and beyond. The film is able to take the most important parts of the novel and create Middle Earth on screen in a very believable manner, using the different languages from the books such as the Elvish languages and Black Speech and the landscapes and structures depicted by Alan Lee and John Howe. With such a big cast it's also an achievement that every main character is so well performed, fleshed out and memorable, with Elijah Wood, Ian Mckellen, Sean Bean and Viggo Mortensen's giving particularly great performances. This film has something for everyone whether you are a fan of the books or not, with a mixture of action, romance, humour and high fantasy that is a great introduction to the trilogy and builds excitement for the next film.
September 2, 2017
To long of a movie I'm not watching this again and I'm not a fan of the other ones
August 23, 2017
Wonderfully shot scenes, amazing score, and overall great film and great trilogy
August 14, 2017
BEST MOVIE AND BEST TRIOLOGY EVER. PERIOD.
August 9, 2017
I have seen this movie very often but every time it takes my hart
August 2, 2017
This movie and its follow-ups are the best movies ever made. If you have not seen this movie you have been missing out.
July 26, 2017
Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring

Pros:
- Amazing Acting

- Fantastic Script

- Marvelous Directing

- Spectacular Technical Aspects (Sound Design, VFX, Music, Cinematography, etc.)

- Very Memorable Characters

- Breath-Taking Action Scenes

- Very Well Paced for a movie that is almost 3 hours long

- Very Clever Setup For Other Sequels

Cons:
- None

Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)
½ July 25, 2017
Tolkien's legendary book is treated to an expectation defying, breathtaking and spectacular cinematic transition.
July 16, 2017
Powerful and breathtaking, this first installment is a perfect adaptation of the classic novel, along with an excellent cast, a score that to date is the FINEST in the fantasy genre, and a beautiful re-imagining of all of the iconic locations in painstaking detail. A marvel.
July 13, 2017
A great start movie to the trilogy
July 7, 2017
I know these movies are masterpieces and everything, but this movie can be so freakin boring.
July 3, 2017
Instant classic. Go read the books.
June 27, 2017
An epic film in every meaning of the word.
June 24, 2017
A master-piece of a film! I can't remember a film before this (since Star Wars) that felt truly this epic on such a grand scale. Great music, great performances, great attention to detail. The world just feels lived in. The perfect start to the trilogy.