The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Reviews

June 19, 2018
I grew up reading the books. The magic Peter Jackson and his movie crew created to bring my imagination to the screen simply blew me away. I highly recommend picking up the extended edition.
June 15, 2018
awesome movie! awesome characters! awesome job on putting a great book series on the big screen! special effects awesome! my favorite character, boromir, was perfectly acted.
½ May 28, 2018
Been over a decade since I saw this movie, but I remember it being amazing.
May 19, 2018
Great film! This is definitely a must watch for any movie lovers. I have seen this film multiple times and it is always a very fun watch!
May 16, 2018
The one that started it all..and probably the best one in the greatest trilogy of all time.
May 12, 2018
One of the most difficult stories to tell on films is LOTR and PJ pulled it off. Fellowship is long but is deserving of its run-time due to the ever swelling scope that the movie has to grapple with. It tells the story well and has artistic designs to die for. Incredible music and cinematography with McKellen as Gandalf and Mortensen as Aragorn being the strongest and most likable characters in Fellowship. - also, My favourite film ever
½ May 8, 2018
The first and the best of the saga.
April 24, 2018
It has become a classic and set the standard for the genre. One has to love all the beautiful New Zealand scenes. But I cannot help but feel oppressed by the darkness of all the orcs and goblins. I prefer the dancing swords and arrows of the somewhat lighter Hobbit series. And thank goodness for Cate Blanchett and Liv Tyler adding what little diversity the film has.
April 2, 2018
An epic entry to Middle-Earth, that makes the triumph of evil feel dark, but light at the same time. That it is the decision to do good when the world forces a burden on us.
March 30, 2018
When the evil forces of the evil Lord Sauron (Sala Baker) threaten Middle-Earth, a land populated by peaceful Hobbits, Wise Wizards and Elves, gruff Dwarves and troubled Humans, a young Hobbit named Frodo Baggins (Elijah Wood) and his brave companions is entrusted to destroy the one thing that can give Sauron unlimited power, The One Ring. But evil forces such as the traitourus Wizard Saruman (Christopher Lee) armies of Orcs, Goblins and Trolls and even the Ring itself with it's seductive qualities will do anything to stop them in thier tracks.

From the opening speech that tells the audience the history of the Ring, right up to the powerful cliffhanger of Frodo and his best friend Samwise Gamgee (Sean Astin) leaving the group to destroy the Ring, Director Peter Jackson and his co-writers Fran Walsh and Phillipa Boyens manage to bring J.R.R Tolkien's world to life thanks to the sweeping use of cinematography of New Zealand to give Middle-Earth a massive scope and Grant Major's impressive production design of locations such as the countryside villages of Hobbiton, the beautiful nature-friendly Elf homes of Rivendell and Lothlorien and the dark forboding caves of Moria brings artist John Howe and Alan Lee's visualisation of Tolkien's world into a believable, yet fantastical reality.

The desision to only focus on Frodo's quest, though purists may disagree, was a smart one as the story itself gives a lot of room in the development of it's characters.

Although Frodo himself is a good wide-eyed innocent forced into an unfriendly world, it's the characters that surround him such as the wise, yet kind wizard Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen), the areformentioned Sam, the powerful elf-lords Elrond (Hugo Weaving) and Galadriel (Cate Blanchett) and the members of the Fellowship themselves such as Aragorn (Viggo Mortensen) the destined saviour of the humans of Middle-Earth, the elf prince Legolas ( Orlando Bloom) and the Dwarf warrior Gimli (John Rhys-Davis) and the world building of Middle Earth itself that makes this film such a joy to watch.

Overall despite some dated CGI in terms of how it blends in the amazing practical and model work, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring is an amazing experience that few films of this century have topped and is a great start to the greatest fantasy story of all time.
March 22, 2018
This is my favourite movie of all time. It has the most incredible plot and themes if friendship that I have ever seen. IF YOU HAVEN'T WATHED THIS MOVIE WYD it is spectacular and I'll love it forever haha
March 21, 2018
Possibly one of the greatest fantasy films of all time, The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings delivers on everything that made J.R.R. Tolkien's masterpiece of a book so enjoyable. I'll first start off with Peter Jackson's amazing directing. To turn a book of that magnitude into a movie is just amazing. Then we have acting. Elijah Wood delivers on so many levels. Giving such a young actor such a huge role and then succeeding at it so well, is amazing. Ian McKellen is captivating, Viggo Mortensen is intense, Sean Astin is moving, Cate Blanchett is terrific, Sean Bean is deceiving and Billy Boyd is funny. The visuals are ahead of their time. The screenplay is tremendous and the costume design is jaw dropping. The score is gorgeous as well. All in all, this film is spectacular in every way, shape and form.
½ March 19, 2018
evil guy wants the evil thing, midgets run away
March 17, 2018
I am convinced there are subtle elements of this movie that can be criticized, music, acting, story, visual effects etc.. the flaws are in there somewhere, I just haven't found them yet after a few hundred viewings. Maybe I'll spot something in the next few hundred..
½ March 5, 2018
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring brings J.R.R. Tolkien's classic fantasy novel on the big screen, and the result is a marvelous picture with memorable characters, great cast, awesome plot and epic action.
March 5, 2018
The beginning of something truly special.
March 4, 2018
A fun, exciting, beautiful movie filled with amazing characters played by outstanding actors- a real joy to watch
February 28, 2018
Great chemistry and solid acting from the fellowship, some scenes are very chilling. Dialogue is great! Good start to a trilogy.
½ February 24, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.