The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Reviews

December 12, 2017
Three and a half hours of brilliance (if you watch the directors cut). Great methodology and compelling story telling.Goes from laughs and smiles, to total despair. This was an excellent start to witch is my favourite trilogy.
½ December 11, 2017
Perfect cast, a story with a lot of twists and turns, organized screenplay and good plot, that's how Peter Jackson can demonstrate how genius he is, having constructed this masterpiece.
½ December 10, 2017
Amazing film. I friggin' love it! Lord of the rings is amazing. It's dope.
December 8, 2017
The best movie I've seen since Star Wars!!
½ December 8, 2017
The First Part Of The Trilogy Serves as Beautifully Executed Intoduction, Filled With Eye Schocking Vissuals, Production Design and as Well Explendid Casting, Without Losing A Bit Of The Narrative And/ Or Soul From The Book
December 8, 2017
The Lord of the Rings The Fellowship of the Ring is an epic fantasy thrill ride that I enjoy watching over and over!
December 4, 2017
In my opinion one of the best movies ever made. It is a perfect combination of genres showing friendship, love, adventure and fantasy in most beautiful way. The whole trilogy is directed with such precision and care that it is divine on so many levels.
December 3, 2017
I couldn't get through the first 45 minutes because nothing happened. So with that, I'm not gonna bother with the rest.
December 2, 2017
This is a great movie with adventure, excitement, and action and follows the books exactly.
November 24, 2017
Awesome movie with great action, special effects that still hold up today, the score, acting, the length doesn't effect the pacing at all, it moves you in to a different world that no ther fantasy can, with great emotion and drama, and set design. After all six live action middle earth films I just want more even though I will have to wait a long time more.
November 19, 2017
The reason why this first part of Jackson's 'Lord of the Rings' is superior to his latter two parts is because of restraint. Jackson was restrained from over doing it with the CGI and "epic" battle sequences, which in my opinion does not make a story epic. Part of the reason was simply because Tolkien did not have very many battles in the first part of his book, which thankfully forced Jackson to focus on creating a believable world rather than a believable hack-n-slash action movie.

I don't find much entertainment in watching people mutilate each other, but I love it when a movie engages me in a world, and 'The Fellowship of the Ring' does just that. Certainly the most breathtaking scenes in the movie are the moments of patient observation, when the camera pans around and captures the beautiful settings of Middle Earth. I must give Jackson credit. He did hire some very extraordinary artists that have envisioned one of the grandest interpretations of Tolkien's world.

There are about five particular moments that stick out in my mind and gave me that tingle of goosebumps down my spine when I saw them for the first time. The first is the introduction to Hobbiton. After the somewhat awkward prologue, I was beginning to have my doubts to whether the movie would live up to the book. But the movie surprised me. Hobbiton is perfect. The houses have flower patches and old fences, the roads look worn and made through decades of travel, and the Old Mill spins with the laziness of a quiet town. Every color is vibrant and every moment looks as through it was taken out of a picture book. Although I still don't agree with the particular look of the Hobbits, I believe everything else in Hobbiton is worthy of Tolkien's words.

The second moment comes after Frodo's awakening in Rivendell, and the third, during the exploration of the Halls of Moria. In both moments, the camera pans away from the characters and outward into a static shot of their surroundings. The moments make us feel like we're turning our heads and gazing at the world around us just as the characters do. The golden waterfalls of the elven city mark an interesting contrast with the dark halls of the dwarfish mines, but each are inspiring in their own ways and add to feeling of being engaged in a living world.

My other favorite moments come during the exploration of Lothlorien and the passage down the Anduin. And while I won't go into detail about the scenes, since they really should be experienced without any prior expectations, they are monuments in imaginative cinema. 'The Fellowship of the Ring' is one of those rare movies that I always wish I could reexperience for the first time. Unfortunately, Jackson turned away from exploring Middle Earth in his next two movies, and instead, turned to fighting and warfare. He seems to take a lot of pride in the love story and battle sequences he created in 'The Two Towers' and 'The Return of the King,' but it is was in his first movie when he really got it right. In 'The Fellowship of the Ring,' it's okay if the characters are uninteresting and have silly dialogue. Middle Earth is the star, and the characters are the ones seeing it for the first time.

..but oh was I thankful for it!!! All through the movie I kept on having this big large smile sculpted into my face. For the record, I'm 25 years old, and I've read "The Lord of the Rings" in three times for the first time when I was six or seven years old. Ever since then, I read it at least once or twice a year - therefore you can count me as a fan, for I follow the same cult fan procedure with "The Hobbit" and "The Silmarillion" as well. Now onto the movie... Gosh, I saw it more than one time, and I keep wanting more of it. It just never gets boring! I really enjoyed the little stuff that is found throughout the movie for fans of the books (the map on Bilbo's table in his house comes to mind, it is exactly as the one in "The Hobbit" book that I own), and I also incredibly enjoyed the intro sequence with the re-telling of the battle against Sauron from the Silmarillion, never has an ultimate evil being been so well depicted on the screen. It truly is Sauron.

Those who argue the movie cuts too many parts or that it changes the story too much are totally wrong. This movie could not have shown the whole first time in its entirety - keep in mind that the audiobook version of 'Fellowship of the Ring' lasts well over ten hours, making a movie this long would, well, make it way too long and besides, how would you financially sustain such a project? I've read a reviewer saying he'd make all three books with the time allowed for the first movie alone. I think it would be a very fast-forwarding experience of a movie with 'Alvin and the Chimpmunks' kind of voices, incredibly stupid to say the least.

Ok, so there are changes in the movie - well, this is Jackson's vision of it. All of us have our own visions of the books, which may or may not be compatible with that of Jackson's, but I can safely assume that nobody can say they have a hundred percent the same vision of the story as Tolkien; that's the thing with books: each reader has a different vision of it. As for me, I was blown away. Never before have I felt so much at home in a movie, it is as if I had taken a walk in the town where I grew up, the Shire, Rivendell, Moria, Lorien, everything felt so much like home, I was moved. I cannot tell of another movie that had me shed tears just by seeing a landscape on screen.

As for the changes, well, I found good reasons behind all of them, and let me tell you right away, I was happy that Arwen saved Frodo, yes, maybe coming from a fan it will look like absolute heresy, but I enjoyed the scene a lot. I did not enjoy it because it was supposedly politically-correct to do so, or that I find Liv Tyler to be absolutely attractive; it was just because I felt like even though it was a big change from the book, it was a very good one indeed, it makes you discover the power, determination, and courage of elves and the fact that even elven women, although great in their beauty and seemingly fragile in appearance do not have anything to envy to their male counterparts. And beside, as Arwen is to become a Queen later on, it was pretty good to see her have a great first appearance.

The actors were great, they were a lot into their characters, and for the first time, I saw elves as they were, quick, agile, terrifyingly effective in battle - just look at how Legolas dealed with the hordes of enemies without a single hint of fear in his eyes - these are elves as they should be. Gimli was great too, I know people seem to think many characters were not developed enough, but by the actions you can learn a lot. With Gimli a lot can be learned about the dwarves, their pride, deep sense of honor and family, their mistrust of elves, their love for strong beer and a good fight against anything bigger, and their sheer hatred for orcs and the likes. Aragorn was totally the ranger character, the ending scene as he walked toward the horde of Uruk-Hai warriors was great, his attitude, his clothes, everything about him just cried "ranger". Boromir was very well depicted, desperate to save the people of Gondor, by any mean necessary, robbed of all hope, yet in the end he redeems himself by showing his true valour, deep down, he's willing to die to defeat evil, and when he recognizes his king in Aragorn, on his last breath, I felt like watching a hero die, it was moving. The hobbits were all great, Frodo is deeply sad and fatalist, and Sam is just the 'best friend' everyone would like to have, just as it should be. Finally, we have Gandalf, quite frankly, he looks mighty, Ian IS Gandalf. The faceoff against the Balrog in the Moria is a memorable sequence, and just shows how strong he really is, to be able to vanquish such a foe. I can't wait for his return.

Quite frankly, I can't wait for the two other movies... In the meantime, I'll watch this one over and over again. This movie has everything that a good movie needs to have, and more. Plus, it just might bring more people to actually read books that have more pages than the average little 25 novel that has no value in it, which is great. Parents, maybe some scenes will frighten your kids, but this movie has almost NO blood (even though it has a good share of battle) and the foes are undeniably evil, plus it has good values in it - friendship, courage, responsiblity, sacrifice for a good cause, and the belief that anyone can help to change things. This is worthy of Tolkien, this is a movie that will go down in history as being one of the best ever, for sure.
November 17, 2017
Best trilogy of ALL TIME
½ November 10, 2017
greatest trilogy ever
November 7, 2017
Wonderful work! Divine flight of mind!
November 5, 2017
Of all the Middle Earth films from Peter Jackson I think this is my favourite. It sets the tone for the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and is a beautiful and well-crafted film. Lords of the Rings is my favourite book so to see it all on film, and to see it done properly, is great.
November 4, 2017
A very outstanding epic
October 24, 2017
After almost 7+ years of procrastinating on the 'Extended' Edition, which runs at 3 hours, 45 minutes... I finally got to it. The film, as always, is amazing, and has aged well. The opening sequence is always so epic. The fight scenes are at this point... very Hollywood (one enemy running at you, at a time, and one-shot killing everything, but the heroes barely feel a scratch). The extended scenes are sometimes story filler, and sometimes just slow emotional (characters crying) add-ons. Nonetheless, time to watch the remaining 2 films (another 4 hours, and 5 hours respectively).
½ October 14, 2017
This movie is terrific, Elijah Wood as Frodo, good casting choice, and who could forget Ian as Gandalf

Now the reason I gave this a 4 and a half, is because of the hardcore fandoms, I hate them! When you insult LOTR they attack you and take as a assault on them
October 2, 2017
"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" released in 2001, is the beginning of the story of Frodo and his journey to destroy the ring of power that threatens Middle Earth. The movie makes me feel hopeful. As many moments as there were where the characters experience a lapse of judgment, such as Boromir coming after Frodo and trying to steal the ring just before the battle with the Orcs, Boromir proceeds to redeem himself by sacrificing his life for Merry and Pippin's, as well as declaring his loyalty to Aragorn as his king and their homeland of Gondor.

The movie made me think about how relatable these events and reactions are, as well as how there's a recurring theme between this movie and others like it. In one of the Harry Potter movies (I can't remember which one) Dumbledore says, "We must choose between what is easy and what is right." I feel that the altercation between Frodo and Boromir is an example of that. One thing I found to be particularly interesting was that the ring wraiths seem to fear the elements. This is shown when Aragorn fights them off with fire, and when Arwen sends the rushing water after them after she rescues Frodo to bring him to Rivendell for her father Elrond to save him.

I would have liked to see the special effects done differently. Specifically in the prologue scenes, there were moments where the effects stood out and didn't exactly feel to have cohesiveness within the scenes. I also would have liked to see slower dolly shots. Specifically in the scene where Gandalf and Frodo are talking about the ring and its powers, there were quite a few slow dolly shots used for suspense and reaction. I feel that they would have created even more suspense and a stronger reaction if they were slowed down even more, though maybe that's just the style that I'm used to seeing in films made for today's audience.
September 23, 2017
A sense of pure spectacle, this film began the truly epic experience of amazing characters and mind blowing visuals that was even more heightened by incredible chemistry between the characters and actors of the fellowship.