The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Reviews

July 28, 2016
****
The first, and the best, entry into the Lord of the Rings trilogy sets up an amazing world that would soon become iconic, expertly crafted by Peter Jackson, even if it is way too long.
July 23, 2016
a really beautiful movie and its a inovation of all the movies
July 19, 2016
The best of the trilogy, before computers invaded Middle Earth.
July 18, 2016
Fantastic movie and I love it so much!!!
July 18, 2016
This film changed my life.
July 16, 2016
An amazing heart tugging beginning to the greatest movie trilogy of all time
½ July 16, 2016
One of the best films in cinema history,LOTR gives another more interesting view on fantasy adventure genre.
July 10, 2016
Despite the long run time, the first Lord of the Rings installment is entertaining and emotional with lots of depth put into the story.
July 9, 2016
Definitely recommend watching the Extended Edition since it adds a lot of interesting scenes. This movie is a masterpiece and starts one of the best trilogies of all time.
½ July 6, 2016
The first live-action motion picture set in Tolkien's Middle Earth is nothing short of spectacular.
July 6, 2016
It's an adventure people dream of going on so much they play games and fantasize their lives like they're living it. The modern world of fantasy started with this. I only wish I could play a virtual reality game that could let me go on quests like this.
June 29, 2016
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001) C-178m. ??? D: Peter Jackson. Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Sean Astin, Orlando Bloom, Viggo Mortensen, Ian Holm, Cate Blanchett, Sean Bean. A young hobbit and eight other formidable companions set out on a journey to destroy a powerful ring, which if fallen into the wrong hands could release the Dark Lord Sauron. A most visionary achievement from British film director Jackson with impeccable style and intense vigorousness to match his most frenzied works. Film moves in fit and starts, and lacks the impact of the latter entries, but it pays back in spades; it's still impressive, with near-perfect casting (McKellen is magnificent), spectacular special effects, and overall formidable production. Academy Award winner for Andrew Lesnie's Cinematography and Howard Shore's soaring music. Extended Edition runs 208m. Followed by THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE TWO TOWERS.
Best film ever made.
Kal X. Attenborough
June 28, 2016
It is my firm belief that the standard versions of The Lord of the Rings should be jettisoned in favour of the extended editions universally. Sure, the near 4 hour runtime is a tad steep, but for an absolute masterpiece like this, it's work every second and the first act of undoubtedly the best trilogy in cinematic history!
½ June 28, 2016
Overall I think it was a great movie with a very captivating storyline that kept pretty true to book as well. It was very long but you can watch it one sitting if you want. The only thing they changed was taking out Tom Bombadil and a few other minor things. I would recomend it.
½ June 28, 2016
Overall the film was great. When disregarding the book it has everything an action movie needs, danger, fight scenes and a downfall. Being the first movie in a trilogy it had great exposition introducing the characters in the right ways while still keeping the audience on the edge of their seats as the fellowship of nine makes their way through danger to achieve their goal. Unfortunately for this movie it does have a book attached to it. The text is a war narrative and we don't really get that feel from the movie. In the film we also loose a lot of the heroism in Frodo as he is forced into and out of situations and is forced into quick decisions that he does not make in the book.
June 28, 2016
Overall, I thought the movie was great. It had much adventure and excitement to keep me entertained throughout the whole movie. They did leave some parts out and changed some things, but it stayed pretty close to the book and was short enough to watch all in one sitting. If there was one thing I didn't like, it was that when Frodo got stabbed he couldn't walk and the poison acted much faster than it did in the book. He needed aid from Arwen to get to Elrond. I felt like this took away from his character of being strong as Gandalf tells him in the book, but doesn't tell him in the movie
June 28, 2016
[Warning! This review may contain spoilers about the book and not the movie in order to give a fair review the book has to be mentioned.]

The movie was overall enjoyable with some clear great points and fails. To begin the positives of the move were not few which is a good thing in its own right but onto what those positives are. First was the fitting music and how it enhanced the experience of every scene it was placed in. Second is the CGI effects and how it really added to the depth of the story because of how well done the effects were. The final positive is that the camera angels and lighting where spot on for every scene. Now onto the negatives, to start the filmmakers decided to leave out the character of Tom Bombadil form the text. This being a negative in two ways the first being that film makers do not show that there is a living being alive that is able to overcome the rings power. The second is that the entire forest journey was cut out and that part of the story was so pose to set in the fear of being far away from home in the hobbits. The second negative is that the filmmakers overextended the love story of Aragorn/Strider and Arwen when it was only insinuated in the novel. The final negative is that when Frodo leaves the Fellowship his companions let him go instead of trying to find him and stop him like in the text. So, overall the movie was quite enjoyable but should be taken with a grain of salt as there are many inaccuracies in this film, but even so this gets a sold 3.5-4/5 stars from me.