The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring Reviews

January 20, 2017
My favorite fantasy movie of all time.
January 14, 2017
It's captivating to behold Middle Earth for the first time on the big screen thanks to Peter Jackson's superb direction. Furthermore its large but wonderful cast brings life to its timeless characters that seem to spring right off the pages.
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 9.3/10 - 4.5/5
½ January 6, 2017
A fantasy adventure and Peter Jackson's most recognizable contribution to his craft, "The Fellowship of the Ring" begins the first part of a trilogy of modern classics.
December 22, 2016
They changed a lot from the book but it's still brilliant. The actors' chemistry, emotion, and commitment is unmatched.
½ December 21, 2016
In one word SPECTACULAR!! And definitely one of my favorite film
½ December 20, 2016
J. R. R. Tolkien's original Lord of the Rings Trilogy was very different from Jackson's adaptations. They were a fairytale quest-timid Hobbits exploring the world, having amazing yet terrifying adventures on their way to Mt. Doom. Jackson's Fellowship of the Ring is much darker than its source. There is burden and turmoil of the soul, and constant violence. This definitely speaks to our times and the environment in which this movie was produced, but more so, it is (while different) a masterful portrayal of the original series. And I'll add: it could be more of what Tolkien desired had he not been trapped in the lingering Romantic era of literature. Get over the length; Jackson is retelling a beautiful story, not butchering the story as many directors have done before. His intro to the LOTR series has reintroduced the epic and fantasy to modern cinema with unparalleled power and grace.
December 20, 2016
Epic and monumental for all Tolkien fans. A company managed by the whole crew, from the director, the cast, the production, not counting the smallest detail on the sets
December 14, 2016
This review will be for the three movies: MASTERPIECE! that's it
December 13, 2016
one of the best movies ever made
½ December 11, 2016
It's hard to watch this again and to try and see it ""objectively"" when your childhood (and national pride) is so wrapped up in it. It's a little refreshing to be able to watch it and say, I don't like this kind of filmmaking. The quick closeups and one-liner dialogue, it's big budget big story hollywood here in New Zealand and it knows exactly what it is. And it's really good at what it does.
December 7, 2016
It simply can't get better than this.
December 4, 2016
5 star all the way for the whole trilogy. Peter Jackson has nailed the LOTR story/world pretty damn perfect in all aspects :) love it
December 1, 2016
The casting is impeccable, they played their parts incredibly well, bringing new life to already beloved characters. Peter Jackson was the best possible director for this too. He paid close attention to details that many would have left out. This movie is one of the few successful book-to-movie adaptions.
½ November 30, 2016
It may be my favorite, and the rating may go up, because I'm currently watching the second, and I'm not loving it as much. I'm honestly not really sure what to say, or why I like it. Beyond the fact that I love Elijah Wood, and the rest of the actors and their performances, I don't know what I like about this. The plot and cinematography are pretty good, the action is cool but it doesn't stand out to me because there wasn't a whole lot, and I like the fellowship and the characters in it, aside from the other two Hobbits. I think one reason is that it's almost three hours and I still liked it.
November 26, 2016
It isn't hard to praise Fellowship of the Ring, what's harder is trying to give it proper justice, it isn't an unappreciated film by any stretch of the imagination, but this trilogy is truly one of a kind. Blockbusters were sort of hitting a slump around 1997 with good big budget movies becoming a rarity. Around the time this and Harry Potter came out things started turning around. This was an ambitious, costly project, that delivered in every way possible. Peter Jackson's adaptation is compelling and engaging with top of the line special effects, acting, and a wonderful storyline. A timeliness movie and one of the best films ever made.
November 26, 2016
Rating: 8.4 out of 10.
November 19, 2016
10/10. Best film I've ever seen, hands down.
November 15, 2016
One of my favorites!
½ November 11, 2016
I enjoyed it quite a lot. The effects are amazing for 2001, the characters are perfectly cast, & overall the film is visually stunning.