The Lords of Salem - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lords of Salem Reviews

April 21, 2017
This movie had such potential and started off well, but ended as an artsy, incoherent, mess. I normally like Rob Zombie's movies. This one fell flat on it's face.
½ April 11, 2017
Rob Zombie jerked off into a trash can filled with Old English versions of magnetic poetry.
April 6, 2017
Okay, so everyone's standard beef about how much Zombie borrows from this or that film aside: I have to say that I really loved this one from a visual standpoint and the fact that he finally (FINALLY) backed off of that fucking white-trash aesthetic that he's been stuck on for most of his film career and did something more moody and atmospheric, with some amazing visuals is a big selling point.

Recommended.
February 13, 2017
An intensely frightening film. Rob Zombie manages to capture a profoundly satanic atmosphere mirrored by an excellent tone setting music by John 5. This one is not for all tastes, it's a deliberately paced film not fully intended for the Rob Zombie fanboys. Sheri Moon Zombie shows some real acting talent in this one as the tormented soul persued by the covenant.
½ January 25, 2017
I never truly understood why this film is so hated. Maybe it's its ridiculous b-horror vibe and far-fetched storyline (highly influenced by Rosemary's Baby with a touch of Argento and Kubrick). Still, for a horror buff, Lords of Salem is a fucking fantastic film. Now, that truly depends on your taste in Rob Zombie as a director. In many ways, he wanted Lords of Salem to be his magnum opus. He made it as poetic and cinematically gorgeous as possible. The plot crashes and burns and the acting is terrible (because his wife is still a bad actress) but you have to admire his talent for impeccable cinematography and perturbingly, unsettling work.
½ January 14, 2017
Boasts an impressive atmosphere, but script is dull as fuck and goes absolutely nowhere.
December 17, 2016
Not at all like most of Rob Zombie's films. It was more like a normal horror film.
December 17, 2016
You know how when a film is so bad you forget you've seen it? Unless you really like B ( more like C) movies, don't bother
November 15, 2016
Lame. Might be good background for late night drug fiends but a dull slog for squares demanding coherence, continuity or production value beyond headbanger's ball.
November 2, 2016
Drawing inspiration from the Salem Witch era with moderately chilling results, The Lords of Salem is another dependably idiosyncratic work from writer-director Rob Zombie -- and benefits from his work behind the camera just as much as his talented wife's in front of it.
October 30, 2016
This looked like a nice movie but the story was barely mediocre.
Some interesting casting choices.
½ October 26, 2016
Poorly acted, the film is one long rambling incoherent mess.
½ October 12, 2016
Not worth the time of wasted life you'll never get back
½ August 13, 2016
Disappointing for a Rob Zombie film but decent overall.
½ June 3, 2016
The best music video I've seen in ages.
May 14, 2016
I will always love anything with Sheri Moon Zombie
April 11, 2016
The Lords of Salem seems like it might be another masterpiece from Mr. Rob Zombie. Only thing is, Zombie forgot to include anything scary or slightly interesting and this film is anything but a masterpiece. It starts out extremely weird, but that was expected and then slowly progresses at a normal rate about a female radio Dj who lives in Salem. Slowly strange things start happening and weird creatures appear for a short time, all in what seem like dreams or visions. There is never really a strong connection between any of the characters and you never grow to even care for the main girl. The last 20 minutes are completely insane and messed up and there is no real fitting conclusion to the film. Zombie needs to get back to the form he was for his original movies like Devils Rejects because lately his films are just way to over the top and trippy for the average person who isn't a satanic freak to enjoy.
March 26, 2016
Rob Zombie never lets me down.. I loved it.. the end wasn't up to my expectations but, I feel that he may want to make a 2nd part or atleast I hope he does.. I will watch any horror flix he makes or remakes.. His mind and his way with the ART of Horror movies.. He has a eye for the blood and gore I love..
March 11, 2016
Dull dull dull dull. A good lesson in how to not do horror or cinema or art or work or effort. That's what this film is misplaced effort from the get go, this should have ended as a scribble in a bin. Everything is bad, I really cannot say enough bad bad things about this movie. It's not shocking, it's not horrible or grotesque, it has no mood, plot, story or atmosphere. It's just a dull waste of effort.
NG, don't see me after class, you're expelled.
½ February 25, 2016
The Lords of Salem is a prime example of style over substance. The imagery and atmosphere are excellent, but the story just crumbles slowly into nonsensical devil blahbadeblah.