The Man Who Invented Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Invented Christmas Reviews

January 27, 2019
This movie felt like a misfire of what it was supposed to be. It missed it's audience totally by having an identity crisis. It's to serious for kids and to funny for adults. An unrealistic experience for Charles Dickens, and how he invented his characters. And this is not an adventures movie which makes it boring and dragging with it's entertainment massively. The characters where un-interesting and not creating immersion. You just won't care about most of the characters because there is no value in how they where acted, written and delivered. The director's style is just the casual stuff and nothing out of the special. There is also a serious pacing issue of the main events not unfolding until one third of the movie. The plot is not complex at all and by being chore like as well makes it a hard watch. The humor is totally lacking and there where no actual jokes in the whole movie, which gives the impression of this movie taking it's self to seriously given the fact that it is a magical movie. Or rather it was supposed to be. The complete absence of music in certain scenes is also experience breaking.
Overall sadly this movie is a below average, and I honestly can't see any reason to watch this movie at any time of the year. The conclusion is cheesy, and in the end the movie is just not interesting, entertaining or fun to watch.
½ January 12, 2019
It had a few moments, but wasn't consistently good. It served its purpose as a biographical film that gave us insight into how Charles Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol, but I was disappointed that it didn't pack more Christmas spirit. (First and only viewing - 12/30/2018)
½ December 31, 2018
Piqued curiosity leads to the origins of traditions that the holidays particularly hold while being cherished. The title says it all without disappointing due to not overselling the perfect embodiment of the classic story and the meaning behind it through a thoughtful writing process adjunct to the revealing psychosis, even if it slow sometimes. All in all, a worthy source for yuletide cheers. (B)

(Full review TBD)
December 26, 2018
The real-life account of how Charles Dickens came up with the creation of his timeless characters of A Christmas Carol inspired by his own life and his imagination that forever changed the perception of the beloved holiday. Perhaps a little bit overexplanatory of every single detail of the book, sometimes unnatural, but overall, it is an entertaining and lighthearted holiday movie that gives us a deeper insight of what the unforgettable book meant for the author himself and an ending just as heart-warming as his work.
December 24, 2018
A creative retelling of a classic from a different perspective. Easily a new and future classic itself.
December 23, 2018
Very good movie, enjoyed it highly
½ December 21, 2018
This was a really great movie. Sure, you know exactly how it's going to end, and it's mostly just a footnote in what is the most well-known Christmas tale, but it's nice, warm, and everything a Christmas tale really should be. Itâ(TM)s a family must-watch movie with boxxy software app on Christmas.
December 20, 2018
saw it and liked it but The Bleeker Street Company are the worst! I'll be trying to avoid their products in future. Which is too bad because I love Christmas movies and British Movies!
½ December 19, 2018
An entertaining if lightweight attempt at mashing up a Dickens bigographical with a retelling of A Christmas Carol. Good festive fun.
½ December 15, 2018
Excellent cast and great production...a really fun watch...
½ December 13, 2018
A cute Christmas story about Charles Dickens' inspiration for his novel.

The Man Who Invented Christmas (2017) is a rather charming historical fantasy portrayal of the inspiration and motivations behind Charles Dickens writing A Christmas Carol. That narrative blends Dickens' intriguing childhood of misfortune and trauma with his present misery and financial struggles.

Although, the film is rather straightforward and basic, I found it warm and fun instead of empty and sentimental alone. I do not know how historically accurate much of the movie is, but it presents itself as real other than Dickens' manic creative spring episodes of writing with a vision of his characters.

Dan Stevens is just so charming and likable as Charles Dickens that you really feel at home with his character. He seems like a decent enough man trying his best, and Stevens portrays him realistically as such. Stevens proves himself to be versatile in his acting yet again. From the tender family man and charitable philanthropist, to the mad author and grumpy artist. He plays it all!

I really enjoyed the supporting cast as well. Christopher Plummer plays an excellently cruel and miserly Scrooge. While Jonathan Pryce is one of my favorite aspects of The Man Who Invented Christmas. Pryce plays Dickens' silly and shady father figure with a caring heart and earnest joy. His dramatic depth is evident in his interactions with Stevens. You just laugh and smile while Pryce is on screen.

Overall, The Man Who Invented Christmas may give you some insight into the life of Charles Dickens, but it is mostly an entertaining depiction of the various inspirations behind the world of A Christmas Carol. The reenactment of much of the book is quite delightful!
½ December 12, 2018
slow moving in the beginning, but, was nice to see the character and story development of the Christmas Carol story
½ December 11, 2018
An entertaining film, which shows us how Dickens created the below story of 'A Christmas Carol' and has great interactions between Dickens and Ebeneezer, both played brilliantly by Dan Stevens and Christopher Plummer .
½ December 2, 2018
first, an admission: I LOVE everything about Christmas - the music, the decorations, the family gatherings, and on and on - so a Christmas movie for me is a pretty easy sell. I even enjoy (most) of the Hallmark/Lifetime movies in spite of their obvious, ahem, budgetary limitations. Having said that, this movie is absolutely wonderful. It is full budget, beautifully shot (and lit! Wow), beautifully acted, wonderfully written and legitimately clever in the way it imagines how ordinary events in Dickens' life may have influenced his timeless book "A Christmas Carol". I expected a charming movie, and I got it, but the real surprise was the way the writers added a little bite and real drama. Mixed in with all the charm is an engaging story of an author struggling with his demons, and I thought the way they developed the Scrooge character as an embodiment of those struggles was quite clever. I would definitely recommend this as a wonderful and worthy addition to any family's Christmas movie collection.
½ November 25, 2018
The Man who Invented Christmas tells a fictional biopic story of Charles Dickens and his inspiration of writing his book A Christmas Carol. Dan Stevens played Dickens and Christopher Plummer acted out the scenes of Mr. Scrooge in Dickenâ(TM)s imaginary mind. Great inspirational story, wonderful script, another beautiful entertaining movie for the holidays. Stevens sure knows how to pay a villain much like his character in the Marvel series Legion. Definitely a great movie with a wonderful cast, definitely add this to your library.
½ November 18, 2018
I thought that the set and costume design of the film was very good. But I found that I began to loose interest in the film after a while since I have heard the story of â~A Christmas Carolâ(TM) in a lot of other films before.
November 16, 2018
I wish we had more movies with such acting, such a script, such directing, such costumes and sets.
November 8, 2018
Very funny, laughed quite a bit while watching it on my flight back home from Bkk on 5 Nov 2018. Wonderful performances by all,
October 31, 2018
It's fascinating to delve deep into the mind of Charles Dickens as he raced to write a renowned and beloved Christmas story that still affects the way the holiday is celebrated today. Dan Stevens does a marvelous job in his portrayal of Dickens but it's the delightful way the movie tells the story behind the author's inspiration for A Christmas Carol that makes The Man Who Invented Christmas a magical experience.
October 24, 2018