The Man Who Invented Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Invented Christmas Reviews

½ August 31, 2018
A very enjoyable and interesting portrayal of the creation of A Christmas Carol.
August 9, 2018
This movie somehow manages to do the impossible and make "A Christmas Carol" feel fresh again. It's intriguing to see the story behind the story and how Charles Dickens blended reality with fantasy to create one of the world's most beloved stories. A must-see at Christmas for sure.
July 27, 2018
*** 'NO MOVIE IS USELESS IN THIS WORLD WHICH LIGHTENS THE BURDENS OF ANOTHER' ***
July 9, 2018
Very sweet Christmas tale.
½ July 4, 2018
I really liked this. That climax left much to be desired, though. The confrontation between Dickens and Scrooge as the final chapter was being written was played up as if it were clever, deep, and mind-blowing (when it was none of those things). They did some overshooting in that scene. But overall, it was a very pleasant viewing experience.
June 15, 2018
Dan Stevens (IV) rocks!
June 11, 2018
This was an amazing movie. I really enjoyed it and I thought it was very well done. I highly recommend seeing this movie.
½ May 30, 2018
Not a missed note: script, direction,acting, set, costume, everything about the adaptation is first rate. Christopher Plummer is the best Scrooge ever.
May 20, 2018
It is slow and dark. Why are all movies lately so dark one can barely make out the people on screen.
May 17, 2018
Wow what an emotional rollercoaster this is an amazing biography with the perfect fantasy .. I mean it's the perfect family movie it's a great Christmas movie the acting is phenomenal & it's a movie for all ages and all times bravo..
The movie emphasizes the fact that we all make mistakes and no matter how many mistakes we make we can always go back and fix them no matter what your past is it doesn't determine your future it talk about how your spouse can, your soulmate can be the energy & the power that keep pushing you forward that understands your flaw and imperfections & loves you even in spite of them but mostly talks about "Goodness" & that good always comes back to you
May 10, 2018
The Man Who Invented Christmas is a 2017 biographical drama film directed by Bharat Nalluri.
Well I'm a a big fan of both Charles Dickens and of Christmas, so I was always going to enjoy this movie. And I did enjoy it, made more so as I was familiar with all of the references and characters. It is not a heavy film, and is mostly family friendly. After a slowish start the main story then begins and it uses some clever tricks to depict Dickens' thought and imaginings. I did have a few small issues though: Dickens in real life was much more confident and self-assured, and I thought the Blacking Factory sub-plot, though accurate, was overused. I would also have liked to see more title text information at the end describing how Dickens did in fact re-invent Christmas and make certain symbols and customs more popular. But overall this is an entertaining and well set period movie which will no doubt become a family favourite at Christmas.
April 25, 2018
Fantastic story and neat to see how a book is formed. Always loved the story. I always consider a movie good when I'm vested in the characters. And that's exactly what has happened here. Very inspiring!
April 13, 2018
A terrific spin on how A Chistmas Carol was written.....Bravo.
½ April 10, 2018
Dose not quite deliver
April 8, 2018
Maybe it was bad timing. It just didn't capture my attention enough. I was too distracted.
½ April 5, 2018
This film is a very amusing, lighthearted historical fiction about Charles Dickens' novella "A Christmas Story." It is enjoyable to watch as Dickens--wonderfully played by Dan Stevens (Downton Abbey)--goes through the trials and tribulations of writing a successful story after two "flops." It is very ingenious in employing appearances by Ebenezer Scrooge (Christopher Plummer) giving him ideas in his imagination, and actual acquaintances speaking using "quotes" from the resulting book. The only problem is that it gives more credit to OTHERS (whom he knows) than to the actual imagination and genius of Dickens himself! It even goes so far as to tell us that Dickens had no idea of the ability of Scrooge to "repent" and change until after he had begun writing the part of the Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come, when the story implies his change all the way through. Nevertheless, it is very entertaining if partly fictitious. It is fun to watch, and the scenery and ambience of 19th century London is excellent. Stevens and, to a lesser extent, Plummer, really make this film.
April 5, 2018
This is a fun film. Puts an interesting fantasy take on an old classic A Christmas Carol. You'll love the scenes where Dickens finds inspiration. I wanted to see this film in the theaters but waited to buy in on DVD and i will enjoy watching it multiple times.
April 3, 2018
Surprisingly good movie, with only a few corny moments.
March 30, 2018
Delightful. Worth your time and money.