The Man Who Invented Christmas - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Who Invented Christmas Reviews

½ March 19, 2018
Excellent Christmas tale about a young Dickens with writers block and his inspiration for his classic A Christmas Carol. The story, costumes and sets put you back in 1843.
March 18, 2018
Reviewed 12.8.17. As a biographical retelling of the intense period of Charles Dicken's life in the lead up to the release of A Christmas Carol, it succeeds. And is surprisingly accurate with its facts for such a lighthearted movie. As far as it's toothless version of A Christmas Carol itself, it'll depend on your particular viewing preferences. Without a scare in sight, it screams family movie. It's something the whole clan can squeeze on the couch and watch on Xmas Eve. You've been welcomed, and forewarned.
½ March 16, 2018
Si "A Christmas Carol" a déjà été adapter à maintes reprises au cinéma, il est tout de même très intéressant de voir l'histoire de la création de ce classique de la littérature.
March 15, 2018
Entretenida, para gente como yo que no leemos novelas ni cuentas ni poemas ni prosas ni estrofas ni estrofas; muy recomendable, no creo ser el único que no sabia quien era Dickens
March 10, 2018
it is dark in places, but gives a fascinating insight into the imagination of Charles Dickens. Christopher Plummer is an excellent Scrooge.
½ March 10, 2018
Better annual xmas selection than Charlie Brown Xmas , ill tell ya that much. Will see it again ....details of dickens' absolutely incorrigible father is a story in itself ...might be a sleeper in the holiday classics dept.
March 9, 2018
I liked the premise (Dickens' characters become real to him and inform his writing; in a sense they create him instead of the other way around) but I thought Dan Stevens (late of Downton Abbey), the lead, over acted. Christopher Plummer, I think, has never turned in a bad performance and, as Scrooge, redeems the film.
I don't think it will be a classic, but 3 stars for trying.
March 8, 2018
i thought this was a great movie on charles dickens book a Christmas story
½ February 26, 2018
It exceeds in areas and slogs in others, but Dan Stevens' portrayal of Dickens is lively enough to make up for it's run-time.
½ February 25, 2018
I really well done movie! Very inspirational and just a good wholesome film!
February 25, 2018
An interesting look at how the classic Charles Dickens story 'A Christmas Carol' came to be. Dan Stevens does a great job as Dickens but it's the magic of how Dickens was inspired and what it ended up producing is what makes it so magical.
February 24, 2018
Brilliantly acted but painfully slow. At good 20 min of this should have wound up on the cutting room floor. Still far better than most Christmas movies.
½ February 22, 2018
An interesting spin on a story most everyone in the West knows by heart, the story behind the story as it were. Nothing too dramatic here (because Christmas is in the very title, eh?), simply lighthearted fun over well known territory. Everyone performs admirably but Plummer, Pryce, Stevens and Coyne (the unseen writer, yah) bring home the bacon.
February 8, 2018
Though Christopher Plummer gives one of, if not, the best scourge performances ever put to screen, the movie fails to live up to the name and not really reinventing anything special in a pretty average movie.
½ February 6, 2018
Despite some overacted scenes by the father of the protagonist, The Man Who Invented Christmas doesn't transmit so goodly the Christmas vibe as other great Christmas's movies, but Dan Stevens performance is outstanding as the dazzling visual effects and the strong, clever and well-written script
February 6, 2018
This is a Hallmark channel movie. It will wind up there eventually. If you like Hallmark Christmas movies, then this will be your cup of tea. ..

Ho, Ho, Ho drink your tea, Santa!

For an $8 ticket, you get $5.49 worth of entertainment.
February 4, 2018
A delightful and deep look into the creative writer's mind that explores the origins of the classic Christmas story.
½ February 2, 2018
The Man Who Invented Christmas is a compelling and whimsical fictionalized telling of Charles Dickens' writing of A Christmas Carol. Having lost the faith of his publishers after a string of failed novels and dwindling finances, Charles Dickens comes up with a scheme to self-publish a Christmas book that will put him back on top; but to do so he'll have to confront the ghosts of his past. The film does an impressive job at showing the creative process, with Dickens literally bringing characters to life and interacting with them as he develops them. Dan Stevens does a good job at playing Charles Dickens, and Christopher Plummer is perfectly cast as Scrooge. Additionally, newcomer Anna Murphy brings a lot of charisma as the nurse/muse who inspires Dickens. Also, the sets and costumes are especially well-done, giving a real Dickensian feel to the film. Inspirational, with a little bit of magic, The Man Who Invented Christmas is an entertaining look behind the novel that forever changed the way we see Christmas.
January 31, 2018
Great movie. Very well done.
½ January 16, 2018
Very few stories pack the emotional punch that A Christmas Carol does but in recent years the emotional punch of something like Tiny Tim's passing doesn't hit as hard because we have seen it before. This is where The Man Who Invented Christmas absolutely thrives because it allows us to experience that punch again when we have to witness the first people reading the early drafts, the drafts where Tiny Tim does die and it's powerful. We have to witness a version of Ebenezer who was never going to change no matter what he is shown. The audience's knowledge of the story is used to play them like a fiddle, pulling the rug out as we watch Charles Dickens taking the story a way we don't know, a way we didn't expect and we hope that he'll manage to get the tale done in time. We get to see the stress and panic that went into creating this tale, the toll it takes on Dickens and the memories it pulls up from his days in the workhouse. I genuinely didn't know about that portion of Dickens' life but here it is, presented as backstory and something he must handle in order to finish his novel. Really, apart from the opening scene in America which just feels tacked on pointlessly, the movie uses everything it has in order to retell and reinvent the classic tale.