The Man Who Invented Christmas Reviews

• Sep 12, 2019

"Merlin/Merlin, the Musical"…an actual play. Exciting idea. Olympic effort. Like this one. BUT, if a movie had been clawed together about the trials and tribulations of the Merlin story, it would (also) have resulted in death by a thousand tiny cuts to everyone who saw it. In this offering, Charles Dickens seems beaten down at every turn by contrived, cheesily formulated struggles. Rarely have I thought, all the way through, that the author seemed to be swimming uphill at every turn to be inventing under-developed, forgettable challenges to keep me awake and leaning forward in anticipation rather than leaning back, dozing. It seemed, from the outset, that the story was constructed exclusively around the skeleton of a wonderful idea. Great bricks. Bad cement. It became an idea stitched together by one insertion of manufactured challenge followed by another. Occasionally defying communion. The story was more like an endless rough road rather than a smooth highway. I felt bounced out at the end. Too bad . . . It could have been sensational. The author is credit-worthy. Why didn't she take the extra time to massage her imagination and put it together right? The story has a good ending but we already knew that from when we were kids. Maybe it was the screen writer that caused the damage. It looks more like the story of an author who was working against a deadline and wound up pulling the plug on herself.

• hks
    Aug 27, 2019

This was a surprisingly good experience! Wonderfully executed storyline with some good performances.

• Apr 03, 2019

This is one of those movies that you go into with low expectations. It looks like a Lifetime movie and the plot is "Writer finds the inspiration to write his master work from every day things". Think of Resse Witherspoon hitting her chest going "It Burns Burns Burns" in Walk the Line. But it is a pleasant surprise. Granted, I didn't expect anything more than a pleasantly diverting movie that derives most of its charm from a story that has been around for almost two centuries now. Yet, it has a great deal to offer beyond the already decent story. Christopher Plummer is amazing as Scrooge come to life. The scene where he asks if Scrooge could make a case for the free market made me laugh very hard. The rest of the actors are fine, but Christopher Plummer pushes this movie past the "it's fine" level that I was expecting well into the "I may have to watch this again" levels. Definitely give this one a view.

• Mar 14, 2019

I like this movie. definitely a good example of how to make a GOOD behind the scenes book story. looking at you Into The Heart of The Sea. yuck!

• Jan 27, 2019

This movie felt like a misfire of what it was supposed to be. It missed it's audience totally by having an identity crisis. It's to serious for kids and to funny for adults. An unrealistic experience for Charles Dickens, and how he invented his characters. And this is not an adventures movie which makes it boring and dragging with it's entertainment massively. The characters where un-interesting and not creating immersion. You just won't care about most of the characters because there is no value in how they where acted, written and delivered. The director's style is just the casual stuff and nothing out of the special. There is also a serious pacing issue of the main events not unfolding until one third of the movie. The plot is not complex at all and by being chore like as well makes it a hard watch. The humor is totally lacking and there where no actual jokes in the whole movie, which gives the impression of this movie taking it's self to seriously given the fact that it is a magical movie. Or rather it was supposed to be. The complete absence of music in certain scenes is also experience breaking. Overall sadly this movie is a below average, and I honestly can't see any reason to watch this movie at any time of the year. The conclusion is cheesy, and in the end the movie is just not interesting, entertaining or fun to watch.

• Jan 06, 2019

It had a few moments, but wasn't consistently good. It served its purpose as a biographical film that gave us insight into how Charles Dickens wrote A Christmas Carol, but I was disappointed that it didn't pack more Christmas spirit. (First and only viewing - 12/30/2018)

• Jan 06, 2019

Good story with good acting and leaves you feeling good.

Good story with good acting and leaves you feeling good.

• Jan 05, 2019

I have no idea why this didn’t do better cinematically. It’s a great story with great acting.

• Dec 26, 2018

The real-life account of how Charles Dickens came up with the creation of his timeless characters of A Christmas Carol inspired by his own life and his imagination that forever changed the perception of the beloved holiday. Perhaps a little bit overexplanatory of every single detail of the book, sometimes unnatural, but overall, it is an entertaining and lighthearted holiday movie that gives us a deeper insight of what the unforgettable book meant for the author himself and an ending just as heart-warming as his work.

• Dec 24, 2018

A creative retelling of a classic from a different perspective. Easily a new and future classic itself.