The Monuments Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Monuments Men Reviews

May 20, 2017
Watched 30 minutes and fell asleep. Worst movie of the year.
April 30, 2017
Not the best told story, especially in the beginning, but an absolutely worthwhile story. A definite must see for an alternative aspect of the war.
½ April 22, 2017
Amazing actors! Zero plot, action, or comedy. Worst piece of crap I have ever wasted my life on! Never watch this!!!
½ April 20, 2017
The Monuments Men largely wastes a fascinating true story and an a-list cast on a boring, slow movie that's severely lacking in conflict and tension, and whose attempts at inspiration often come across as pretentious.
April 15, 2017
170414: I don't want to leave the impression I did not enjoy this film. The historical perspective intrigued me and I wanted to know so much more. Considering the amazing cast and fantastic history however, The Moments Men just never quite satisfies. With a few peaks and valleys along the way, the finale just left me flat.
½ March 24, 2017
A fabulous cast telling a tremendous story, but sadly the narrative and direction lacks any energy or sense of hazard. It is simply a loosely connected series of scenes. An opportunity wasted, unusually for the usually Midas-touched Clooney.
March 14, 2017
This is based on a remarkable true story and featuring an all-star cast the film tries to be impressive. But maybe a bit too much so, with some scenes being overly patriotic. It is entertaining and informative but not exceptional.
February 26, 2017
Great cast but other then that its lacking all around.
½ February 24, 2017
Underrated feel good buddy comedy that has some older Allied gents trying to save art masterpieces from the clutches of greedy opportunistic Nazi types. While uneven this Clooney love child has it's moments.
February 3, 2017
I wanted to like this more. I'm sure they had fun making it. But the writing was just not worthy of the talent, or the subject matter. Sigh.
January 28, 2017
A great story however I thought too comical and it could have been much better if more dramatic
½ January 20, 2017
This is just barely passible. It floats only because of the performances by its cast. On Blu-Ray.
January 13, 2017
One would think that this is a great premise for a great story and a great film, but the problem is that Monuments Men never gets you really interested in any of the characters. They probably should have focused on one German, one American, and perhaps one French or Belgian. Instead, you have a disjointed plot skipping around Europe and you end up caring very little for any of it. Using big name stars only makes you more separated from the characters, the period of time, and the story itself. It would have been much better if they had used good actors little known to the public, or if they are going to use famous actors, shrink the story down to focus on only a few people and develop those characters more. The Train, a great 1964 movie with Burt Lancaster and Paul Scofield, touched on the same subject and did a lot more with a lot less.

One detail of the movie that really annoyed me was that they made up the character of Preston Savitz, played by Bob Balaban. This character was based on Lincoln Kirstein, who brought George Balanchine to New York from Russia. Together they later established the New York City Ballet after the war. He was a remarkable enough character on his own to warrant a film. It was his vast knowledge of art that led to him and architect Robert Posey (played by Bill Murray) in finding the Ghent Altarpiece-- the central piece of art in the film. Kirstein was very tall and had very strong features-- very different than Bob Balaban. They should have made the entire film revolve around Lincoln Kirstein-- you would have ended up caring about his character they you would have ended up with a much more engaging and satisfying picture.
January 7, 2017
A terrific film which covers a part of WWII unknown to most. The story traces the journey of half a dozen men including an architect, sculptor and museum curator.

Based on true events, the film shows the group working to save major art works stolen from museums and private collections, especially art owned by Jews who would be killed by the Nazis.

There is great poignancy in their struggle, successes, as well as failures, shown in the movie.

If you like WWII movies, you will also enjoy the heroics shown by Americans, British and French soldiers to return these artworks.
January 3, 2017
It's should've been better than this
January 2, 2017
Continuing my trend of docudramas... Another one with charm but where not much happens and scenes seem designed to merely drag out the running time. As vanilla a war film as you will ever see. In the end, we are left asking the same question as President Truman: was it worth it?
December 30, 2016
I was really bored with this movie.
December 24, 2016
Freaking golden cast, why am I just not hearing about this?
November 18, 2016
la historia de deja ver que no solo matando en una guerra se gana, gracias a esas personas hoy existen los museos como el louvre y miles de obras de arte
November 6, 2016
Basada en una historia real, 'The Monuments Men' cuenta la historia de un equipo militar, especializado en arte, que se encarga de rescatar las obras de arte que Hitler robaba para su museo personal. Bajo encargo de Franklin Delano Roosevelt, este equipo de expertos en arte se enrola en el ejercito con el único fin de recuperar estas obras como vestigios de una cultura que de caer en manos del nazismo hubiese significado la aniquilación de la existencia de las culturas amenazadas. Con George Clooney, (dirigida por él), Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman y Cate Blanchet,,