The Monuments Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Monuments Men Reviews

February 3, 2017
I wanted to like this more. I'm sure they had fun making it. But the writing was just not worthy of the talent, or the subject matter. Sigh.
January 28, 2017
A great story however I thought too comical and it could have been much better if more dramatic
½ January 20, 2017
This is just barely passible. It floats only because of the performances by its cast. On Blu-Ray.
January 13, 2017
One would think that this is a great premise for a great story and a great film, but the problem is that Monuments Men never gets you really interested in any of the characters. They probably should have focused on one German, one American, and perhaps one French or Belgian. Instead, you have a disjointed plot skipping around Europe and you end up caring very little for any of it. Using big name stars only makes you more separated from the characters, the period of time, and the story itself. It would have been much better if they had used good actors little known to the public, or if they are going to use famous actors, shrink the story down to focus on only a few people and develop those characters more. The Train, a great 1964 movie with Burt Lancaster and Paul Scofield, touched on the same subject and did a lot more with a lot less.

One detail of the movie that really annoyed me was that they made up the character of Preston Savitz, played by Bob Balaban. This character was based on Lincoln Kirstein, who brought George Balanchine to New York from Russia. Together they later established the New York City Ballet after the war. He was a remarkable enough character on his own to warrant a film. It was his vast knowledge of art that led to him and architect Robert Posey (played by Bill Murray) in finding the Ghent Altarpiece-- the central piece of art in the film. Kirstein was very tall and had very strong features-- very different than Bob Balaban. They should have made the entire film revolve around Lincoln Kirstein-- you would have ended up caring about his character they you would have ended up with a much more engaging and satisfying picture.
January 7, 2017
A terrific film which covers a part of WWII unknown to most. The story traces the journey of half a dozen men including an architect, sculptor and museum curator.

Based on true events, the film shows the group working to save major art works stolen from museums and private collections, especially art owned by Jews who would be killed by the Nazis.

There is great poignancy in their struggle, successes, as well as failures, shown in the movie.

If you like WWII movies, you will also enjoy the heroics shown by Americans, British and French soldiers to return these artworks.
January 3, 2017
It's should've been better than this
January 2, 2017
Continuing my trend of docudramas... Another one with charm but where not much happens and scenes seem designed to merely drag out the running time. As vanilla a war film as you will ever see. In the end, we are left asking the same question as President Truman: was it worth it?
December 30, 2016
I was really bored with this movie.
December 24, 2016
Freaking golden cast, why am I just not hearing about this?
November 18, 2016
la historia de deja ver que no solo matando en una guerra se gana, gracias a esas personas hoy existen los museos como el louvre y miles de obras de arte
November 6, 2016
Basada en una historia real, 'The Monuments Men' cuenta la historia de un equipo militar, especializado en arte, que se encarga de rescatar las obras de arte que Hitler robaba para su museo personal. Bajo encargo de Franklin Delano Roosevelt, este equipo de expertos en arte se enrola en el ejercito con el único fin de recuperar estas obras como vestigios de una cultura que de caer en manos del nazismo hubiese significado la aniquilación de la existencia de las culturas amenazadas. Con George Clooney, (dirigida por él), Matt Damon, Bill Murray, John Goodman y Cate Blanchet,,
October 9, 2016
I agree fully with the critical consensus. I really looked forward to the movie due to the cast and the soundtrack by Alexandre Desplat, but the narrative is "curiously slack" and the drive is absent.
½ October 6, 2016
George Clooney's awkward treatment of a fascinating true story leaves the Monuments Men falling flat.
½ September 16, 2016
9/14/16 I just watched this 2 nights ago, but these reviews need to be done immediately because I already forget my major comments about the film. The story is quit interesting, because it is true, but the film lacks some authenticity. Why in the world does the museum woman who has all this info on what the Nazis did with the art withhold that info? It is pretty obvious that it is done to add drama. It is also difficult to follow where the men are and what the objective of each group is. At one point, they are wandering around an abandoned city, then they are being shot at. Again, I think that was added for dramatic effect. I liked it, but it was hard to tell what they were doing and it was hard to tell when they were successful (or why it was successful).
½ September 11, 2016
Eine eher langatmiger Film gespickt mit einigen interessanten und humorvollen Szenen. Leider kann die Starbesetzung mit Mat Damon und George Clooney den Verlust des Roten Fadens nicht wieder wettmachen, den man nach kurzer Zeit erleiden muss. Der Film baut leider keine Spannung auf und man hat auch nach längerer Zeit kein Bedürfnis danach den Film zu Ende zu schauen. Alles in Allem keine echte Filmempfehlung.
September 2, 2016
would give a better rate, but was honestly expecting way more from an Allstar cast. Not a bad movie, just had a good amount of boring scenes.
August 28, 2016
Why did George Clooney make this as a movie instead of as a six-part mini-series? There are too many stories and too many characters to fit neatly into a two hour movie. Each one of those sub-plots warranted a better treatment. And the movie is heavy-handed: it lacks dramatic tension, is choppy between the vignettes, and is over-laden with political-emotional messages.
August 8, 2016
A bit of a mess. Couldn't decide if it was a light-hearted caper, a serious war movie, or something between the two.
½ July 17, 2016
James Granger (Matt Damon): Stop, stop. Stop. I seem to have stepped on a land mine... of some sort.
Frank Stokes (George Clooney): Why d'you do something like that?
James Granger (Matt Damon): It was a slow day.
Frank Stokes (George Clooney): Well, I wouldn't move.
James Granger (Matt Damon): I'd like to at some point.

This was a really cool film. It was awesome that some people valued art enough to join the U.S. Military in order to save some priceless works of art. The ensemble was great; normally, I'm not a fan of Clooney, but he was really good in this one. Damon, Murray and Goodman were great too but my favorite was Bob Balaban- he was just the awesomest!!! Overall, interesting story and a really nice art lesson to boot.
July 17, 2016
Even the starry cast couldn't save the movie from the lack of thrill in it.