The Motel Life Reviews

• Nov 03, 2018

This is a good movie, but will definitely bore a lot of people. It's very slow pace, but tells a nice story of 2 brothers that are very poor and who look out for each other. Emile Hirsch and Stephen Dorff both do a good job with their characters. I was surprised and disappointed that this is the only feature Film the Polsky brothers have done. They definitely need to get back to making movies. This movie shows a lot of talent with both of them.

• Dec 24, 2016

The story of two orphan and strongly bonded brothers. I have been set eye on this for some time, but only now I been able to see it. It was not as good as I expected, but an okay film. The story of two brothers who were orphaned at very young age and since then they have never been parted as they promised to their mother. Now grown up to adult, one of them commits an accident and decides to run away with it. When the law makes the progress on the case that leads to them, what's now and how they fight it was focused in the rest. Very ordinary screenplay. Feels like a bit realistic, but there's nothing much happening at all. Thanks to those additional animations which actually lifted the film a bit. I loved those sequences over the real film. So this for the first directional film for the Polsky brothers and they were okay. I liked the cast of the brothers. apart from them there's no one that impressive. The romance was very weak, though only the ending was high. I don't know the novel, it was based on, but the film lacked some good scenes or the events. Not just one or two, but in many parts the film should have been better. They should have altered the storyline from the original source. Especially the fate of amputated brother was too intentional as story wanted to end other way around. It was all the sudden and ruined the rhythm. The film is not good for everyone's viewing, so I suggest you be a careful if you want to try it. 5/10

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Aug 29, 2016

The dark indie drama The Motel Life is a macabre tale that's pointless and depressing. Based on a novel, two brothers, Frank and Jerry Lee Flannigan, are a couple of lowlifes living out of motels and cars who go on the run after killing a kid in a hit-and-run. The film has strong themes of living in regret and brotherly love, but the characters are unsympathetic degenerates. Starring Emile Hirsch, Stephen Dorff, and Dakota Fanning, the cast is pretty decent; however their performances are bland and uninspired. The directing is also an issue and is rather static; aside from randomly inserted animated sequences whenever Frank tells his brother a story. The Model Life is a largely forgettable film that doesn't really have anything to say.

• Aug 26, 2016

Well made, but flat.

Well made, but flat.

• Oct 22, 2015

Talented cast for sure. Great graphics for sure. The story, less sure. I see it as a modern remake of Of mice and men with more reallistic characters. It is infinitely better than the original but it is still too similar. Dakota looks very much the part of a low life in this. Quite amazing.

• Oct 22, 2015

• Oct 14, 2015

no characters to like here & frankly a waste of some good acting talent

no characters to like here & frankly a waste of some good acting talent

• Jul 28, 2015

Started off a reasonable film and fell a bit flat halfway through. Still reasonably enjoyable.

• Mar 24, 2015

Honest film with good photography.

Honest film with good photography.

• Mar 17, 2015

superb adaptation to the book!

superb adaptation to the book!