The Mule Reviews

• DAN H
    3h ago

I like Clint Eastwood films!

I like Clint Eastwood films!

• 2d ago

An unusual way to earn a little extra for retirement, but not to recommend

An unusual way to earn a little extra for retirement, but not to recommend

• 3d ago

Loved this. Clint Eastwood is awesome at 89.

Loved this. Clint Eastwood is awesome at 89.

• 5d ago

Today I will be taking a look at The Mule, which is the 37th film Clint Eastwood has directed (The Dude is 88 years old!) Walking into this movie I thought I would be getting a classic gritty Eastwood performance where he is the biggest badass on the screen. However, within the opening minutes of the movie you learn that he is not that guy; his character Earl Stone dances, he sings and he has no problem getting after it with the ladies. He likes to tell racist jokes and tends to enjoy his life, however that has come at the cost of his family. This movie bangs it into your head that he was not there for his family because he was a world famous Horticulturist. However, he has hit hard times and through a connection becomes a Drug Mule for the Cartel (run by the always wonderful Andy Garcia). He is reliable and good at the job and works his way up throughout the movie. All this is happening while the FBI is piecing together the puzzle and has Bradley Cooper and Michael Pena leading the case. These two guys are so good together in every scene that it made me absolutely livid that they are hardly in this. I thought that was the biggest issue because the stakes never felt high enough due to the fact they underdeveloped those characters. I honestly just want a spin off with these two going around solving crimes Dukes of Hazzard style. This movie definitely drags at times and it really has a lot of disdain for the younger generation. Eastwood's character yells at multiple younger adults about being on their phones, and the consistent racism he shows is remarkably out of touch. A couple other Tidbits: - His Daughter is played by his real life daughter Allison, who is actually solid in her limited role. - If the cops know what color your car is why would you not get a new car? - The Music was very ironic at all times throughout this movie The story is a little leap of faith but Eastwood does a good job keeping the movie flowing and never letting it get too dull. However as the movie wound down I did start to wonder what the point was of what I just watched. I felt it did not make me really feel anything at all, and to be honest that is ok because sometimes a movie can just be solid and enjoyable. That is what the Mule is. Juice Rating: 64/100

• Nov 01, 2019

So overrated… Just because a movie is directed by Clint Eastwood it doesn't mean it is good. It is quite the opposite. It is unoriginal, I already saw this story in many other movies, it is cliched, it is predictable, the performances are boring as the entire too long movie. The soundtrack is poor and it doesn't even have any thrilling scenes. What a disappointment!

• Nov 01, 2019

Incredible cast in this heart wrenching tale of an old man getting caught up in the drug trade. In typical Eastwood fashion this role is written for him and also behind the lens. A very lively Mexican style musical score has you even Rooting for old Clint.

• Oct 31, 2019

This movie has depth and is full of emotion. It is thoroughly entertaining from start to finish. Eastwood has dissected his character extremely well.

• Oct 28, 2019

Such stereotypes, predictable, not fresh dialogue- some really bad, wanted it to get over with....

• Oct 27, 2019

Pretty cliché ridden predictable tale. Clint is passed his prime and the story is rather lame.

• Oct 25, 2019

Clint Eastwood is a director I've wanted to get into for quite a while. So I decided to start off with this, since it dropped on Netflix yesterday. I actually really liked this movie. The story does feel like it's all over the place, but I did have a really good time with this. It's not something everyone will enjoy, but it is one of those movies that you just have a great time with.