The Orphanage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Orphanage Reviews

October 25, 2018
Not as scary as I thought it could be, but in the dramatic factor, it's surprisingly very effective with good direction by J.A Bayona, creepy yet (for lack of a better word) elegant atmosphere, and an emotional and very bittersweet ending.
Malan
½ October 3, 2018
Your enjoyment of The Orphanage will come down a lot to what you want from your horror movie. There aren't a lot of cheap scares, nothing jumping out at you, but there really aren't many big scares at all. There's a couple moments that I found effectively spooky, but that really isn't the point of the movie. It's really more of a mystery and emotional drama with a horrific concept at its center. Yes there's ghosts involved, and yes there's a paranormal investigation akin to something we'd see in Insidious, but it's not about the spooks jumping out at us, it's about finding out what the ghosts want and the emotional journey of this woman and her child. In that sense though, it's pretty godamn effective. It is in many ways something of an adult fairy tale with a sinister edge, and I really liked that about it. Know what you're getting into, because it can be crushingly depressing, but the story works.
½ October 3, 2018
October 3, 2018
Entretenida, se va rápida, no da miedo, es suspenso y thriller, el final es super X, Lo mejor de todo que se muere el niño cagante.
July 30, 2018
This must be the scariest movie I've ever seen. It's such a horrific masterpiece.
July 28, 2018
Very interesting movie , rarely to see that good horror
The
July 11, 2018
Sumamente desconcertante película de terror elevada por su guión y sustos bien ganados.
½ July 8, 2018
An incredibly smart and emotional horror film, El Orfanato is a modern classic. Bayona does an amazing job building an atmosphere and Belén Rueda delivers a performance comparable to Nicole Kidman in The Others. The plot twist is amazing and the ending is so touching that is one of the best of genre.
½ June 27, 2018
One of those slightly creepy horror fairytales that tend to make viewers fall to sleep when they watch it late at night.
December 28, 2017
director J.A. Bayona and Guillermo del Toro tell a very good ol fashioned ghost story
the film is effectively spooky given that it deals with spirits of children and the woman who grew up in it returns to find out what happened to her son
there's some good emotion at the end to go with it all
nothing too overblown here thankfully
October 31, 2017
I pretty much called every step along the way, but it was still beautiful. Perfect ending, some really creepy moments... everything you would expect from Guillermo del Toro.
October 28, 2017
A dull, long, and confused movie that could have been much scarier. It ended up being a very boring drama. Too bad...a missed opportunity
½ October 22, 2017
The Orphanage is frightning and contains a constant dark and heavy atmosphere. The written is clever, the story is twisted and refreshing in this genre. It is absolutely a great choice if you miss old-school horror movies, but with an original story, good soundtrack and good performances.
September 24, 2017
This movie is amazing ! Soooo scary and great storyline, definitely 1 of my favorite scary movies ! You need to see this movie will not regret it I guarantee that!
September 13, 2017
Omg this was one amazing movie!! It is def intense and creepy as hell and the ending is just so beautiful. A def need to watch.
September 4, 2017
Phenomenal movie! Amazing story telling and even though it deals with a dark subject it brings a beauty and peace that few can deliver. One of my favorite movies and a must watch for thriller fans. Does not have many scares but has some genuinely creepy moments that deliver some chills!
½ September 3, 2017
The trailers did this movie a disservice by selling it as another run of the mill horror. Not like the gore filled, screaming horrors of Saw, Hostel and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, this film is a beautifully understated story of a woman looking for her lost child who is willing to venture into the supernatural to be re-united with him. Belen Rueda is completely captivating as Laura and carries a great deal of the film on her own as the secrets of the orphanage are slowly unravelled and the film builds to it's revelation. A very well told, satisfying film that may bring tears to your eyes and leave it's beautiful soundtrack playing in your head for days.
½ September 1, 2017
While sometimes slow and Simon was annoying,the great performance from Belen Rueda and the great atmosphere help create a great haunted house story. Also the multiple shocking plot twist.
½ August 27, 2017
The Orphanage looks and feels like a horror film, but in reality it's more of a supernatural thriller. It has some ghostly elements, and there are certainly some intense moments but it's not all that scary. Because of this, I actually liked it a lot. There's also a mystery element to the story which I always enjoy. Through most of the film I found myself trying to puzzle out what was happening and if there was a traditional answer or if the truth was something more mystical.

Belén Rueda is totally spectacular as the protagonist. She has such relatable moments in The Orphanage and her reactions are authentic. This is how a mother would behave in these situations. I also thought Fernando Cayo was great as her husband. You can see the journey he goes on as he wants so desperately to believe his wife and support her, but he reaches his limits. The kids in the movie are adorable and also good actors, which is a tough combination to find.

The segment of the film that I liked the least was the interaction with the supernatural investigators. There's this element to that sequence that feels out of touch with the tone of everything that came before. Also it seems to commit this film more firmly to the idea of ghosts being real, when I liked the ambiguity. The ending of the film is one of the most interesting things I've ever seen because it almost made me question how I should feel. While The Orphanage isn't my favorite style of film, it was fascinating and I'd like to see it again.
½ April 9, 2017
Actress Belen Rueda is terrific in this ghost mystery that does not settle for jump scares, excessive special effects or gore. Plays more than a bit on a horror version of Peter Pan Neverland mythos.