The Orphanage - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Orphanage Reviews

January 16, 2019
Some interesting visuals but not too many scares. A bit slow.
½ December 25, 2018
Good set up that is not going in the direction we think. This is not the pure girl that will be the victim of ghosts or monsters.... or is it?
December 8, 2018
A very good film. Not scary at all but a very very nice plot that turns out to be wholesome at the end (a happy ending). Its the blueprint of parents having their child disappear and then desperately searching for them. Not unique but executed very well. The best thing I like about this movie is that you really have to pay attention or you'll miss stuff thats very important and/or not understand the true meaning of the movie. Its layered and each layer is very impressive. The acting was very good... a cute kid, a brilliant mother who evokes a lot of empathy, a non-believer dad (as usual) and a great set of side characters. The fun part is living through the mom's nightmare and trying to gather all the pieces to this emotional puzzle. Pieces are revealed slowly, but this isn't a slow burn.
October 25, 2018
Not as scary as I thought it could be, but in the dramatic factor, it's surprisingly very effective with good direction by J.A Bayona, creepy yet (for lack of a better word) elegant atmosphere, and an emotional and very bittersweet ending.
Malan
½ October 3, 2018
Your enjoyment of The Orphanage will come down a lot to what you want from your horror movie. There aren't a lot of cheap scares, nothing jumping out at you, but there really aren't many big scares at all. There's a couple moments that I found effectively spooky, but that really isn't the point of the movie. It's really more of a mystery and emotional drama with a horrific concept at its center. Yes there's ghosts involved, and yes there's a paranormal investigation akin to something we'd see in Insidious, but it's not about the spooks jumping out at us, it's about finding out what the ghosts want and the emotional journey of this woman and her child. In that sense though, it's pretty godamn effective. It is in many ways something of an adult fairy tale with a sinister edge, and I really liked that about it. Know what you're getting into, because it can be crushingly depressing, but the story works.
½ October 3, 2018
October 3, 2018
Entretenida, se va rápida, no da miedo, es suspenso y thriller, el final es super X, Lo mejor de todo que se muere el niño cagante.
July 30, 2018
This must be the scariest movie I've ever seen. It's such a horrific masterpiece.
July 28, 2018
Very interesting movie , rarely to see that good horror
The
July 11, 2018
Sumamente desconcertante película de terror elevada por su guión y sustos bien ganados.
½ July 8, 2018
An incredibly smart and emotional horror film, El Orfanato is a modern classic. Bayona does an amazing job building an atmosphere and Belén Rueda delivers a performance comparable to Nicole Kidman in The Others. The plot twist is amazing and the ending is so touching that is one of the best of genre.
½ June 27, 2018
One of those slightly creepy horror fairytales that tend to make viewers fall to sleep when they watch it late at night.
December 28, 2017
director J.A. Bayona and Guillermo del Toro tell a very good ol fashioned ghost story
the film is effectively spooky given that it deals with spirits of children and the woman who grew up in it returns to find out what happened to her son
there's some good emotion at the end to go with it all
nothing too overblown here thankfully
October 31, 2017
I pretty much called every step along the way, but it was still beautiful. Perfect ending, some really creepy moments... everything you would expect from Guillermo del Toro.
October 28, 2017
A dull, long, and confused movie that could have been much scarier. It ended up being a very boring drama. Too bad...a missed opportunity
½ October 22, 2017
The Orphanage is frightning and contains a constant dark and heavy atmosphere. The written is clever, the story is twisted and refreshing in this genre. It is absolutely a great choice if you miss old-school horror movies, but with an original story, good soundtrack and good performances.
September 24, 2017
This movie is amazing ! Soooo scary and great storyline, definitely 1 of my favorite scary movies ! You need to see this movie will not regret it I guarantee that!
September 13, 2017
Omg this was one amazing movie!! It is def intense and creepy as hell and the ending is just so beautiful. A def need to watch.
September 4, 2017
Phenomenal movie! Amazing story telling and even though it deals with a dark subject it brings a beauty and peace that few can deliver. One of my favorite movies and a must watch for thriller fans. Does not have many scares but has some genuinely creepy moments that deliver some chills!
½ September 3, 2017
The trailers did this movie a disservice by selling it as another run of the mill horror. Not like the gore filled, screaming horrors of Saw, Hostel and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, this film is a beautifully understated story of a woman looking for her lost child who is willing to venture into the supernatural to be re-united with him. Belen Rueda is completely captivating as Laura and carries a great deal of the film on her own as the secrets of the orphanage are slowly unravelled and the film builds to it's revelation. A very well told, satisfying film that may bring tears to your eyes and leave it's beautiful soundtrack playing in your head for days.