The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Reviews

½ July 20, 2016
The Perks of being a Wallflower is a great screen adaptation by an incredibly gifted author, screenwriter, and director; Stephen Chbosky. He has masterfully brought enjoyment, and a feeble attempt of depth, to a story of a teenager coming to terms with himself. Played by Logan Lerman, the main story driver, the audience is exposed to a wild ride of emotions, and vulnerable situations. Emma Watson, the star capture of the movie, brings little to the plate, and seems replaceable. Regardless, it tries very hard to make sense of life's hard lessons, and is willing to breach the taboo lines. The Perks of being a Wallflower is a dramatically cute story.
July 20, 2016
The best teen drama since The Breakfast Club!
½ July 19, 2016
Strong storytelling, touching moments and moving performances. A great story not only about adolescence, but about life. Also pretty relatable.
July 15, 2016
Reminded me of my teenage years.
½ July 10, 2016
saya punya bias kasih 3-4 bintang buat film yg ada karakter yg saya bisa identify. seklise & formulaik bgmnpun filmnya. dan lagi film ini sontreknya lumayan. emma watson aksen amriknya boljug.
½ July 9, 2016
I think I would've liked this more were I a teenager, but it was still a pretty decent watch.
July 7, 2016
A perfectly emotional and satisfying high school film.
July 5, 2016
I can see why this is beloved, but I'm not too crazy about it personally. It just wasn't very enjoyable- the characters are too weird (other than Logan Lerman's) and I couldn't care less about any of them (except for Logan Lerman's).
July 4, 2016
It is a film that has to be seen, not because of the cinematic experiment that it brings, but the lesson of life, is a very beautiful film that very conversation with all the sorrows and anxieties of young people with brilliant performances, especially Logan Lerman, a fantastic soundtrack with great dialogues, the script could be better apronfudado, the film has I: 40min could have two hours quietly, so we could better understand the motivations of each character and especially more about the past of Charlie.
½ July 3, 2016
One of the best coming-of-age movie out there.
July 2, 2016
Some of these movie scenes I could relate to I thought it was a good movie
July 1, 2016
I watched this movie 2 nights in a row, loved it.
½ June 29, 2016
"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is yet another coming-of-age film about a teenager named Charlie (Logan Lerman), who is starting his freshman year after a year of struggling with depression, and quickly starts to realize the hardships of High School. Charlie is having a hard time making friends, plus he's still dealing with the loss of his aunt and his best-friend which is making him mentally unstable. However, two seniors, Patrick (Ezra Miller) and Sam (Emma Watson), decide to let him into their own little group. Together, they go on wild adventures, and Charlie finally feels like he belongs somewhere. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a brave and well-crafted film about love, grief, friendship, and growing up.

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is based on the book written by Stephen Chbosky back in 1999, but this time, the author actually Directed the movie also. I for one had never read the book, but I heard it was really well-written, and quite dark for a book about a teen in high school, so I was a little worried about how the movie would go since it's PG-13, and books tend to be better most of the time because of more detail. Since I didn't read the book, I can't really say how similar the book and movie is, but from what I heard from others it's pretty darn close, except the movie is not quite as dark which is totally understandable since the movie is PG-13. Chbosky's Directional Debut is quite impressive, he made a very effective coming-of-age film which is very mature and truthful.

The first ten minutes of the movie is incredibly heartbreaking, Logan Lerman's acting is spot on, his voice and impressions on his face clearly shows that Charlie's character is suffering in silence. Ezra Miller gives a very energetic and likable performance of a character that's emotionally conflicted, and also brings most of the comedic elements to the film. Emma Watson (Hermione from the Harry Potter movies) gives such a electrifying and convincing performance that proves to be her strongest to date.

What makes "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" stick out from all the other coming-of-age movies is the darker content, the film doesn't hold back, it's really realistic how the messages about love, loss, friendship, and growing up are presented. The way Charlie is accepted in Sam's and Patrick's group is even quite realistic. Every character in the film is conflicted with their own demons, Charlie is suffering from depression because of his friend's suicide and the thought that he was the one who killed his aunt years ago, Sam is suffering from her troubled past that's still haunting her, and Patrick is dealing with his sexuality and his boyfriend who refuses to be seen in public with him.

The messages of love, loss, and friendship is demonstrated masterfully, Charlie is able to get through his depression problems because of Patrick and Sam, but Charlie is able to help Patrick and Sam with their problems also, the power of friendship is just perfectly shown. Charlie dealt with his friend's suicide badly in the beginning, but he realizes that he has to move on with life. Throughout the film, Charlie has his eyes set upon Sam, and though he has never experienced love before, Charlies knows he truly loves Sam not just by her physical look, but how they are able to talk to each other about deep and personal things.

The major issue with the film is the abrupt ending which holds a big twist that would of worked if the ending wasn't so rushed. The emotional impact is slightly there at the end and the movie ends with the message of hope and optimism for the future, but the ending seemed pretty forced and it loses that realism vibe the movie had for the first 80 minutes. There is also cheesy moments sprinkled here and there which are a bit off-putting (The scenes with Charlie and the teacher for example), but the performances are just amazing all around, so I didn't really mind the cheesiness all that much.

Grade: A
½ June 26, 2016
Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012): Based on the best-selling book by Stephen Chbosky, who also wrote and directed this movie. Two seniors (Emma Watson) and (Ezra Miller) take a shy, introvert (Logan Lerman) under their wings. This is not a light movie and deals with some heavy and dark subject matter including suicide and mental illness. After reading the book (not needed) I had to see the movie and promptly loved it. A very touching coming-of-age story that is not all dark and gloom. The tagline for the movie: "we accept the love we think we deserve" is profoundly covered. As a side note, the movie does prom and none of the principals had a prom in real life, so Chbosky kind of went the extra mile and go them a nice one in this movie. Just an example of some of the touching things this movie covers.
½ June 19, 2016
Well-written, sophisticated and well-acted.
June 17, 2016
This will always be one of my favorite movies. It's real and deep and just astonishing. I recommend this movie to anyone and everyone.
June 11, 2016
To live in the moment is what I remember after watching it till the end. I loved everything about it. I found joy, sorrow and happiness. So many emotions in just 1 and a half hour. Great movie!! <3 Absolutely amazing.