The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Reviews

February 2, 2017
There are many ways to relieve pain. There are ways we know from what we see and experience -- the stories, the movies, the articles, the news, being the victim -- and there are the peaceful ways that are just as powerful: individual people who brings attention and awareness to mental illness, those are the people who changes the world. That is the kind of courageous resistance Stephen Chbosky show in Lionsgate Films 2012 film The Perks Of Being A Wallflower, rated PG-13. This film is about the story of a young teenage boy named Charlie, who has clinical depression due to childhood memories, is a movie everyone must see, so we can be inspired and strengthen the awareness for mental illness.
Ever since Charlie was little, his aunt has always been his favorite person until she passed away. He has never been mentally stable since but he tries to adapt the normal lifestyle of being a young high school student. Charlie is uneasy about beginning his freshman year because he has difficulty making friends and he's very shy. The only person he connected to at school was his english teacher, Mr. Anderson because he makes Charlie feel like he belongs in the school when Charlie feels like he doesn't belong anywhere. He meets two seniors, Sam and her step brother Patrick at a football game, they invite him to go out to eat and go to parties and such. At a party, Charlie eats a pot brownie and tells Sam about how his only friend committed suicide. On the way home, Patrick drives Sam and Charlie to a tunnel. They put on a song they've never heard of and Sam decides to go to the back of the pickup to enjoy the moment. That is when Charlie begins to fall for her. After realizing that Charlie is falling in love with Sam, he tries to find ways to show her that he cares about her and her happiness. At Christmas, Charlie reveals that he have never been kissed before. Although Sam is with someone else, she kisses him and tells him that she loves him. When Marie-Elizabeth asked Charlie to the Sadies dance, he tries not to hurt her feelings so he goes with her. That's when Marie-Elizabeth started falling for Charlie and somehow they began to date but keep in mind that Charlie is only dating her because he doesn't want to hurt her feelings but he gets more irritated with her as the relationship goes. At a party, Patrick asked Charlie to kiss the most beautiful person in the room and he kisses Sam unintentionally, hurting Marie-Elizabeth's feelings. Patrick recommends Charlie to stay away from them for awhile but Charlie starts having flashbacks of his aunt's death when he was seven years old. When Sam and Patrick goes away for college, Charlie experiences a flashback of his aunt's death and something else about his aunt that he wasn't sure about. He calls his sister and his sister realizes that he needs help so she calls for help. Charlie passes out and wakes up in a hospital. He then reveals to his doctor that his aunt has sexually abused him when he was little and that's what he has been scared of saying out loud for the longest time.
Frankly, I thought that this film is incredibly amazing. Chbosky really brought attention and awareness to mental health and why this issue is really important. Anything and anyone can really make you feel like you're trapped inside sometimes it's even yourself making you feel this way. I agree that people who supports others going through this, helps a lot. Everyone always needs someone to talk to and to make sure that they're okay. This movie has inspired me to bring more awareness to mental illness and help individuals who are going through this. Some people might not understand why mental health is as important as any other illnesses and this movie has many very important parts about mental illness since you get to see Charlie's point of view. Finally, I have to admit, this film is one of the best films I have ever seen. For example, one stereotype would be: she's only depressed so she could get attention. No, mental illness is a serious issue and no one should say anything like that because no one knows what she's going through. I recommend everyone to watch this movie. Not only will it raise awareness but it will put the audience in Charlie's shoes to show what he's going through and how much pain he has trying to fix himself.

-- Hera Tran
January 27, 2017
A triumph of the genre.
January 22, 2017
We can be heroes, just for one day...
January 6, 2017
Wasn't expecting much, but this is a really great film.
½ January 5, 2017
Charming, funny, and relatable, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is as genuine as coming-of-age movie can get. Elevated with excellent performances from the cast. This is probably my favorite teen movie.
January 5, 2017
This film is not just about surviving high-school, but surviving school with, help from, friends that care. The film is so fragile emotionally and display the ups and downs of a teenager with a mental health problem, contributed or even created by a disturbing past. The 'Perks of being a wallflower' is without a doubt one of the best high school movies within the last decade, maybe even beyond that. It's not just a "high school" movie but a film including close up on love, friends, family, difference between people and many more strong and powerful "mini" genres. Add all that up and you have an exceptional movie, which can touch your emotion above and beyond.
December 28, 2016
I hate this kind of movies okay? But this was mind-blowing. Logan Lerman deserves recognition for this amazing role.
December 24, 2016
Kid goes from stereotypical goy introvert to John Wick out of nowhere. You can't just drop that in without setup...unless I missed the scene where his dad wakes him up at 4 am to practice assaulting the homeless.
December 22, 2016
Simply put, every high school freshman and senior should see this film. A coming of age piece complete with an all star trio of Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Ezra Miler, Perks of being a Wallflower is an amazing story hitting on multiple tough topics regarding love and lose. There are so many touching things to take from this film and with a standout performance from Miller as Patrick, Perks is a film that'll hold up well with time and show the audience new things each time they watch it.
½ December 12, 2016
Filled With Nostalgia, Soul, and Strong Performers, TPOBAW might be the ultimate coming of age movie, that leaves us all in love with this unique characters and both real and heartwarming storytelling
December 11, 2016
Touching, very moving
November 26, 2016
I just LOVE this movie.
November 23, 2016
One of my favorite movies now.
November 21, 2016
I love this movie and the book too.
November 9, 2016
i loved this movie, has a great character and great actors !! :)
November 7, 2016
Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller shine in The Perks of Being a Wallflower, a coming-of-age story with wit and heart.
November 5, 2016
"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is yet another coming-of-age film about a teenager named Charlie (Logan Lerman), who is starting his freshman year after a year of struggling with depression, and quickly starts to realize the hardships of High School. Charlie is having a hard time making friends, plus he's still dealing with the loss of his aunt and his best-friend which is making him mentally unstable. However, two seniors, Patrick (Ezra Miller) and Sam (Emma Watson), decide to let him into their own little group. Together, they go on wild adventures, and Charlie finally feels like he belongs somewhere. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a brave and well-crafted film about love, grief, friendship, and growing up.

"The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is based on the book written by Stephen Chbosky back in 1999, but this time, the author actually Directed the movie also. I for one had never read the book, but I heard it was really well-written, and quite dark for a book about a teen in high school, so I was a little worried about how the movie would go since it's PG-13, and books tend to be better most of the time because of more detail. Since I didn't read the book, I can't really say how similar the book and movie is, but from what I heard from others it's pretty darn close, except the movie is not quite as dark which is totally understandable since the movie is PG-13. Chbosky's Directional Debut is quite impressive, he made a very effective coming-of-age film which is very mature and truthful.

The first ten minutes of the movie is incredibly heartbreaking, Logan Lerman's acting is spot on, his voice and impressions on his face clearly shows that Charlie's character is suffering in silence. Ezra Miller gives a very energetic and likable performance of a character that's emotionally conflicted, and also brings most of the comedic elements to the film. Emma Watson (Hermione from the Harry Potter movies) gives such a electrifying and convincing performance that proves to be her strongest to date.

What makes "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" stick out from all the other coming-of-age movies is the darker content, the film doesn't hold back, it's really realistic how the messages about love, loss, friendship, and growing up are presented. The way Charlie is accepted in Sam's and Patrick's group is even quite realistic. Every character in the film is conflicted with their own demons, Charlie is suffering from depression because of his friend's suicide and the thought that he was the one who killed his aunt years ago, Sam is suffering from her troubled past that's still haunting her, and Patrick is dealing with his sexuality and his boyfriend who refuses to be seen in public with him.

The messages of love, loss, and friendship is demonstrated masterfully, Charlie is able to get through his depression problems because of Patrick and Sam, but Charlie is able to help Patrick and Sam with their problems also, the power of friendship is just perfectly shown. Charlie dealt with his friend's suicide badly in the beginning, but he realizes that he has to move on with life. Throughout the film, Charlie has his eyes set upon Sam, and though he has never experienced love before, Charlies knows he truly loves Sam not just by her physical look, but how they are able to talk to each other about deep and personal things.

The major issue with the film is the abrupt ending which holds a big twist that would of worked if the ending wasn't so rushed. The emotional impact is slightly there at the end and the movie ends with the message of hope and optimism for the future, but the ending seemed pretty forced and it loses that realism vibe the movie had for the first 80 minutes. There is also cheesy moments sprinkled here and there which are a bit off-putting (The scenes with Charlie and the teacher for example), but the performances are just amazing all around, so I didn't really mind the cheesiness all that much.

Grade: A
November 5, 2016
Touching, warm and simple in its tone, Chbosky crafted his own story in a faithful and, also, stand alone way, with a terrific cast and a wonderful pace, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is the perfect example of how to do a teen-drama.
½ November 5, 2016
This is a great movie that can be pretty emotional at parts that will hook you from beginning to end.
November 2, 2016
Introduction
This movie is a darker one compared to other movies talking about teens, but that makes it all the better. It is great in showing real problems in life such as love, loss, friendship and growing up. Perks doesn't just focus on one teen either. It shows different problems with all the characters. It deals with depression, a haunting past and follows the troubles of a gay relationship. The role of friendship plays a big part in how all of the characters come to accept most things about themselves. I also liked that this was a successful movie where the director was also the author of the book. So that means that the movie was close to what the actual book was like.
Summary
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is about a 15-year-old boy named Charlie. Charlie is dealing with the suicide of his friend. He also deals with things such as shyness and anxiety. Throughout the movie Charlie overcomes some of his shyness and meets his two best friends, Patrick and Sam. By meeting them he becomes a totally different person that he was. He experiences a lot of firsts in his life. His family life is stable, but they do have their problems. At the end we learn of a past action that affected Charlie and made him who he was. It changed the way everyone saw and perceived him. At the end of the movie Charlie learns new things about his mental health and how to deal with it. He also leaves us with a new sense of hope about his future and those around him.
Scoring System
The scoring system for this review will be 1-6 stars. 1 being the worst and 6 being the best. I will be scoring each category individually and then at the end I will give it an overall score.
Music: 6
Music played a big part in this movie because it was how Charlie and a lot of the other characters would express themselves. It was really popular to show how they were feeling using mixtapes. The music that was chosen was relevant and was known to most people so they could relate to it while watching the movie. Also there was a point in the movie where there was a song that was connected with one of the relationships in the movie so it was important to them too.

Song playlist for the movie

Actors: 5
The actors chosen for the movie I think was good for the most part. The three main ones who were portrayed by Logan Lerman, Emma Watson and Ezra Miller played their parts perfectly. Emma Watson played Sam with so much emotion throughout the whole performance that it could be said that it has been her best so far. Within the first few minutes of the movie we could see that Lerman was perfect for the part of Charlie. I rated it only a 5 because there were a few actors and actresses that I felt weren't right for the part. The role such as Mary Elizabeth who was played by Mae Whitman could have been better. But overall I think that it was a great cast.

Logan Lerman as Charlie Emma Watson as Sam

Characters: 4
The characters in the movie could be compared to the ones in the book. Even though the author of the book was also the director I feel as if the characters were different in each one. The book I felt was more detailed about them and their problems. The movie could have gone a little deeper with them all and gave them a little something more. Even though they were a little vague as far as what the character could have been they were still good and all had a great message to show.
Plot: 6
The plot for this movie was great. It gave everyone a sense of what goes on through a teenager's life: spoken and unspoken. It gave insight on different types of problems that a young adult could have and how to deal with them. It's hard to find a movie that discusses these problems and still seem interesting. At the end is when it gets interesting with a plot twist that shocks everyone involved. The movie keeps us on our toes with everything that the characters have to go through. We get to see how it effects each of them and how they deal with their problems and also keeping up with friends and school.
Conclusion
Overall I would give this movie a 5.5 out of 6. This movie is one of the best ones I have seen so far. It really touches everyone who watches in a good way. It teaches everyone a lesson by the end on how to cope with their problems and also how to help. Even with the "bad" things in it I would still recommend this movie to anyone who will listen.