The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Reviews

July 19, 2017
Somewhere between a 9.5 and a 10. I'd probably just round up to a 10 though.! My only flaw is that I didn't love the stuff it did with The Rocky Horror Picture Show. Other than that, I loved this, and found this it to be flawless! Forgot to review this on 7/17/17!
July 13, 2017
One of the best teen movies I've ever seen carried by a well-written script and great performances by Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, and Ezra Miller.
July 9, 2017
A feel-good film, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, doesn't fail to put strong visuals, performances, soundtracks and nostalgic emotions into a simply sweet high school story with remarkable moments at times.
July 3, 2017
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is one of my favorite coming of age drama of the decade. I have a personal love for this film because of how much it connected with me, I felt like I related in many ways with Charlie. Aside from that I love the vibe I get from this film, it is full of heart and beauty. With coming of age films, the character development has to be there and with this film it does that right in every way. The directing and editing in certain scenes can be so meticulously crafted and convey the story in such a way that's genius. It's difficult not to be moved by each performance especially with Logan's who does a phenomenal job. But the themes that this movie addresses about alienation, love, friendship, expressing ones feelings, trauma, acceptance, and much more, all these themes are well expressed and realized. The dialogue feels realistic and it is beautifully shot. In the end, I was left so empowered feeling joyful because it ended perfectly. Even though I love it more than I should, I cannot be more happy with what this film offered.
June 26, 2017
Very heartfelt and amazing performance from all the actors. I did not expect to like this movie and had low expectations, however, from the very beginning I was very invested in the main character and interested to see how it would pan out. Very happy with this movie and definitely does fit well into the coming-of-age category. Would encourage anyone to give this movie a go.
½ June 20, 2017
A hyped up movie that once again ended up being awful.
This movie is classified as a coming-of-age film. You can connect to the main character. But his growth? He gains acceptance and friends from drug experimentation and becoming someone he is not. And the friends he gains are seniors, friends who will leave him when they go off to college. What about the rest of his three years in high school?
The Perks of being a Wallflower was awful and forgettable. A coming-of-age high that will crash when the main character is left alone for his remaining academic life.
June 18, 2017
This would have been good if I hadn't read the book. The book makes the movie look ridiculous.
½ June 6, 2017
Okay, so this one paid off in a big, bad way, far beyond the light teen angst that the ad campaigns hinted at, and I feel bad for not supporting it in theaters, quite frankly, because I completely fell in love with this one upon the first viewing, and that's only grown with repeat watches.

It's a really sweet, charming tale of a loner boy coming of age while being taken under the wing of a pair of older teens who let him into their little circle of outcasts.

It's really great stuff, and comes highly recommended.
May 30, 2017
Still doesn't surpass my love of Kings of Summer for being the best coming-of-age movie but it burrows into its own little place. The main character is such a perfectly flawed character and was really the main attraction. This movie felt so inspiring in the sense to live your life, be a kid, and just be chill which is what we need to hear and see sometimes. My mind may someday ultimately forget this movie, but I know for a fact my heart won't.
May 27, 2017
Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is a sweet and entertaining coming-of-age story that I relate with, and am touched by. However, that doesn't make it a great film.

Firstly, there is the script. Not a word spoken feels like what an actual teenager would say. Now, I am aware that this meant for the fringe, but there are some universal truths where teens are concerned, and this film acknowledges none of them. For instance, there are many manufactured moments simply created for the sake of a punchline or self-indulgent melodrama. Nothing happens naturally.

Secondly, the characters. They have real struggles at play, and too much wisdom to share. The fact is that, for all their cunning and wit, teenagers are still unwise, and these characters are wise beyond their years in the worst possible way.
May 26, 2017
This is going to be this generation's Breakfast Club.
½ May 23, 2017
There are very memorable moments scattered throughout.
½ May 20, 2017
The story is compelling and it makes you care abbout the caracter, a little cheesy at the end but with excellent results.
½ May 12, 2017
Just a little bit too pat, but very touching over all.
May 12, 2017
This is a very-well written, funny and dramatic movie with some good performances.
April 22, 2017
I don't care what anyone says, this is a must see for all you romantics out there. Logan Lerman and Emma Watson have incredible chemistry in this film. The acting is incredible and each moment is so powerful. You get to learn about a boy with his struggles throughout high school, making these two new friends that will change his life forever and a past that needs to be fixed. I will not be a spoiler, although the ending of this movie was one of the best scenes in (modernist romantic) film making history ever made. It sent chills down my spine and I was streaming tears down my eyes. This movie will move you and if you have a big heart will change your life in a positive way. It will give you hope for family, friends and especially true love. :)
April 22, 2017
Horrible. Dull. Terribly made. Feel asleep.
April 14, 2017
The movie was mesmerizing..making you really attached to the film ( especially if you've experienced lerman's role)..lerman's performance was so brilliant, he really captured that socially awkward guy, he really fits for the role..the twist at the ending was shocking, but didnt ruin the quality of the film..instead it gave the audience the answer why the main character was experiencing depression that he cannot explain..what a smart twist! and beautifully made..the movie was magical on its own..it also shows that high school may be one of the hardest stage of life ( one of the main reasons are bullies ), but there will always be somebody who will make your high school years the most awesome stage of life
April 9, 2017
With an incredible direction from the author himself, Stephen Chbosky, and lead by powerhouse performances from Lerman, Miller, and Watson, this film perfectly captures the realistic feel of high school from a very lonely and relatable perspective.
½ April 6, 2017
Everything feels great with this one.