The Perks of Being a Wallflower - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Perks of Being a Wallflower Reviews

½ May 23, 2017
There are very memorable moments scattered throughout.
½ May 20, 2017
The story is compelling and it makes you care abbout the caracter, a little cheesy at the end but with excellent results.
½ May 12, 2017
Just a little bit too pat, but very touching over all.
May 12, 2017
This is a very-well written, funny and dramatic movie with some good performances.
April 22, 2017
I don't care what anyone says, this is a must see for all you romantics out there. Logan Lerman and Emma Watson have incredible chemistry in this film. The acting is incredible and each moment is so powerful. You get to learn about a boy with his struggles throughout high school, making these two new friends that will change his life forever and a past that needs to be fixed. I will not be a spoiler, although the ending of this movie was one of the best scenes in (modernist romantic) film making history ever made. It sent chills down my spine and I was streaming tears down my eyes. This movie will move you and if you have a big heart will change your life in a positive way. It will give you hope for family, friends and especially true love. :)
April 22, 2017
Horrible. Dull. Terribly made. Feel asleep.
April 14, 2017
The movie was mesmerizing..making you really attached to the film ( especially if you've experienced lerman's role)..lerman's performance was so brilliant, he really captured that socially awkward guy, he really fits for the role..the twist at the ending was shocking, but didnt ruin the quality of the film..instead it gave the audience the answer why the main character was experiencing depression that he cannot explain..what a smart twist! and beautifully made..the movie was magical on its own..it also shows that high school may be one of the hardest stage of life ( one of the main reasons are bullies ), but there will always be somebody who will make your high school years the most awesome stage of life
April 9, 2017
With an incredible direction from the author himself, Stephen Chbosky, and lead by powerhouse performances from Lerman, Miller, and Watson, this film perfectly captures the realistic feel of high school from a very lonely and relatable perspective.
½ April 6, 2017
Everything feels great with this one.
½ April 1, 2017
While a toast to those surviving not-fitting-in while in high school and to nerds everywhere, this is at heart basically a message film warning about what it is in life that makes outsiders feel the way that they do (i.e. usually victimization). Take away the message and what remains is another coming-of-age drama, one decently actualized. Expect lots of classic rock dance tunes.
½ April 1, 2017
Good coming-of-age story. the movie that made me realise as beautiful as emma watson is...she just can't act. ezra is fantstic. Watch it if you need a teen movie fix or drama film. There's a reveal at the end that ties up the movie...which is disturbing. Recommended watch for light timepass...when you dont want non-sense but dont want oscar-bait serious stuff either. Ezra shines in the film. An excellent story with equally excellent story-telling. recommended watch for a lazy afternoon.
March 30, 2017
The movie, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, is about the life of Charlie ( Logan Lerman) and his life story in his town. In this movie it talks about Charlie's ups and downs in life struggling after the death of his Aunt Helen and the suicide of his best friend from middle school, Michael. Charlie struggles all through the rest of his middle school days, and the start of his freshman years in high school. He starts to grow a bond with his new friends, Sam and patrick, and he seems to slowly gets better. But near the end, his past slowly starts to catch up to him. And he'll have to face it as it slowly crawls back to him.
The main characters in this film are Charlie, Sam, Patrick, Charlie's sister, and Mary Elizabeth. I like these actors a lot, because they show so much emotion that is expressed in the original novel. They really play out their character well.
My favorite part of this film was the part where Sam and Patrick went to go see Charlie and they feel so free and so happy together going through the tunnel for the second time after discovering the original song they had. This just shows so much of their friendship together and their happiness just spreads onto the viewer.
I like the book more than the movie, because the book gave so much more details about Charlie's life and the same things that really put the book together. The movie just put together only the main parts and the small parts that may be funny, interesting, or significant to the storyline.
If I were to rate this movie I would give this 4 out of 5 stars, because it could have included more info on the novel and it would have brought the whole book together. The more details, it would have then made it easier to follow and fully understand all the little details in the movie.
½ March 26, 2017
The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a revealing drama which alludes to the memories of adolescence where it is shown this transition from childhood to the next stage. The story is based on the novel by the writer and director Stephen Chbosky. The narration can be seen very close and can easily move their target audience, however, everything seems too generic.

This adaptation of Chbosky repeatedly falls into the use of mainstream sentimentality that works so much in so many feature films. The unlimited clichés with which the film conforms give life to Charlie (Logan Lerman) who recently enters high school and who now faces different difficulties with himself when trying to fit in his new surroundings. Charlie is the typical misunderstood boy who is unable to relate with people: he is intelligent but socially incompetent, he is not even able to participate in classes to make his opinions known. He is a nerd who likes "old" music and spends his time inadvertently counting every day until finally he can leave high school. Hence, this character is the classic boy of which they mock and of which they abuse of because of his intelligence, but that at the same time is destined that one day everything will luckily change for good.

In short, and as the title implies, this wallflower will change from being nobody to a beautiful flower. The young actor, characterized by an innocent profile, full of ingenuity and with a deep fear to be able to express himself and to transmit his triumphs, manages to become friend of an extravagant rebel (Ezra Miller) and its half sister (Emma Watson). The first is the typical gay character, friendly, social and smiling who never shuts up on what he thinks, and Watson is the pretty girl with academic problems who guess whom will fall in love with her...

With a correct use of cinematographic qualities, the rhythm of the film is good and even engaging. The experience of the director is notorious with this work and the reality is that, although the story is bad, manages to carry with precision and details what he wanted to complete through this project. Together, these friends face a series of challenges, typical of their age, addressing their low complexity moral desires and conflicts, but come on, they're just a few young guys. Anguished, but with a lot of hope and desire to get ahead, the film reveals the reasons why Charlie is as he is, bringing to light the problems he had in relation to his childhood. Since everything seems an obsessive attempt to convince the audience with the transmitted material, the tale seems to be bent on erasing any sense of originality, since each element complies within a checklist that today's cinema insists on including: a gay athlete who does not rebuke his secret, a friendly English teacher, failed relationships, severe parents, suicide attempts, drugs, parties with the usual format, emotional problems, abuse, and the question of 'what am I going to do in my life?' You will surely feel the power of this film of Chbosky, living the drama with tears, some laughs and many smiles, which come from a highly personal and semi-autobiographical project, but this set of elements are not enough to raise the sense of a film which begins with the content of always and whose conclusion is so repeated that I would even like to erase my memory to enjoy many movies like this one here. You will say you have seen this movie before and many, many times. 55/100
March 22, 2017
I loved this book when I read it in high school - I event went and downloaded all of the songs from the mixtape Charlie makes (it's wonderful). I was so pleased as I watched this movie to see how great a job the director and actors did turning this book into a movie. It really touches your heart, and I think many people may be able to relate to the characters. Highly recommended!
March 22, 2017
Misplaced sycophantasies.
March 9, 2017
Emotional ride with profound message.
½ March 8, 2017
Stephen Chbosky's "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" is a sweet and entertaining coming-of-age story that I relate with, and am touched by. However, that doesn't make it a great movie.
½ March 6, 2017
An emotional nostalgia trip about the difficulties of a of a growing up teenager who befriends with older high school people. Good acting with a strong performance from Logan Lerman.
½ March 4, 2017
Good adaptation. Great casting.
February 23, 2017
I think I've just found my new favorite movie.