The Rabbi's Cat Reviews

• Sep 04, 2019

You would never have guessed a cat could wash away everything you believe and make you think about life that much. Once again, "just a cartoon" being smarter that most movies coming out.

• Jul 29, 2019

Awful PC propaganda piece, peddling the p isslamic tolerance myth. Needless to say, there are no Jews in Northern Africa nowadays. The true Jewish refugees story is forgotten while the fake "Palestinians" are encouraged to murder and rape as they please every day.

• Aug 09, 2017

A story about racism, religion and understanding disguised as a French animated film about a talking cat that wants to convert to Judaism. It was a very smart and interesting adventure that never tried to convey any forced ideas. The biggest problem I had was the chopped narrative that never had any clear focus.

• May 17, 2016

Great for a specific audience: if you like animation, history of Algiers, or like philosophical statements about religion. Otherwise, I would not recommend.

• Feb 12, 2016

beautiful movie honestly does the graphic novel it's based on justice. one of my favorite movies of all time. an absolute treat. death, love, religion, art, language, mortality, faith, family and friendship all intertwine in this gorgeously animated feast for the eyes and mind

• Sep 12, 2015

A cat that wants to covert to Judaism, I love it!

A cat that wants to covert to Judaism, I love it!

• Sep 04, 2015

ô Eternel, Dieu d'Abraham, Fais que je retrouve ma maîtresse Demande-lui de m'aimer toujours ô Dieu du ciel et de la terre Demande-lui de s'occuper de moi Transporte-moi au coeur de ses bras. Qu'elle ne se marie pas! Qu'elle n'aie jamais d'enfants!

• May 12, 2015

The cat is so sassy, i Love it

The cat is so sassy, i Love it

• Walter M Super Reviewer
    Nov 26, 2014

It is a good thing that the rabbi's cat develops the power of speech when he does, as he soon has to defend himself from charges of having eaten the family bird. But to Zlabya, the rabbi's daughter, the cat is even more adorable now. Not so much to the rabbi, as the cat, being able to count also and realizing he is old enough, begins to pester the rabbi to have his very own Bar Mitzvah. However, the rabbi soon has bigger problems to worry about like having to pass a French test in order to be recertified which the cat promises to help with. Considering that talking animals have been around as long as there have been sound movies, it does seem more than a little strange that it has taken until very recently with "The Rabbi's Cat" to fully explore what that would mean in the real world, especially in this timeless Algeria where religions intersect and co-exist mostly peacefully.(If I had to guess, I would have to say this might be the 30's with the 1925 Citroen playing a part, and after the Russian Revolution but no mention of the Holocaust.) But that's not all as this very entertaining film makes great use of hand drawn animation in a variety of styles to detail its world, aided by a very cool soundtrack.

• Aug 02, 2014

I liked this movie, but as I simply adore the art and stories of Joann Sfar, I think I was expecting more. It felt like a summation of the album series which it is based on, keeping a very high pace, never really letting down. It could easily have been 15-20 minutes longer, adding more contemplative parts. The animation is beautiful, though a bit sleek, again compared to Sfar's original drawings. I see the need for this, as animation is not comics art, but the few times where Sfar's more expressive way of depicting the world shone through, made me wish that the film had been more in that vein.