The Reluctant Fundamentalist Reviews

• Mar 24, 2019

Emotion, perspective, worth watching

Emotion, perspective, worth watching

• Feb 20, 2019

It’s a very powerful movie with a good story and message. Unfortunately though the movie does suffer from pacing problems and narrative issues. Performances are decent but the movie wasn’t really as thrilling as it’s marketed to be. Still it’s a good movie worth watching for the subject matter alone.

• Oct 15, 2017

I always say, no one becomes a terrorist for no reason. While I am not defending radicalism nor violence, the American government should be shameful of their arrogance and stop meddling their "enemies" while maintaining double standards. Riz Ahmed is excellent here.

• Jul 02, 2017

The film accurately portrays what happens when people stop believing in one anothers' humanity and see not individuals but strange and ominous "others." This has not only happened but also hardened in this country, making it impossible for people to relate to one another and have compassion for each other. Suspicion reigns in the film as it does in so many places. The heartless American firm that the main character works for is perhaps a bit too symbolic, embodying the impact of a society where winning and profit are priority; the girlfriend's story reveals how twisted our vision can become when our senses are dulled by substances. Much to think about here.

• May 14, 2017

Kate Hudson ruined this for me. Which is a shame, because Riz Ahmed does a good job in this, considering the plot leaves much to be desired

• May 09, 2017

Oh we get it, the Yanks didn't like it? Doh!

Oh we get it, the Yanks didn't like it? Doh!

• Mar 16, 2017

Thought provoking - Gives many different angles to this powerful topic - post 9/11 - Riz Ahmed played a great part as Changez giving a strong message about the pressures of war & life challenges throughout - A must see Movie

• Nov 30, 2016

The Reluctant Fundamentalist is a decent film. It is about young Pakistani man who is chasing corporate success on Wall Street. Riz Ahmed and Liev Schriber give good performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Mira Nair did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.

• Sep 19, 2016

Interesting plot : the clash of two very different cultures and great acting make this movie a sure entertainment.

• Jun 28, 2016

I read the book first and then wondered how and why anybody would even try to capture the quirky compelling style and enigmatic story in a film. So I watched it out of curiosity. Nice try but the book is in an entirely different league - so read the book (especially if you didn't understand or enjoy the film) - I don't think the film constitutes a significant spoiler to the book. One point of interest: in the opening sequences of the film, one of the protagonists is driven around Lahore and while passing the Lahore Museum there is a brief image of a huge cannon. This is Zamzama or "Kim's gun" because it features in the novel "Kim" by Rudyard Kipling. "Kim" is (I think) one of the earliest spy novels. By glimpsing Zamzama, director Mira Nair not only acknowledges Kipling but, as Zamzama is represented by Kimpling as a symbol of the historic strife in the region, also reminds us that Lahore has been a centre for intrigue and espionage for centuries - and continues to be so.