The Royal Tenenbaums Reviews

• Mar 18, 2020

A dreamy experience of heartwarming charm and real emotion. Wes Anderson's indie comedy-drama The Royal Tenenbaums (2001) is a pleasant bit of escapism for anyone that needs a laugh or some sincerity. The Royal Tenenbaums may be Wes' best feature film. Wes Anderson's status as an American auteur and cinema icon are forever solidified with his third motion picture: The Royal Tenenbaums. It's gentle spirit, fast pace, dark subject matter, and earnest tackling of these issues make The Royal Tenenbaums timeless fun. Owen Wilson and Wes Anderson's script takes on family, expectations, disappointment, parenting, divorce, marriage, love, and death. The Royal Tenenbaums is approached with an irreverent, absurdist sense of humor that makes the film a blast to watch, but the dramatic segments hit hard making The Royal Tenenbaums Wes Anderson's most serious film to date despite the majority of it remaining fantastic comedy. Dylan Tichenor's editing is so neat and fast that he effortlessly takes you across an entire family's 22 year journey in a brisk 110 minute movie. Karen Patch's costumes are iconic already from Gwyneth Paltrow's fur coat, striped mini-dress, and black eye-liner look to Gene Hackman's pink suit. Everyone in The Royal Tenenbaums looks hilarious or cool. Mark Mothersbaugh's score is magical for The Royal Tenenbaums. Combining folk rock, alternative rock, and indie rock sounds for a whimsical soundscape like every Wes Anderson picture. David Wasco and Carl Sprague's production design is killer with their cute New York house and apartment designs. Their use of bright primary colors fits Robert D. Yeoman's symmetrical framing and quaint wide shots for comedic value. All his close-up shots are intimate and striking as well. Gene Hackman is phenomenal as Royal Tenenbaum. He flawlessly cons his family into allowing him to stick around, then genuinely gets to know each person and attempts to aid them with their problems. Gene Hackman elevates an already impressively crafted feature into a cult classic. He is funny in every scene with these little gestures and particular phrases, while also authentically finding his character's heartfelt core. The Royal Tenenbaums is honestly one of Gene Hackman's best performances in an already legendary career. He's very fun here. Anjelica Huston is excellent as a nurturing mother learning to love again. Danny Glover is fun and likable as her new lover. Ben Stiller is outstanding as a grieving widower and overprotective father with no forgiveness for his own. Gwyneth Paltrow hypnotizes you every scene with her natural beauty and alluring emo aesthetic. Her dour mood is a fun shift in tone as she steals every scene she's in as far as I'm concerned. Luke Wilson is devastating in one of his best acting roles, while Owen Wilson hams it up as a drug addicted novelist and part-time cowboy. Andrew Wilson cameos as Gwyneth's relation within a hilarious axe scene. Bill Murray is likable as Gwyneth's older husband. His disappointment and frustration are particularly funny, while also being naturally sad about everything. Seymour Cassel has a fun cameo as a hotel worker and medical enthusiast. Dipak and Kumar Pallana have great cameos like in Bottle Rocket and Rushmore. I should mention that I really enjoyed Alec Baldwin's straightlaced narration. His voice tenderly contributes to The Royal Tenenbaums' moving tone. Additionally, if you listen in closely, you can hear Wes Anderson himself voice the first tennis match commentator. In all, The Royal Tenenbaums has persisted as an indie film classic with good reason. It is miraculously well crafted with cute direction, fun performances, sweet music, and genuine heart. I love The Royal Tenenbaums and would happily recommend it for anyone that wants to smile.

• Mar 06, 2020

Wes Anderson is able to film some powerful moments in a child-like manner.

Wes Anderson is able to film some powerful moments in a child-like manner.

• Feb 29, 2020

My favorite of Wes Anderson's films. This is also my favorite Gene Hackman performance.

• Feb 13, 2020

Best Wes Anderson movie ever, imo. Phenomenal cast, screenplay, soundtrack, with Anderson at his skillful best.

• Jan 13, 2020

This is a good movie, but I think its overrated at the same time. Why? Because its not believable, but it relies on your realistic sentiments to carry it. There's a lot of really funny and creative humor in it. But ultimately, its too self aware for me. Still. I give it 4 stars because it is ... "Awesome"

• Dec 31, 2019

I was gonna give 4 stars on this movie, but decided on 3 1/2 stars. This is one of my go to fave movies to watch I have seen this movie so many times. Would watch this movie again, love this movie good cast, soundtrack etc...

• Nov 17, 2019

One of the best movies in the last 30 years

One of the best movies in the last 30 years

• Oct 30, 2019

great comedy almost classic

great comedy almost classic

• Oct 27, 2019

Another Hit to add to Wes Anderson’s collection. I’m In love with his neo noir style that goes along with almost every one of his films.

• Oct 07, 2019

Although it has one of the best Anderson ensemble casts you can't talk about this film without mentioning Gene Hackaman's, dare I say, perfect performance. He is fantastic as the father of the Tenenbaum family and tries to mend relationships late in his life. A family drama that portrayed these sometimes weird people as a normal emotionally struggling family. Everyone gets their moment so to speak, and gets some form of conclusion or closure on their issues at the time the movie is placed. A must watch in general.