The Samaritan - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Samaritan Reviews

½ June 7, 2016
This movie is horrible and why would Samuel Jackson make a movie with incest! Even worse when you think it's part of the con you find out it's not! STUPID SICK TWISTED - WISH I NEVER SEEN IT!!!
July 3, 2015
Movie started with a interesting premise. Then ended up being a very boring slow paced movie with nothing going on. Pass on this one.
½ April 18, 2015
How in the world did Jackson wind up in TWO movies that rip off Oldboy?! I'll say this, its a better movie then the Spike Lee remake at least. But once the twist is revealed, its hard to take the movie seriously anymore. A shame, as Jackson does a really good job and the movie sports some fine cinematography.
½ January 10, 2015
It's the sort of film where by about the 20-minute mark you hope that every character dies by the end - even the ones who haven't been introduced into the plot yet.
½ January 9, 2015
Probably the most ho-hum Sam Jackson movie I've ever seen. Some elements from Oldboy borrowed here(oddly enough another one of his movies, the remake anyways) with a very predictable outcome. This was an hour and a half long but felt more like 2 hours. Snooze.
½ December 16, 2014
I love Samuel L. Jackson but this disappointed me. It just would not end but I felt so vested I had to finish lol.
½ December 11, 2014
I really enjoyed this. Started out a bit slow but the middle of the movie plot twist turns everything upside down. Luke Kirby is a snake but a pansy at the same time. I spent a good part of the film hoping he found his demise. Not SLJ's best, but it wasn't as bad as some say it is
December 8, 2014
Definitely has some unexpected twists, but is strange overall.
½ September 13, 2014
I see why this movie went unnoticed terrible writing directing and acting
September 10, 2014
When not even great screen presences Samuel L. Jackson or Tom Wilkinson can elevate a film, you know you've got a bad one. It doesn't help that neither of them seem to care at all about the film they find themselves in, and neither of them could be bothered to try. The fact that Jackson, in all his lethargy, is still the best thing about this film tells you the lows this film sinks to. Jackson played Foley, who's out of prison on parole after twenty-five years. He's trying to go straight, but the son of his ex-partner forces him back into the job for one last grift. The first problem is the Samaritan is that it's premise is one we've heard several times before. The second is that it has a terrible screenplay that cannot transcend it's numerous cliches. The dialogue is uninspired and uninteresting, meanwhile the characters are undeveloped and terribly acted. The third problem is that it's stylistically and tonally uneven; at times it seems like the director can't decide which film he's actually directing. The worst part about the Samaritan is that it manages to be both tedious and unpleasant at the same time. The film takes itself dead-seriously, and somber attitude and attempts to shock the audience becomes very irritating. The Samaritan is a film that thinks it's cool, thinks it's clever, thinks it's edgy and provocative, but in the end it's just very, very stupid, very, very boring, and very, very unpleasant.
August 31, 2014
August 20, 2014
Very good movie it is on nexflix let know how like it.
July 26, 2014
Low rated but I am a sucker for Grifter movies so going to bump it a bit higher. Really enjoyed it don't want to give it away bit it is worth seeing.
July 23, 2014
Oldboy meets con artist with a bizarrely affirmational message. Sam Jackson is excellent. I hope to see more of Irish-Ethiopian Ruth Negga.
July 8, 2014
Good movie with a crazy twist at the end that will leave your mouth wide open!
½ May 8, 2014
This is one GREAT flick --- writing, casting, direction, editing, photography --- even if Uncle Sam(uel L. Jackson) supported Obama's re-election --- expressly --- because the nation's No. 1 golf and vacation professional is --- shhhhhh --- black. Fortunately, Uncle Sam --- not to be confused with Uncle Tom --- is also a GREAT actor, because --- as everyone now knows --- racists and Uncle Toms cannot own an NBA franchise.
½ May 5, 2014
Worst fucking movie I've ever fucking seen
TheDudeLebowski65
½ March 29, 2014
The Samaritan is a film that had the potential of being a truly memorable thriller. Unfortunately, the film never really takes off, and ends up falling flat. I found that this film was pretty bad and it didn't do anything to grab my attention. I tried to get into the story, but it was just a poorly thought out plot with hints of good ideas hidden under disjointed writing, which I think is too bad because the film does have a few good actors here. I really wanted to enjoy the film, and by what the trailer suggested, this would be a standout picture. However, it isn't and it fails on so many levels. The film's biggest flaw is that it just doesn't grab your attention; it's too long and boring. I do enjoy films that take its time to unfold, but this one really took its time, and while trying to build up the tension, the film had bland characters were simply not interesting aside from the characters that Samuel L. Jackson and Tom Wilkinson. Don't expect anything good here, as there is nothing here of note, except for a tedious thriller that never pays off. You'll be left wanting more by the time the credits start to roll, and you'll ask yourself why you spent the time watching this train wreck. Jackson is a great actor, but here he simply has poor material to work with, and it's a shame, because like I said, if the film would have been reworked, then this would be a truly engrossing thriller that would have definitely have stood out. Unfortunately it never realizes its potential, and it ends up being a mess and ultimately it's a film not worth your time.
January 8, 2014
Wednesday, January 8, 2013

(2012) The Samaritan
THRILLER

The situation is as follows, Samuel L. Jackson who is one of 11 executive producers, he stars as Foley who's just got out of prison after serving 25 years. He of course is not really a free man since he has to report for parole. At this point we initially don't know the real reason why he's in prison but as it turns out, it has something to do with shooting his partner who used to work as "Grifters" another slang for con-men. And apparently, as soon as he was let out, almost immediately he was confronted by the son of the partner Foley was forced to shoot and sent to prison for and his name is Ethan (Luke Kirby). At first, the audience assumes that Ethan has no malice towards Foley for shooting his father to death since both of them used to be involved into a shady business, but as it turns out Ethan very much want Foley to go back to the very business he was trying to avoid once getting out which is conning unsuspecting wealthy bad people. The movie dwells on Foley's complicated dilemma as Ethan continues to put more pressure Foley's blue-collar life, one of which is something coming from "Oldboy". Also, there's also some inspirations of 1990 movie called "The Grifters". This is just the low budget variation of "Oldboy" and "The Grifters". And I would've give this movie a pass except the ending totally sucked.

2 out of 4 stars
½ December 13, 2013
Since it had such a dreadful and boring start, I would never expect such a development. It's a shame The Samaritan isn't more compelling all along, because the ending is actually worth the wait.