The Shape of Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shape of Water Reviews

January 16, 2019
An extremely uncommon romance, beautifully (and relatively quietly) portrayed.
Even if the story is slightly predictable it is still wonderful to watch.
January 16, 2019
a movie about water? wow.
½ January 14, 2019
How did this film win the Academy award for best picture? Was it an inside joke by Del Toro; to include every genre he could think of and rip off Jeunet's unmistakable style - just to see if he could get away with it? How old and blind are these voting members? This is the most overrated film since Get Out. Glad that didn't spend money and watched it with boxxy software app.
January 13, 2019
A nice fairy tale movie, beautiful to watch and well acted.
I would watch it again.
January 11, 2019
Can't believe this films got such good reviews - terrible
January 11, 2019
Oodles of twee on top of a too-simple fairy tale, but for once he's done something that's not frustrating and annoying.
½ January 9, 2019
I'm just gonna say... whatever it is everyone else is gushing over, I just must have missed that part.
½ January 9, 2019
Terrible movie, predictable, slow, typical Hollywood stereotyping, and don't forget bestiality at its finest. Actors did a good job with their parts though.
January 8, 2019
Sure it's a pretty film with lots of yellow and green gels. But Guillermo needs to hire less yes people. Specifically a rewrite/script supervisor. What were they thinking? Let's rescue the swamp thing in the middle of the film so we can put it back in its natural habitat. Except, there is a river literally 100 meters from the bathtub they decided to keep it in instead. Almost like the second half of the film is an afterthought or a second movie entirely where the antagonist overshadows the protagonist storyline. It became so much about who the villain is that you stop caring about the heroes.
½ January 7, 2019
The Shape of Water is a very watered down version of Del Toro's best movies. The actress in the lead role is good, but I would say skip this, and see Pan's Labyrinth instead.
January 6, 2019
Shape of Water stands out to its lust of creativity and depth. A beautifully crafted tale that makes its mark to movie history. Personally, almost perfectly loved it, it just lacked on the delivery of authenticity as a heartwarming and empathetic love story.
January 5, 2019
Very old school drama, gorgeous sets, interesting characters with del Toro lushness everywhere.
January 4, 2019
Hawkins got an Oscar nomination for Best SUPPORTING Actress??!!?? Are you kidding me? Is that because, as a mute, she didn't have enough lines? Somebody needs to be wacked upside the head for that decision. There has never been a charactoer more lead than Eliza!
This movie is a work of art, pure and simple, right down to the smallest detail. My wife couldn't really get into the "love story" because, let's face it, it's a fish-man. But the film is so spectacularly beautiful to watch from opening frame to closing credit, it's mesmerizing.
January 2, 2019
The Shape of Water is romantic, fantastical and beautiful. A star making performance by Sally Hawkins, and superb support from Richard Jenkins, Michael Shannon, Octavia Spencer and Doug Jones. The Shape of Water is a perfect exercise in Grimm fairy-tale film-making.
January 1, 2019
This is one of Guillermo Del Toro‚(TM)s Masterpieces. This is the type of Cinema we don‚(TM)t really see much of these days.
January 1, 2019
Great Writing: 2 Stars
A peculiar fantasy period piece!. Some of the motives of the characters waiver a bit at times, But nothing TOO distracting.

Great Production: 2 Stars
Set design, special effects and lighting were all memorable! While i enjoyed the blue green scheme i felt it kept it from being truly beautiful!
½ December 31, 2018
The Shape of Water won Best Picture and Best Direction by Guillermo Del Toro at the 2018 Academy Awards. The main characters are both deaf, the girl plays a janitor at a high level top security research facility that kept a sea creature captive. The creature is very typical to the Black Lagoon. The backdrop of the story is set in the 1950s and most of the dialogue comes from the gay neighbor played Richard Jenkins and a black coworker janitor played Octavia Spencer. Michael Shannon played the director of the facility that captured and tortures the creature. The premise of the storyline is a love story much like Beauty and the Beast, where the janitor helps the creature communicate thru sign language. It was a beautiful story with a beautiful ending, definitely one of a kind and weird at times. I would highly recommend this movie.
December 31, 2018
del Toro's execution of an innocent fairytale set in a less than innocent world is a delicate balancing act that pierces the viewer's cynicism and leaves them inspired and connected to their child-like wonder. The tone and sentimentality reminds me of "Cinema Paradisio" or "Amelie," but "The Shape of Water" grapples with much more complex themes, such as prejudice and cruelty, and still manages to leave me charmed.
December 30, 2018
Was vintage Del Toro, but left me wanting something....