The Shape of Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

½ August 18, 2018
The Shape Of Water
(2017)

Plot:
From the master storyteller, Guillermo del Toro, comes 'The Shape of Water', an otherworldly fairy tale set against the backdrop of Cold War-era America circa 1962. In the hidden, high-security government laboratory where she works, lonely Elisa (Sally Hawkins) is trapped in a life of isolation. Elisa's life is changed forever when she and co-worker Zelda (Octavia Spencer) discover a secret classified experiment.

Review:
A lot of people have compared this movie to Amelie, which I haven't seen, so I was going into the film with an open mind. In the beginning, I couldn't see how this film was going to become interesting but once the mysterious creature, and Michael Shannon (Richard Strickland), came into play, I quite enjoyed it. You can't fault the movie for its originality, and brilliant performances from the whole cast but you do have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it. As usual, Guillermo del Toro pushes the visionary experience to the max, and his attention to detail is second to none but I found the whole "Beauty & The Beast" concept a bit weird, especially when they started to get a bit fruity with each other. Anyway, Sally Hawkins plays a mute called Elisa Esposito, who communicates with sign language and works as a cleaner at a secret government laboratory in Baltimore, during the Cold War. Her only friends are her workmate, Zelda (Octavia Spencer), and her gay next-door neighbour Giles (Richard Jenkins), who is a struggling advertising illustrator. When the laboratory receives a mysterious creature, which was captured in the Amazon River by Richard Strickland, who treats it brutally by repeatedly shocking it with an electric cattle prod, Elisa shows sympathy towards the creature by giving him eggs, whilst playing music. She soon realises that it's a male humanoid amphibian, and she regularly visits him in secret, teaching him sign language. Strickland convinces his superiors that they should kill the creature, to investigate his body for Americans gain but one of the scientist, Robert Hoffstetler (Michael Stuhlberg), who is really a Soviet spy called Dimitri Mosenkov, wants to keep it alive for further study. Robert is also ordered by his Soviet superiors to kill the creature, so the Russians can experiment on him but he has grown to sympathise with him because of the way that the creature has been treated whilst in captivity. Elisa hears the Americans talking about killing the creature, so she plots with Giles to release the creature into a nearby canal when it rains to give access to the ocean in several days time. During the escapade, Robert decides to help Elisa, along with Zelda who was initially against the plan. Once they get the creature back to Elisa's apartment, she keeps it alive in her bathtub, by using salt and a special substance that Robert gives her. To not look suspicious, Elisa and Zelda still go to work, even though Strickland is interrogating all of there employees but he's unable to gain any information. Elisa then becomes close with the creature and she initiates sex in her bathroom, which she fills completely up with water. Meanwhile, Strickland's superiors give him 36 hours to find the creature, and Robert is told that he will be extracted in two days time. Robert then goes to meet his handlers, with Strickland tailing him, and when Robert is surprisingly shot by his so-called comrades Strickland decides to save him, by killing the handlers. After interrogating Robert about the creature's whereabouts, Strickland kills Robert, and then he heads to Zelda's house to find out where the creature is. Her husband tells Strickland that Elisa has the creature, so he spares there life, and he goes straight to Elisa's, who has been tipped of by Zelda. Strickland finds a note which reveals the plan about escaping in the canal, so he makes his way there, and he shoots the creature and Elisa just before they are about to jump into the water. The creature manages to self-heal himself, so he kills Strickland and he jumps into the canal with Elisa, to try and save her life. Quite a touching story! The love story is strange but sweet at the same time but it's really the performances that made the movie for me. Shannon is brilliant as the villain, and Jenkins made me laugh as the innocent, gay best friend. Spencer was also top class as Elisa's close friend, along with Stuhlberg, who didn't know if he was coming or going through the whole movie. On the downside, no one seemed that shocked when they saw the mysterious creature, and you must be completely out of your mind to have sexual contact with it. I also thought that the whole finger thing with Shannon, was going to lead somewhere, and that whole "fill up the bathroom with water" thing was completely unrealistic. Anyway, I personally enjoyed the film but I don't know if I would go as far to say that it deserved the best picture Oscar this year. I did think that Three Billboards was a better film but Guillermo del Toro deserved the Best Director Oscar, mainly because of his contribution to cinema. Enjoyable!

Round-Up:
This movie was directed by Guillermo del Toro, who also brought you Cronos in 1993, Mimic, The Devil's Backbone, Blade II, Pan's Labyrinth, Hellboy II: The Golden Army, Pacific Rim and Crimson Peak in 2015. Coming from an artistry's background, he draws all of his movies in storyboard form before production, and I must admit, he is an amazing artist. He's also an extremely detailed director, whose work can't be fully appreciated unless you watch films a few times. I personally think that he concentrates on the look more than the storyline, especially in films like Crimson Peak and Hellboy II but I'm sure that there are people out there that will disagree with me. With movies like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde, Pinocchio, Drood and Fantastic Voyage in development, he certainly has a full diary, especially after earning the Best Director Oscar this year. I can't really see a sequel to this movie, judging by the ending but anything is possible in Hollywood.

Budget: $19.5millions
Worldwide Gross: $195millions

Genre: Adventure, Drama, Fantasy
Cast: Sally Hawkins, Michael Shannon, Richard Jenkins, Octavia Spencer, Michael Stuhlbarg, Doug Jones, Nigel Bennett, Lauren Lee Smith and David Hewlett. 7/10
August 18, 2018
It's a sweet and thoughtful film, if a little overwrought. Subtlely is at play in the acting and screenwriting, but thematically, it's more of a sledgehammer.
½ August 18, 2018
The okayest Best Picture of all-time.
August 17, 2018
In my opinion Guillermo del Toro is one of a kind because he produces his movies in a special way that is different than any other directors. He makes them unique. He always creates amazing characters.

The story is interesting in general but fot me the first half was a bit boring because it had many scenes or extra content that were unnecessary but then it became more exciting and it got you hooked because there has a lot of astonishing moments that you would never imagine could happen.

The movie has an extraordinary setting because they know how to set the enviroment from the 60's and it told us how society was developed and the way how they thought in that age.

The characterization of the amphibian man was mind blowing, the details, the colors, the design of his costume and the way he moves. I could see how dedicated the character was to the script and he made it look so realistic.

The movie is fascinating but it is not in my top 5. I think there are better movies of Guillermo del Toro, although it is a good option to see in your free time.
August 16, 2018
Great film, worth seeing multiple times. An instant classic love story.
August 16, 2018
Hermosa. Asombrosa. Detallista. Prácticamente perfecta. No hay muchas palabras más para describir la obra de arte que hizo Guillermo del Toro con La forma del agua. Y no es para menos que haya recibido 13 nominaciones a los Oscars (mi favorita para consagrarse como mejor película).
Elisa (Sally Hawkings) es una mujer solitaria huérfana que quedo muda de niña y trabaja como empleada de limpieza de un laboratorio de alta seguridad al cual ingresa una criatura anfibia y monstruosa (Doug Jones) de la cual se enamora y comienzan a establecer una relación. Todo esto ambientado en la década del 60, en medio de la guerra fría, por el que el gobierno buscara utilizar a este ser como un arma.
La historia es una fantasía en su máximo resplandor que mezcla otros géneros como el suspenso, el drama, la comedia y hasta el musical. Pero es una fantasía que rompe todos los clichés. Es una historia de amor entre una mujer común y corriente con una belleza más interior que física que se enamora de un monstruo. Una historia de amor donde el amor es el protagonista y lo inverosímil parece quedar de lado. Una historia de amor que va más allá de cualquier tipo de sexo, status e incluso de especie.
Sally Hawkins hace un papel extraordinario (lamentablemente lo tocó competir con la también extraordinaria Frances Mcdormand) donde demuestra que sin emitir palabra y solo con sus gestos se puede llevar a cabo una gran actuación y dotar de sensaciones a una película.
Poco hay para decir sobre Guillermo del Toro. El realizador ya ha confesado su fanatismo por los monstruos y una vez más queda demostrado que es el mejor creándolos y utilizándolos para hacer sus películas aún más maravillosas.
El elenco lo completan Richard Jenkins como el vecino de Elisa, también solitario y quien representa a una especie de figura paterna; Octavia Spencer como la mejor amiga de Elisa que le otorga el toque de humor justo y necesario a la historia; Michael Shannon interpreta al villano y Michael Stuhlbarg como un empleado del laboratorio.
August 13, 2018
Great compelling work of art. That expresses love in one of the most passionate ways possible. Would definitely would recommend this film to anyone who is reading this!
August 12, 2018
On of those shitty art movies. Like amelie polin, but worse. Maybe better... you don't really want to decide
½ August 12, 2018
A pretty straightforward story with a somewhat heavy handed message lifted almost entirely by masterful direction, editing, set design, costume design and amazing performances. It's a movie that's hard to dislike, but isn't quite as deep as it likes to think it is. Plus the movie never really shows the creature to be intelligent enough to consent to sex with a human (I mean yeah it can communicate through sign language, but so can cocoa the gorilla and we'd be outraged if someone fucked her). A solid movie, but hardly worthy of the best picture oscar or best director oscar it was given over Jordan Peel's much more masterful Get Out.
½ August 11, 2018
Started out as a good new interesting, original, cooky story in a time period that I love to see. And became progressively worse, pointless and straight up too weird to keep my interest. One of the worst movies of the year. I am confused why it is so highly regarded.
August 9, 2018
Too nasty to be magical, too goofy to be serious, The Shape of Water misses on almost every level. del Toro is too mean-spirited to be a great filmmaker.
August 8, 2018
totally perfect and really cute <3
August 6, 2018
Brilliant execution of a laughable script. The plot was remarkably contrived, and I liked it better as the 1984 comedy "Splash" with Tom Hanks. Seriously, go see that movie. It's the exact same plot, only not a contrived drama. "The Shape of Water" is a beautiful pile of crap.
August 5, 2018
This is pretty much what I thought it was going to be from the trailer.I do have a few problems with the story. One; the story we've seen countless times and I found this movie quite predictable. Two; there probably could have been more romance with a more unique design for the Assett, Three; the ending feels like a forced deus ex machina to me. Another thing is I actually wish we got even more deeper chemistry between the romantic leads, despite it already being quite beautiful. Aside from that though, while I don't think this is one of Del Toro's strongest films, its a very beautiful love story with some charming scenes, lavish art direction, and likable characters.I'd still recommend seeing this film.
½ August 5, 2018
Del Toro takes such a bizarre premise, Sally Hawkins falling in love with a fish creature, and makes you buy it. Most impressive.
½ August 2, 2018
Visually stunning, the movie's era of shooting with decor and music are mesmerizing but I failed to relate or touched by the eccentric love story. I would give it a high rate because of the fantastic cinematic experience.
July 30, 2018
SKIP IT. A WASTE OF TIME.
July 30, 2018
Best photo, directing and deffenetly sound track but a shocking idea with no convienient reason behind loving a fish!!
Cant find a single reasonable idea specially it seems in the movie that its a first sight love!
Overrated movie
½ July 29, 2018
What an absolute gem of a movie - heartwarming, beautifully shot and scored, with fantastic performances, especially by Sally Hawkins and Doug Jones. Personally, I think the film would have worked just as well or even better without some of its extremely gruesome scenes, but I guess you just can't take the horror film director out of Guillermo del Toro.
It's just so refreshing, in an age where cinema is dominated by big franchise blockbusters, to see such a wonderful work of art, by a director with such a clear and unique personal style.
July 29, 2018
Del Toro's Beauty and the Beast-style romance, captivates from the outset. The Americana is stunning, and never been done better, or glossier.

Hawkins (as always) is utterly captivating here. And Shannon on fine, creepy form. The Cold War thriller and Disney fairy tale don't quite gel for me. And i think the film flounders a little bit after consummation.