The Shape of Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shape of Water Reviews

November 14, 2018
This is definitely a weird tale, but it is visually impressive and mostly emotionally absorbing.
November 14, 2018
A modern retro fairy tale monster movie.
½ November 11, 2018
It reminds me of old Hollywood monster movies. I found it thoroughly enjoyable.
November 11, 2018
My first impression of the movie based on the previews turned out to be right. I gave it a chance because I hoped to be pleasantly surprised. But this movie was not good. It had a bit of an Amelie feel to it at first, whimsical and quirky/fun. Until the amphibian creature arrived along with the over-the-top sadistic villain. For a quick minute I thought the villain had been slain by the fish and I was like "good" because that character wasn't just hateful, he was a turn-off. I just didn't want to deal with this level of obnoxious cruelty and awfulness. It was just too darn much. And I didn't feel ANYTHING for any of the characters except for the friend of the mute lady. I wish I had a friend like her. The critic reviews for this were as shocking to me as the rave reviews for Black Swan back in the day. I didn't make it all the way through either one. I stopped this movie before things got intimate, so I didn't see 'that' scene but I'd heard about it. I anticipated I'd have morbid curiosity to see it but to be blunt, I didn't care at ALL about missing it. I didn't want to know this story better or more intimately. I just wanted to walk away and google the ending so I'd know how it all turned out without having to witness the whole thing.
November 10, 2018
This was a very slow movie (that's my nice way of saying boring). Watched Hidden Figures today- funny how two award candidates from the same year (and even with a common actress) can be such a different caliber. That was a good movie. This one... I can see why critics like it. Artsy and unusual. Just didn't do it for me.
November 10, 2018
Great scenery? yes. ...but a love story that I want nothing to do with.
½ November 10, 2018
One of the worst movies I have ever seen; I cannot believe that they make trash like this; and call it a movie. Dont waste your time or money on this nasty crap.
November 8, 2018
Very good acting but the movie was on the boring side to me (personal taste).
November 6, 2018
Director Guillermo del Toro is really a master craftsman and this film shows him to have reached something of a peak ‚" you can see the beauty onscreen. Yet it is surprising that this won the Best Picture Oscar because it is still a ‚weird tale‚? in keeping with del Toro‚(TM)s oeuvre (which includes The Devil‚(TM)s Backbone, 2001, and Pan‚(TM)s Labyrinth, 2006, alongside other more overt genre fare). A bizarre mix of The Creature from the Black Lagoon and an odd couple romance that harkens back to the creature double features of the 1950s/60s while still including enough content that is strictly adults only (nudity/sexual references, swearing, bloody violence, etc.). Sally Hawkins plays a mute cleaner at a high security scientific facility at which a humanoid river monster has been locked up; she shows him compassion and, being lonely herself, soon falls in love. Her only friends, played by Octavia Spencer and Richard Jenkins, help her to rescue her ‚man‚? who is in danger of being vivisected under orders of a tough security guy played by Michael Shannon. The Russians also have an interest in these proceedings (since it is the Cold War era). I tried to resist but the film gradually won me over; despite its heart-warming romance, it stays weird, champions the outcasts, and has lots of little touches done well. Del Toro and his team seem not to have ignored any detail on screen, everything seems fondly chosen on purpose to fit with a ‚vision‚? with very little attempt to cater to mainstream tastes, save only for the high production values, beautiful art design, and tasteful blend of CGI and costume/make-up/prosthesis. Certainly worth your time.
½ November 4, 2018
120 minutes of pretentious drama.
November 4, 2018
A disabled lady in her early 30s fondles herself in her bath every morning for three minutes, so desperate for love and a sense of belonging that she falls in love with a questionable creature which takes the form of a fish type being. In essence to accept this movie you have to step out of your comfort zone, possibly have previous experience with bestiality and either have strong misogynistic tendencies or be entirely passive aggressive in nature.

It's the kind of movie that in fifteen years time people will look back and go what were you guys thinking, 13 Oscar Nominations, 12 BAFTA nominations, was this really the height or your high brow sophisticated society, this topped common entertainment as your idea of intelligent cinema?

In summary The Shape of Water doesn't quite cut it as a master piece, however there are some great individual performances and in fact there are some great scenes in this movie which both delight cinematically and theatrically at times. The film has some great moments to its credit which challenge topics such as white privilege, sexism, gay rights, authoritarianism, and racism. The film also works very well to weave in this fantasy setting which is akin to Pan's Labyrinth and successfully removes you from the world you know, and you gently forget you're on a well crafted adventure.

However this is also the movies downfall as sometimes the extraordinary is less than believable which leads to implausible scenes and poor quality character development. The film feels more like a series of events which results in the plot growing thin meaning it doesn't make the impact it should. Disappointingly although it touches on the topics mentioned above it never really challenges them so you're left with a feeling of disappointment and lost potential by the end of the movie.

Wouldn't worry about missing the tide on this one as it's only mildly enjoyable but altogether uneventful and forgettable.
November 3, 2018
This is actually so romantic so mysterious as well
November 2, 2018
Absolutely captivating!! Your left on the edge of your seat at times, and filled with emotion throughout. Well done, so very well done!
½ November 1, 2018
Classic, good old-fashioned storytelling. Guillermo del Toro's visuals here are masterful and he uses a lot of metaphors. The romance isn't completely believable, but the characters have depth and motivation. Alexandre Desplat's score is beautiful.
November 1, 2018
Eh I was going to watch it when it came out, but people who knew me told me I was conservative and wouldn't want to watch it because it was just fish sex. Well I've changed some and they were wrong, it's not just a bunch of fish sex. There is sex, though it isn't explicitly shown. Idk. Watched it with Charmaine and enjoyed it. Feel like it may become a classic. Love the music and the signing!! Was she a mermaid abandoned on the shore? Did she used to have gills and that's what the scars were? (10/31/18) It's kinda beauty and the beast.
October 31, 2018
Beautiful, as always. Thank you Guillermo.
½ October 30, 2018
Refurbished version of Pan's Labyrinth.
October 29, 2018
Great acting, fantastic soundtrack, impressive visuals, and a unique story. Some decisions did not fully work but a lot of the risks taken by Guillermo del Toro paid off.
October 29, 2018
Wow. I never would have thought a movie where a lady f*cks a fish would be any good, but in a way, I was right. It was a brilliant film. It goes beyond the whole fish-f*cking and actually puts it in the perspective of characters trying to find meaning in life. Great job, Del Toro.

10/10
½ October 28, 2018
I really liked everything about this movie except the love story. That part just did not resonate with me as they could barely communicate. Also, the amphibian man/god really wasn't much of a character in general.