The Shape of Water - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Shape of Water Reviews

September 25, 2018
With a great set-up, amazing performances, lovely visuals and the reliable hand of Guillermo del Toro as well as a quartet of characters who you'll feel sympathetic for thanks to the Cold War setting (for a better understanding: a mute, a gay, a black and a Russian) and the fact that the bad guy is an all-around American, The Shape of Water is the best fish-banging movie I have ever seen.
September 24, 2018
What makes the Shape of Water so special is Tel Toro's ability to combine the harsh realism in society with his own fantasy. Desplat has composed a gorgeous, eerie score that flows in such harmony with the movie's great acting led by Hawkins, and cinematography. Del Toro takes reference from older Hollywood films, reinventing Beauty and the Beast in his own hue of green and red giving us a strangely beautiful tale where the conventional roles of human and monster have been felicitously reversed.
September 23, 2018
Interesting up until the bestiality scenes.
½ September 22, 2018
This strange allegory charms at times, but it jumps the merman just a bit too often. How come all of Eliza's friends speak sign language? Why would both the Americans and Russians want to kill the merman when he's obviously more useful to both country's space program alive? Why doesn't the cartoonish villain die of gangrene? Why, during a key romantic encounter between Eliza and the merman, does the movie suddenly turn into LaLa Land? Why does the setting, purportedly 1962 Baltimore, look nothing like it, and since when does Baltimore have canals? (And why are all Baltimore-based movies, like Hairspray and Diner and Tin Men, set around 1962?)
There's not much dramatic tension, as you can pretty well predict the ending early on, and a little too much gratuitous nudity,and black-and-white characterizations--the good guys have no flaws, while the bad guys are heavies with no heart or depth. In all, an odd little fairy tale that doesn't hold water.
September 22, 2018
Boring- stupid- waste of time THIS won best pic over Dunkirk??? Ugh
September 21, 2018
One of Guillermo del Toro's most whimsical, yet thrilling masterworks.
September 20, 2018
This movie is very unique for this era of movies. This is a beauty and the beast for adults.
½ September 19, 2018
An extension of the current insane folly of forcing everyone to normalize mental illness. This time, the #metoo rapists are trying to normalize zoophilia. A desperate woman falls in love with a sea creature and obsessively goes through everyday life with one thing in mind, copulating with the manfish. She's so obsessed by it that we see her masturbating to it several times and she risks everything to get close to it...
September 17, 2018
One of my favorite movies ever.
½ September 16, 2018
Unfortunately, this movie is in the top 5 of my worst movie list. The movie certainly was not award worthy. They must have paid and bribed people out the wazoo to even put this movie on the radar for an award. Just bad.
½ September 15, 2018
Slow. Weird. Strange. I can?t believe that this has such high ratings. Visually it?s stunning. All but the last 20 minutes are painful. I?d never watch it again.
September 15, 2018
It's a nice, stylish, very cinematic experience. Sally Hawkins is outstanding. Some of the characters are not well drawn and It takes a few implausible turns but it's a satisfying, throwback movie-going experience. 7.7 out of 10 On second viewing, gotta drop that rating. When you really look at it, behind the nice production values, it's a pretty weak story with some conspicuous holes. 5.8 out of 10
September 14, 2018
Brilliant art of it's own shape
September 12, 2018
The Shape of Water is a 2017 American romantic dark fantasy drama film directed by Guillermo del Toro.
Water, love, and a monster who doesn't transform, this 'Fairytale for Modern Times' is basically a romance which i enjoyed very much. Set in the early 1960s, this period movie features outstanding settings and scenes, I cant remember a film where the contrast between light and shadow works so beautifully. Although it is not a prefect film, at times being a little too co-incidental and convenient, I was happy to overlook these slight flaws. I really enjoyed the original score, along with the trip down memory lane and the many music, film, and TV references. And I also enjoyed the numerous shade of green!
My favourite film of 2017.
AAW GGN AFI 1001
September 11, 2018
I am giving this movie a two simply because of originality. Other then that it didn't make one lick of sense. It was the Creature from the Black Lagoon gets horny. Why it was based in that era doesn't fit. Why the guy hated the Creature is never explained. Why he didn't continue to see a doctor about his fingers in a place full of Doctors and scientists is baffling. A wood based bathroom is not and never would be water tight to sustain two full adults swimming or fooling around. How this became Academy award worthy is beyond me. But then the Academy has been picking real stinkers, it's all based on popularity by Academy members. It wasn't well written the plot was pretty shallow. But it was different hence the two stars.
September 11, 2018
I'm a sucker for fantasy romances and this movie is no exception. Perfect for adult fans of "Splash" and "Beauty and the Beast".
½ September 7, 2018
Gorgeous. Stunning. Oh, this is easily one of the best films of the year. There are so many ways this movie could have ended up off-putting and yet it ends up so full of whimsy and pain-staking love and attention that I couldn't help being swept up in it's world. There are some tiny nit-picky problems I have with it, mostly some small plot holes in the ending, but I feels as though I only noticed them because I was thinking about the movie the whole following day after seeing it. Sally Hawkins is an absolute treasure. Perhaps take my praise with a grain of salt, as I'm very much the target audience for this movie as a lover of romance and creature features, but I very highly recommend seeing The Shape of Water. It's a beautiful tale and it's masterfully told.
September 3, 2018
This film couldn't be any more Guillermo Del Toro'ish if it tried, so if you like fantasy-style stories, you'll love this film. Although it's not my favorite film genre, it was well acted, well paced and absolutely original in both concept and visuals. Although I would've liked a little more story-wise (I found it to be too similar to Tom Hanks' Splash), I wasn't disappointed.
September 2, 2018
What makes this movie so fascinating is that so many aspects of it are so absurd and yet it miraculously finds a way to be captivating. The plot is goofy and the setting is bleak,..but del Toro brings it to life. Pleasantly surprised!
September 2, 2018
Great movie that you have to feel with your heart!