The Silent Child Reviews

• Apr 28, 2018

I am a mother of a daughter (Hannah) with special needs. She has a severe speech disorder which has rippled into a learning delay and is supported in mainstream school. I cried when I started to watch this, because of the way the parents portrayed. I felt from offset they were depicted as superficial. It is such a shame that the film did not explore the pathway to this point. On the surface the Mum may have appeared superficial and busy but I know after years of being on the rollercoaster of being a Mum of special needs, this could have been presented as a coping mechanism. I nearly screamed when the film made a point of filming the new cars outside their new house. O yes, look at the parents resources and the shallow resources they afford the child. And what was one of the first lines of the Dad 'we have low expectations for her'. Really!! Most parents of special needs kids have the opposite problem. I am constantly told by professionals to reign my expectations in. and feel awful when I say I think she can be doing more. My heart breaks for my daughter and her struggles but I am no specialist. I have learnt loads along the journey and wish I knew 3 years ago what I know now. My husband and I both work to pay the necessity bills, to put food on table and heat in the house, I would prefer to not work and spend my time helping my daughter more. I would prefer for someone to pay me to be at home and learn the resources needed to equip my child. I had to switch off from the program, the pain was too much to watch through. My daughter is my world, she is one of a twin and we are a family unit. The film missed so many opportunities and for me was a one dimensional portrayal of the struggles a family travel through when one child has special needs. Hannah's twin has missed out on lots, mostly one to one time with me, as Hannah's special needs are often prioritised. When they are at school, her sister makes sure Hannah is always ok. She has heard some awful things said about her sister in the playground which has really hurt her, and I need to find the time to make sure her worries are heard too. Also Hannah does not get invited to many parties or playdates and that breaks my heart when I see her watch the invites get passed round the class. Inclusive schools need inclusive parents who can have conversations with their children on how to include the children who are often isolated. I do feel as a Mum I lack the resources for my daughter, mostly time. This is not because I'm superficial, I have had one night out in 2 years, have not brought clothes or anything for myself in 2 years. In the last 6 years I have averaged 4 hours sleep a night. That is though the full time paid job working 4 nights a week (which I need to pay bills), the full time job as a Mummy and full time job trying to make sure my daughters get what they need. This is also a continuous battle at school. I am just exhausted, not ignorant as I try my best to provide for my family. It was fab to present the world of this beautiful girl but I just wish the family struggles that interweave through this story were also presented. Maybe later in the story the 'arrogant and superficial family' are recognised for their heartache and frustrations and love as they hold on tight on the exhaustive rollercoaster of family life, but I couldn't watch any further it should have been revealed sooner . This film represents everything I feared .. how I am judged as a parent for not having adequate resources to give my daughter what she needs. I am crying as I write this. I am on a night shift. I works so hard. Hannah has always deserved more than I can give, if someone gave me a magic wand, I would put more TIME into our life's so that I can give her more of what she needs. Hopefully someone will write a well rounded script one day of why a parent gets to that point where they no longer feel equipped to give their child what they need. The parents/family of a special needs child all go through different types of difficulties and struggles ...and of course joy. My daughter is 6 now with a beautiful heart and a beautiful dancer, she has found expression in it and that's where she lights up. There is so much more to this story and more to a person and more to the family dynamics. I am amazed this got an Oscar.

• Apr 03, 2018

Very evocative film.

Very evocative film.

• Apr 03, 2018

A really powerful short film, that went on to win a deserved Oscar. I have a slight insight into the deaf world through my wife's work in the area and this sort of story is all too real and strikes a familiar chord. The film looks amazing and to have it broadcast in such an accessible slot on the primetime BBC on Easter Weekend is excellent. Well worth your time.

• Mar 30, 2018

This short film shines a light on a very real struggle for children with a profound hearing loss as well as any child with a hearing loss. Mainstream school is a scary place for young children but when you add a child with a hearing loss, it gets much worse as there is no one for them to communicate with. They are not being educated with peers like themselves. This is an awesome look at how parents and educators alike are not frequently educated to know what is best for their deaf child.

• Mar 11, 2018

a powerful film with beautiful acting by maisie sly and rachelshenton.

a powerful film with beautiful acting by maisie sly and rachelshenton.

• Mar 09, 2018

Beautiful and wish this had been full length.

Beautiful and wish this had been full length.

• Mar 06, 2018

I enjoyed the cinEmatograpHy but felt this was a story Supposedly reflecting the deaf community but told through a hearing Lens. The focus was on the empowered hearing social worker and her gateway to commUnication. In reality, a profoundly deaf child would be Recognised through the newborn hearing screening hours after birth and access to a teacher of the deaf would follow. Deaf children of deaf parents Will often use BSL as their first language and this develops in the same way as spoken language. Hearing parents who would prefer to use sPoken LANGUAGE are also given that opPortunity through Careful Audiology management (this may include a CI implant which a profoundly deaf child would meet criteria fOr) Transition to school Would be carefully managed though a multidiscipLinary team. The film refLected an outdated system and would have been better set In 1960s