The Skin I Live In - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skin I Live In Reviews

January 19, 2017
Pedro AlmodÃÃ,³var directs the twisted material similarly to how Banderas performs it. There's a precision and a beauty to his direction, but he won't gloss over the grotesque side of it all. Don't take this as a horror movie, because it isn't. Its a twisty-turny experience about devotion that is far more grotesque than the typical love story.
January 13, 2017
The essence of transsexualism presented for straight people
January 10, 2017
Oh my god, a movie hasn't broken my brain the way this one did in a looooooong time. For the first hour I was like "okay, this is strange, don't know what the point is... are these flashbacks? okay... why is this being shown this wa--oh my god..... OH MY GOD." and repeat, until the very last minute of the movie. I'm not even sure I've fully wrapped my head around this one yet so bear with me here.

I think what makes this movie so successful is that it feels like a giant mirror. There's a lot of messed up shit here that you almost want to blame on Almodovar for having chosen to include, but at the end of the day I can't blame him because it's simply just everyday life. The boy who grows up with strong women and still rapes, the man who preaches moral good and still violates others, the concept of being a woman as punishment, the male libido power struggles, the Odalisque paintings juxtaposed with surveillance voyeurism.... Almodovar wraps all of this terror up in a beautiful bow and presents it to us in as otherworldly surrealist horror film with striking color, imagery, lighting and style. It's all at once so clearly his own world and yet just a dark mirror of ours.
November 12, 2016
Utterly bizarre but completely enthralling.
November 5, 2016
This movie is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 5, 2016
Es de extrañar que con la sordidez con la que Almodavar trata su cine pocas veces a tratado de lanzarse a hacer cine de género. Podría habría ser nuestro Polanski patrio, y si hay algo que lo demuestra es La Piel que habito. Una obra dura y sin tapujos, con el marcado sello de la casa (un poco esperable del manchego), y que aunque pierde oportunidad de ofrecernos algunos elementos argumentales bastante interesantes, es una cinta como pocas se pueden ver en nuestro cine.

Y como siempre su dirección y realización es mucho más que correcta.

Una de las mejores películas españolas de los últimos años sin duda.
August 27, 2016
A messed up satisfaction.
August 19, 2016
Worst film I've ever seen, wish i could erase it from my memory
August 16, 2016
Bizarro, intenso e enigmático, "A pele que habito" à (C) um dos melhores do diretor. Puro Almodóvar!
½ August 1, 2016
Almodóvar's incursion into psychological horror is this fascinating, extremely disturbing and even terrifying story about insanity, desire and obsession that grabbed me from the first scene to the last - and the best way to see it is without knowing anything about it.
July 12, 2016
This is a film that could potentially make a cynic, or a bigot a better and more sensitive human being -- aside from that, anything I disclose about the plot will ruin the fun for you. Think "The Notebook" meets "The Human Centipede".
½ June 8, 2016
This is some twisted shizzle. Hard to rate really. It took me a fair amount of time to gain interest but the plot reveal transformed it into one of the most peculiar viewings ever. 'The Skin I Live in' lacks gore but remains as disturbing and unnerving as most horrors due to its exploration of dark topics such as rape and body reconstruction. While its tepid mood and art-house direction won't appeal to masses, I think everyone who does give it a chance will agree its a unique watch.
June 4, 2016
I felt like it went in a completely unexpected direction. I like it and it's incredibly fucking weird and disturbing.
May 30, 2016
Yet another Pedro Almodóvar's masterpiece. A very engrossing bizarro fiction with a disturbing twist and elements of horror, sex and hysteria mashed up in vivid cinematography.
½ May 13, 2016
74%
Saw this on 12/5/16
Its such a pity that a terrifically told unpredictable story such as this got such a disappointingly generic ending. They fucking ruined it after reaching the finish line.
April 30, 2016
Really fucking disturbing movie...
½ April 9, 2016
With all the questions it arises it's hard to imagine the psychosexual narrative coming together at the end, but it does. And it's magnificent.
March 28, 2016
Almodovar is on his usual form here. It would be scary if it weren't so funny and implausible. Reminded me of the kind of drama a certain type of teenager invents to show on his (?) home-made puppet stage. A nice transsexual S&M type fantasy, that is. It had less to say of any consequence than many of his other similarly implausible movies.
March 11, 2016
I have watched a lot of films, but I feel reasonably confident in saying I haven't seen one like this. A disturbing concoction laced with sex, horror and depravity, 'The Skin I Live In' is distinct and unforgettable. If Antonio Banderas has ever been better, I don't know of it.