The Skin I Live In - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Skin I Live In Reviews

April 19, 2017
4.3/5

The strange feeling one gets as the morbid and insane nature of the film unfolds is beyond description.
March 25, 2017
very, VERY, disturbing.
½ March 23, 2017
Banderas puts in a fascinating performance, just great all-round, and a fantastic twist.
March 23, 2017
A very unique, intriguing and provocative film that will leave you on the edge of your seat throughout!
½ March 5, 2017
He almost lost me when I realised where the plot was going (the incest mislead, and then the kidnapping, which is almost worse), but he remained so committed it continued to work despite the ludicrousness (I mean, who does ludicrous better than Pedro?) until that baffling, truly baffling cut to the end credits, one of the worst I've ever seen. I'm sitting here still wondering if I somehow got a version that prematurely cuts off the real ending because what the fuck?
½ February 24, 2017
The various themes that in a single story create a disturbing but still fascinating story of love, desire, spite and deception, indicate Almodóvar's great ability to imagine, create and stage a movie like no one else could have. The story is made so that the audience does not let go of it, and this is supported by the magnificent performances of its cast, introducing us to what is terrifying and sometimes incomprehensible. The order of the script and how it is expressed through its shots are evidence of the cinematic mastery with which the film is developed. Apparently the movie wants to challenge you, but the information is coming alone without much effort. 89/100
February 23, 2017
Very good film, incredible camerawork in each scene, accompanied by a plot that keeps me on the edge of my seat. Antonio Benderas was amazing in this film, and everyone else pulled their own weight. The plot is masterfully written and directed, and even though this is an artsy film, it's not pretentious to me. Definitely more of a thinker type film, but it really succeeds at being that. Mesmerizing film overall, I can say I definitely had a great time with this one
February 14, 2017
A disturbingly poetic and unsettling premise. Almodovar crafts another great film, with a superb take on psychology of obsession and degeneration, along great performances, well structured pacing and unique score, all for the making of a truly original Thriller.
February 10, 2017
The Skin I Live In is graphic and at times absurd in it's storytelling yet tells a fine tuned drama that lets it's talented cast shine through.
January 19, 2017
Pedro AlmodÃÃ,³var directs the twisted material similarly to how Banderas performs it. There's a precision and a beauty to his direction, but he won't gloss over the grotesque side of it all. Don't take this as a horror movie, because it isn't. Its a twisty-turny experience about devotion that is far more grotesque than the typical love story.
January 13, 2017
The essence of transsexualism presented for straight people
January 10, 2017
Oh my god, a movie hasn't broken my brain the way this one did in a looooooong time. For the first hour I was like "okay, this is strange, don't know what the point is... are these flashbacks? okay... why is this being shown this wa--oh my god..... OH MY GOD." and repeat, until the very last minute of the movie. I'm not even sure I've fully wrapped my head around this one yet so bear with me here.

I think what makes this movie so successful is that it feels like a giant mirror. There's a lot of messed up shit here that you almost want to blame on Almodovar for having chosen to include, but at the end of the day I can't blame him because it's simply just everyday life. The boy who grows up with strong women and still rapes, the man who preaches moral good and still violates others, the concept of being a woman as punishment, the male libido power struggles, the Odalisque paintings juxtaposed with surveillance voyeurism.... Almodovar wraps all of this terror up in a beautiful bow and presents it to us in as otherworldly surrealist horror film with striking color, imagery, lighting and style. It's all at once so clearly his own world and yet just a dark mirror of ours.
November 12, 2016
Utterly bizarre but completely enthralling.
November 5, 2016
This movie is stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
September 5, 2016
Es de extrañar que con la sordidez con la que Almodavar trata su cine pocas veces a tratado de lanzarse a hacer cine de género. Podría habría ser nuestro Polanski patrio, y si hay algo que lo demuestra es La Piel que habito. Una obra dura y sin tapujos, con el marcado sello de la casa (un poco esperable del manchego), y que aunque pierde oportunidad de ofrecernos algunos elementos argumentales bastante interesantes, es una cinta como pocas se pueden ver en nuestro cine.

Y como siempre su dirección y realización es mucho más que correcta.

Una de las mejores películas españolas de los últimos años sin duda.
August 27, 2016
A messed up satisfaction.
August 19, 2016
Worst film I've ever seen, wish i could erase it from my memory
August 16, 2016
Bizarro, intenso e enigmático, "A pele que habito" à (C) um dos melhores do diretor. Puro Almodóvar!
½ August 1, 2016
Almodóvar's incursion into psychological horror is this fascinating, extremely disturbing and even terrifying story about insanity, desire and obsession that grabbed me from the first scene to the last - and the best way to see it is without knowing anything about it.
July 12, 2016
This is a film that could potentially make a cynic, or a bigot a better and more sensitive human being -- aside from that, anything I disclose about the plot will ruin the fun for you. Think "The Notebook" meets "The Human Centipede".