The Sunset Limited - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Sunset Limited Reviews

½ October 26, 2016
Tommy and Sam made this captivating and thoughtful, when it might have been dry and emotionless.
½ September 7, 2016
Need to watch again, but I remember it being very good the first time around.
June 23, 2016
If you like a good philosophy/theology debate you'll need to watch this . Great movie .
June 3, 2016
The filmed adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's play is mostly compelling conversation in a single ghetto room, with Samuel L Jackson delivering a powerful performance as the streetwise black Christian trying to convince Tommy Lee Jones' pseudo-existential academic not to kill himself after Jackson has saved him earlier that day from the first attempted suicide. The play is filmed bare-bones, raw and thoroughly invested in its dialogue. The writing is generally excellent, and Jackson makes the most of it, giving life to a character who wants desperately to save souls after being saved himself and believing Jesus has given him this mission. Jones' character is a bit less convincing, with a smaller role, as the faithless man whose intelligence and culture have done nothing to breathe life into him, leaving him in a nihilistic despair from which there seems to be no escape. The filmmaking is spare but subtly artistic in its way, using a dilapidated room for the two men to see whose belief system might prove more persuasive.
February 1, 2016
A kind of movie to sit and think for while, a kind of movie which show both us sides, so dark, so shine sometimes, despair and hopefull, suicidal and reborn so many time in this live... sometimes both at the same time.
January 5, 2016
The dialogue in this film and the details revealed in the characters discussion, are very flimsy. Unfortunately, all they needed to do was introduce one discussion about the evidence of faith and one discussion about Darwinism. Also a collaboration with an archeological scholar about the finding of ancient evidence which support the biblical narrative, would have gone a long way in adding to the depth of this films script. None of this is done, and as a result we have a weak argument from both characters on both sides of the discussion. 2 stars
Robert B.
½ October 8, 2015
The Sunset Limited is a good watch for the characters and the acting. Cynical viewers will scoff at the ideas presented, though the film is not really about ideas. It is more about the interaction between the individuals (and brings up an obvious comparison to My Dinner With Andre). At times the lines come across as having been written (as with the Counselor) but many other times the delivery is excellent in spite of the "written" quality of the lines. I rate The Sunset Limited up mainly on the acting performances since the material does not strike me as being very easily portrayed as being the natural and spontaneous thoughts of the characters.
½ August 17, 2015
Featuring two powerhouse performances from Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L Jackson, The Sunset Limited, making use of such heavy themes as religion, logic, and the will to live and what drives the human spirit to cling onto its life, proves once again that Cormac McCarthy is indeed one of the best writers of our age.
August 4, 2015
Lack of balance, Tommy Lee Jones is like a thunder leaving us with grim perspective. Rust Chole needed.
July 19, 2015
This movie is really simple, two characters in a room having intense debates about their views. No more no less. And I enjoyed it even when I don't agree entirely with neither of their points of views. The actors perform really well this adaptation from the play by Cormac McCarthy so if you are capable of enjoying a really deep conversation, you will enjoy this movie.
½ June 27, 2015
this one is a challenge! in the best way!
June 14, 2015
Not for everyone but these two good actors pull of this two person play.
May 2, 2015
The meaning these crazy intense philosophical debates might be difficult to understand for many of us, this film one of those where two people just talk through the whole film. Well there is not many of them but it is always a good experience watching it. Amen
½ April 11, 2015
Esto hubiera estado bien para el teatro pero como película zzzzzz
March 8, 2015
Great script by Cormac McCarthy expertly directed by Tommy Lee Jones.
½ February 14, 2015
Wonderfuly thought provoking movie.
February 5, 2015
haven't seen this in years, I know it's great, being adapted from a famous play, but I shall revisit.
February 5, 2015
90 percnyi durva filozofálgatás, két legendától. Tetszett!
½ December 20, 2014
This movie is simultaneously difficult to recommend and impossible not to recommend. It is completely dialogue based, and apart from watching the actors faces during their verbal deliveries it is otherwise as minimalist as you could imagine. The location of the crummy apartment in some ghetto area of the city never changes from the beginning of the story to the end, remaining faithful to its original stage roots. This leaves it entirely up to the performances of the actors to engage your attention for the entire 90 minutes.

It tells the story of two complete strangers meeting by chance (or by divine intervention depending on who you choose to believe). The unnamed character (in the credits known as 'white') who is highly intelligent and educate but has lost whatever previous strength that he had to sustain him and has decided to end his life by throwing himself in front of a train (The Sunset Limited) and another unnamed man (referred into the credits as 'Black') who is equally intelligent, but educated only from his own life experiences who intervenes and somehow convince White to come with him back to his apartment to talk. How Black convinces White to do this is never really explained...however this is where the film begins.

'Black' was once a bad man of no faith, who at a critical point of his life believes that God spoke to him and saved him by sending him a better direction to live his life. Therefore he is utterly convinced that he and White were meant to meet because God wants Black to save him from wanting to end his life. White however is a man with no faith whatsoever in any higher being and sees little reason to continue his existence in a world where he sees no meaning.

What follows is a conversation of alternative perspectives about the meaning of life, with both sides offering intelligent insights of both sides that neither have considered before, which sometimes manages to expose flaws in both of their thinking. Samuel L Jackson's character dominates the direction of the conversation throughout most of the first 2/3 of the film...and this was necessary as White's bleak perspective of things would have been too difficult to hold the audiences attention in large chunks at the start.

Perhaps it is because I have been engaged in and enjoyed these kinds of deep conversations with people with opposite perspectives in my own life, but I loved this movie. I was actually deeply enthralled throughout. The ending is the kicker and was a fine ending to this kind of film.

For those that have any level of ADD, or require an action sequence to maintain your attention, or simply rarely like to exercise the old 'brain muscle'...you will get bored and this is not the movie for you.

Additionally, any people of religious faith who have either not really put much deep thought into your faith or are simply uncomfortable with anyone rattling the cage....this is not the film for you either. Non-religious people should be fine however as you all should be quite used to your beliefs being questioned fiercely. In fact, if you are an atheist, or a person of strong religious faith...I highly recommend this to both of you. But beware, this is a movie that inevitably will make you think if you see it through to the end.
December 17, 2014
Its two opposing views in a shitty apartment. Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson are able to keep the debate going for the 90 minutes, but the ending isn't as shocking or intense as the back of the DVD implies.