The Visit Reviews

• 1d ago

Who'd have thought that the background score would be the actual hero. I love the entire look of it. The Visit M. Night Shyamalan, the writer and director's film is a joy to behold. Filmed through a documentary lens, Shyamalan's to-the-point direction is actually beneficial this time. Some would and does argue to those plot points that grows loud and cheesy which weighs down the film to ever soar perpetually. And yes, there are those moments in the film that comes easily and repetitively. But what Shyamalan does so brilliantly is that he frames it as the part of a "cinematic experience". There is a film within the film that is every now and then mentioned to keep the viewers alive and confident. And mind you there is no one as confident as Shyamalan on convincing you to be confident yourself. Just watch the last act of Glass enfolding before your eyes. Any other filmmaker would flinch on taking away the heat from their own script by basically showcasing the "awkwardness" of a film shoot in the film. Somehow he frames that as a narrative now whether it works or not that's a different day, but it definitely is a bold and confident choice. Now coming back to those textbook set pieces. There isn't actual ever a note that gives away the fact that he isn't aware of his viewers' expectations. He knows you are in a Shyamalan world. He built it. The reputation and the films. Hence, he frames it as an expected destination. You know that they are going to wait for the arrival of that know station. The Visit is that visit for me. And you know what, you know a film is working when you are so immersed in whatever images shown in front of us, that you forget where you're headed. And on that note it is also a wrong knock on the door.

• 6d ago

A good movie, though I did see the twist coming from the first scene, and I'm usually the absolute last person to see the twists coming. The kids' performances saved the movie from being a by-the-numbers horror flick.

• Oct 11, 2019

This is a solid horror film from M. Night. After years of him making terrible and almost unwatchable movies, he finally gets some redemption. It's not brilliant or must see, but it's still worth a watch for any fan of horror films.

• Oct 10, 2019

Started off paying half attention and slowly put the dishes to bed and cozied up to a pretty decent twist. Don't let the handheld-style deter you, this isn't Blair Witch (though there are some close-up sobs), but it's integrated into the story seamlessly. It gets right into the jump scares and delivers on the creep factor with a more-fresh-than-ominously-closing-doors storyline. All in all, M is bringing something of the old self back. Not as great as a Snickers at in your trick-or-treat stash, but in no way a bag of pennies.

• Oct 09, 2019

I've never been the biggest Shyamalan fan...but this one pleasantly surprised me...with its blend of humor and some decent thrills, to even the twist ending!!

• Sep 29, 2019

This is super creepy, but so good.

This is super creepy, but so good.

• Sep 25, 2019

Some scares might keep you going in this Found Footage Horror Film

Some scares might keep you going in this Found Footage Horror Film

• Sep 13, 2019

This movie made no sense 😩

This movie made no sense 😩

• Sep 08, 2019

Maybe I shouldn't have watched this with my grandma...

Maybe I shouldn't have watched this with my grandma...

• Sep 07, 2019