The Words - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Words Reviews

February 16, 2017
It was a bit draining. I get it....A story within a story than half a story...doesn't go over well. I found it refreshing and different. It's not the happy story ending everything fixes itself ending your used too. It gets a little bumpy here and there but I liked it.
February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 29, 2017
interesen film epten, a i jaka ekipa sobrana: Bradley Cooper, Jeremy Irons, Dennis Quaid, Olivia Wilde i Zoë Saldana
January 1, 2017
It's sad that people do not see the beauty in this film. It's most definitely not your average drama, but it's a work of art in itself. Excellent performances from ALL cast members, big roles and small, and a script composed of many realistic themes and quotes about desire, guilt, and just how the two are connected.
½ December 27, 2016
There is virtually nothing that works in this convoluted, nonsensical and terribly-written drama in which not even the visuals escape the artificial and clichéd, and so everything is a complete failure, from the expository narration to the ridiculous story-within-a-story-within-a-story structure.
½ December 5, 2016
This film's layered storytelling lacks the fluidity, grace, or good humor, to pull off its conceit.
½ November 4, 2016
The film is tolerable but its construction is not helping. Is it a story inside a story or not? There are some good points and some bad points. We see many errors by many characters. Nice exercise but not a top film. Very nice bits in France, filmed in Canada! Beautiful girls. Totally watchable but also annoying.
½ October 26, 2016
"Life or fiction, you choose!" That is the battle cry of this four layers of fiction, each layer worse than the other. It is exceptional in its inanity and vapidity, and excessive sentimentality. Why would Jeremy Iron in this at all? What a waste of his talent. It is a low, low sentimental, self-congratulating of the "literary" types. I
½ October 9, 2016
The Words offers an emotionally-deep story as well as good reflections on merit, honesty and frustration of those who struggle achieving their purposes.
Bradley Cooper offers one of his best performances in this heartfelt and thought-provoking movie.
½ August 13, 2016
Just ok. Not that entertaining.
½ August 8, 2016
The premise was ideal... However, the pace caused the premise to be washed up in the plot. The plot also was over emphasized and the characters felt crammed by a script with too many motives and incomplete thoughts. Skip it.
½ June 28, 2016
Long... But interesting concept
June 28, 2016
This is a very good written film, nothing fancy besides a good film, for those thinkers !
June 28, 2016
It's a nice story and made a nice movie.
June 28, 2016
a bit confusing... but interesting to see how the story goes
½ May 14, 2016
Slow moving, but interesting, movie about a story within a story within a story.
May 1, 2016
no merece este porcentaje, la película esta bien actuada y bien trabajada para que tenga 24%, eso es crueldad
May 1, 2016
When the words are as powerful in its essence that paints a time, place, action and deeper feeling that describes the moment and characters. When the collection of these powerful words all synchronized it it's complete masterpiece is able draw larger attraction then those whom individually read it. When it casts a foreshadowing event yet to happen, more suspenseful that it changes the direction.

When words we express, comes from somewhere, when we are struggling to live that comforting life, because we are unable to afford it. When we know where to go make our burdens feel less, but it doesn't last long. When we are gifted with writing, an expression, feeling and view of the world like nobody can see. When some gifts we just happen to find.
½ April 25, 2016
This movie is such a mess! I think it could have been better if the writing and directing weren't as bad as they are. Aside from one moment where you think it's going to get good, the whole movie is bad, too long, and boring. The writing is terrible, and the story they have written moves too fast and yet doesn't move very far. The directing is even worse! It rushes the good parts, and slows down the bad parts, and you can REALLY tell how rushed it is when Rory goes from getting a publisher, to being famous, in about a minute. If they hadn't made that cut, the movie could have been great, and actually be about what it's supposed to be about. The actual writer finds Rory way too early in the movie, and it takes up too much of the runtime with a story from the old man that you don't care about, and is annoying because it's just a way too long way of telling Rory that he is the one who wrote the book. Bradley Cooper and Zoe Saldana are fine, but there not in the movie very much, so you don't really get a chance to see them do well. Dennis Quaid's narration is annoying, mainly because it's overused, but also because his voice is not made for narration. But when we see him, he's fine. And the few scenes he has were pretty good, and they were with Olivia Wilde who did an excellent job. Rory tells his wife to early in the movie, and by that time you just don't care about anything anymore. Granted, the little you did care about, you didn't care about enough for it to matter that you're just now waiting for it to end. Also, by the end, Rory is made to look like he didn't realize what he published wasn't his. This movie is almost wasted potential, but it isn't an original enough idea to be, and is essentially a worse version of Limitless with more characters, and a worse way to get a book written, and it's not even his. It's an awful first time directing, and second time writing, for the duo.
March 27, 2016
There's a saying in the entertainment business. "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans." The fact dumbed-down CGI crap-fests rake in millions while an intelligent, ambiguous film such as The Words earns diddly is a testament to that statement.