The Words - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Words Reviews

½ October 9, 2016
The Words offers an emotionally-deep story as well as good reflections on merit, honesty and frustration of those who struggle achieving their purposes.
Bradley Cooper offers one of his best performances in this heartfelt and thought-provoking movie.
½ August 13, 2016
Just ok. Not that entertaining.
½ August 8, 2016
The premise was ideal... However, the pace caused the premise to be washed up in the plot. The plot also was over emphasized and the characters felt crammed by a script with too many motives and incomplete thoughts. Skip it.
½ June 28, 2016
Long... But interesting concept
June 28, 2016
This is a very good written film, nothing fancy besides a good film, for those thinkers !
June 28, 2016
It's a nice story and made a nice movie.
June 28, 2016
a bit confusing... but interesting to see how the story goes
½ May 14, 2016
Slow moving, but interesting, movie about a story within a story within a story.
May 1, 2016
no merece este porcentaje, la película esta bien actuada y bien trabajada para que tenga 24%, eso es crueldad
May 1, 2016
When the words are as powerful in its essence that paints a time, place, action and deeper feeling that describes the moment and characters. When the collection of these powerful words all synchronized it it's complete masterpiece is able draw larger attraction then those whom individually read it. When it casts a foreshadowing event yet to happen, more suspenseful that it changes the direction.

When words we express, comes from somewhere, when we are struggling to live that comforting life, because we are unable to afford it. When we know where to go make our burdens feel less, but it doesn't last long. When we are gifted with writing, an expression, feeling and view of the world like nobody can see. When some gifts we just happen to find.
½ April 25, 2016
This movie is such a mess! I think it could have been better if the writing and directing weren't as bad as they are. Aside from one moment where you think it's going to get good, the whole movie is bad, too long, and boring. The writing is terrible, and the story they have written moves too fast and yet doesn't move very far. The directing is even worse! It rushes the good parts, and slows down the bad parts, and you can REALLY tell how rushed it is when Rory goes from getting a publisher, to being famous, in about a minute. If they hadn't made that cut, the movie could have been great, and actually be about what it's supposed to be about. The actual writer finds Rory way too early in the movie, and it takes up too much of the runtime with a story from the old man that you don't care about, and is annoying because it's just a way too long way of telling Rory that he is the one who wrote the book. Bradley Cooper and Zoe Saldana are fine, but there not in the movie very much, so you don't really get a chance to see them do well. Dennis Quaid's narration is annoying, mainly because it's overused, but also because his voice is not made for narration. But when we see him, he's fine. And the few scenes he has were pretty good, and they were with Olivia Wilde who did an excellent job. Rory tells his wife to early in the movie, and by that time you just don't care about anything anymore. Granted, the little you did care about, you didn't care about enough for it to matter that you're just now waiting for it to end. Also, by the end, Rory is made to look like he didn't realize what he published wasn't his. This movie is almost wasted potential, but it isn't an original enough idea to be, and is essentially a worse version of Limitless with more characters, and a worse way to get a book written, and it's not even his. It's an awful first time directing, and second time writing, for the duo.
March 27, 2016
There's a saying in the entertainment business. "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of Americans." The fact dumbed-down CGI crap-fests rake in millions while an intelligent, ambiguous film such as The Words earns diddly is a testament to that statement.
½ March 20, 2016
??????? ?????! ????? ??????? ?????? ???????????? ????????. ???????? ??? ???????, ?????????????? ?????? ?????????, ??????????? ?, ????????, ???????. ?? ??????? ???? ????? ??????? ???????, ???? The Words ??????? ?????? ???????.
½ March 14, 2016
I think it suffers from a case of wanting badly to move, without itself being sufficiently moved. Which causes it feel scattered. Especially toward the end. But the actors do a great job of filling the thing out.
½ February 21, 2016
There is virtually nothing that works in this convoluted, nonsensical and terribly-written drama in which not even its visuals escape the artificial and clichéd. Everything is a total failure, from the expository narration to the ridiculous story-within-a-story-within-a-story structure.
February 17, 2016
I found this film relatively underwhelming. The main issue is that the film tries to be too narrative or a film about fiction too lyrical, and instead of being something of merit, like a best seller, it turns rather pedestrian in the process.

We've got a writer (Roy Jansen) who's trying to get published but can't, so he finds a manuscript in an old briefcase bought at a second-hand shop and publishes it as his own. The story is being told by an author, Clay Hammond (Dennis Quaid), and as the movie unfolds, one may begin to wonder who the narrator is. Is he the plagiarized author, the old man, or someone else? For we have a story within a story within a story. Hammond who is telling a story about Jansen (Bradley Cooper) who later in the movie is being told a story by the old man (Jeremy Irons).

Of course you have some wonderful actors here, but the material just seemed a bit strained, as if the film in its attempt to be taken seriously bit off more than it could chew. I don't know what it is about films that portray authors a particular way, but they often seem to get it wrong. How do I know? I've been writing for years and have a degree in writing. I've never experienced the tragedy and melodrama most writers in films have, and neither have my writing friends. We aren't full of angst, drugs and alcohol, or some muse that makes us appear different from anyone else. Stuck in Love comes to mind when I think of writers portrayed very unrealistically. The Words wasn't as bad but close.

And I love Irons but the story telling just got boring after awhile and seemed to suck the energy out of the room rather than build it, maybe because his part went on too long. Just tell the guy you wrote the book already. All this flowery melodrama just ain't working (Remember Dora's analysis of Rory's book? "In this one, you're just so real.") Writers are often told to just get to the point, don't bore the reader, but maybe screenwriters don't get that same message. This just sounded like a writer who doesn't know how to write talking about how a writer writes. Right? Oh well.

The final scene between Hammond and his love interest Daniella seemed to actually be going for something a little ethereal, some mystery, merit, and depth, but then the conclusion is just plunked in the viewer's lap at the end. OK, the Jansens's were happy. Wha--?. And finally, why the old man came forward to tell Jansen that he had plagiarised his book is never given a satisfactory reason. Again, promise of something of merit and import is just left cold on the table.

Not terrible but certainly not something to write home about, if you will.
½ February 2, 2016
Oh how expectations can deceive.
But it's important to keep an open mind.

Not everyone will appreciate this movie. They will see the slow plot development. They will see the very Disney-esque "Storytime" method. For me, it was a reflection of my inner dreams and desires, more than a real life. I think the movie was designed that way. From the get, go, if you watch how it is shot, you will see that no extras are used without necessity... Almost like a work of fiction. And the entire movie surrounds the importance between separating real life from fiction.

Yes, it's very cliche. Yes, it's something we've all seen before. Yes, it might get a little lost at the end.

But this was a very pleasant and very intriguing surprise. And it thoroughly captured me.
½ November 1, 2015
This heartfelt movie offers an emotionally-deep story as well as good reflections on merit, honesty and frustration of those who struggle achieving their purposes.
I think that this underrated film offers one of Bradley Cooper's best performances.
½ October 16, 2015