Theeb Reviews

• Apr 09, 2019

I found "Theeb" interesting and entertaining, but I also thought that was lacking some conviction in the crucial scenes, some mordant! The film find the right balance between a western and a coming-of-age story, but does not believe too much in its potential and does not create too much tension, and consequently get a bit lost, not unlikely our little wolf.

• Jan 02, 2019

amazing soundtrack and imagery, very well framed shots with startling and authentic beauty that reflects the beauty of the Sahara. Along with a very interesting depiction of the Bedouin environment and the premisces of its confrontation with the west.

• Dec 18, 2017

Puntaje Original: 5.0 Ahora The Pianist empieza a parecer divertido...

Puntaje Original: 5.0 Ahora The Pianist empieza a parecer divertido...

• Nov 13, 2017

Gorgeously filmed, a captivating study of a boy's heart.

Gorgeously filmed, a captivating study of a boy's heart.

• Oct 07, 2017

Theeb is the child version of Lawrence of Arabia. You will know colonialism did play a major role in the modern conflicts in the Middle East.

• Jun 25, 2017

I hope I do not build this film up too much but I think it needs to be seen if you love cinema. The rating of 97% by reviewers has it right. I have seen some Arab cinema, though nothing out of Jordan. Theeb is a departure and it is hard to compare it to anything in world cinema. It is stark and beautiful and portrays a world that is the same. Certain American Westerns might approach its austerity in their presentation of a harsh and deadly world, but Hollywood sentimentality always deprives even the best of that genre of what Theeb has in convincing you of the truth of what you are seeing. I suppose the fatalistic stoicism of The Wild Bunch might allow some point of reference, but Theeb does not indulge in violence in anything like the same way though it is about a violent world. It is not unrelenting in its brutality, on the other hand and succeeds in depicting characters with emotional depth and complex personality with a wonderful economy of dialogue. There is kindness, loyalty and decency in Theeb's world, but it requires much of him. The film introduces a character in its last third who is unexpectedly interesting and compelling. The makers of this film were sure of what their vision and it is a success. Every acting performance is excellent though I knew none of the actors. Naji Abu Nowar directed and shared credit for the script and I very much want to see what else he does though I know nothing else about him. This is a great film.

• Jun 12, 2017

If you blink you might miss the film. Very well constructed and every second in the film is crucial to the story.

• Mar 29, 2017

A colossal waste of time.

A colossal waste of time.

• Jan 09, 2017

A simple coming of age story, made intimate and compelling by the acting of Al-Hwietat (Theeb). Also, the camels were super dope. 4/5

• Dec 30, 2016

Theeb's welcome change of perspective allows the viewer to undergo a piercing coming-of-age tale, bolstered by Jacir Eid Al-Hwietat's powerful turn on the title role.