This Is the End - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Is the End Reviews

December 4, 2017
I thought it was really funny and a really good idea, to get lots of comedy actors who i like, in the same film. Enjoyed it.
½ November 17, 2017
Funny movie that is made by a funny group of people with celebrites from everywhere
½ November 12, 2017
If there's one word to describe this movie, it's "meta". The film is so self-referential, and constantly throws jabs and pokes fun at other films that the actors involved have done. Oh, and there are demons that try and kill everyone who hasn't already been sucked into Heaven or Hell. All around fun time, highly worth a watch
October 24, 2017
I LOVED IT! This movie was hilarious! i defiently enjoyed watching it. The cast did a great job and all work very well together to make a very funny movie!
October 14, 2017
LOVE it!!! Definitely on my top 10 all time favorites list!
½ October 9, 2017
10/1/2017 (2): A great cast, but that is it. Flat out bad. Maybe a couple chuckles, but that's it. Very disappointing.
½ October 4, 2017
Meh. Thought it'd be funnier.
October 4, 2017
I had this down as a 3 before I watched the film again today. My mixed reaction is common with the Seth Rogen comedies, the pop culture references are very forced. The singing finales isn't a thing I go for, look at Bridesmaids or 40 year old virgin for an example. The film would've scored much better had it been consistent with overall tone and the humour sticked with it, I felt the second half of the movie fell away. The cast are all very good and the self referencing is a clever gimmick, especially Michael Cera lampooning himself to 11. There could've of been a modern comedy classic like the Monty Python films but it is lost in stupid dick jokes and missed opportunities. I expected more and my rating remains unchanged. 04-10-2017.
September 29, 2017
freaking entertaining!!!
½ September 17, 2017
I thought it was great having the actors playing themselves, and overall the movie was extremely fun and enjoyable.
September 13, 2017
Funny ass movie. Funny creative plot . Super funny. 100%
September 3, 2017
Original and laugh out loud hilarious, This Is the End cashes in on the hype surrounding the disaster flick with a comic twist. James Franco, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen, James Franco, Craig Robinson, and Danny McBride portray themselves in an end of the world scenario and their wills to survive. Filled with witty banter and great cameos from the likes of Michael Cera, Emma Watson, Mindy Kaling, David Krumholtz, Rihanna, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Channing Tatum, and Paul Rudd add to the hilarity. The visuals are dazzling and there are some surprisingly scary scenes thrown in for good measure A top notch parody film in a sea of parody failures.
August 29, 2017
Seth Rogen and his usual entourage of stoner near-celebrities return to the screen, this time propped against the backdrop of a biblical end-of-world scenario. There's a certain taste of playful irony in the fact that so many of these actors, Rogen, Jonah Hill and Danny McBride especially, who share the common criticism of merely playing themselves throughout their careers, are doing so literally this time around. They're able to play that up to ridiculous extremes and big laughs in the long-form party scene that eats up most of the first act, riffing and rolling with the punches in their never-ending quest to make the cast and crew smile. Predictably, that's the film's sweet spot - a blank slate for ad-lib spoils - and when it's finally cast aside to make way for a more coherent narrative (admittedly, a very loose one) their ship springs a big leak. Where a more thoroughly-incubated concept like Shaun of the Dead is able to easily blend quick, witty banter with big set pieces and wild, frenzied action, This is the End struggles to unify an equally diverse toolbox. I can get the fish-out-of-water aspect that was being fronted here, of a catered group of celebrities who were lost when their smartphones dropped off the grid, but that runs out of gas near the three-quarter mark and when the big special effects swing and miss, there's nothing left to carry us the rest of the way. Really uproariously funny at a few points, but pointlessly thin and overblown at others.

Additional thoughts after a recent re-watch:

Like a lot of Rogen and company's films, I think this works far better if you fit one or two descriptions: happy-intoxicated or just in the mood for something completely mindless. Last night I was both, and man did it hit a sweet spot. Of course, the opening party scene has the greatest bits - actors and celebrities poking fun at themselves and the vapid public image that typifies their slice of pop culture - but it also functions well when the crowd is significantly reduced and the plot shifts from a snappy ensemble comedy to a much smaller crew in the midst of a disaster. The transition from dialog-driven laughs to a frantic survival parody is so sudden, the only thing I can compare it to is the infamous directorial shift of From Dusk Till Dawn. This is the End, though, pulls off that wheel jerk more than once. Of course, such swerves cause the storyline to spiral completely out of control, but that unpredictability is partially what makes it so stupidly entertaining. Not something I'd want to watch most nights, but it's also more consistently knee-slap funny than I remembered. Upon review, I'd upgrade my original score from an 6 to an 8.
August 26, 2017
This is the End is entertaining and funny even if it's uneven and loosely written relying on sudden jumps from taking shelter inside a mansion with 6 guys fighting over water to fighting demon bulls to having to deal with cannibal king Danny McBride.
August 25, 2017
The first part of this film is quite good, and Michael Cera was brilliant. But after an hour I was wishing it was the END. It is very silly and very daft which a lot of people will love, and normally so do I, but for me it got just a bit too repetitive.
August 21, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, this is the beginning of our review of This Is the End.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) As far as I m concerned The End couldn t come quickly enough.

SCOTT: Ouch! Let s recap. This Is the End starts out with a Hollywood party hosted by actor James Franco and attended by many other young Hollywood talents out for a good time. The guests include Craig Robinson, Jonah Hill, Danny McBride, Seth Rogen and Rogen s out of town friend, Jay Baruchel. The party is interrupted by a series of bizarre, destructive events: Earthquakes, sinkholes, massive fires, and beams of light from the sky that swallow people up.

GREG: Our heroes quickly realize that this is the Rapture and they ve been left behind. They are on a quest to stay alive, bunkered in Franco s massive SoCal home. They take stock of their reserves (water, liquor, cereal and a Milky Way bar) only to find that other actors would like to take their stash (case in point Miss Emma Watson).

SCOTT: From there, our heroes must figure out what is going on and how to survive what seems to be a hopeless situation, as evil demons try to break into Franco s home. Greg, from your opening remarks, I get the sense you didn t care for this film. I don t blame you. This genre of movie rarely interests me. But, shockingly, I m almost ashamed to say that I found myself enjoying this film. It was crude, vulgar, and disgusting -- a middle-schooler s dream, with much of the humor centering on body parts and bodily functions. To say that this movie is horrifically juvenile is an understatement. I probably lost a dozen IQ points watching this film, which may account for why I m reporting that I liked it as much as I did.

GREG: Scott, I hated this movie for the very reasons you liked it. It was sophomoric, gross-out humor. That alone wasn t enough for me to dislike the film. But it was another example (see Movie 43) of Hollywood s self-referential, insider jokery. If you re a friend of a friend of these actors, you d probably think it was pretty witty. Or if you were a fan of Pineapple Express (the film that launched Seth Rogan s and James Franco s careers) you d enjoy the inside jokes. As it was, the film is self-congratulatory, self-indulgent, and self-serving. I haven t seen such an example of actors engaging in (what basically amounts to) home movies since the Cannonball Run movies where Burt Reynolds, Dom Deluise, and friends just let the cameras run and created a movie in the editing room. I was bored from the beginning to The End.

SCOTT: I totally get what you re saying, Greg. Yet somehow, this movie won me over, and I m not friends with these Hollywood elite at all. The film manages to overcome it s absurd debauchery by being clever, creative, and amusing. There is some good writing here, even if it is self-referential and self-congratulatory. And underlying all the immature absurdity is a rather endearing buddy-hero story. Seth and Jay clearly share a bond, lose it, and then find a way to achieve redemption at the end. I liked that a lot.

GREG: The redemption, however, is a mockery of the classic hero s story. They aren t truly redeemed, they just put in the dialog and plot to make it happen at the last minute. But that s fine - it s a comedy after all. But the jokes are not even subtle. At one point Jonah Hill is raped by the devil (in an overt homage to Rosemary s Baby) and then must be exorcised (ala The Exorcist). But the dialog is lifted directly out of the first movie and they even put a placard up proclaiming The Exorcism of Jonah Hill. It s not original and it wasn t funny.

SCOTT: Well, I m not proud of the fact that I enjoyed this movie. This Is the End is a movie that I had no business liking but did anyway. It is saturated with puerile humor and silly, raunchy gags, but beneath the idiocy is an intelligent storyline that takes our two heroes on a journey of satisfying redemption. This film is no threat to win any Academy Awards, but it made me laugh and gag and have a good time. I give This Is the End 3 Reels out of 5, and 3 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:

GREG: Fair enough Scott. However I think that deep down you aren t ashamed that you enjoyed this movie. I can t recommend this movie to anyone other than hipster doofuses (and you may be a latent doofus at that). For an obvious swipe at the Left Behind series and insider humor, I give the film 1 Reel and 1 Hero. And 1 Reel to Scott for finding a way to use puerile in a sentence.
August 16, 2017
One of the most genius and hilarious comedies of the 21st century.
½ July 16, 2017
After the first 15 minutes i was asking for money refund in the cinema.
July 8, 2017
I thought this was gone be super funny with the actors who were in it but nooooo way damn
July 7, 2017
God this movie is so freaking funny from beginning to end never a dull moment and all the characters are lovable with comedy throughout. Make me wish if the the end of the world was here I would be with these dudes because of how hilarious it would be.