This Must Be The Place - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

This Must Be The Place Reviews

September 10, 2016
Awesome and stunning!
August 24, 2016
"Although "This Must Be the Place" holds our attention, it's a little difficult to say where it's headed."
½ August 5, 2016
A messy movie that throws many narrative elements together without any cohesion, drifting from odd character study to hunt-the-Nazi road-movie, and it is so rambling and disjointed in its structure that it feels pointless, with Sean Penn in an extremely annoying performance.
May 20, 2016
Inert and disappointing
May 10, 2016
I do like Sean Penn, and this movie wouldn't be the same without him at all. He is a very talented actor, and played an mentally disabled man trying to raise his daughter in a great performance in I am Sam, and I feel this movie also has a similar feel due to his presence and very impressive acting. He plays a retired Goth rockstar, who is a very interesting character who I can only explain as depressed, and he does a fantastic job and steals the show. But unfortunately it really only him that makes this movie work, as the basic story although interesting lakes much excitement or entertainment. We do have a few laughs, and awkward moments with people he meets, but it could have been filmed and shown a little differently I feel, it just needed something. The script is good, and the story is good, and Penn is great but it's lacking a good pace I guess. I can't really say what it needs or is missing the most though, but it could have been done better. Maybe it's a lack of real Nazi hunting other than asking around for a German, but this wasn't a problem and the story isn't actually that bad. The ending was kinda weird, like watching the old man walk out naked in front of his house in the middle of literally nowhere, it looked like the salt flats, and Cheyenne drives away without killing him. It's not inconclusive, it's just a weird scene that doesn't make much sense to why he made the old man do it, as it wasn't really humiliation as only him and one other Nazi hunter saw it happen. Also the fact that Cheyenne drives a big crew cab Dodge truck is interesting as it really does not fit his character or appearance. Overall a ok movie, Penn saves it, but everything around him just kinda falls flat unfortunately.
April 22, 2016
Brilliant, after it was over I had to play it all backwards. LOVED IT ?
April 16, 2016
Sean Penn continues to astound with his performances. Part Robert Smith, part Ozzy Osbourne, his portrayal of Cheyenne is excellent. I really enjoyed this movie.
½ April 9, 2016
Sean Penn is phenomenal as always.
But the film looks really weird in the hands of Paolo Sorrentino.
February 10, 2016
A deeply frustrating film. Sean Penn plays an aging rock star who travels across America to find the man who persecuted his father in Auschwitz. The story doesn't add up (why is he living in Ireland, married to a fire fighter?), and his quest is constantly diverted by a string of quirky, local characters whom he befriends. It's well worn trope of the road movie, but Penn's unbearably slow, soft and deadpan manner of speech makes the experience more annoying than heartwarming.
January 18, 2016
Emo edward scissorhand
January 12, 2016
Sean Penn, Frances McDormand and Paolo Sorrentino! Not to mention a wee bit of Harry Dean Stanton!! What could go wrong? Everything. What a dud! I really wanted to like this one, but the fuzzy hard to catch dialogue, the pointless cameos, the incomprehensible subplot that vanished, the too obvious exposition, the general indulgence of the thing not to mention the confounding need to turn it into a Holocaust movie all combined into two big fat thumbs down from the Duo. Do not waste your time.
½ January 5, 2016
I need to watch it again
December 18, 2015
Very different role for Sean Penn, however I found it excellently done! High recommendation for those NOT into Star Wars!!
November 22, 2015
Sooo, emo is as emo gets. I don't think he's goth...

"There's something not quite right about this (movie). I'm not sure what, but something."
September 4, 2015
I can't stand Sean Penn for his stands in politics but you can't judge the art by the artist and Penn always delivers a golden performance. This was a perfect role for him to show it off. It's a great unique story, amazing acting from everybody, a photography that leave you speechless. It's a must see. Sean Penn has fun with his character. He plays with it. The way he moves and plays with his shy quietness but that one scene where he lets everything out and confesses showed that he is more then a soft spoken child like oddball. The best thing about this movie is that it never worries about being a commercial success. It's an artist telling his story his way. My one complaint about this movie and I felt that it did hurt it somewhat was the relationships in Sean Penns characters life. How they were connected was never really fleshed out and it bothered me. But it's really a small portion of the story and shouldn't get in the way from enjoying it.
August 10, 2015
honestly one of the best movies i have ever seen ... dont judge a book by its cover ...
½ June 29, 2015
Incredibly odd and very human just like most of Sorrentino's work. I would pay a fortune for a workshop on how the gravity-defying live concert scene featuring David Byrne (who also plays himself and scores the film) was shot. Not entirely sure a road movie in which the Holocaust clashes with pop culture on a quest for maturity is for everyone but there are plenty of reasons to give into it - whether it's the lush and diverse camera work or Sean Penn's magnetism. Compulsory viewing if you are a sucker for father and son stories.
June 2, 2015
I'm honestly not sure how much I liked this movie, if at all. Sean Penn, as an aging ex-hair metal rocker, is either unbelievably awful or totally brilliant, I can't tell. Part of the reason for that is that I'm not sure what his character is all about. He's really creepy, but I think he's supposed to be endearing. The tone also seems totally confused; there are moments of (contrived) Diane Arbus-meets-Hal Ashby-style 'zaniness', and then there are moments of forced poignancy which don't really work since we don't understand the main character or what he's all about. Also, the story takes a long while (as in forty whole minutes) to get started, and then it ends up kind of nowhere; there's supposed to be some kind of redemptive moment for Penn's character but I guess I missed it. Judd Hirsch is really great in a thankless role, and Frances McDormand is fine as Penn's pot-smoking firefighter wife (no, I'm not kidding). This movie reminded me of Me and You and Everyone We Know, except I don't hate this one quite as much as I did that one. It has good stuff in it, mostly having to do with the cinematography. But there are also goofy-looking misfits, an ex-Nazi living incognito, and David Byrne (who wrote the music) in a cameo appearance playing himself for no apparent reason. I don't know, it didn't make much sense. And I found it too sluggish. So ultimately, I guess I don't like it much. It was compelling though, mostly because it's just so cough-syrupy-weird.
½ April 11, 2015
A meandering strange little film. A road movie of sorts. Though I am not sure what it was trying to say. The characterless were so out there. The characters seemed so detached from reality to make any real statement about the American condition. And the subplot of finding the aging Nazi had such an odd undertone it never really took off. Sean Penn's character was so whiny and uninteresting.
½ March 9, 2015
This is one of those movies that totally flat-lined for me. I watched it only because a friend liked and recommended it. However, I had serious doubts about it, after having read the synopsis and seen a photo of Sean Penn in drags. I am not a Penn fan, although I would not rule out a movie just because he is in it.

In this particular movie, I really disliked him for lots of reasons: the exasperating monotone of his speech; the phoniness of all his "conversations"; the weird and yet dull interaction with the many bizarre characters populating the movie, etc...

The word "boring" is used quite often when we explain why we did not like a movie. Basically, we did not feel emotionally or intellectually engaged by the story unfolding onscreen. Nothing works against this type of disengagement. No rational explanation will convince you about the deep, inner meaning the director, scriptwriter, actors and other reviewers saw or tried to instill into the story.

Therefore, for me this is the ultimate boring movie. A plot so thin I lost track of it after 10 minutes, totally disengaging and disengaged characters, far too much artsy Penn. I gave up, 1 hour and 6 minutes into it and I am not even sure why I lasted that long. By then, I still had no clue about what was going on and I definitely stopped caring even earlier .....