Time Regained Reviews

• May 07, 2018

The memories of the whole life, out of order. It's like time travel for adult with The Doctor. Complex and intelligent, this film is hard to follow really. More like a series of points made. And travel in the past in France.

• Dec 31, 2014

Here's a film that I adored that I can't recommend without pretty serious disclaimers. Ruiz nominally adapts the final book of Proust's "Remembrance of Things Past", but uses the loose structure as an excuse to pick freely from the entire mammoth work. He is clearly attempting to capture the stream-of-consciousness approach of Proust, and I would say he succeeds admirably. What this translates to is a glacially paced 2 1/2 hour trip through various parts of the protagonists life. I found it mesmerizing, but I like slow films that draw me inward. If you don't, the lack of a clear narrative will probably be torturous.

• Oct 11, 2013

The stream-of-consciousness structure effectively captures a mind lost in thought; what it doesn't effectively create, however, is drama. Moody, opulent, and just decadent enough, Ruiz's film is elegant all over and perverse around the edges, just as it should be.

• Jan 01, 2013

I had to make myself watch this film to gain any insight into Ruiz's cinematic treatment of the perception of time. The portrayal of every temporal concept seemed to be artificial, at least by today's standards. However, given that this film was made in 1997-98 I was disappointed that there wasn't something more subtle than what seems to be the surrealistic cinematic techniques of the 1950's. I suppose Ruiz is to be praised for his attempting to film Marcel Proust's novel but the film did nothing more than whet my interest in exploring the novel itself.

John B Super Reviewer
    Nov 23, 2012

I can't fault the acting. These folks were trying..but it was terribly boring.

I can't fault the acting. These folks were trying..but it was terribly boring.

• Jul 26, 2012

Raoul Ruiz' Time Regained is based on Marcel Proust's In Search of Lost Time, a book that I should probably have read first, because this movie is to difficult to understand because it certainly doesn't follow a normal story structure. For me it's like put together a jigsaw puzzle without the picture on the box, or looking for a treasure with out a map, which was of course the book. This is just the kind of film you have the feeling that you should read the book before the film, and from now on I shall follow that feeling. Trying to judge it as a movie it goes like this, It's confusing, it's impossible to keep track of who the characters is, because there are to many of them. There's to many different plot lines. But what I did like was the whole setting of the film, the aristocratic one who barely notice the war, except of all the causal funerals which. And also some of the characters are interesting, like John Malkovich as the Baron de Charlus who loves being wiped on his time off. An the also features two beauties, Catherine Deneuve which is a plus. But I did in fact like the acting pretty much, the characters have such a dept, that it actually makes me want to read the book. It's so close, but I have to give it a thumbs down because of the plot itself.

• Mar 06, 2011

This was wonderful--beautiful. It's given me an achey nostalgia for Marcel and his lovely novel. Ok, most of you know I'm nuts anyway. Now you can be sure.

• Apr 17, 2010

This movie bored me to death. The time changes were unclear and keeping up with the host of characters and reading the subtitles was just too much. John Malkovich seemed to have many of his lines dubbed in because that certainly was not his voice in many occasions. This movie is too long and just isnt tied together as a story very well.

• Jan 09, 2010

I am no Proust expert (I've read very little) so I didn't understand all the intricacies of character and family, but this was certainly well done.

• Oct 10, 2009

love Raoul Ruiz's movies. Proust's narrative is a challenge. Ruiz got it: specially all those queer feelings between those men and women from the turn-of 20th Century. Delicious images.