Too Late Reviews

• Oct 26, 2019

Not at all what you expect but so much more. John Hawkes is his usual brilliant playing the unassuming tough guy drifting the the seedy underbelly of a world he knows just a bit too well. Unique camera style puts you right there amidst all the grisly discomfort.

• Jun 17, 2019

A cheap wannabe Tarantino knock-off not worth watching.

A cheap wannabe Tarantino knock-off not worth watching.

• Sep 21, 2018

great filmography and very captivating

great filmography and very captivating

• Sep 02, 2018

The movie is a result of lazy writing. The internal logic just isn't there, and we are asked to accept circumstances and events that are too absurd to hang together.

• May 29, 2018

I loved John Hawkes in Small Town Crime. A fantastic, unexpected pleasure. Maybe it spoiled me, because this is awful. I kept watching it thinking why did it seem so familiar? Then it dawned on me. The cinematography was all 1970's, it was so retro. It looked like Dirty Harry, but nowhere near as good, obviously. An unexpected disappointment.

• Jan 26, 2018

I really enjoyed watching this film with the long takes its gritty drama! Sexy!

I really enjoyed watching this film with the long takes its gritty drama! Sexy!

• Jan 15, 2017

John Hawkes is always good, and the movie is interestingly shot. The way the story unfolds is also intriguing for the most part. I should have liked it more, I just didn't.

• Jan 07, 2017

had to check this one out since I have a huge soft spot for John Hawkes. some Tarantino - Jackie Brown type of vibes, cleverly edited, but with several flaws in writing, and ultimately an unimpressive film. on a high note, the film scoring was sublime.

• Dec 31, 2016

Shot in five, stupefying long takes (on film!), "Too Late" is more than just a technical achievement. It's a brilliant, stylish film noire with enough juicy twists to warrant some theatre going excitement. It's a slow burner, that takes it's pretty little time, but as soon as screen magnet John Hawkes pops up, we are off to the races. For a gun-toting, bloody-soaked, seedy L.A. tale of thugs, strippers and private dicks, "Too Late" is one heckuva pulpy, talkie movie. Told in a clever, scrambled time sequence of five acts, "Too Late" delivers the goods with a grand finale, which uh, is really the opening salvo. Private eye Hawkes tries valiantly, as does the audience, to solve a mighty tangled web of intrigue and mystery, which actually leads to a delicious and satisfying reveal. Do yourself a favour. - hipCRANK

• Dec 20, 2016

What an unexpected find. Basically a stage play set out on film, like a mix between a low budget Birdman and LA Confidential. It has its faults, and there's a few of them, but it's such a hidden gem that they're easy to look past. Clever, original story with more twists than a jazzed up G&T.