Tornado Alley - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Tornado Alley Reviews

February 24, 2014
Best Tornado Documentry/Movie ever.
January 12, 2013
Sean did as good a job as he could do! Awesome footage.
December 10, 2012
Cool story, but a lot of hype with not a lot of theatrical content. Or shots of tornadoes, or storms for that matter. Very short presentation on the who and why, but didn't capture a story outside that of the characters' motivation for chasing storms.

Not the best use of IMAX quality.
½ August 12, 2012
Caught this today during a free screening in 3D. If you've already watched an episode of "Storm Chasers" then you've watched this. Upgraded to 3D, you are seeing the IMAX version of the episodes. There is the occasional spectacular footage (in 3D it really does work well) but mostly it's all just filler. Narrated by Bill Paxton (insert "Twister" joke here) its a quick documentary that has a bit of flash but no substance.
July 23, 2012
I was able to catch this at my local IMAX theater, and I have to say that it was money well spent. This really delves into the nature of tornados and their power.

PLOT/SUBJECT:In this documentary about tornados, we follow two teams of tornado scientists in their journeys. We follow one team called V2 and their mission to capture more information about tornado origin, and we follow another team called NIV(?) and their mission to drive their armored vehicle into the center of a tornado and capture the intense footage. It's a good subject executed pretty well.

PEOPLE:The whole documentary is narrated by Twister's Bill Paxton (of course) and it stars one of the guys from Storm Chasers, Sean Casey. Paxton's narration was pretty good and legit and Casey's dedication to capturing his vision on film was very honest and intense.

SCORE:The background score for enhancing the intensity of the violent weather was pretty well composed. I liked the ending theme.

OTHER CONTENT:This IMAX documentary on the intensity of tornados was pretty intricate and very entertaining. It gave me chills at times and backed up a lot of their findings with scientific facts. However, there were a couple flaws I found with it that brought it down. Firstly, there were a few times where it tended to drag and get a little boring. Secondly, when we finally get to the intense conclusion of NIV's mission, it seems to pass faster than we expect, and it kind of becomes a let down when we find out that it's not as intense as we hoped. Nevertheless, it was still a very entertaining little film, especially with the IMAX film experience.

OVERALL,a great IMAX documentary with a good subject matter, good narration, honest dedication, well composed score, a pretty intricate study, overall entertainment, and scientific facts to back it up, but it dragged a good bit and the end is kind of a letdown.
July 23, 2012

May 21, 2012
I've already watched NatGeo's documentaries about tornados better than this film. I also expected more 3D effects once I watched this at iMAX Sydney.
May 18, 2012
Very Entertaining Throughout The Movie!
½ April 18, 2012
I have been following Sean Casey for years and couldn't wait another second to see this highly anticipated, 8 year in the making film with the intercept shot alluded to on Storm Chasers. However, I was really disappointed in how short the film was, and would have liked to see some more tornados! I can't even imagine how he was able to cut out so much of his 8-year adventure! It was still entertaining, interesting, and fun to watch in 3-D...so much so that I convinced our staff to take our 3rd grade field trip to the science museum to see it. I want to see more!!! Part 2???? :)
½ April 1, 2012
-Some really great shots throughout.
-Obviously doesn't portray Casey as the total dick he can be in Storm Chasers.
-Impact shot is somewhat of a let-down.
-40 minutes?
½ March 29, 2012
I almost gave it five stars. It was a great movie but when they were in the car, the camera was shaky.
March 29, 2012
Saw it at the local IMAX theatre, and I have to say... I was bored out of my mind. The only interesting part was when he built the car. I was so psyched about them going into the tornado. They went in. For 30 seconds I was waiting for something interesting to happen. The only thing was a tree blowing in the wind. I was so disappointed. Definitely not worth seeing.
March 25, 2012
Loved the movie, and it was even better getting to meet Sean Casey at the premiere in Denver.
½ February 22, 2012
If your a tornado nut like me don't expect much because not much is what you'll get. Alot of facts and science about tornados, and not much footage. I saw most of this on the weather channel already. All this culminates into the last 5-10 minutes of some footage of hail and the tornado that Sean goes threw but as I said it wasn't anything to get thrilled about.
February 4, 2012
Short. Lame. Uninteresting
November 25, 2011
Interesting to see the storm chasers in action and the devestation a tornado can leave behind. Imax 3D made the storm sequences look amazing. Overall, though, a bit anti-climatic - the ultimate shot of the inisde a twister just looks really windy...
November 24, 2011
I was disappointed. I thought there would be a lot more footage of tornadoes up close and the the narrator would explain some of what we are seeing. It looks like the TIV is hit directly with lots of wind, then Sean Casey says that they missed it by 5 minutes?!? I didn't know what I was looking at sometimes, and I've been watching Storm Chasers for years. Beautiful camera shots and neat info about V2 program, but the star of the show (the storms) just had cameos.
October 28, 2011
I saw this in an IMAX theatre at our local zoo. You gotta see this vehicle this guy builds. The movie follows two different teams of storm chasers.
½ October 17, 2011
I was expecting a lot more.
September 27, 2011
What was Sean Casey doing for the last 8 years?
What a big disappointment this movie is. I understand that what they do for a living is really amazing but that didn't come across on the big screen at all. Think about it at least 80% of people going to see this movie have watched or know about the television series, watching an episode on TV at home would be more exciting than the Imax movie Sean has made.

It is only 40 minutes long like most Imax movies, we have all watched the television show and have come along to see amazing weather footage, amazing tornado footage and what these tornadoes can do but it was almost like the tornadoes only played a small role in the movie and we watched some guy picking stuffed animals and sticking them to his car for luck?
Who cares?

With the time constraints you'd think that they would put in as much of themselves doing these amazing jobs and all this amazing weather footage ( tornadoes ) but no?

Sean has been filming out in Americas heartland for the past 8 years collecting great footage but we didn't get to see it? We herd allot about Vortex 2 and what they are trying to achieve but didn't see them actually doing too much and Sean and his TIV, what was it 1 or 2 intercepts that we saw?

I get you need to set up the story so we understand what is going on (even with narrator Bill Paxton who actually sounds bored in the second part of the movie) but there was too much of this movie is my dream, this is my TIV, this is Vortex 2, this is how to get stuffed toys from a vending machine and think its funny to stick it on my car and it feels like we have missed out on the stars of the film, who everyone has come to see, the tornadoes.
Don't get me wrong I'm a big fan, there was some great footage of storms here and I do get what they do is important, very dangerous and exciting but it obviously didn't make the cut.
There was no excitement like on the television show, no big lead up, no tornado chase and in the end not many tornadoes.