Total Recall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Total Recall Reviews

June 21, 2017
A bright and shiny slice of blockbuster sci-fi that's so dazzling it makes tender love to your retinas but so underwhelming it practically wipes itself from your memory the instant it's over.
June 14, 2017
Occasionally entertaining but for the most part, it is a pretty dull film that doesn't live up to the standard of Paul Verhoeven's 1990 original. The plot, the setup, the characters, the action, they are all very forgettable and I kept wishing that I was watching something else. There is no satirical bite or over-the-top action scenes that made the original memorable. It's not terrible, it's just very unmemorable and unnecessary.
½ June 10, 2017
I love the original film so I was disappointed when I saw they were not only remaking the film but were also removing practically everything that made the original great. Yes the special effects mostly look decent and yes the cast is good but the cast isn't used to their fullest thanks to a bland plot and boring script. All the violence, grit and practical effects that were present in the original have been completely washed out which makes the action for the most part come across numb and boring. This film just reinforces the notion that remakes are almost always inferior to the original.
May 6, 2017
This would be a perfectly decent action/sci-fi if it wasn't compared to the 1990 original, which just felt infinitely more epic.
May 1, 2017
Grade - C
Although it features some great action sequences, I could never get past the fact of how unnecessary this is.
April 29, 2017
The star is only for KB
April 15, 2017
Well that was stupid. Yet another terrible remake, sleek looking but thin, confusing and forgettable. Actually started out halfway decent but got dumber as the movie went into the second half and just became complete action nonsense. The original might have been cheesy in a way but it was at least fun unlike this unneeded retread.
March 2, 2017
A flat, heartless, action-packed sci-fi movie that has NOTHING of the original classic.
½ February 19, 2017
About as good as the original...
January 23, 2017
Great art direction.
January 3, 2017
A lifeless & witless version of the entertaining original . . .
December 30, 2016
Let's hope the original movie isn't bad as this movie
December 29, 2016
the effects were good,
Not as bad as I thought, some good bits but end disappointing
December 5, 2016
Cool action sequences don't make up for the boring and dull plot.
November 20, 2016
I wanted to line this movie more than I did. The original is better. Some of the special effects are really impressive looking, but the plot and some overacting or miscasting or something just didn't work for me.
½ November 20, 2016
Another remake that possibly didn't need to be remade, although in the pro column it's not as day-glo post-80s as the previous incarnation, and apart from its white-dominated principals (the original had one up on this with the Hispanic lead Ticotin), it has a more multicultural air to it. The visual design is also gritty cyberpunk (although perhaps a little too much lens flare going on) and its sound design is grounded in this too and more appealing. Beckinsale also owns every action scene she is in. However the world setting itself is confusing: Australia (or is it New Asia?) and the UK aren't direct Antipodes, and Americans seem to have taken over both countries - unfortunately in wanting to market the film to the US, the producers missed an excellent opportunity to have an Irish protagonist with Farrell not having to change his accent. Same with the wasted chance to have Nighy speak in his own accent. Plus there are incredibly cheesy and nonsensical nods to the original in the three-breasted prostitute (with no other mutations in sight), the middle-aged traveller saying "Two weeks", and arms being cut off by an elevator - kinda unnecessary really.
½ November 20, 2016
whoever that critic from the front cover from MySpace that said its better than the original needs his credentials taken away. Graphics and some of the effects are new but nothing outstanding and definitely not close to Arnold's.
November 11, 2016
Hizexrrde4.7hb84tf7Tt884ffeiue2
September 18, 2016
Impressive action adventure!
September 5, 2016
love this movie!! loads with action and violence sequences!!! very entertaining!! Kate Beckensale is so hot and sexy in this film.