Trishna - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trishna Reviews

½ October 23, 2015
having read Hardy's 'tess' book & seen polanski's 'tess' this bears no resemblence to either but on its own i liked it.
October 8, 2015
It takes a while to figure out what Winterbottom wants to say with what appears to be a conventional love story set in India, but soon the film proves to be more ironic, intense and emotionally draining than it seemed at first - with a very surprising third act.
February 11, 2015
Michael Winterbottom is a talented director capable of shooting wonderful films about people and their realities. With a Mighty Heart, he painted the portrait of a woman struggling to face the death of her husband while being six month pregnant. With Trishna he depicts the daily life of a poor young beautiful woman from Rajastan who encounters a young wealthy man and embarks on a journey with him. The film is gorgeously shot and one gets the feeling of the Indian current state, a country lost between ancestral tradition in the country and modernity in over crowded and booming cities such as Mumbai. Trishna is a beautiful character, a sad manipulated heroine who's pure heart is being tested and perverted by the young man who decides to impose games of eroticism and sexual manipulations on her. Trishna is extremely moving as a character and even though she never says much, her presence and enigmatic beauty are burning the silver screen. India is a complex and intense land and this film like the country is a complex, multilayered and sad story of someone prisoner of a condition from which only death appear to be the exit. Powerful film.
October 6, 2014
Very good watch and insight in to some of Indian life
½ October 1, 2014
The film is probably notable more for helping break down some cinematic barriers in its depictions that many films from the sub-continent have never thought about using in its 100 year history. The disappointment is in the actually love story we see, which is more emotion than substance and feels too sedate and unexplained.
August 31, 2014
Great film, Frieda pinto did a great job.
April 3, 2014
Wow. I was not expecting the movie to go the direction it did. Jay's metamorphosis came as quite a surprise, as did Trishna's final conclusion. Sometimes I felt like the movie was rather lost, kind of like its main character. It's a little long, but Frieda Pinto gives a very good performance. For a while I doubted her acting ability but she really shined through here.
½ February 10, 2014
love isn't always really love, that's when loss of innocence could turn the monster out.

Frieda's performance is amazing, the dialogue could've been better.
February 1, 2014
Trishna is a love story based on the Thomas Hardy novel Tess of the D'urbervilles. I haven't read it or seen the Polanski adaptation with Nastassia Kinski. Freida Pinto is the Tess character this time round, and she is breathtakingly beautiful; so casting is not the problem The story is based on one of the most celebrated pieces of literature of all time, Thomas Hardy's "Tess of the d'Ubervilles". To me, this film feels like a one-time experience; an interesting artistic vision capable of marking you and staying with you for some time. So, go ahead! Whenever you get the chance to see this film, I say "go for it!". It's something refreshingly unconventional that you might find yourself drawn by for the same reasons as me! I recommend seeing "Trishna" because of its ultimately shocking, thought-provoking nature. Come on! You have nothing to lose!
½ December 16, 2013
Though a melodrama, this Indian movie was very good.
November 28, 2013
The movie was pretty good, but I am not sure if I like Trishna herself because she seems to be a bit of a flake. It could be because of the cultural communication barrier that made her snap. This movie kind of pisses me off.
November 19, 2013
Decent movie. Not so much like Thomas Hardy's classic novel Tess of the D'Ubervilles, of which this was supposed to be loosely based. Very loosely. Freida Pinto is very beautiful, and a decent actress. This movie just seemed to drag on, and on.
September 1, 2013
I actually feel sorry for myself for wasting 2 hours on this movie on a weekend night. This was supposed to be a modern adaptation of Tess of the D'Ubervilles. I didn't get that. At all. This movie was full of loopholes and the actors did a poor job of getting the point across - or wait. Should I blame the writers for that? Let's just blame both. Freida Pinto sleepwalked through this role - I did not understand what her character was feeling at any point. Love, hate, consensual sex, rape, what? I don't know. That sums up her performance. Riz Ahmed is a beautiful man with a lot of talent, but his performance was not up to the mark either. When Jay turned from lovesick puppy to troubled lover, I have no clue. I literally found myself screaming "WHAT?!" at the TV screen repeatedly in the last 30 minutes of the movie. The highlights? Kalki Koechlin, Anurag Basu and Huma Qureshi in small special appearances. That's all.

To sum it up: If you want to watch this movie, read the plot on the Wikipedia page. It'll make more sense.
August 24, 2013
This was spectacular! It has been a few months since I watched it, yet I remember vividly some scenes and of course the great story. Very realistic, very Indian, and very good!
August 21, 2013
While there were undertones of the Thomas Hardy based tale, they were far and few between. This was a much more dark, and sinister story. It begins as one of love and spirals into something quite puzzling and actually really frightening. Frieda Pinto gave a lovely performance. It was interesting to see her in such a role. Overall, it makes for an new spin on a classic story.
½ May 22, 2013
While the conventional rural India setting gels well with Hardy's Tess of the D'Ubervilles, the final product is quite generic in Bolywood terms.
hunterjt13
½ May 21, 2013
A lower class woman falls for an upper class man.
This is how class-conscious love stories should be done. Class becomes palpable and real, and the sacrifices that each lover must undertake in order to make the match work ring true and compelling. Rather than falling into the trap of being generalized, Jay must at times give up aspects of his livelihood for Trishna, who later becomes so engrossed in the relationship that what she gives up becomes stomach-curdling and ultimately tragic.
Michael Winterbottom fashions a film out of such short scenes, and he does so expertly, able to compact huge spaces of time and dramatic jumps of character.
However, I did not like the end, which seemed to wrap things up too neatly.
Overall, this is very strong film, and it's fitting because British and Indian filmmakers are more attuned to the ravages of class difference than we are.
½ May 11, 2013
You don't have to have read Tess of the D'urbervilles to be gripped by this deeply moving story about forbidden love across class chasms. Set in modern-day India, it deftly explores the dynamics of relationships based on power and uncommunicated expectations. Simply outstanding movie.
½ May 1, 2013
I might not particularly like the ending, actually I don't mind it, especially with the way the story goes. Otherwise, it's a pretty good view of people and their lives in India
March 27, 2013
A modern day take on the rich-boy-meets-poor-girl theme. Visually and musically lavish. India was an excellent choice. The overall sound and imagery was able to lighten an otherwise somber plot. Pinto is an effective actor but while i sympathize with the characters, the movie failed to focus on each of the characters so I find it difficult to fully invest myself emotionally on them. It almost seems as if the tragedy stems entirely from rigid customs and social norms. Far from perfect, but worth the watch!