Trishna Reviews

• Oct 15, 2019

Strange film. It's let down by poor dialogue and weird overall structure. Freida Pinto and the locations/visuals are the only bright parts of 'Trishna'.

• Jul 29, 2017

Slow and beautiful and meditative, Trishna is an adaptation of Hardy's "Tess of D'Urbervilles". It's as lush as Bollywood and as muted as the original story, though with major deviations. For those who may not know the original Tess, it stands on its own as a study of a passive young girl and the seductive young man whose life crosses with hers.

• Oct 23, 2015

having read Hardy's 'tess' book & seen polanski's 'tess' this bears no resemblence to either but on its own i liked it.

• Oct 06, 2014

Very good watch and insight in to some of Indian life

Very good watch and insight in to some of Indian life

• Oct 01, 2014

The film is probably notable more for helping break down some cinematic barriers in its depictions that many films from the sub-continent have never thought about using in its 100 year history. The disappointment is in the actually love story we see, which is more emotion than substance and feels too sedate and unexplained.

• Apr 03, 2014

Wow. I was not expecting the movie to go the direction it did. Jay's metamorphosis came as quite a surprise, as did Trishna's final conclusion. Sometimes I felt like the movie was rather lost, kind of like its main character. It's a little long, but Frieda Pinto gives a very good performance. For a while I doubted her acting ability but she really shined through here.

• Feb 12, 2014

Michael Winterbottom is a talented director capable of shooting wonderful films about people and their realities. With a Mighty Heart, he painted the portrait of a woman struggling to face the death of her husband while being six month pregnant. With Trishna he depicts the daily life of a poor young beautiful woman from Rajastan who encounters a young wealthy man and embarks on a journey with him. The film is gorgeously shot and one gets the feeling of the Indian current state, a country lost between ancestral tradition in the country and modernity in over crowded and booming cities such as Mumbai. Trishna is a beautiful character, a sad manipulated heroine who's pure heart is being tested and perverted by the young man who decides to impose games of eroticism and sexual manipulations on her. Trishna is extremely moving as a character and even though she never says much, her presence and enigmatic beauty are burning the silver screen. India is a complex and intense land and this film like the country is a complex, multilayered and sad story of someone prisoner of a condition from which only death appear to be the exit. Powerful film.

• Feb 10, 2014

love isn't always really love, that's when loss of innocence could turn the monster out. Frieda's performance is amazing, the dialogue could've been better.

• Nov 28, 2013

The movie was pretty good, but I am not sure if I like Trishna herself because she seems to be a bit of a flake. It could be because of the cultural communication barrier that made her snap. This movie kind of pisses me off.

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Nov 19, 2013

Decent movie. Not so much like Thomas Hardy's classic novel Tess of the D'Ubervilles, of which this was supposed to be loosely based. Very loosely. Freida Pinto is very beautiful, and a decent actress. This movie just seemed to drag on, and on.