Trollhunter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Trollhunter Reviews

October 21, 2016
A fantastically comically, yet dark Norwegian found footage film. Spectacularly shot, wonderfully told and Otto Jespersen's performance is damn near perfection.
October 16, 2016
"Trollhunter" is a found-footage fantasy film that plays like a nature documentary. Sometimes it's immersive and other times, it's absolutely boring. With exciting chase scenes across Norwegian fjords and humor as dry as astronaut food helping it along, "Trollhunter" is an interesting experience.
October 4, 2016
Found footage movies, ranging back to the father of them all in The Blair Witch Project, have been consistently not good. They've been sorry excuses to rob audience members of their money...most of them. However, just when you're about to lose faith entirely in the genre, a movie like Trollhunter comes around that completely changes your mind. Trollhunter is a smartly executed, funny and frightening found-footage movie that dodges cliche after cliche to give the audience a satisfactory viewing experience.
½ September 27, 2016
Troll Hunter dose not blast constant action in your face, and goes with the principle of what you don't see is more scary like in "The Cat People" and "Jaws". It saves the reveals for the right time, and makes you worry about the characters. This is a great modern horror flick, I was able to ignore the CGI in this one as well, the rest is just so good I was able to accept it.
½ August 31, 2016
A good horror-comedy with some very interesting ideas and strong performances that sadly gets bogged down by mediocre writing. Worth seeing before the unavoidable American remake.
August 19, 2016
So pretty much take The Blair Witch Project. Replace a witch you never see with giant trolls and replace three assholes arguing in the woods with some twenty-somethings having the time of their life. The fake documentary style has proved to be a great way for filmmakers to get their start and putting their mark on cinema. The film goes down the right paths, and follows a rather formulaic story-line, but with such a unique story leading the way, you're more than happy to take the voyage through troll territory and help put an end to their trolly shenanigans. The story starts off on one path and stays on it. they informed the viewer quite well about troll history and the different types. It was the type of love you hoped would be present here, and I can't help to feel thankful for such research and creative thinking. They way they combine modern science with old time folklore. Like for example trolls turning to stone in sunlight. You find out why. And the whole thing about being able to smell the blood of a Christian man which eventually turns into the question of if they could smell the blood of a Muslim. You have to imagine there was a lot of fun happening while making this. Overall, the actors and writing delivered a fine job as they juggled tongue-in-cheek overacting with some scenes of serious drama. Basically every area of the film delivered to how you would want, and I was totally content with how the fx and trolls all looked. The movie shows the beautiful mountain countryside Norway has to offer made me want to see it for myself. It's one of the best found footage films around. I hope a sequel get's made where they go and systematically hunt down and kill internet trolls. The worst kind.
August 17, 2016
Yes a modern tale of trolls with subtitles. And it's fantastic.
½ July 30, 2016
Not a bad film at all the story was a little different to what I thought it would of been, The troll effects were great, Just like most found footage films it takes a while for anything to happen and at the end it asks more questions than it answers, This didn't really finish like that but it wasn't a great ending, Worth watching just dont expect a troll version of Cloverfield.
½ July 6, 2016
A funny, tense and dread-filled experience with great visuals.
½ June 19, 2016
2016. Pretty entertaining
June 18, 2016
We were hit with extreme meh over it. sorry & all that.
½ June 6, 2016
A descent found footage mockumentary. I found this film to have some strong and weak points. The weak points are that this film gets really boring sometimes and it will also give you a headache, because of the filming technics. But the strong points are that it manages to be a good film and the visual effects look so realistic, they are so well made, this movie definitly belongs in the top 5 best special effects in found footage films, along with Cloverfield (2008) and VHS 2 (2013). One shitty though, is that the intro was in Norwegian, and I ain't understanded elements of the plot. But still, if you don't get fucking headaches, recommended !!
½ June 6, 2016
Great animation on trolls but film was too long and drawn out
½ May 25, 2016
An extremely interesting insight into Norwegian culture which culminates into an interesting, unfamiliar film that is both enjoyable and awesome.
½ May 6, 2016
Not scary. Commendable given the context of being low budget, but other than that it fails to scare + drags on at certain points throughout.
Unimpressed and disappointed.
April 11, 2016
This is a "found footage" film, directly borrowing this story telling device from The Blair Witch Project (1999) and all others who followed it. This Norwegian film is not tainted with a Hollywood formulaic production. Its simple, honest narrative emphasizes it mockumentary feel.

I wish there had been more trolls in this film! Seeing the giant troll at the end was cool, but it was too little, too late. This is a fair film, but not a good one, although I truly wanted it to be.
April 4, 2016
This Scandinavian horror-comedy surprises with astounding special effects and an entertaining story line. Playing on old Norwegian folklore of the menacing Troll, this film is well worth the watch - just don't expect anything in the form of true horror.

The film follows a group of Norwegian students investigating the strange deaths of bears throughout the region. Their search soon leads them on the track of Hans, a secretive hunter whom appears to be the root cause of the mysterious deaths. Ever reluctant to aid the students, Hans finally gives in to their persistent requests and opens their eyes to the terrifying fairy tale.

The mockumentary boasts breathtaking landscapes of Scandinavia throughout the search for the destructive trolls. Twisting and turning our way through forests and rivers, the superior special effects and natural landscapes never disappointed.

Despite the mesmerizing visuals, the film does drag at points and many of the hints at proper Norwegian folklore will go over the heads of many Westerners (like myself). Without the necessary Norwegian perspective, the comedy can be a bit dry at times as well. Don't expect anything up to the standards of 'Tucker & Dale vs. Evil', but these trolls certainly toss any shark themed films out of the way with ease.
½ April 3, 2016
Much more entertaining than it has any right to be.
March 25, 2016
Visual effects aside (since it is a low budget indie film), this movie has great character development and an interesting story that I have not seen before.
½ February 23, 2016
A found footage film done right and with an interesting twist. Do not skip this one while going through your Netflix queue.