True Lies Reviews

• Jul 17, 2019

It starts out as a goofy James Bond rip-off, but when the plot kicks off (and it took the entire first act to do so), I realized that the movie actually has a pretty decent premise that's as cool as the innovative camera work and the incredible over-the-top action set-pieces that haven't aged even a tiny bit. However, the first act is actually the part of the movie I enjoyed the most. Mostly, because it's where the silly humour works perfectly. But then again the first act really didn't need to be that long, and it's the main reason this movie is overlong in first place. Although it's where the plot begins to develop, the second act is by far my least favourite part of the movie. It is gratuitously stretched, and hence I found it quite boring. The third act has some of the coolest and most intense action sequences I've seen in a Cameron film. By that I mean they are really as cool and intense as The Terminator's. All in all, I liked True Lies, and I think it's one of the most entertaining, and also one of the weakest, movies has James Cameron ever made despite its notable flaws such as the paper-thin plot. If you don't think this movie is silly enough, try to translate the Arabic lines. I'm sure they will do :) (7/10)

• Jan 18, 2019

When action movies were action movies. Verges on the daft, but is well done.

When action movies were action movies. Verges on the daft, but is well done.

• Oct 26, 2018

May have some moments that I thought were bland, but very fun and memorable nonetheless.

• Oct 03, 2018

True Lies has a forgettable first act and an overly action-oriented third act, but the second act is where the film shines the most thanks to a terrific mix of situational comedy, strong dialogue, great chemistry between the two leads and a solid script. It's one of James Cameron's better films featuring a terrific Jamie Lee Curtis performance while also showcasing stupendous Arnie who here gave the only really good performance of his career.

• Sep 05, 2018

A bit long and ridiculous, but semi entertaining

A bit long and ridiculous, but semi entertaining

• Jun 30, 2018

Absolutely one of Arnold Schwazenegger's best movies. Such an awesome movie. Everybody must see this one. Also one of James Cameron's best movies. Really love this movie so much.

• Jun 18, 2018

purposefully ridiculous and action packed true lies works as an action comedy with an insane premise

• Jun 10, 2018

Ok action movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jaime Lee Curtis. The action is pretty cool but besides that the rest of the movie is ok.

• Jun 05, 2018

True Lies is one of the best Bond films that doesn’t feature James Bond. I love the spy and espionage stuff in this film, even though it’s so ridiculously over the top. Most of the action is shot well, as you would expect from James Cameron. There’s an intensity and excitement to it, plus some wonderful practical stunts and effects. But one of the problems with all the practical stunt work is the fact that they made the poor decision to hold too long on certain shots that show the face of the stuntman. If they chose a slightly different angle they could have left us only looking at the back of the stuntman’s head, and it wouldn’t be so obvious that we aren’t seeing Arnold Schwarzenegger. It doesn’t completely take me out of the film, but it can be an odd distraction when you’re in the middle of a chase sequence and suddenly you’re looking at a different actor running away. I also thought the intensity of the action was dialed up by the score from Brad Fiedel. His addition makes those action scenes so thrilling that I often find myself on the edge of my seat. Schwarzenegger is great in the lead role because he can look slick and sophisticated, but also he’s big enough to be a physical threat to all the terrorists he faces. I think he has some decent comedic timing as well, even though he is often the straight man in this movie. There are a lot of laughs, and that’s because this is the one time that Tom Arnold has actually been funny. I’ll give some of the credit for that to the screenwriter, but Arnold makes the role of wise-cracking partner work well. Jamie Lee Curtis gets to do so much in this movie, from playing boring house wife to awkward seductress. One of my favorite things about the seduction scene is how she is able to show her inexperience with this kind of thing and yet still do it so effectively. The villains are all a bit cliché, and perhaps bordering on racist stereotypes, but I still like Art Malik’s dramatic passion and Tia Carrere’s unbridled greed. Finally, Bill Paxton is marvelous in this film. He gets a limited number of scenes, but those are some of the funniest moments in the entire film. It’s this mix of amazing action and laugh-out-loud comedy that makes True Lies something special. I’ve seen other movies about a spy who doesn’t tell his family who he is, but I’ve never seen it executed this well before. Ordinarily it would be an annoying distraction when a film completely diverts from the main plot, as this one does when Schwarzenegger starts using his spy organization for personal purposes. However, in True Lies it’s one of the best parts of the film, and they even manage to link it all back into the main plot eventually. There is very little that I don’t like about this movie. It covers multiple different genres (espionage thriller, action, family, comedy, etc.) and is one of the best examples of all of those genres at the same time. Obviously people who like something more grounded and real should avoid this movie like the plague, because it embraces the heightened reality of an action blockbuster to the extreme. But for me True Lies delivers everything I want from this style of movie, and I cannot wait for it to finally get a Blu-Ray release! Ranking on my Flickchart Wins against Elmer Gantry Wins against The Lady Vanishes Wins against Zootopia Wins against Mary Poppins Loses to The Shawshank Redemption Wins against Scream Wins against The Taking of Pelham One Two Three Wins against Frequency Loses to Noises Off Loses to Field of Dreams Wins against Inception True Lies ranked 53 out of 1553

• May 24, 2018

Great action and Jamie Lee Curtis make this film enjoyable but between them they only just succeed in covering over the cracks. On balance I would have expected better from a James Cameron / Tony Scott COLLABORATION.