True Romance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

True Romance Reviews

December 8, 2016
An unapologetic pastiche of Terrence Malick's vastly superior Badlands, right down to the shameless Carl Orff music by Hans Zimmer. As with so much of Tony Scott's output it never knows when to stop (Gandolfini's beating up of Patricia Arquette) and places visuals and soundtrack over story and script. One scene transcends all the others: Christopher Walken's interrogation of Dennis Hopper. These guys know what they're doing, and for once Scott allows it to play without fuss.
September 21, 2016
One of Tony Scott's best. The screenplay by Tarantino is what gives the movie it's tone of voice and Tony Scott hasn't directed at better movie better than this cult ground breaking of a film. And the performances all around are incredible but the two that stand out the most is Chris Walken and Dennis Hopper in the "Sicilian scene" that must be in the top 100 best scenes of all time in movie history. And the music itself for its time is what gives the movie it's vibe which always makes me think that they don't make movies like this anymore of this style of filmmaking.
½ September 1, 2016
This money will take the 3rd slot in my favorite movie list. It is in fact a movie that I have True Romance for. The characters, to pimps, to gangsters, to hookers, to cocaine it is an amazing movie even if the premise is cliche.
August 18, 2016
my favourite movie...I could watch it over and over again and never get bored
August 1, 2016
Weird situation where I think I would recommend this movie to most people but I actually stopped watching about 1/3 through.. didn't captivate me, didn't feel like finishing it. But looked like not a bad flick..
July 20, 2016
Featuring some of the best dialogue Tarantino has ever written (which is saying something), and one of the greatest casts ever assembled, 'True Romance' is a one-of-a-kind success that delivers the thrills, laughs, and a surprising degree of sentimentality. Also, the late Tony Scott deserves a pat on the back for being one of the few people who can direct a Tarantino script, besides himself.
½ July 17, 2016
Great script, which you'd expect from Tarantino, even if it was his earlier work.

Quality violence, acting & overall a decent movie.

[7/10]
July 9, 2016
Still one of my all time favorites after all these years. Bloody, pulpy and hopelessly romantic. All you would expect from a Tarantino Script before he even directed! Plus, Gary Oldman has one of the best short roles I have even seen as the pump along with Christopher Walken as Blue Lou Boyle! (with Brad Pitt in a hilarious small role as well).
June 21, 2016
A must watch for Tarantino fans, True romance has his trademark dialogue and combines violence and fun as always despite a different director
½ June 4, 2016
True Romance is clever and original, which is expected from any Tarantino screenplay.
May 31, 2016
This film is shot through with a tender, sentimental, romantic vein that is very out of touch with our age but mixed in with gangsters and pimps it somehow works. It starts out in savage Detroit, a post-industrial wasteland where Sonny Chiba movies and comic books pass for culture and art. Clarence falls in love with Alabama, a whore with a heart of gold, and, in killing her pimp, he finds himself in possession of a suitcase of cocaine. While gangsters chase them, they race to Hollywood to find a buyer for the drugs amidst wealthy film producers. Quentin Tarantino wrote the screenplay and it includes many of his obsessions like kung fu movies, pulp paperback criminals, and brilliant dialogue. The Detroit setting is purely literary, an homage to one of Tarantino's biggest influences, Elmore Leonard, who set many of his crime novels there including The Switch, a copy of which a young Tarantino was once apprehended stealing from a Kmart. When the film moves to Los Angeles the setting is equally vividly portrayed with a cast of stoners and wannabe actors and rich film producers. There's a tremendous amount of acting talent from Patricia Arquette to Samuel L. Jackson, Dennis Hopper to Christopher Walken. But ultimately it's the romanticism of the two lovers on the run that make this such a great film, particularly as expressed through the eloquent voice over of the young woman, Alabama.
½ May 27, 2016
True Romance, written by Quentin Tarantino, is the kind touching, action-packed drama thriller that has two 'Bonnie & Clyde' quasi protagonists doing everything they can to keep their relationship intact; even if it, by all means, taking extreme measures. Thumbs Up, delivers the goods ????
½ May 17, 2016
True Romance (1993) ?? 1/2
If you're willing to leave your brain at the door, then you just might enjoy this dumb, teenage boy fantasy, featuring all the necessities: lots of money, flashy cars, pretty blonds, violent gunfights, etc. An array of juicy performances from familiar actors, Tarantino's colorful script, and director Scott's sheer energy are major assets, although film's attempt to couple several genres together is lazy and obvious, sloppy too. Favorite bit: Christopher Walken's integration with Dennis Hopper.
May 6, 2016
my all time favorite movie! !!!!!!
April 15, 2016
interesting characters, crisp script in the Tarantino accustomed fashion.
½ April 15, 2016
Amazingly violent love story for the ages. One of my favorite from the 90s era.
March 26, 2016
you're so cool, you're so cool, you're so cool
March 4, 2016
Perfect movie-making - fast paced with cool Tarrantino dialogue. Then throw in an all-star cast just for good measure.