Under the Skin Reviews

• Aug 27, 2020

I understand what they were trying to say in this movie about the effects of grief and a desperate search for attention involving a vulnerable young girl but it didn't really hit the mark for me. Samantha Morton, Claire Rushbrook and Rita Tushingham star as a family where communication and trust have broken down and they capture the fragility of their characters superbly. For me, the main issue was the fact that the once the self-destructive direction of Morton's character had been established, the plot kind of ground to a halt like it had nowhere to go and nothing more to say. The ending, which is ultimately hopeful, needed further exploration to round off the story and felt kind of tacked on just to stop the whole film from being crushingly depressing. I wanted to know just a bit more to give me the kind of sense of redemption that I think the characters deserved.

• Feb 27, 2016

There wasn't really a story, it was pretty much just seduction and death. Very minimalist as far as cinematography goes. Other art films such as enter the void are very confusing as you try to decipher through the action, and this movie is the opposite. As you watch you can come up with your own theories about it what means and what the symbolization means as well.

• Apr 09, 2014

an occasionally bizarre, occasionally brilliant examination of grief and loss.

an occasionally bizarre, occasionally brilliant examination of grief and loss.

• Jan 25, 2013

Bleak at times, but honest, in an artistic yet honest character observation after the death of her mother. High notes - Dr - Billy Burke, Carine Adler Ac - Samantha Morton

• Jun 24, 2012

Sorg, smärta, sex, skuld och sånt.

Sorg, smärta, sex, skuld och sånt.

• Cassandra M Super Reviewer
    Feb 10, 2011

This film was shown last night on UK TV. Unfortunately I missed the first 20 minutes or so but the rest was so good I feel it is still worth commenting on. The film centres around the different reactions of two sisters to their mother's death - don't however get the impression that this is a film to be endured rather than enjoyed. Although the subject matter is serious and the film very emotionally moving, there are flashes of humour throughout and it is not boringly earnest for one moment. I read somewhere that the director is an admirer of Mike Leigh's "Naked". While it is no poor relation, if you appreciate the work of Mike Leigh you would probably also enjoy "Under the Skin".

• Jun 27, 2010

A star turn by Morton isn't enough to salvage the unconvincing plotting.

A star turn by Morton isn't enough to salvage the unconvincing plotting.

• Sep 23, 2009

Interesting look at grief and the trauma shared between two sisters at the passing of their mother. Unfortunately their relationship is never quite given the attention is deserves. Full of great performances, most significantly Samantha Morton's first lead role in a feature length film. Her performance is both stunning and daring and excels when given the freedom to experiment with a character. A great low budget British film, directer Carine Adler shows real potential but for some reason hasn't made a film since this 1997 debut.

• Jul 12, 2009

The story is about a young woman who has a series of sexual encounters to numb the pain of the loss of her mother after she died of cancer. This is a great start for anyone who wants to see Samantha Morton's acting skills. She does an excellent job at being a complete mess of a woman and also being vulnerable at the same time. The film isn't 58 minutes long. It's really more of an hour and 20 or 30 minutes long actually. It's a great film. Overlooked, but really good. I recommend it.

• Mar 16, 2009

Another feminine text. Typical down-to-earth style of British Cinema. It might be new & provoking back in 1997 but kinda cliched & stereotyped for today's standard, though it was already a quality film. However I like Carine Adler's debut [Fever] in the bonus a bit more. A very wonderful & captivating Samantha Morton.