Underworld: Awakening - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Underworld: Awakening Reviews

½ March 19, 2017
How not to make a movie: Lesson 1
½ February 26, 2017
Under World Awakening is the follow up film to Under World World Evolution and is the worst of the franchises 5 films. Kate Beckinsale is good in the role as usual and altho they basically gutted her character with some of the most atrocious writing. The other cast members are a hit or miss. I also "appreciate" (not really) the film having Micheal Corvin sit this one out seeing as he's one of the most boring protagonists in the franchise altho this is basically the last you ever see of him in this franchise so it's big middle finger to long time fans. The story itself I found to be the least bit interesting and felt like some generic video game story line as well as a generic plot that plenty of other god awful movies have told as well as it shits all over the mythos that the previous films set up basically discarding them into the dump because the film writers here aren't very good at their jobs. This movie is also notable for wasting really great actors by having them do nothing. This film seems to have taken a major hit when it comes to special effects because the CGI for the Lycans is the worst it's ever been. Also I don't know what the hell that sorry excuse of a "Werewolf" that was towards the middle to the end but that huge muscular seal looking beast is a complete ugly abomination. Just a terrible werewolf design with horrendous CGI. This is about as far away from a werewolf this series has reached basically making them shape shifters more so then they used to be. This is basically more of the same but worse so if you like this franchise you'll probably hate this movie because it shits all over the previous films but if you hate them or expect decent film making then you won't find much enjoyment from this film or at all. Overall .5/5
jamrcla
February 11, 2017
Just as good as the others, Maybe more action oriented than anything as there's very little plot and what story there was is very predictable, But it has some great gory action scenes as we expect in a Underworld movie, The effects were good most of the time, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, It won't be winning any new viewers over but fans of the older entries will love it just as much, Let's hope they don't get too silly with things as it has set itself up for a fifth movie and Keeping things fresh and interesting may prove harder.
January 25, 2017
December 31st 2012
July 18th 2014
January 25th 2017
½ January 18, 2017
Upping the scale doesn't always mean a better film. 'Awakening' finds Underworld at its bloodiest and perhaps most action packed, but there's once again little under the surface of a vampire-action flick.

At this point in the franchise, you pretty much know what you're going to get. Selene leads the war against anyone who opposes their kind. This time, however, it's humans who are on the opposite end of the stick. This premise felt a lot like when the old Planet of the Apes franchise ran out of ideas so they made a time jump and brought the humans in as the antagonists. In fact, it touches on a lot of the same social issues that 'Escape from the Planet of the Apes' did, experimentation on creatures for one. The problem is, it's only touched upon. Just like the new relationship Selene has with a young girl named Eve isn't totally the focus either.

I mean, I guess we can give 'Awakening' a little credit for not continuing the bland romance between Michael & Selene, and giving her someone new to care about. But there's a way to write characters into the story without overwhelming each scene with blood and guts. Heck, it's also pretty hard to root for Selene considering she slaughters every human in sight. This film absolutely doubles down on the series' heavy genre aspects, instead of trying to usher in a broader audience.

Theo James & Charles Dance are brought in to essentially replace roles taken by Bill Nighy and Scott Speedman. Both actors give more grounded turns than the others did, but even they can't turn awful dialogue into something worth caring about. I'm not so sure Daniel Day-Lewis could even do it. Although the dialogue is still horrendous, the characters are still shallow, and the plot continues to get more ridiculously contrived, these films can be entertaining. The action is better choreographed than any of the other films and at least the run-time is short, right?

+Action is amped up

+Performances are more grounded

-More blood & guts doesn't always mean the quality rises

-Characters are still hollow

5.3/10
½ January 14, 2017
1/13/2017: An ok movie. My least favorite of the series though. Beckinsale was great and the story was decent.
January 9, 2017
beastly movie, weighted a little less on the story side and more on the action side. cool to see a different aspect where humans are heavily involved after they find out about the two species. lots of amazing scenes and memorable parts (4 viewings)
January 9, 2017
I want the next movie already!! Hurry up!
January 7, 2017
it's not bad or good
January 6, 2017
3/5. It doesn't really feel like an Underworld film, but it is still fun. Though I do think it is the worst in the series.
½ January 6, 2017
The fourth entrance in the Underworld fanchise manages to be more boring despite more action and a somewhat interesting plot that never really rolled out in the way it should have (maybe just to make room for a sequel).
January 5, 2017
Following on from 'Evolution' we see both the lycan and vampire species under threat from humans after being hunted down to the brink of extinction.

You know what to expect here and boy do you get it in spades, slow motion high flying kills, double gun totting shooting, swishing blades, spurting blood and endless dumbass man fodder to thicken the brew. In short its exactly like the newer 'Resident Evil' films and you half expect Jovovich to pop up and take over. The super lycan serum which results in an uber lycan is pretty much the pinnacle of crapola in this franchise now, a total 'Resi Evil' idea type rip-off and it lowers the overall class of the whole series.

The plot isn't tooo bad, they manage to carry it on quite well and do a good job with keeping Corvin around despite Speedman not being involved, but the rest of the cast is pretty awful really. Charles Dance seems to be there only to provide a new Viktor type character and he clearly has difficulty speaking with his fangs in, he even tries some of Nighy's head movements. The rest of the supporting cast all come across as B-movie fare frankly, even previous vampire actor Rea can't help the cause.

The whole film feels very basic really. Some terrible CGI effects (worse than the previous films), bad greenscreen scenes, the lycans look like shaven rats, transformations are pretty dreadful looking, the 'vision' perspective looks crap and the young Eve looks like something outta 'Mortal Kombat'. Everything basically looks plastic and fake.

End of the day it does what it says on the tin and we all know what this film is about so I can't moan too much, but I just get the feeling they should of left it alone. They really have gone way way over the top with all the slow motion action sequences. The fact that Selene can kill endless lycans yet no one else can, just destroys your suspension of disbelief...even in this universe. Yes its an over the top fantasy flick but there is still a limit for any Mary Sue type characters, or there should be.

The thing is I can see this franchise really being completely milked into the depths of the 'straight to DVD' abyss. A shame as it is/was a half decent concept with some solid ideas and reasonable early entries. Alas this kind of W.S. Anderson-esque film making is becoming infuriating in a highly tacky way.
December 23, 2016
Bad = 2/5

While not completely terrible, it definitely doesn't stand up well to it's predecessors.
December 19, 2016
Pretty Cool movie... xD !!!
½ December 2, 2016
The best of the first four Underworld movies - great action and awesome brutalist buildings abound.
November 28, 2016
Kate Beckinsale regresa para protagonizar la saga de "Underworld", esta vez sin su co-protagonista Scott Speedman. En esta cuarta entrega, la guerrera vampira Selene (Beckinsale) despierta de una animación suspendida (a lo "Resident Evil") para enterarse que los humanos ya saben de los vampiros y los hombres lobo. El villano de turno es un perverso doctor protagonizado por Stephen Rea. Ultraviolenta, imbécil y sin vida.
November 17, 2016
Each successive installment seems to lose some luster: the transformations here are drawn out, and dare I say it?, lame. There are lots of action sequences, but the story doesn't move the overall mythos along much. Moving twelve years into the future, we now have a hybrid vampire/lycan born. She's said to be ultra-powerful. Might have been better if I'd been able to see it instead of just hear about it. Only gets a passing score for the return of the beautiful yet deadly Selene.
November 7, 2016
Selene is HOT!!!! Makes me want to believe in vampires and Lycans. A good follow-up to previous "Underworld" events... Too bad the series have ended....another follow-up would have been great!!!
November 3, 2016
very much action and entertaining on this fourth installment and want to watch the fifth one when it's out to watch it. plus 6th one planning to be made.
October 3, 2016
Once again, I feel like I should like the Underworld films more than I do. I love werewolves, I love vampires and I love Kate Beckinsales, plus the action sequences in Underworld: Awakening are pretty fun, but, overall, this movie just left me cold. It starts in the middle of a story and it ends in the middle of a story and there isn't much story in between. I just don't get it. Why don't I enjoy these movies?