Underworld: Awakening - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Underworld: Awakening Reviews

August 22, 2017
Love Selene ???? never disappoints
August 13, 2017
Underworld has Awaken! :)
August 13, 2017
Another round of aimless action is this supernatural adventure thriller series, featuring the lovely Beckinsale in another skin-tight catsuit.
July 31, 2017
I don't want to give any judgement on this movie, it would only be something like: "I liked it" so I just enumerate things I liked or not. The main theme and the atmosphere have been, unexpectedely, respected. There were battle-scenes everywhere, the special effects were really well done, the 3 meters tall lycan was superb and the 3D was nearly appreciable. These were the good points. Let's start now with what I didn't like. The story was trashy, the settings were weird (I didn't get used to them also after one hour of movie), The main character seemed strange and completely different from the one we were used to. Eve more than a hybrid seemed Samara from The Ring and the ending sentence used to keep a line of continuity with the first two movies was put there just because they had to. Anyway, I'm already waiting for the next sequel, and Kate Beckinsale it's always amazing to watch, when she wears Selene's dresses!
July 9, 2017
Hope to see the new one at some point.
½ July 7, 2017
Underworld: Awakening feels more like a video game than a film. But worse than that, it feel derivative. Rather than try and push the franchise into interesting new territory it seems content to tread though the same murky waters as the previous installments.
June 29, 2017
Very different from the first three movies, this one isn't as dark and takes place more In public setting. The best one yet
June 17, 2017
ELINE SILAH YAKISAN HOLLYWOOD TA 3 TANE KADIN VAR: ANGELINA JOLIE - MILA JOVOVICH VE KATE BECKINSALE ;))) Film cok iyiydi ama cok kisaydi ...
½ May 20, 2017
LBAD, and still more fun
½ March 19, 2017
How not to make a movie: Lesson 1
½ February 26, 2017
Under World Awakening is the follow up film to Under World World Evolution and is the worst of the franchises 5 films. Kate Beckinsale is good in the role as usual and altho they basically gutted her character with some of the most atrocious writing. The other cast members are a hit or miss. I also "appreciate" (not really) the film having Micheal Corvin sit this one out seeing as he's one of the most boring protagonists in the franchise altho this is basically the last you ever see of him in this franchise so it's big middle finger to long time fans. The story itself I found to be the least bit interesting and felt like some generic video game story line as well as a generic plot that plenty of other god awful movies have told as well as it shits all over the mythos that the previous films set up basically discarding them into the dump because the film writers here aren't very good at their jobs. This movie is also notable for wasting really great actors by having them do nothing. This film seems to have taken a major hit when it comes to special effects because the CGI for the Lycans is the worst it's ever been. Also I don't know what the hell that sorry excuse of a "Werewolf" that was towards the middle to the end but that huge muscular seal looking beast is a complete ugly abomination. Just a terrible werewolf design with horrendous CGI. This is about as far away from a werewolf this series has reached basically making them shape shifters more so then they used to be. This is basically more of the same but worse so if you like this franchise you'll probably hate this movie because it shits all over the previous films but if you hate them or expect decent film making then you won't find much enjoyment from this film or at all. Overall .5/5
jamrcla
February 11, 2017
Just as good as the others, Maybe more action oriented than anything as there's very little plot and what story there was is very predictable, But it has some great gory action scenes as we expect in a Underworld movie, The effects were good most of the time, I can't comment on the 3D as I watched the 2D version, It won't be winning any new viewers over but fans of the older entries will love it just as much, Let's hope they don't get too silly with things as it has set itself up for a fifth movie and Keeping things fresh and interesting may prove harder.
January 25, 2017
December 31st 2012
July 18th 2014
January 25th 2017
½ January 18, 2017
Upping the scale doesn't always mean a better film. 'Awakening' finds Underworld at its bloodiest and perhaps most action packed, but there's once again little under the surface of a vampire-action flick.

At this point in the franchise, you pretty much know what you're going to get. Selene leads the war against anyone who opposes their kind. This time, however, it's humans who are on the opposite end of the stick. This premise felt a lot like when the old Planet of the Apes franchise ran out of ideas so they made a time jump and brought the humans in as the antagonists. In fact, it touches on a lot of the same social issues that 'Escape from the Planet of the Apes' did, experimentation on creatures for one. The problem is, it's only touched upon. Just like the new relationship Selene has with a young girl named Eve isn't totally the focus either.

I mean, I guess we can give 'Awakening' a little credit for not continuing the bland romance between Michael & Selene, and giving her someone new to care about. But there's a way to write characters into the story without overwhelming each scene with blood and guts. Heck, it's also pretty hard to root for Selene considering she slaughters every human in sight. This film absolutely doubles down on the series' heavy genre aspects, instead of trying to usher in a broader audience.

Theo James & Charles Dance are brought in to essentially replace roles taken by Bill Nighy and Scott Speedman. Both actors give more grounded turns than the others did, but even they can't turn awful dialogue into something worth caring about. I'm not so sure Daniel Day-Lewis could even do it. Although the dialogue is still horrendous, the characters are still shallow, and the plot continues to get more ridiculously contrived, these films can be entertaining. The action is better choreographed than any of the other films and at least the run-time is short, right?

+Action is amped up

+Performances are more grounded

-More blood & guts doesn't always mean the quality rises

-Characters are still hollow

5.3/10
½ January 14, 2017
1/13/2017: An ok movie. My least favorite of the series though. Beckinsale was great and the story was decent.
January 9, 2017
beastly movie, weighted a little less on the story side and more on the action side. cool to see a different aspect where humans are heavily involved after they find out about the two species. lots of amazing scenes and memorable parts (4 viewings)
January 9, 2017
I want the next movie already!! Hurry up!
January 7, 2017
it's not bad or good
January 6, 2017
3/5. It doesn't really feel like an Underworld film, but it is still fun. Though I do think it is the worst in the series.
½ January 6, 2017
The fourth entrance in the Underworld fanchise manages to be more boring despite more action and a somewhat interesting plot that never really rolled out in the way it should have (maybe just to make room for a sequel).