Vice Squad Reviews

½ June 12, 2008
It's pretty solid.
Wings Hauser is something else, as an crazy bad redneck pimp-wannabe.
February 22, 2008
Ramrod rules. Also the movie is a great grindhouse treat. Gary Sherman does a great job with this sleazy film which I remember being horrified by a clip of on Terror in the Aisles. Go Ramrod go!
January 11, 2012
Season Hubley shines as a hooker who helps the cops arrest Wings Hauser, AKA Ramrod, the cruelest pimp you could possibly imagine. What feels a bit off is how the film takes the time to drag us through the dregs of LA nightlife, following Hubley around while Ramrod has time to escape police custody and go in search of revenge.

Nicely sleazy and well worth your time.

Recommended.
½ June 19, 2009
How could you not like a cop movie that has a psycho pimp named Ramrod and a hooker named Princess? It just begs to be watched. It's pretty darn good too. Violent and graphic in many ways. Suspenseful and thrilling in others. I thoroughly enjoyed it and highly recommend it.
September 23, 2008
B-movie. Liked this one. Movie about a crazy psycho-path that likes to perform vaginal mutilation on prostitutes.
½ August 12, 2008
When I first saw this movie thought it was brutal, I guess when it first came out at those times this was considered brutal, but times have changed and this movie is very tamed now compared to others, it is a good movie.
½ March 1, 2008
Engaging cop film where you just love to hate the bad guy. "Neon Slime" will be in your head for days after this.
January 23, 2008
Violent movie for its time but great film. Wings Hauser plays one sick character and has alot of fight to the end. If you like the cop getting the bad guy in the end....Your gonna love this.
½ June 7, 2007
this is suprisingly a very good movie1 i enjoyed it thoroughly1 it had terrible make-up effects but i love them hoes!
February 9, 2007
A cool film about the night life of Los Angeles that is full of pimps, hookers, and killers. Wings Hauser plays a killer pimp named Ramrod, who is a killer. The police must stop him before he tries to kill a prostitute who helped with a sting to arrest Ramrod. A classic 1982 film that has great action.
September 12, 2013
One of my favorites, Wings Hauser is awesome in this
January 29, 2013
Add a Review (Optional)
January 17, 2013
Sexploitation cult flick that's dull, sleazy and violent. Seems like a B-film despite given the A-film big budget treatment.
November 21, 2012
While this is sleazy and grimy beyond belief, it's also an amazing thriller. Wings Hauser as Ramrod, a psychotic pimp just blows me away.
July 16, 2012
Lars Nilsen said Wings Hauser was pulling some incredible workdays while making this movie at night and also filming the young and the restless during the day. Good stuff, check it out.
January 15, 2012
You hurt me bad, Ramrod

A new police unit responsible for reducing prostitution and bringing down pimps has been plagued by a new relentless pimp named Ramrod. He not only beats and slashes women, he often kills them. The police force relies on a business woman, turned prostitute to support her child, to help bring down the vaunted Ramrod.

"There are two days a week I don't worry about, yesterday and tomorrow."

Gary Sherman, director of Raw Meat, Dead & Buried, Wanted: Dead or Alive, Poltergeist III, and Lisa, delivers Vice Squad. The storyline for this picture is just okay in terms of its premise and the quality of the action scenes; however, you do want to see the resolve of the picture and the ending is worthwhile. The acting is just average and the cast includes Season Hubley, Wings Hauser, Pepe Serna, and Beverly Todd.

"I could be a cop, couldn't I?"
"And I could be a virgin."

Vice Squad was a movie my wife came across while flicking through the channels and decided to DVR. We generally enjoy those 70s/early 80s pictures that have a new school grindhouse feel. This movie was definitely fascinating and worthwhile; although, the action scenes were terrible and a bit ridiculous. I recommend watching this picture if you're a fan of early 80s action films that don't take themselves too seriously.

"I will set your ass on fire."

Grade: C+
½ September 18, 2011
Pretty intense film. Which is pretty impressive when you realize. How much is implied as opposed to laid right out
July 24, 2010
A HUGE 100 % (ONE HUNDRED PERCENT)!!!!!

WINGS Hauser plays Ramrod a coked-up pimp who beats-up his hookers and rams pimp-sticks into them!!!!

it is Freaked-Out!!!!!

they never make movies this Frenetic These Days.
. . . I think they censored my earlier review . . . I'll leave it up though:
. . . and this review of mine disappeared too (CENSORED).
I THOUGHT censorship was uncool.

Hip dudes like Bill Maher and George Carlin despise censorship.

The censored version . . . (booo).
(when someone takes down your review and makes it appear like you never wrote the review in the first place it?s a tell-tale sign you?ve been censored. (remember the disclaimer: any objectionable material may be deleted without notice).
WINGS HAUSER IS RAMROD!!!!!! Ramrod is a COKED-UP pimp who murders prostitutes and police-officers throughout the entire 90+ minutes of this AWESOME, HYPED-UP ?urban-Hell Movie;? yet, never once do you ever see Ramrod actually Snort Coke though.

You-know RAMROD actually seems like he was on PCP (Phencyclidine) throughout the film. PCP (aka Angel Dust) eliminates the ?feeling? or ?conscience? parts of the brain and people on Angel Dust Do Anything with no remorse; PCP appears to affect the frontal lobe of the brain that ?mediates? emotion.

Wings Hauser is (like, one of the) THE BEST ACTOR (S) in ?these-movies,? he is ON FIRE throughout the whole movie.

NEON SLIME sung by WINGS HAUSER over VICE SQUAD?S opening and closing credits.
November 15, 2010
Terribly outdated, uninteresting, and poorly acted. Though I like the premise of showing a (mostly) true, gritty story of the Hollywood Vice Squad, I thought it was presented poorly here. Look elsewhere and skip this dud.
October 23, 2010
I'm something of an amateur devotee of low budget, grindhouse films. From flicks of the 60's to the present, I've seen my fair share. However, "Vice Squad" is one that will probably always standout to me, both in good ways and bad.

The basic plot is that a prostitute named "Princess" (played by Season Hubley) helps a seasoned vice cop (played by Gary Swanson) to take down a violent and deranged pimp named "Ramrod" (played by Wings Hauser), after he kills another prostitute friend of her's (played by Nina Blackwood), but soon becomes the target of the pimp's homicidal rage, after he escapes custody. Now the race is on between the vice squad and Ramrod, as to who will get to Princess first!

The film is certainly not for the faint of heart, or those who easily offend. No punches are pulled in the violence and degradation that is shown. It has a sort of gritty realism to it, but it doesn't quite make it over the hump to where you totally buy it. This is due to the stretching of credibility in some key moments. I mean, would an entire vice squad really go all out to find a single prostitute, even if her life were in danger? No, probably not. One cop, maybe two, but not the whole squad. And the violent pimp, who seems to constantly flip from calm to psychopathic at the drop of hat, would he really be able to intimidate all the hard players of this underbelly of civilized society? Again, probably not. So, when such instances happen, it takes you out of the moment and costs the film a lot of the dramatic tension it's trying to build.

Director Gary Sherman certainly does a nice job of portraying the seedier side of the big city (in this case Hollywood), as the grunge and sleaze of society's "forgotten people" is well displayed almost constantly. Sadly, though, there is little shown to us beneath that grimy surface. You never get into the minds of any of the players. You get a brief scene with Princess sending her daughter away, to show she has a softer side, but you never get much context on it. Even worse is Gary Swanson's play at the vice cop who gives a damn. Besides a very wooden performance, you never really get any insight into his reasons for being a vice cop. As he is asked at the film's end, "Why do you do it, Walsh? The streets are never going to change." The question is never answered, either to the character in the film or the audience.

The one solid bit here, is Wings Hauser's turn as the ultra-violent Ramrod. He plays it up for all he's worth here. He is certainly one of the perennial heavies of the 80's, both in film and television, but he steps things up a notch here, going from mean to downright brutal. His use of a coat hanger to whip up on prostitutes, shows a level of darkness that goes beyond ordinary misogyny. While most of the other actors just sort of plod along in their roles, Wings uses his to be a force of nature in the story, which is where most of the drama and action stems from.

The film is certainly not what one would call "classic," either in the award-winning sense or otherwise, but despite it's many flaws, it still manages to hold your attention and stick with you long after you've watched it. Whether that is due to it having that special 80's vibe, that made many less-than-stellar films give you that sensation, or merely the fact you can't look away from the sometimes over-the-top slimy nature of it all, I can't say for sure. All I can say is that, for good or ill, this is one film you won't soon forget.