Vice Squad Reviews

• Jan 09, 2020

Pretty awesome, sleazy little B-movie, about a douchebag pimp who tries to carve up a prostitute that turned him in. It's a surprisingly effective cat and mouse game, even if it's a bit implausible. Swanson is really interesting as the cop who's trying to catch the scumbag. It's too bad he didn't have a bigger career, he makes a really engaging leading man.

• Dec 04, 2019

Vice Squad is about a violent pimp who brutalizes his prostitutes, which seems illogical since they are his source of income, but it’s a movie! Meanwhile a determined police detective seeks to track him down before he hurts or potentially kills another woman. Season Hubley, an actress I’ve never heard of, plays the prostitute that has been targeted because she is willing to testify against the rogue pimp. Her performance is about average, and any time she’s supposedly dealing with a “John” it felt cold and sterile, as if she was terrible at her job. I struggled to establish the history of this character anyways, because at first it seemed she was nothing more than a soccer mom, then we establish that she has a past on the street, and after one phone call of desperation from a friend she goes back to the street. I needed to understand her thought process a little more, and if this was something she never stopped, or was reluctantly returning to out of necessity. The reason for the return was also somewhat lost on me. But she was fine as the damsel-in-distress that she is forced to play most of the run-time. In truth, Vice Squad is really just the tale of two performances. On the one hand, we have Gary Swanson as the police detective from the vice squad. He is flat and bland from the first scene on. I found his performance so wooden that it made the investigation almost seem boring. In fact, I kept getting him confused with the extras in the scenes because he did not stand out from the pack at all. On the other hand, Wings Hauser is playing the most comically diabolical character I’ve seen in ages. This guy chews up the scenery like Jaws. This is what made the film engaging for me. Vice Squad is not a good movie, but it is oddly enjoyable because it has Hauser hamming it up in every one of his scenes. When the big chase began I was fully engaged, and wondered how Lame Cop would track down Psycho Pimp in time. There are some comically bad scenes in the film as well, and several of them felt wildly out of place. In the middle of the climax the entire movie halts for some insane fetishist who hires the leading lady to fulfill his bonkers fantasy. I am far from calling Vice Squad a good movie, yet it was strangely interesting and held my attention from start to finish, so I guess it was OK.

• Aug 15, 2016

Vice Squad is a gloriously nasty little bit of filthy early eighties sleaze, a lean, squalid vicious neon noir crime thriller. Concerning a prostitute trying to survive a night on the job being hunted down by the brilliant named and utterly terrifying psychopathic pimp Ramrod (played by the possibly even more brilliantly named Wings Hauser, who also supply's the movie's great opening rock tune "Neon Slime") Ramrod is the real standout element here, easily one of the best screen villains ever, an almost impossibly horrible, slimy, brutal, feral monster who is completely mesmerizing thanks to Hauser's fantastic and full on, raw performance. Season Hubley too is really good as luckless prostitute Princess. There's just this great grubby vibe to this film, it feels a bit unsafe and dirty, especially viewing it on VHS (this movie is either really hard to get on dvd or extortionate in price if you can) which adds to the un-glossy, grindhouse aesthetic. A hard edged, willfully unpleasant and thrillingly suspenseful gem of 80's trash cinema.

• May 22, 2016

I was considering a life of prostitution up until I saw this movie. My boy Ramrod (Wings Hauser) has a strong pimp hand, pimp foot, pimp blade, and pimp gun for that matter. His portrayal is one of the more frightening and believable to this day for me. His first hooker/victim gets her head legitimately slammed against a wall so many times I was waiting for her to tap out or go limp. Then it is simply left up to the imagination to guess all the ways Ramrod uses a coat hanger to basically finish her off. Is fetishy a word? Cause if its not crazy ass pimps, its fetishy ass johns and I must say, people in Hollywood have too much money. One of the strangest scenes comes when old man limp dick comes raising out of a coffin like a mummy. Friend of Hooker #1, lets call her hooker #2 (played by Season Hubley) is that super tough as shit kinda hot and ready to do anything to stay out of jail and help get revenge. But no one, and he is pretty sincere when he says it, NO ONE..... MESSES...... WITH..... RAMROD!

• Aug 17, 2015

A trashy 80s film about a vengeful pimp after a protagonist prostitute. The pimp was a pretty good character but the rest were pretty flat. Mediocre overall plot but a lot of interesting gritty LA locations

• Feb 01, 2015

I went into Vice Squad expecting a glorified exploitation film of crime, objectified nudity, and just about the same sort of dirty tropes of the genre. While it may have the feel of something like The Exterminator, the film seems fairly honest and doesn't attempt to necessarily expose or glorify anything and exposes whatever is necessary. The film deals with a police unit with a usual tough job of handling crime on the heavily prostituted and crime ridden streets of 80's Los Angeles, and does it well. After a mother prostitute loses a close friend to a psycho named Ramrod, she is used by the police to lure him in and bust him. Unfortunately, Ramrod busts away from the police and is now after the woman. What the film deals with is the idea that the prostitution underworld is dirty, yet filled with women who are simply making a needed living. When the business involves dealing with strangers, you're also putting your life at risk each time you hop into a car with a male. Who do you trust to be a fair customer or a sadistic psycho? It's that lesson that's expressed in all the trouble that the pimps and prostitutes deal with in the film, and despite the police's efforts to stop this crime, a very line is uttered at the end of the film to the cop: "I don't know why you keep doing it. You're never going to change the streets." That's crime in general. Sometimes there's problems that will escalate and not go away so easily, sometimes made worse with police interfering, but someone's gotta try, don't they? The police do their job because if no one tries to control crime, crime would spread, and they have to do what they can. Vice Squad may still feel a bit sleazy, and disturbing, but it's not a trashy film, the actors are okay and and the intent of the film is made apparent and well. It's still pretty low-brow, but it deserves more credit than it deserves. It's hardly as relevant now perhaps in its time period, so one must watch this now for its intent and to place themselves in the 80's if you are to make this worth your time.

• Sep 12, 2013

One of my favorites, Wings Hauser is awesome in this

One of my favorites, Wings Hauser is awesome in this

• Jan 17, 2013

Sexploitation cult flick that's dull, sleazy and violent. Seems like a B-film despite given the A-film big budget treatment.

• Nov 21, 2012

While this is sleazy and grimy beyond belief, it's also an amazing thriller. Wings Hauser as Ramrod, a psychotic pimp just blows me away.

• Jul 16, 2012

Lars Nilsen said Wings Hauser was pulling some incredible workdays while making this movie at night and also filming the young and the restless during the day. Good stuff, check it out.