We Need to Talk About Kevin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Need to Talk About Kevin Reviews

July 24, 2016
It took two hours for them to show me what I knew in the first 10 minutes. Loved the soundtrack and the cinematography but the pacing was way off.
July 19, 2016
Well made, but completely in the shadow of the bloody great source material.
July 12, 2016
A modern day, cerebral version of The Omen, essentially. It's a study into the mind of a psychopathic school shooter, told from the perspective of the mother. Troubled youths at home have been tackled in films before, but this is an exceptional piece. It's entirely uncomfortable in every aspect, to the point where some of it is just unbearable and dull. Tilda Swinton's performance is stirring.
July 12, 2016
Considering I had never watched the trailer it certainly did surprise me regarding the plot.
Another 'art' film where less is more in terms of visual aesthetic but it works well juxtaposed with such a bittersweet, strong yet characteristically weak protagonist (Swinton).

However, at times, it felt almost unbelievable at that was due to such an extreme child character. This would be understandable if Swintons character or the father treated the child different. However, with medically nothing wrong with the child, for him to grow up which such a persona seemed unrealistic.

A great performance by all, just a little too much on the 'more' and not enough on the 'less'.
July 8, 2016
That's what boys do.

Eva and Franklin have a unique little boy, Kevin, who is especially disobedient with his mother but extremely easy going with his dad. This behavior has been observed since birth and the father doesn't take her feedback too seriously. As the boy gets older, Eva gets pregnant with a little girl. The son's behavior gets even more intense as the sister grows older and older.

"You don't look happy."
"Have I ever?"

Lynne Ramsay, director of Ratcatcher, Morvern Callar, and the upcoming You Were Never Really Here, delivers We need to Talk about Kevin. The storyline for this picture is fascinating in a Carrie kind of way. The writing and delivery is perfect and the conclusion is compelling. The cast delivers outstanding performances and includes Tilda Swinton, John C. Reilly, and Ezra Miller.

"Is this about fucking?"

I came across this on Netflix and randomly decided to add it to my queue. The content is remarkably original with a slightly unoriginal ending, but the conclusion is worthwhile and well done. This is a surprisingly perfectly executed picture that is intense and worthwhile. I strongly recommend seeing this.

"I'll take them as they are."

Grade: A
½ June 7, 2016
Psychologically it blends drama, and horror with top notch performances.
June 6, 2016
wow; this totally makes me not want to have kids, haha. what an awful awful boy. i feel like the story is more about the mom than the boy -- that kid wouldn't have gotten away so easy if i was his mother. yikes. she had some issues herself i think. but also her husband was completely oblivious and wouldn't listen which also didn't help i guess. idk -- it's an interesting story. i quite liked it. even though it kind of gives you an emotional complex.
½ June 6, 2016
The actors and actresses did a good job with their parts. However, it's extremely slow and stays that way throughout the entire movie. It's also incredibly disjointed. I am shocked that so many people gave this movie a great review. It's okay, but it's not great by any means.
½ May 27, 2016
Harrowing drama (oh let's call it what it really is, a horror movie) that is the perfect antidote for anyone's ticking biological clock. With all due respect to Miller (who's got some excellent performances under his belt), Teenage Kevin just comes off as a surly brat; but the earlier iterations carry a quiet malevolence that is the stuff of nightmares. Really, it's Swinton's show all the way, with her intense and nuanced portrait of a shattered psyche in the aftermath of soul-crushing tragedy.
May 14, 2016
To call We Need to Talk About Kevin disturbing would be something of an understatement. Nary a moment goes by in the film's two hour running time that doesn't carry an unsettling aura of despair, but it speaks to the craft of Lynne Ramsay's direction and her dedicated cast. Told in a non-linear format, the film sublimely unravels the doomed fates of it's characters, and it results in what is arguably the first truly effective film about a Columbine-esque scenario. It's fortunate that not every movie is as brutal as this one, but We Need to Talk About Kevin earns its right to tackle such content.
April 30, 2016
As cryptic as it is disturbing. And frustrating. Not necessarily in the best way. The first 30 minutes were nothing but randomly cut scene that force the audience to rely on themselves for any touch of understanding. And when the story became complicated at all, it fell back on it. Filler. Frustrating. The story was a good one, but assembled oddly and at times even singular -- so much so you find yourself saying "get on with it, already."
½ April 30, 2016
We Need to Talk About Kevin is perhaps the most terrifying and
spine-chilling movie I have ever seen.
From the very first scene this movie places a load on your chest that you won't be able to take off even after the end.
The cinematography is amazing and the whole film is beautifully directed, and what an amazing performance from Tilda Swinton.
April 27, 2016
Apart from being thrown in the deep end of sporadic timeline jumps at the start, Tilda Swinton and Ezra Miller work together with disturbing beauty in their estranged mother/son relationship, while director Lynne Ramsay drops effective clues on why they need to talk about Kevin (more red than The Red Wedding). Tension is potent and the psyche empathises with Swinton's Eva, but would the story have benefitted from Kevin telling it? Or have we seen that too much already?
½ April 18, 2016
"We Need to Talk About Kevin" is an unsettling, true-to-life psychological thriller featuring a career-defining performance from Swinton. If only we could say a little more about Kevin, or, at least, more than "He doesn't seem all that realistic, even for a serial killer."
March 28, 2016
Lynne Ramsay's bone-shaking adaptation of Lionel Shriver's novel explores the erupting nuances of a nightmare motherhood.
Ramsay's film is a scene-by-scene slow burner, equally poetic as it is perturbing.
Loaded with ominous imagery and brittle exchanges, We Need to Talk About Kevin wallows in frustration, blurring the boundaries between realist drama and psychological horror, with Tilda Swinton's anguished mother struggling to hold the helm.
Swinton is terrific, but problem child Kevin misses out on some much-needed character exploration, as Ramsay leaves Swinton and viewers alike cowering in fear over a misguided menace they'll never understand. Keep well away if you're pregnant, or thinking of having kids.
March 22, 2016
A new mother has problems raising her son. The problems continue into his teen years when it's apparent he is displaying sociopathic behavior. Good performances and credible editing make this watchable, but the script teases us with one too many flashback sequences. Overall, a good film, bordering on great as it attempts to tackle a serious issue about the American youths in the 21st century. 6.5/10
March 1, 2016
Spawns of evil really do exists. one could only think what one would do in a similar situation. Frightening prospect.
½ February 28, 2016
An effective drama about a mother and her clever, but evil son. Great acting from the three actors, especially Tilda Swinton
½ February 28, 2016
this movie is about nothing and goes nowhere. what a piece of shit kid