We Need to Talk About Kevin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Need to Talk About Kevin Reviews

December 4, 2016
How do you define a parenting failure!

The film was based on the book of the same name, directed by a Scottish director. A psychological thriller, one of those what some people feel uncomfortable watching it. The film holds a suspense from the past event, it is not going to be revealed until the final quarter. Till then makes us to keep guessing it. Followed by the pieces of flashback, the story of a mother who struggled to raise his first born, a boy named Kevin was told.

It takes us to show how happy she was before. Once she got pregnant, everything changed in her life forever. She failed to understand her son. Ever since he was a baby, he had given her a lot of trouble. When he reaches his teenage, it becomes even more complication to her to handle him and events around him. But a big blow is what shocks the entire neighbourhood and her life turns a hell.

Shot within a month. Tilda Swinton's one of the best, maybe the best of all the bests. She should have been nominated for the Oscars. I think that's one of the greatest snub ever. The supporting cast was amazing too, including John C. Reilly in a small part and particularly those Kevins from different ages. The overall tone was great, the atmosphere was created perfectly to the kind of story it dealt.

I should have watched it earlier, but you know the type of film we look for and moods, all some times influence to miss a film narrowly. Anyway, it was on my watch list and I am finally going to scratch that off. It was a good film, but there's nothing special. The theme was strong, and seems like straight out of a real event, particularly these things are common in the United States. So if you are an American or familiar with the American culture, it will interest you.

This is not as inspiring film, but kind of factual film like parenting failure. The end was disturbing, yet there's nothing bold revelation in the narration. Definitely an interesting take, though blaming parents, especially the mother was kind of disappointing, as well as depressing. That's why the tale was commenced since pregnant till the final twist. Actually, it was the editing tricks that make the film to have a twist. Otherwise, it is a straightforward story. Not bad for viewing once. It was slow and too long, if you think you can manage that, then you could try it.

6/10
November 27, 2016
Seen this movie. One of the greatest psychological thrillers I've seen.
½ November 20, 2016
Visceral and unnerving. That's what I would call this movie. From the beginning Lynne Ramsay makes you want to know what the hell is going on. For me, I was all in at the twelve minute mark. You always have a clear understanding what the protagonist is thinking (portrayed incredibly by Tilda Swindon) but you really want to know why. It's uncomfortable the whole way through and Tilda's character is has so much to feel miserable about. But the film isn't depressing, most likely due to its mystery framework. Ezra miller and the younger actors are terrifying. Also, it had to be noted the wonderful use of primary colors, especially red. Such a good film.
November 15, 2016
I'm not gonna try sound super educated about films or use metaphors and references from a long history of literature study. I'm just gonna give my opinion. So bear with me if you disagree.

Firstly I found the cinematography contrived at the start, self indulgent perhaps. We aren't shown what the character is feeling. Just shown a feeling. Also, the blood motif really starts getting old quite early in. But most disturbingly is how disturbed Kevin is from the start. He's clearly evil from age 5 and no one's really bothered about the reasons why. A hearing specialist seems to think he' so i guess he must be. Kids arent born evil, there are reasons why they do what they do, genetic or otherwise. And it doesn't seem to run in the family because Lucy is an absolute angel. What are Kevin's influences? A violent video game and Robin hood? Surely there were a few more books he read or movies he watched to push him to the point of mass murder. It like it was just sort of game. It really didn't sell.

In my skewed opinion Ursula delivers a better performance than Tilda. Oh and why John C Riley? He hardly suits the role. His performance isn't bad. It's just weird seeing him trying to be serious. Also young Kevin doesn't convince as he seems to have some Asian blood in him which neither John nor Tilda seem to share.

I guess I'm not as concerned story as I am with characters. But it really bothers me how oversimplified the story is especially as it's about such a real epidemic that has hit the US so recently. Usually these kidsmare withdrawn, bullied, dealing with deep internal struggles. Kevin is just a psychopath through and through. His parents know it but just don't do anything about it. He shot his kid sister. He doesn't deserve that hug at the end. But perhaps that was just mom trying to make herself feel better because she kind of thinks it's her own fault. She's not entirely innocent.

If there's one truth this movie conveys, it's that bad parenting creates bad kids. But I guess it doesn't help if your child was born a psychopath.

Apologies for rant. I'm quite happy if you disagree ;)
November 9, 2016
Tilda Swinton sublime, suspenso y terror psicológico sobre el origen de la maldad
November 8, 2016
Americans are fascinated with criminals, and most films about them either focus on the criminal or on the people who are trying to catch them. With the recent uptake in school shootings, the one element that is often overlooked is the parents and what, if any, their role is in all of this. That is the focus of award winning film, We Need To Talk About Kevin. Kevin (Ezra Miller) has always been an angry, troubled kid, brought up by an upper middle class family. Kevin had a loving family, everything he could ever want, but still orchestrated a horrific mass shooting at his school. Despite all evidence to the contrary, his mother (Tilda Swinton) can't help but think that somehow everything is her fault, and by and large the community agrees. This is far and away one of the strongest performances I've ever seen Tilda Swinton give, and that's saying a lot, because she has always been terrific. Watching this was almost difficult, as one could actually feel her pain and see in her eyes the emotional toll everything had taken on her. She did nothing wrong, but everyone from the press to the owner of the local grocery store, blames her for the actions of her son. The film flashes between before, during, and after the event to show the differences in the lives and personalities of the characters, in a way that I've never seen before, it was really ingenious. This film delves deeper into the heart of darkness and into the eyes of the unseen victims in one of the most powerful films I've seen in years. We Need To Talk About Kevin may even be too emotionally overwhelming for some, but by in large it is one of the hardest hitting and most realistic dramas you may ever find.
October 20, 2016
I thought I wanted kids until I saw this film
½ October 13, 2016
This is a hard film to watch. But I highly recommend it. Took off a star and a half because it depressed me.
½ September 28, 2016
The movie that introduced me to Ezra Miller. It's such a deep and disturbing movie, with amazing acting.Tilda is the real protagonist here and she is flawless, portraying a frustrated and lonely mother, and so is Ezra with the unnerving and unforgetable Kevin. We Need to Talk About Kevin is definitively a haunting work.
September 24, 2016
4/5

We Need To Talk About Kevin provides a slow burning and intense tale of psychopathy in a very unconventional way that makes the whole experience not as trascendental as it would want but very shocking and heartfelt nonetheless.
September 19, 2016
disturbing, intense, beautiful. feels like one of more accesible haneke films. a masterpiece.
September 15, 2016
Kevin is one little shit...
September 8, 2016
In this movie you witness such great acting by Tilda Swinton; as a difficult relationship between a mother and her son has led to a tragic and unexpected event.
½ September 6, 2016
Explores the factious relationship between a mother and her son. Tilda Swinton plays the mother, Eva, as she contends for 15 years with the increasing malevolence of her first-born child, Kevin (Ezra Miller).
September 1, 2016
Tragic story of a rather introverted woman who doesn't know quite how to raise her troubled child, then has to live in the aftermath of the horror he leaves behind. Excellently performed by all the leads.
August 29, 2016
Tilda rules the movie, the movie itself isnt bad, although its kinda slow paced. Tilda swinton deserves a 10 stars tho!
½ August 27, 2016
We Need to Talk About Kevin is perhaps the most terrifying and
spine-chilling movie I have ever seen.
From the very first scene this movie places a load on your chest that you won't be able to take off even after the end.
The cinematography is amazing and the whole film is beautifully directed, and what an amazing performance from Tilda Swinton.
½ August 23, 2016
Deeply disturbing and utterly engaging.

Not one I can really see myself watching again. But I'm very glad to have watched it the once. Superbly cast and acted. Brilliant photographed and amazing direction. Not to be missed for those who can handle the subject matter.
August 6, 2016
This is an incredibly chilling and well put together film. It's very well cast with the children who play Kevin at various ages each playing their part perfectly. Tilda Swinton really fulfils her role as the distraught mother having to deal with a disturbed child.
By far one of the best thrillers I've seen in recent years. It's a film that really plays on your mind, which I think was the directors intention.
August 5, 2016
Bloody hell, this was a tough watch! Probably best avoided if you're thinking about having kids soon!