We Need to Talk About Kevin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Need to Talk About Kevin Reviews

April 13, 2018
A deeply disappointing adaptation of one of my most beloved novels, despite Swinton's wonderful performance and Lynne Raymsey's delicious style. The films fractured style and excisions of some of the most crucial elements prevent it from being as devastating as its source material. . Simply not the powerful masterpiece it could have been. Still worth a watch, but I suggest you read the book.
March 30, 2018
Didn't strike me as at all realistic. No child is born and behaves their whole life that psychotic, they're more likely to have episodes. The whole thing felt too contrived and so I was really bored of it. Any kid who was that much of a jerk would be kicked out the house quickly.
March 22, 2018
I know it's a bit cliched but this is another book which is almost ruined as a movie.
The best point about the book was that it released vital information at different stages. you didn't know about the daughter until half way through. You always thought that the wife was writing letters to a divorced husband. Here they give you all the information at the beginning of the film and it tries to replace it with artistic time jumping and eerie music. The angst between the couple just doesn't work well here and you get vague mentions of the mothers work of owning her own travel book company that creates the distance between her and loving her family.
I recommend the book very strongly, but read the book before watching the movie or, like this movie did, it will ruin the best parts of the book in that it keeps surprising you as you go along.
March 10, 2018
Really hated this film. Which squanders the key opportunity to provide a compelling film, with psychological questions. They'd restructured the narrative of the book, in a crude and cynical way, leaving what boils down to a dull suspense drama. So all that you're left with within the films overlong running time is "so what did Kevin end up doing?". The tragedy of this film is the cold lack of responsibility for asking the most basic psychological questions.

Any success and watchability that the movie has, rests wholly upon Swintons fine performance. Ridiculously, Ramsey seems to be solely interested in the nature of the Eva's (the mothers) thoughts. Meaningless shots of her scraping paint off the walls of her house, and walking down corridors, which the filmmaker imagines have some meaning for the audience, just leave it cold. As a result, the film leaves you feeling depressed. But not depressed about Kevin.
February 15, 2018
Extremely slow and sometimes boring. It's not scary... it's a drama. Tilda Swinton does great in the lead role, as usual. I feel as though this movie could've been made with a runtime less than an hour to be more effective.
January 20, 2018
Waste of time and bad acting in dull script.
December 5, 2017
That kid is definitely a red flag creepy little sociopath. He frightened me so much, I hope I never see his face again. Unless he's wearing a mask. Make it red.

I get excited about and really enjoy films that don't pull their punches and give me a glossy take on a devastatingly emotional topic.
November 23, 2017
Interesting especially in today's time. The nature v. nurture aspect is visceral.
October 30, 2017
Several people have watched this movie and commented that they feel it is unsettling (and perhaps a bit divisive) that no clear reason is given in the flashbacks of Kevin's upbringing for his actions at the end. Kevin claims not to know why he did what he did at the end of the movie. Yet, the quote from the film, which "Tomatoes" published below sums it up perfectly for me:

"Kevin: It's like this: you wake and watch TV, get in your car and listen to the radio you go to your little jobs or little school, but you don't hear about that on the 6 o'clock news, why? 'Cause nothing is really happening, and you go home and watch some more TV and maybe it's a fun night and you go out and watch a movie. I mean it's got so bad that half the people on TV, inside the TV, they're watching TV. What are these people watching, people like me? "

Oddly, I watched "Kevin" immediately after watching an episode of the science/psychology show "Brain Games". The episode had to do with lying: Why we lie and when we start lying. It turns out that infants will cry and fuss as if they need something when actually all they crave is attention. Hence, they are lying.

What we see in Kevin is an obsessive need of attention from the time he is an infant on. He doesn't want to watch TV he wants to be the person who is watched.

Yes, this movie is a terrible downer--does not leave you "humming the songs" afterward. I question whether Kevin's mother would be so universally hated for what happened. She is a victim too. I feel that the hate toward her is overplayed.

Still, the acting is great(!) and the writing and editing are purposeful and tight. It takes a little to get used to the cuts between "now" and "flashbacks". This helps to give insight into the Mother's state of mind.

This movie is haunting. If you like a film that leaves you thinking, not just about the film but about real-life events and people, then I recommend that you watch it.
½ October 9, 2017
5.10.2017
A violência está nos detalhes, e esse filme mostra isso perfeitamente. É fascinante o modo como o filme aborda atos brutais sem precisar correr a imagens chocantes, nos deixando apenas especulando. A cor vermelha ganha um significado único neste filme, não apenas como violência, mas também como Kevin "possuindo o sangue" de sua mãe.
Meu único (e grande) problema com o filme é quando Kevin é apenas um bebê/criança muito pequena; neste trecho, algumas coisas ocorrem sem nenhuma explicação palpável.
½ September 27, 2017
This movie is disturbing. It made me feel creeped out and angry almost the whole way through, and all though it took some time to get going, when it did, it was quite good. The three boys that played Kevin throughout the years were masterfully cast. And Tilda Swinton was phenomenal. Definitely not an easy film to watch.
½ September 1, 2017
The sign were all there. This kid is crazy, weird, and a psycho. John C Reilly needs to open his eyes. As clear as that all is, it's even more clear how great performances by Tilda Swinton and Ezra Miller make this movie a hit. Would've gone to the theatres for this one.
½ August 31, 2017
Cluster fuck of a story
August 25, 2017
I liked this movied, but the thriller/artsy style it was shot in was painful at times. It moved slowly and I found myself wanting more information about certain aspects of the family's life.
½ August 20, 2017
An ordeal to get through. Start to finish a dull and grating movie/
August 17, 2017
it's dreamlike, but the subject matter is so disturbing and dark, that it ends up feeling like a nightmare. an insane trip for sure, but not one that i'd like to take again any time soon.
August 16, 2017
One of the best films of the last decade.
August 7, 2017
This was a good movie. It was interesting, but also hard to watch sometimes. I just wish there had been more explanation of his final act of violence.
August 2, 2017
Expertly shot, and incredibly well acted, We Need to Talk About Kevin is a masterful film that with a career defining performance not only by Swinton, but Miller as well. The entire film feels unnerving and like something could snap at any second and the main characters would be in very stressful situations, but it doesn't actually do that until the end, and the payoff is great. All the actors who portrayed Kevin were excellent, but Miller stands out the most of course, with a performance that is both entertaining and haunting. Swinton is what everybody is here to watch though, as she pulls off a great realization of how stressful the situation must be while not doing anything that would make you think that she is over the top, not even for a second. The ending is very well done too, the final lines of dialogue will stick with me for a long time, as well as performances behind them
July 25, 2017
Subtle primer on how to not bring kids up.