We Need to Talk About Kevin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Need to Talk About Kevin Reviews

December 5, 2017
That kid is definitely a red flag creepy little sociopath. He frightened me so much, I hope I never see his face again. Unless he's wearing a mask. Make it red.

I get excited about and really enjoy films that don't pull their punches and give me a glossy take on a devastatingly emotional topic.
November 23, 2017
Interesting especially in today's time. The nature v. nurture aspect is visceral.
October 30, 2017
Several people have watched this movie and commented that they feel it is unsettling (and perhaps a bit divisive) that no clear reason is given in the flashbacks of Kevin's upbringing for his actions at the end. Kevin claims not to know why he did what he did at the end of the movie. Yet, the quote from the film, which "Tomatoes" published below sums it up perfectly for me:

"Kevin: It's like this: you wake and watch TV, get in your car and listen to the radio you go to your little jobs or little school, but you don't hear about that on the 6 o'clock news, why? 'Cause nothing is really happening, and you go home and watch some more TV and maybe it's a fun night and you go out and watch a movie. I mean it's got so bad that half the people on TV, inside the TV, they're watching TV. What are these people watching, people like me? "

Oddly, I watched "Kevin" immediately after watching an episode of the science/psychology show "Brain Games". The episode had to do with lying: Why we lie and when we start lying. It turns out that infants will cry and fuss as if they need something when actually all they crave is attention. Hence, they are lying.

What we see in Kevin is an obsessive need of attention from the time he is an infant on. He doesn't want to watch TV he wants to be the person who is watched.

Yes, this movie is a terrible downer--does not leave you "humming the songs" afterward. I question whether Kevin's mother would be so universally hated for what happened. She is a victim too. I feel that the hate toward her is overplayed.

Still, the acting is great(!) and the writing and editing are purposeful and tight. It takes a little to get used to the cuts between "now" and "flashbacks". This helps to give insight into the Mother's state of mind.

This movie is haunting. If you like a film that leaves you thinking, not just about the film but about real-life events and people, then I recommend that you watch it.
½ October 9, 2017
5.10.2017
A violência está nos detalhes, e esse filme mostra isso perfeitamente. É fascinante o modo como o filme aborda atos brutais sem precisar correr a imagens chocantes, nos deixando apenas especulando. A cor vermelha ganha um significado único neste filme, não apenas como violência, mas também como Kevin "possuindo o sangue" de sua mãe.
Meu único (e grande) problema com o filme é quando Kevin é apenas um bebê/criança muito pequena; neste trecho, algumas coisas ocorrem sem nenhuma explicação palpável.
½ September 27, 2017
This movie is disturbing. It made me feel creeped out and angry almost the whole way through, and all though it took some time to get going, when it did, it was quite good. The three boys that played Kevin throughout the years were masterfully cast. And Tilda Swinton was phenomenal. Definitely not an easy film to watch.
½ September 1, 2017
The sign were all there. This kid is crazy, weird, and a psycho. John C Reilly needs to open his eyes. As clear as that all is, it's even more clear how great performances by Tilda Swinton and Ezra Miller make this movie a hit. Would've gone to the theatres for this one.
½ August 31, 2017
Cluster fuck of a story
August 25, 2017
I liked this movied, but the thriller/artsy style it was shot in was painful at times. It moved slowly and I found myself wanting more information about certain aspects of the family's life.
½ August 20, 2017
An ordeal to get through. Start to finish a dull and grating movie/
August 17, 2017
it's dreamlike, but the subject matter is so disturbing and dark, that it ends up feeling like a nightmare. an insane trip for sure, but not one that i'd like to take again any time soon.
August 16, 2017
One of the best films of the last decade.
August 7, 2017
This was a good movie. It was interesting, but also hard to watch sometimes. I just wish there had been more explanation of his final act of violence.
August 2, 2017
Expertly shot, and incredibly well acted, We Need to Talk About Kevin is a masterful film that with a career defining performance not only by Swinton, but Miller as well. The entire film feels unnerving and like something could snap at any second and the main characters would be in very stressful situations, but it doesn't actually do that until the end, and the payoff is great. All the actors who portrayed Kevin were excellent, but Miller stands out the most of course, with a performance that is both entertaining and haunting. Swinton is what everybody is here to watch though, as she pulls off a great realization of how stressful the situation must be while not doing anything that would make you think that she is over the top, not even for a second. The ending is very well done too, the final lines of dialogue will stick with me for a long time, as well as performances behind them
July 25, 2017
Subtle primer on how to not bring kids up.
July 13, 2017
phenomenal acting by Swinton. I'm absolutely terrified to raise a kid already....
½ July 4, 2017
Incredible movie, with great performances and great editing, with a good mix of artful film making and traditional film making this movie has a very interesting way of storytelling.
½ June 30, 2017
Unconventional storytelling makes the ending very clear from the start, but the journey is still interesting. Ezra Miller is great as Kevin, while Swinton is a solid lead as well.
June 28, 2017
A horrifying and stylish meditation on the relationship between mother and son, We Need to Talk About Kevin succeeds in eliciting sympathy and revulsion from the viewer, sometimes both at once.
June 21, 2017
A beautifully made, symbolic film that fills its viewers with unease. A brilliant thriller with sensational acting.
June 10, 2017
Everyone needs to watch this film- it's too important not to!!