We Need to Talk About Kevin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Need to Talk About Kevin Reviews

½ August 20, 2017
An ordeal to get through. Start to finish a dull and grating movie/
August 17, 2017
it's dreamlike, but the subject matter is so disturbing and dark, that it ends up feeling like a nightmare. an insane trip for sure, but not one that i'd like to take again any time soon.
August 16, 2017
One of the best films of the last decade.
August 7, 2017
This was a good movie. It was interesting, but also hard to watch sometimes. I just wish there had been more explanation of his final act of violence.
August 2, 2017
Expertly shot, and incredibly well acted, We Need to Talk About Kevin is a masterful film that with a career defining performance not only by Swinton, but Miller as well. The entire film feels unnerving and like something could snap at any second and the main characters would be in very stressful situations, but it doesn't actually do that until the end, and the payoff is great. All the actors who portrayed Kevin were excellent, but Miller stands out the most of course, with a performance that is both entertaining and haunting. Swinton is what everybody is here to watch though, as she pulls off a great realization of how stressful the situation must be while not doing anything that would make you think that she is over the top, not even for a second. The ending is very well done too, the final lines of dialogue will stick with me for a long time, as well as performances behind them
July 25, 2017
Subtle primer on how to not bring kids up.
July 13, 2017
phenomenal acting by Swinton. I'm absolutely terrified to raise a kid already....
½ July 4, 2017
Incredible movie, with great performances and great editing, with a good mix of artful film making and traditional film making this movie has a very interesting way of storytelling.
½ June 30, 2017
Unconventional storytelling makes the ending very clear from the start, but the journey is still interesting. Ezra Miller is great as Kevin, while Swinton is a solid lead as well.
June 28, 2017
A horrifying and stylish meditation on the relationship between mother and son, We Need to Talk About Kevin succeeds in eliciting sympathy and revulsion from the viewer, sometimes both at once.
June 21, 2017
A beautifully made, symbolic film that fills its viewers with unease. A brilliant thriller with sensational acting.
June 10, 2017
Everyone needs to watch this film- it's too important not to!!
May 30, 2017
To call We Need to Talk About Kevin disturbing would be something of an understatement. Nary a moment goes by in the film's two hour running time that doesn't carry an unsettling aura of despair, but it speaks to the craft of Lynne Ramsay's direction and her dedicated cast. Told in a non-linear format, the film sublimely unravels the doomed fates of it's characters, and it results in what is arguably the first truly effective film about a Columbine-esque scenario. It's fortunate that not every movie is as brutal as this one, but We Need to Talk About Kevin earns its right to tackle such content.
May 30, 2017
This movie is definitely psychotic... for for the simple purpose of being that way. It's unraveled quite nicely, without ever giving you too much right away. The build up ultimately climaxes into an absurd ending. And the ending itself... is bittersweet in some way... with a very deep emotional undertone. Slow but good. A+
May 18, 2017
This was very disturbing. I was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Tilda Swinton does a wonderful job in the role of Eva. Her sorrow and her loss are written in her every expression. Ezra Miller is very convincing as Kevin. From the outside looking in it was clear to see that he was a very disturbed young man. As uncomfortable as this film made me, it is worth seeing because it kind of spreads awareness about dealing with people such as Kevin.
½ May 16, 2017
Although the performances are generally great, the story is told in a distracting way and ends up being not very insightful.
April 27, 2017
Obviously disturbing, but great performances.
½ March 21, 2017
Real life horror served in an irritating structure.
March 20, 2017
I would have given it at least a 4 1/2 if the soundtrack weren't so idiotic and tonally awkward. Besides that, I would strongly recommend We Need To Talk About Kevin.
March 17, 2017
Pretty good movie. But, extremely depressing! The pacing was a bit weird though, because the director, I think, put a lot of effort into making it an artsy movie. But, other than that, the movie was memorable. The acting was good and the story was enticing, albeit extremely depressing