We Were Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Soldiers Reviews

½ September 27, 2017
I think it was ok, I actually liked Sam Elliott's character the best, but I am always biased because he's a really cool actor. Watching it now in 2017, things have moved on a bit, so if it was remade with less of the gushing and forced scenes, then I think it would do it more justice, but that's just my opinion.
½ August 30, 2017
Very different view of Vietnam war. It is very historically accurate unlike a lot of films depicting Vietnam are very centered on the whole anti-war sentiment like Apocalypse Now or Full Metal Jacket (both of which are still very good films). My favorite thing about it basically sums up the whole mentality that lead to the loss of the war by the United States. The Americans greatly underestimated the Vietnamese which lead to their downfall.
½ July 3, 2017
A reasonably honest and straight forward attempt by Hollywood to depict the theatre of war in the first major American engagement with the North Vietnamese. Worth a look if you are interested in grown-up war movies.
May 31, 2017
Though this war film is extremely cliched and follows a relatively predictable narrative it is held together by the impressive and bloody action scenes, a committed lead performance by Mel Gibson, a solid supporting cast, a good score and incredibly detailed production values.
½ May 15, 2017
170515: Three quarters of this film is just violence, death and destruction. I fail to see any true value other than an attempt to relay, perhaps, history. We Were Soldiers offers nothing new to the war genre nor does it have any commendable acting. Off to the garage sale pile.
½ May 11, 2017
Mel Gibson stars in one of his best performances, surrounded by a plethora of ensemble actors and actresses. This film at first made me fear that the scenes with the wives would feel tacked on and unnecessary, but they worked perfectly to my surprise. There is also some really well made action scenes that do an effective job of showing how awful war is. Even though the movie is long, it never felt liked it dragged, and this was a great accomplishment
April 21, 2017
The critical consensus nails the review of 'We Were Soldiers.' That being said, it won't rank among the best War movies of all time but that still doesn't mean it wasn't a solid cinematic piece.
April 3, 2017
Well told true story. Some people you care about instead of bullets only. Too gory. The "Saving Private Ryan Effect". every war movie has to get more graphic, leaving nothing to the imagination.

Very good. Way better than Black Hawk Down. Some story lines! Mel good as always.
½ March 11, 2017
It's a very realistic movie done from many points of view, but it's hard to watch the US Army get slaughtered so bad.
February 26, 2017
Great movie. Very moving.
½ February 18, 2017
Superb war movie that effectively captures not only both sides of the conflict, but the war at home as well. Mel Gibson gives one of his best leading performances, accurately playing Hal Moore as a deeply religious family man and brilliant soldier who doesn't see contradiction in that (as he tells one of his lieutenants on being a soldier & a father, he believes being good at one makes him better at the other). He receives fantastic support from the rest of the cast, particularly Sam Elliot as Sgt. Major Plumley (who by all accounts nailed him) and Greg Kinnear as Bruce Crandall (whose heroics as a helicopter pilot would earn him the Medal of Honor). Behind the camera, Randall Wallace crafts an effective war film that examines all sides of the conflict. The Vietnamese soldiers are humanized and treated with respect, particularly Lt. Col. Nguyen Han (nicely played by Duong Den), Hal Moore's counter part on the battlefield who is also a religious but effective battlefield commander. The conflict is brutally played out (war & violence is not glorified here) and you seeing Moore & Han make moves & counter moves to best each other like a bloody chess game. Wallace also makes a point to show the effects of the conflict back home, as the soldiers wives must learn the news of their husbands deaths. Overall, one of the better Vietnam movies ever made, thanks to this balance of presenting all sides of the conflict.
½ November 24, 2016
The cinematography of the movie doesn't match up with what the story deserves which is a love letter and tribute to the bravery and sacrifice of he soldiers in the Vietnam war as well the families that had to let them go. Still Mel Gibson and Michael Clayton deliver awesome performances as two totally different men.
½ November 19, 2016
Gibson shines in this powerfully violent portrayal.
October 9, 2016
great soundtrack; though mel gibson felt wanting in some places
October 1, 2016
A Vietnam movie starring a guy who moved to Australia to avoid being drafted. No Thanks.
September 30, 2016
Worth watching! Phenomenal look into one of the first battles of VietNam.
September 9, 2016
Mel Gibson stars Lieutenant Colonel Hal Moore in We Were Soldiers. The film documents there entry into the Vietnam in what was considered to be on of the worst battles of the war. We Were Soldiers starts slow in an attempt for you to get to know the soldiers in their wives. The film then goes on with an onslaught of continuing violence and war as if to remind and ingrain that war is bad. Costars in the film include Chris Kleine, Sam Elliott and Barry Pepper as a reporter. The film clearly does this to insinuate the chaos that had to have been the war. Without much room for breath, or much other elements to the film, the film does get weary. The film does at least tie to film the actual victims along with some statistics of the war, which did make for a stronger and more powerful ending.
July 6, 2016
I found this movie to be a realistic film. I had refused to see it in the theater because I figured that it would just be another bad war movie. I was wrong. Mel Gibson delivers a powerful performance. I especially enjoy how his frankness, and compassion feel believable for the character he protrays..
jamrcla
July 6, 2016
A really well made movie about the war in Viatnam, It does justice in remembering those who lost their lives in battle with a very gripping and emotional film, The film itself is just one giant battle and it's very well done and very realistic, Some of the best war action scenes in film even by today's films, Mel Gibson was great but the best performances were from the wives of the soldiers that made us feel their loss with some great acting, Overall it's very underrated, Very action packed but it's about more than just the action and should be rememberd that way.
June 26, 2016
If the story and the characters were as captivating as the battle scenes, we'd have a winner.