We Were Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Soldiers Reviews

October 9, 2016
great soundtrack; though mel gibson felt wanting in some places
October 1, 2016
A Vietnam movie starring a guy who moved to Australia to avoid being drafted. No Thanks.
September 30, 2016
Worth watching! Phenomenal look into one of the first battles of VietNam.
September 9, 2016
Mel Gibson stars Lieutenant Colonel Hal Moore in We Were Soldiers. The film documents there entry into the Vietnam in what was considered to be on of the worst battles of the war. We Were Soldiers starts slow in an attempt for you to get to know the soldiers in their wives. The film then goes on with an onslaught of continuing violence and war as if to remind and ingrain that war is bad. Costars in the film include Chris Kleine, Sam Elliott and Barry Pepper as a reporter. The film clearly does this to insinuate the chaos that had to have been the war. Without much room for breath, or much other elements to the film, the film does get weary. The film does at least tie to film the actual victims along with some statistics of the war, which did make for a stronger and more powerful ending.
July 6, 2016
I found this movie to be a realistic film. I had refused to see it in the theater because I figured that it would just be another bad war movie. I was wrong. Mel Gibson delivers a powerful performance. I especially enjoy how his frankness, and compassion feel believable for the character he protrays..
July 6, 2016
A really well made movie about the war in Viatnam, It does justice in remembering those who lost their lives in battle with a very gripping and emotional film, The film itself is just one giant battle and it's very well done and very realistic, Some of the best war action scenes in film even by today's films, Mel Gibson was great but the best performances were from the wives of the soldiers that made us feel their loss with some great acting, Overall it's very underrated, Very action packed but it's about more than just the action and should be rememberd that way.
June 26, 2016
If the story and the characters were as captivating as the battle scenes, we'd have a winner.
½ June 12, 2016
To give this movie good reviews is to lie to oneself. This has got to be among the worst big budgeted, star studded, "based on a true story" war film of the 21st century. The guts to actually portray the Vietnam war victorious on the US side is just embarrassing... The caricature-esque characters (Mel Gibson portrayed an immortal, better than Rambo and Commando combined, God-like Lt. Colonel Moore who never seemed to bother laying low when under fire. I wonder if that was based on a true story), the over the top violence Mel Gibson seems to love so much, you have to see the photo-journalist montage Barry Pepper did in the film, hilarious. Oh this film was never shot anywhere remotely tropical btw. Did anyone realize none of the settings looked like Vietnam at all?? This film is embarrassing, and top critics giving this film positive reviews were either paid or just got horrible taste and utter fanaticism towards the US and A.
½ May 29, 2016
We were Soldiers reviewed

Jarom Ferris

3.5 out of 4 stars

We were soldiers is a movie based on true events as recorded in a book written by Lt. Gen. Hal Moore. It recounts the first major battle of the Vietnam War. It follows Lt. Col. Hal Moore (Mel Gibson)-an extremely smart, family oriented man who loves being a soldier and that is dedicated to his men- through some of the worst fighting in the Vietnam War. This movie, although corny and cliché at some point does paint a good picture of what it might have been like to be there on that day in November 1965 and it doesn't skimp on the gore. If you think that a movie about the Vietnam war should condemn and vilify the war and the soldiers you may not like this movie but if you are a cinephile like me you'll love it and you might notice some similarities to other movies in this genre like The Green Berets or Black Hawk Down.

We were Soldiers takes place during one of the most difficult times in United States history. The country was completely divided over our involvement in the Vietnam War. This movie stays completely away from the politics though. It focuses mainly on the soldiers themselves and their wives. It really brings to light the reality and the horrors of war. It paints a picture of death and destruction and loss on both sides. It doesn't make the enemy out to be evil savages like so many movies before but human beings who lead lives before the war and that left behind wives and children just like Lt. Col. Moore and the soldiers under his command did.

Along with gore and the harshness of the battle front, this movie does a good job in portraying the hardships and the anxiety that the wives of Lt. Col. Moore and his soldiers. Julie Moore (Madeleine Stowe) along with Barbara Geoghegan (Keri Russel) are put in a position where they have to deliver the telegrams to the wives of the soldiers that had been killed in battle which would have been emotionally taxing in its own right.

Director Randall Wallace ( Pearl Harbor) does a great job capturing the physically and emotionally taxing ordeal that these brave men of the seventh cavalry had to go through during those 3 days they were there. Although he did throw in some corny and cliché lines, most of which are spoken by Lt. Col Hal Moore's second in command, Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumely ( Sam Elliot), they didn't take anything away from the overall greatness of this movie. It is a fitting tribute to the men of the seventh cavalry who died that day thousands of miles away from their home and to the many Vietnamese soldiers who did the same.

All in all no matter what your thoughts are about the Vietnam War, this movie is worth the 2 hours you'll put into watching it. You'll come out with more gratefulness and respect to people like Lt. Col. Moore and his men who are so willing to lay down their lives for freedom.
May 14, 2016
This movie gives a very authentic feel to Vietnam. Although there were problems, such as the jarring editing, good acting, action, and authenticity to the source makes this film stand out.
May 12, 2016
An uncomfortable lesson about the beginning of the USA's involvement in Vietnam. At once a superb action film and also a salutary story of how many lives might have been saved if the Americans had lost the first major battle with the Vietcong.
May 1, 2016
Great battle scenes but pretty weak in many other areas.

A telling of the 1st Battalion, 7 Cavalry Regiment, 1st Calvary Division's battle against overwhelming odds in the La Drang valley of Vietnam in 1965. Seen through the eyes of the battalion's commander, Lt. Col. Hal Moore (played by Mel Gibson), we see him take command of the battalion and its preparations to go into Vietnam. We also see how the French had, years earlier, been defeated in the same area. The battle was to be the first major engagement between US and NVA forces in Vietnam and showed the use of helicopters as mobility providers and assault support aircraft.

Very gritty battle scenes. Captures well the chaos and confusion of battle, plus the desperation and terror involved when things aren't going well. Mostly accurate, by most accounts, though some minor liberties are taken for dramatic effect.

The problem, however, lies with just about everything else. Dialogue is quite over-the-top, as if just about everybody is played by John Wayne. Many simple passages of dialogue are turned into speeches, and cliche-filled speeches at that.

In keeping with the cheesy dialogue, some pretty heavy-handed, overly gung ho scenes too. Once again, reminded me of a John Wayne movie.

Overall, quite entertaining, just uneven because of the mix of gritty battle scenes and cheesy dialogue and other scenes.
March 25, 2016
very good Viet Nam movie. Sure shows the action and what happened..
February 19, 2016
War films are a dime a dozen whether they're tackling World War 1, the extremely popular World War 2, the recent battles in the Middle East, or Vietnam, and this particular film focuses on the first major battle between the Americans and the Vietnamese in brutal detail as they were outnumbered 5:1 in the infamous battle of La Drang. Written and directed by Randall Wallace (who also wrote Pearl Harbour and Braveheart), the film paints a highly realistic portrayal of the carnage of war; flipping back and forth between the soldiers fighting in 'Nam and their spouses at home receiving KIA notifications: it's very grim stuff. Mel Gibson stars at Lt. Colonel Hal Moore whose jingoistic intentions to get the job done and protect his men is admirable and is exemplified perfectly when he tells his troops, "I will be the first to set foot on the field, and I will be the last to step off, and I will leave no one behind". The rest of the cast is padded out with familiar faces such as: Greg Kinnear, Sam Elliot, Chris Klein, Keri Russell, Barry Pepper, Madeleine Stowe, etc. while also featuring some surprising appearances from later TV stars, Jon Hamm, Clark Gregg, Ryan Hurst, and Desmond Harrington. In reality, it isn't hard to get big names to appear in war films, but it is still worth noting. As mentioned, the battle scenes are violent, in-your-face, and really hard to watch as you can clearly see how overwhelmed the American soldiers were and how desperate they become when their numbers swiftly drop. There is a scene where a soldier is nearly burned to death by friendly fire and a fellow soldier attempts to carry him out and the skin on his legs literally peels off like ribs on the bone; some horrific imagery for sure. From what I've heard, the facts aren't all the way there (what war film is), but if you enjoy these types of movies and can handle the violence, it's definitely one of the better films to tackle the conflict in Vietnam since, Platoon.
½ January 11, 2016
Another Mel Gibson Classic!
December 3, 2015
This was a great film. Mel Gibson was great as Col. Hal Moore. The other characters in the film did a good job, on both sides. I liked that they tried to give the Vietnamese troops more human qualitities and stories, rather than just your cliche, stereotypical Asian grunt that just wants to see everything burn and die. These soldiers fought for a purpose. The battles were very grusome, violent, and bloody, but at the same time were extremely effective at portraying what actually happened during the Battle of Ia Drang Valley. Although there were some really heavy cliches that took away from the realism of the movie, it was an enjoyable and eye-opening ride through one of the first battles of the Vietnam War. 4/5 Stars.
November 11, 2015
If I was to follow any one into combat it would be Gen. Moore and CSM Plumley! And, if I was told to guard the gates of hell I could just hear this conversation: "Son, how much ammo have you got? Enough Sergeant Major! How much is that? One for each head!" If CSM Plumley and Sam Elliot playing him were to stand side by side, I don't think they could be separated because from what I've been told of CSM Plumley, he was just as tough in real life as Sam Elliot played him!
November 11, 2015
This is one of the best war movies since the most recent ones in the past. Mel Gibson gives a good performance, the war action is very good with good special effects. Pure action from start to finish, just a great good momarable movie to watch. So for this being a great or should I say the one of the best war movies that belong in the list of war movies ever made, I give " We Were Soldiers " a B.
August 24, 2015
didn't care much about this war movie very much
August 16, 2015
A mediocre war movie with a wooden performance by Mel Gibson.