We Were Soldiers - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

We Were Soldiers Reviews

½ July 3, 2017
A reasonably honest and straight forward attempt by Hollywood to depict the theatre of war in the first major American engagement with the North Vietnamese. Worth a look if you are interested in grown-up war movies.
May 31, 2017
Though this war film is extremely cliched and follows a relatively predictable narrative it is held together by the impressive and bloody action scenes, a committed lead performance by Mel Gibson, a solid supporting cast, a good score and incredibly detailed production values.
½ May 15, 2017
170515: Three quarters of this film is just violence, death and destruction. I fail to see any true value other than an attempt to relay, perhaps, history. We Were Soldiers offers nothing new to the war genre nor does it have any commendable acting. Off to the garage sale pile.
½ May 11, 2017
Mel Gibson stars in one of his best performances, surrounded by a plethora of ensemble actors and actresses. This film at first made me fear that the scenes with the wives would feel tacked on and unnecessary, but they worked perfectly to my surprise. There is also some really well made action scenes that do an effective job of showing how awful war is. Even though the movie is long, it never felt liked it dragged, and this was a great accomplishment
April 21, 2017
The critical consensus nails the review of 'We Were Soldiers.' That being said, it won't rank among the best War movies of all time but that still doesn't mean it wasn't a solid cinematic piece.
April 3, 2017
Well told true story. Some people you care about instead of bullets only. Too gory. The "Saving Private Ryan Effect". every war movie has to get more graphic, leaving nothing to the imagination.

Very good. Way better than Black Hawk Down. Some story lines! Mel good as always.
½ March 11, 2017
It's a very realistic movie done from many points of view, but it's hard to watch the US Army get slaughtered so bad.
February 26, 2017
Great movie. Very moving.
½ February 18, 2017
Superb war movie that effectively captures not only both sides of the conflict, but the war at home as well. Mel Gibson gives one of his best leading performances, accurately playing Hal Moore as a deeply religious family man and brilliant soldier who doesn't see contradiction in that (as he tells one of his lieutenants on being a soldier & a father, he believes being good at one makes him better at the other). He receives fantastic support from the rest of the cast, particularly Sam Elliot as Sgt. Major Plumley (who by all accounts nailed him) and Greg Kinnear as Bruce Crandall (whose heroics as a helicopter pilot would earn him the Medal of Honor). Behind the camera, Randall Wallace crafts an effective war film that examines all sides of the conflict. The Vietnamese soldiers are humanized and treated with respect, particularly Lt. Col. Nguyen Han (nicely played by Duong Den), Hal Moore's counter part on the battlefield who is also a religious but effective battlefield commander. The conflict is brutally played out (war & violence is not glorified here) and you seeing Moore & Han make moves & counter moves to best each other like a bloody chess game. Wallace also makes a point to show the effects of the conflict back home, as the soldiers wives must learn the news of their husbands deaths. Overall, one of the better Vietnam movies ever made, thanks to this balance of presenting all sides of the conflict.
½ November 24, 2016
The cinematography of the movie doesn't match up with what the story deserves which is a love letter and tribute to the bravery and sacrifice of he soldiers in the Vietnam war as well the families that had to let them go. Still Mel Gibson and Michael Clayton deliver awesome performances as two totally different men.
½ November 19, 2016
Gibson shines in this powerfully violent portrayal.
October 9, 2016
great soundtrack; though mel gibson felt wanting in some places
October 1, 2016
A Vietnam movie starring a guy who moved to Australia to avoid being drafted. No Thanks.
September 30, 2016
Worth watching! Phenomenal look into one of the first battles of VietNam.
September 9, 2016
Mel Gibson stars Lieutenant Colonel Hal Moore in We Were Soldiers. The film documents there entry into the Vietnam in what was considered to be on of the worst battles of the war. We Were Soldiers starts slow in an attempt for you to get to know the soldiers in their wives. The film then goes on with an onslaught of continuing violence and war as if to remind and ingrain that war is bad. Costars in the film include Chris Kleine, Sam Elliott and Barry Pepper as a reporter. The film clearly does this to insinuate the chaos that had to have been the war. Without much room for breath, or much other elements to the film, the film does get weary. The film does at least tie to film the actual victims along with some statistics of the war, which did make for a stronger and more powerful ending.
July 6, 2016
I found this movie to be a realistic film. I had refused to see it in the theater because I figured that it would just be another bad war movie. I was wrong. Mel Gibson delivers a powerful performance. I especially enjoy how his frankness, and compassion feel believable for the character he protrays..
jamrcla
July 6, 2016
A really well made movie about the war in Viatnam, It does justice in remembering those who lost their lives in battle with a very gripping and emotional film, The film itself is just one giant battle and it's very well done and very realistic, Some of the best war action scenes in film even by today's films, Mel Gibson was great but the best performances were from the wives of the soldiers that made us feel their loss with some great acting, Overall it's very underrated, Very action packed but it's about more than just the action and should be rememberd that way.
June 26, 2016
If the story and the characters were as captivating as the battle scenes, we'd have a winner.
½ June 12, 2016
To give this movie good reviews is to lie to oneself. This has got to be among the worst big budgeted, star studded, "based on a true story" war film of the 21st century. The guts to actually portray the Vietnam war victorious on the US side is just embarrassing... The caricature-esque characters (Mel Gibson portrayed an immortal, better than Rambo and Commando combined, God-like Lt. Colonel Moore who never seemed to bother laying low when under fire. I wonder if that was based on a true story), the over the top violence Mel Gibson seems to love so much, you have to see the photo-journalist montage Barry Pepper did in the film, hilarious. Oh this film was never shot anywhere remotely tropical btw. Did anyone realize none of the settings looked like Vietnam at all?? This film is embarrassing, and top critics giving this film positive reviews were either paid or just got horrible taste and utter fanaticism towards the US and A.
½ May 29, 2016
We were Soldiers reviewed

Jarom Ferris

3.5 out of 4 stars

We were soldiers is a movie based on true events as recorded in a book written by Lt. Gen. Hal Moore. It recounts the first major battle of the Vietnam War. It follows Lt. Col. Hal Moore (Mel Gibson)-an extremely smart, family oriented man who loves being a soldier and that is dedicated to his men- through some of the worst fighting in the Vietnam War. This movie, although corny and cliché at some point does paint a good picture of what it might have been like to be there on that day in November 1965 and it doesn't skimp on the gore. If you think that a movie about the Vietnam war should condemn and vilify the war and the soldiers you may not like this movie but if you are a cinephile like me you'll love it and you might notice some similarities to other movies in this genre like The Green Berets or Black Hawk Down.

We were Soldiers takes place during one of the most difficult times in United States history. The country was completely divided over our involvement in the Vietnam War. This movie stays completely away from the politics though. It focuses mainly on the soldiers themselves and their wives. It really brings to light the reality and the horrors of war. It paints a picture of death and destruction and loss on both sides. It doesn't make the enemy out to be evil savages like so many movies before but human beings who lead lives before the war and that left behind wives and children just like Lt. Col. Moore and the soldiers under his command did.

Along with gore and the harshness of the battle front, this movie does a good job in portraying the hardships and the anxiety that the wives of Lt. Col. Moore and his soldiers. Julie Moore (Madeleine Stowe) along with Barbara Geoghegan (Keri Russel) are put in a position where they have to deliver the telegrams to the wives of the soldiers that had been killed in battle which would have been emotionally taxing in its own right.

Director Randall Wallace ( Pearl Harbor) does a great job capturing the physically and emotionally taxing ordeal that these brave men of the seventh cavalry had to go through during those 3 days they were there. Although he did throw in some corny and cliché lines, most of which are spoken by Lt. Col Hal Moore's second in command, Sgt. Maj. Basil Plumely ( Sam Elliot), they didn't take anything away from the overall greatness of this movie. It is a fitting tribute to the men of the seventh cavalry who died that day thousands of miles away from their home and to the many Vietnamese soldiers who did the same.

All in all no matter what your thoughts are about the Vietnam War, this movie is worth the 2 hours you'll put into watching it. You'll come out with more gratefulness and respect to people like Lt. Col. Moore and his men who are so willing to lay down their lives for freedom.