Weekend - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Weekend Reviews

September 30, 2017
beautiful film. simple, one night stand but oh my god we like each other story that will win anyone with even the iciest heart over. outstanding acting.
July 24, 2017
Weekend is a film I've come back to repeatedly, perhaps more than any other Indie drama I've watched. My first viewing of Weekend was around my freshman year of college, a time when I was navigating my own sexuality and the process of coming out. I found Russell and Glen to be very likable souls, and their reflections on queerness, dating culture, sex, and art piqued my interest. I think I gave it 5 stars because I resonated with it, yet didn't quite know how yet - I loved every minute and I did not know why. Having picked up the film a couple years later, I have a remarkable appreciation for what Andrew Haigh has created here. When I think about film as an art form, I think of its ability to create bridges of empathy between who is on screen and who is on the audience. Russell and Glen were two of the first queer characters I saw in a film. The characters are wildly different. Russell is more of an introvert, a young man still coming to terms with his sexuality and how he navigates those conversations in his every day life. Glen is the opposite -- his queerness is something he flaunts, daring to fight anyone who taunts him with microaggressions. Yet they are both very well-thought out characters, excellently portrayed by Tom Cullen and Chris New. The chemistry is there, and each scene radiates with energy. The conversations they share are simple, yet profound. The first scene in which they interact in Russell's bedroom is perhaps one of my favorite. They are still, in a way, strangers to each other, yet Glen is hellbent on getting Russell to open up to him about their night. Their conversation is breathtaking because it is so engaging, so fresh, so new -- it's the conversations that people typically don't have, yet reveal so many traits about each character. The film itself is a really interesting commentary on dating and hookup culture, and how meaning can be derived from what a lot of people describe as just "dirty" acts. By the end of the film, it is hard to say goodbye to these characters. They are authentic and charming, and I've found a great deal of solace in listening to their experiences. Haigh's script is engaging, well-thought out, and nigh perfect. The camera work is intimate, with long takes allowing for Cullen and New to stretch their acting muscles. The music is subtle, but a nice touch. Weekend is such a beautiful, intimate film. It is a story that is at times emotionally draining, but also demands empathy for a community that is often so misunderstood. It's one of my favorite films as a result.
½ July 1, 2017
A solid story about two strangers that feels like an everyday story, not like a film script. Russell and Glen take us on a journey that could just easily happen to us in real life. Meeting a person for a very short amount of time and achieving a strong connection and then just let it go forever with sorrow and sadness, wishing in vain for more time. Beautiful and realistic story.
June 4, 2017
Best film representations of two gay men in a some what relationship. No tragedy bullshit, no homophobia , no suicide, no aids hysteria, just a great film. I loved this film so much I'd place it in my top 3. The acting is so realistic, the camera work is so creative and innovative It just blends so well together.This film depicts both men, although totally different seem extremely likable. It is such a progressive move forward, with no stereotypes, just the reality of being a gay man from London. The dialogue in the film is the main drive it just gets better, and its very insightful, The film makers weren't afraid to make something in your face without being in your face, The perfect romantic film, no matter what orientation you are.
April 6, 2017
You must have enough sleep to stay with the dialogues.
½ January 11, 2017
My friend cried really hard on this one! it must be pretty good!
January 6, 2017
Too much love:( love how much they used John Grant in this film.
½ July 26, 2016
Empathetic, honest, depressing and also beautiful.
June 21, 2016
A very beautiful movie,with so many truths.A very beautiful script,that stays true to what it stands for,and two amazing actors that do it justice. It's sweet, beautiful and extremely heartwarmig.Love can be found in the most unexpected ways.
June 16, 2016
Such a beautifully written love story, enough to get any straight guy hard, it definitely woke my inner Lust Demon!
June 2, 2016
The most emotionally honest movie I've ever seen. This is how it really feels to find the 'real thing.' This movie is an achievement.
April 27, 2016
Very nice and romantic love story. There is some sex in this film (obviously gay, so, if you beleive you do not like, do not see it). But what really impressed me is the drugs use and abuse: the quantity and the variety they use in this film is impressive - for me, at least.
And I suspect that at least some joint was real: it would take superhuman actors, to simulate so well that kind of eye ...
½ March 29, 2016
"Weekend" is the definition of raw emotion. Finally movie lovers get to witness a portrayal of gay love as something more than the hookup stereotype of gay culture. It's an honest and intimate tale of two men that found something special born from the smokey remains of a passionate night together. Tom Cullen and Chris New bring something extraordinary and refreshing to the acting table. The story is an all too real reality for a lot of people.
March 22, 2016
A well-crafted, honest rendering of contemporary (sex-driven) relationships. Surprisingly touching and overall enjoyable, even during its most trivial moments. Like a French New Wave film but gay and in full color.
March 4, 2016
Not really a very interesting story but an interesting film. This is one of the very few love stories between geezers that does not make their sexuality an issue for another character in the film, they are not camp or mincing around the place for comedy effect, and nobody dresses up like a woman. This actually feels like the first film ever to do this. Having said that, there was nothing other than it's stance that interested me about this. The performances were impressive but still a very boring film.
½ March 2, 2016
I'm a sucker for a well-written tale of how two people meet and get to know each other. Weekend is in the vein of Linklater's Before Sunrise and is just as good. Written and directed by Andrew Haigh, Weekend takes two men on divergent paths and puts them together at a bar. As one could imagine by the title, they spend a weekend together.

Weekend isn't dialogue heavy so Haigh relies on his two leads to put together strong non-verbal performances and they are u to the task. While this film isn't for children it isn't any more gratuitous then it needs to be. Haigh takes chances and they pay off in a powerful message of how love works in the gay community but this isn't really about gay or straight it's about two people who are probably meant to be together who are going in different directions.

One can hope that they meet again much as the duo did in Before Sunrise. This movie is visually stunning. Haigh has unique vision of what he wants the film to be and you end up trapped in the heads of the two stars. You may not be able to know exactly what they are thinking, but the viewer ends up thinking they know. This is a great movie.
March 1, 2016
It doesn't break any new ground in terms of gay cinema, but Weekend is a beautifully photographed portrait of unrestrained emotions in a complex relationship.
February 27, 2016
For this kind of style/genre, known as "mumblecore," "Weekend" does everything right. Not only is this film incredibly, deeply personal but its conversations are important about society and these relationships while simultaneously developing one of the most human on-screen relationships you'll ever see in an Indie movie. There has been a million of these low-budget, 2 people in a room talking Indie relationship movies, but nothing quite as powerful and as smart as "Weekend." One of the most perfect movies I've ever seen.
½ February 20, 2016
A wonderfully honest and realistic portrayal of a sexual encounter leading to something profound and unexpected, and it is in essence a universal story that makes it so easy for us to empathize with these characters who are so three-dimensional, well constructed and complex.
February 5, 2016
Intimate, truthful and brave. It's a beautifully crafted piece of cinema.