When You're Strange - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

When You're Strange Reviews

½ July 8, 2015
Great footage I've never seen before. Hey; it worked well for him...but was Jim ever sober?
January 20, 2015
Interesante documental sobre Jim Morrion, narrado por Jhonny Deep.
April 28, 2014
It's true that sometimes this documentary is a little too worshipful of The Doors, but that's only here or there. When You're Strange is a loving, faithful, and (as far as I can tell) honest portrait of one of the great rock bands, it's iconic singer, and of the decade they thrived in. Johnny Depp as narrator is also an inspired choice that works to the films advantage. A must-see for anyone who has even a passing interest in The Doors, Jim Morrison, or The 60's.
½ December 4, 2013
An interesting psychedelic look at The Doors and Jim Morrison, that's much like the music and performances of the band: Hit or Miss. At times the film flies high, and at other times it crashes and burns under it's dreary, monotonous tone from narrator Johnny Depp. High concept but mediocre execution.
November 15, 2013
Well, this was much better than that Oliver Stone film. Not as enlightening as it could've been, nor as nonbiased as an Errol Morris documentary - Tom DiCillo obviously idolizes Jim Morrison's balance between pretentiousness and sex symbol - but still entertaining and not as infuriating as that certain Oliver Stone film that tries to sugar-coat its view of the Doors.
November 5, 2013
bored narration by Johnny Depp, the film is slightly insightful but offers little new info
September 25, 2013
Documentary about a transcendental, obsessive Morrison and the band behind him, that had to balance and adjust to such mesmerizing ecstasies.
August 28, 2013
Lots of rare footage and great music.
July 5, 2013
A documentary filled with original footage from the Doors fantastic but short existence. Well written & with some fascinating insight into one of the great American rock bands and it's charismatic front man, Jim Morrison. I would have liked to have seen the filmmaker dig deeper & pull back some of the layers to allow for more insight than they did but I still thoroughly enjoyed all the original film material & the sound was fantastic!

A doc definitely worth seeing.
May 30, 2013
As a Doors fan... I must own this!
½ May 26, 2013
Interesting docu about The Doors. It mainly is about Jim Morrison and his way of living but you also get to see some rare concert- and studiomoments that explain a lot about the band. Must-see for the fans.
May 23, 2013
Amazing amazing amazing....I loved the footage of Jim driving around as well as everything else. I learned some new things. Still gives me goosebumps about Jim dying. Such a tragedy.
½ May 23, 2013
Nothing new here for fans of The Doors. Most of this is rehashed footage and retold lore. The whole story is better delivered in Oliver Stone's biopic, The Doors. Depp's narration has a droll, sterile feel. The stock footage of 60s events is particularly cliche. I mean, really? You went there? But all in all, you can't argue with the legacy of The Doors, no matter how poorly it's presented. One of the true seminal American rock n' roll bands.
May 20, 2013
Having watched and hated the Oliver stone version of the doors story I was mostly attracted to this movie by the fact that there were no actors and Johnny deep was attached to the project. The Oliver stone version was so far fetched and exaggerated that I found it hard to believe that this was the story of someone's life and thought it was definitely a " loosely based on " story. This movie is as realistic and humble and believable as the Oliver stone movie was pretentious, fake and exaggerated. I loved it and enjoyed it despite the fact that they had jimmy, play jimmy in a " reanactment " . It messed up my sense of reality, but it was amazing and honest.
½ April 6, 2013
This doc is narrated by Johnny Depp (positive) directed by an obvious fan (partial negative) gives us the first interview with Jim Morrison's father (positive) and includes unseen footage of the Doors all over (very positive). What it does most of all, is remind us how good the music was, and that there's no way this band should ever have worked this well, and that maybe Jim Morrison wasn't quite the Devil many thought him to be. Worth it for a fan, if you're not, it isn't going to give you much more enlightenment.
½ March 18, 2013
Loved seeing all the old footage of Jim Morrison, and hearing Johnny Depp narrate the entire documentary was pretty awesome!!
½ February 15, 2013
Is there such a s thing as a bad The Doors documentary? Didn't think so.
January 15, 2013
its the doors...need i say more? very awesome video quality for the time it was recorded. awesome historical account of the doors. if you are looking for a theatrical movie of the doors then see the movie by Oliver stone.
½ December 22, 2012
Interesting rockumentary. Mixture of real footage and reenactment. Narrated by Johnny Depp. I appreciate The Doors more and more as I learn more about them.
November 17, 2012
Good documentary about the Doors.