Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

June 13, 2017
A dazzling entertainment.
½ June 1, 2017
Brilliantly colourful and wonderfully acted, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory stills proves wildly entertaining.
May 14, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies.
May 1, 2017
Not my favorite movie, the signing was good but that's all
April 23, 2017
OK, there are bizarre narrative decisions that might frighten younger children (such as the scary tunnel scene or several disturbing things that happen to the children), still it's a well-deserved staple of most families from the 70's up to today. An indelible part of the culture for those that grew up in that era since it was on TV all the time-and one that made Gene Wilder a legend of boisterous kookiness. Memorable music, Willy Wonka is a fable in the vein of the Wizard of Oz.
April 5, 2017
Now this is where it's at, get the hell out, emo Willy Wonka and your crappy remake! This movie is more colorful and not as EMOOO!
March 20, 2017
As good as the book, better than Burton's dull and lifeless re-make.
½ March 10, 2017
Rating: 9/10

The music is classic. The set design spectacular. And Gene Wilder is pure magic in this wonderful family classic that is, as it sings, pure imagination.
March 7, 2017
Willy Wonka has a big Wonka!
March 3, 2017
RIP Gene Wilder 1933-2016
February 8, 2017
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory is a strange, but charming movie with performances from Gene Wilder and Jack Albertson
½ December 30, 2016
The story's not all that loyal to the original book and some of the effects are pretty dated, but most of the sets still look beautiful, the songs still sound very nice, and the acting still has a lot of charm. Will make you crave chocolate.
December 29, 2016
Joyful screen adaptation of Roald Dahl's beloved children's fable, almost entirely because of Gene Wilder's perfectly judged Wonka: whimsical, daft, lightly cruel and mysterious. Age has imbued it with poignancy, so that even when the Bricusse-Newley songs drag there's a great sequence or gag just round the corner. Only Aubrey Woods' very creepy Candyman at the beginning gets worse as the years go by.
December 28, 2016
a wondrous look into road dahl imagination that stays true to the book. I look forward to seeing the musical on Broadway!
½ December 27, 2016
I read the book (by Roald Dahl) to the kids and they were very taken by its wonders and its humour (and I hoped that its morality tale would sink in). Therefore, I was curious to see how they felt about the movie version (the one from my childhood, not the later Johnny Depp remake) which I recalled fondly, despite some vivid early nightmares featuring Oompa Loompas. I worried a bit that the movie's images might come to dominate what they saw with their own imaginations but it seems not to be the case -- the kids voted for the book over the movie. But perhaps that is always what happens when you read a book first? To recap, little Charlie Bucket longs for a golden ticket that will give him a tour of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and a lifetime's supply of sweets - but there are only five such tickets in the world, hidden underneath the wrappers of Wonka chocolate bars. Of course, after suspense is built, Charlie does find a ticket and he and his Grandpa Joe (Jack Albertson) are taken on a magical and sometimes scary tour of the factory by Mr. Willy Wonka himself, played with a serene sense of perfect ambivalence by Gene Wilder. Wilder is easily the best thing about the movie, giving exquisite line readings (whether absurd or menacing or bemused), although the various rooms in the factory do have a candy-coated funhouse charm to them. Surprisingly, the film didn't seem childish or particularly dated, although the haze of nostalgia might be clouding my judgment. I had forgotten however that this was a musical (apart from the scary songs sung by the Oompa Loompas after the bad children are dispatched with) and the various songs (including "Candy Man") work to bring out the fantasy elements of the film. Of course, the book didn't have the songs and some of the episodes are different (squirrels not golden geese, for example). Most significantly, Charlie and Grandpa Joe don't break the rules in the book. However, this twist does add more suspense to the film than the book and gives Wilder a chance to turn Charlie's grim disappointment into ecstatic amazement, something that every child (and adult) deserves to feel at least once.
December 21, 2016
Other than the joys of a sweet factory and being able to eat everything I'm not sure what's on offer here for kids, probably why as a child I never remember particularly enjoying it. As an adult though the first half in particular is really funny. Wilder has never been better on screen and you feel it really stays true to the twisted spirit of the Roald Dahl original. Obviously light years ahead of the Johnny Depp travesty remake.
December 12, 2016
Fantastic, Epic, Classic. One of the greatest films I have ever seen. Infinitely superior to the rehashed travesty of a mess that Follywood puked out decades later.
November 12, 2016
This movie is a fantastic work of pure imagination. There are some very memorable songs and musical numbers, all wrapped in a whimsical adventure full of everything. With added viewings, you really get all those hidden quips of dialogue or weird antics in the background. Easily one of the best musicals, it also has one of the best performances from Gene Wilder.
½ November 7, 2016
Right from the start when children run straight from school to Fickelgruber's Fudges, the feeling of freedom in a world of candy is instantly set, only to be shut off when the poor paper boy is seen peering from the outside. Then the rest of the motion picture lights up moment by moment with music as wonderful as Wonka's scrumdiddlyumptious bar. Even with the creepy moments like the poor boy eyeing curiously at the legendary factory behind closed gates, the free feeling remains with his stories of the factory told by his grandpa Joe. The songs that accompany the boy's journey are awkward at times but feel as joyful as any whipple-scrumptious fudgemallow delight.