Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

½ December 30, 2016
The story's not all that loyal to the original book and some of the effects are pretty dated, but most of the sets still look beautiful, the songs still sound very nice, and the acting still has a lot of charm. Will make you crave chocolate.
December 29, 2016
Joyful screen adaptation of Roald Dahl's beloved children's fable, almost entirely because of Gene Wilder's perfectly judged Wonka: whimsical, daft, lightly cruel and mysterious. Age has imbued it with poignancy, so that even when the Bricusse-Newley songs drag there's a great sequence or gag just round the corner. Only Aubrey Woods' very creepy Candyman at the beginning gets worse as the years go by.
December 28, 2016
a wondrous look into road dahl imagination that stays true to the book. I look forward to seeing the musical on Broadway!
½ December 27, 2016
I read the book (by Roald Dahl) to the kids and they were very taken by its wonders and its humour (and I hoped that its morality tale would sink in). Therefore, I was curious to see how they felt about the movie version (the one from my childhood, not the later Johnny Depp remake) which I recalled fondly, despite some vivid early nightmares featuring Oompa Loompas. I worried a bit that the movie's images might come to dominate what they saw with their own imaginations but it seems not to be the case -- the kids voted for the book over the movie. But perhaps that is always what happens when you read a book first? To recap, little Charlie Bucket longs for a golden ticket that will give him a tour of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and a lifetime's supply of sweets - but there are only five such tickets in the world, hidden underneath the wrappers of Wonka chocolate bars. Of course, after suspense is built, Charlie does find a ticket and he and his Grandpa Joe (Jack Albertson) are taken on a magical and sometimes scary tour of the factory by Mr. Willy Wonka himself, played with a serene sense of perfect ambivalence by Gene Wilder. Wilder is easily the best thing about the movie, giving exquisite line readings (whether absurd or menacing or bemused), although the various rooms in the factory do have a candy-coated funhouse charm to them. Surprisingly, the film didn't seem childish or particularly dated, although the haze of nostalgia might be clouding my judgment. I had forgotten however that this was a musical (apart from the scary songs sung by the Oompa Loompas after the bad children are dispatched with) and the various songs (including "Candy Man") work to bring out the fantasy elements of the film. Of course, the book didn't have the songs and some of the episodes are different (squirrels not golden geese, for example). Most significantly, Charlie and Grandpa Joe don't break the rules in the book. However, this twist does add more suspense to the film than the book and gives Wilder a chance to turn Charlie's grim disappointment into ecstatic amazement, something that every child (and adult) deserves to feel at least once.
December 21, 2016
Other than the joys of a sweet factory and being able to eat everything I'm not sure what's on offer here for kids, probably why as a child I never remember particularly enjoying it. As an adult though the first half in particular is really funny. Wilder has never been better on screen and you feel it really stays true to the twisted spirit of the Roald Dahl original. Obviously light years ahead of the Johnny Depp travesty remake.
December 12, 2016
Fantastic, Epic, Classic. One of the greatest films I have ever seen. Infinitely superior to the rehashed travesty of a mess that Follywood puked out decades later.
November 12, 2016
This movie is a fantastic work of pure imagination. There are some very memorable songs and musical numbers, all wrapped in a whimsical adventure full of everything. With added viewings, you really get all those hidden quips of dialogue or weird antics in the background. Easily one of the best musicals, it also has one of the best performances from Gene Wilder.
½ November 7, 2016
Right from the start when children run straight from school to Fickelgruber's Fudges, the feeling of freedom in a world of candy is instantly set, only to be shut off when the poor paper boy is seen peering from the outside. Then the rest of the motion picture lights up moment by moment with music as wonderful as Wonka's scrumdiddlyumptious bar. Even with the creepy moments like the poor boy eyeing curiously at the legendary factory behind closed gates, the free feeling remains with his stories of the factory told by his grandpa Joe. The songs that accompany the boy's journey are awkward at times but feel as joyful as any whipple-scrumptious fudgemallow delight.
October 31, 2016
R.I.P Gene wilder, this movie is simply a Tribute to his talent
½ October 6, 2016
Funny, uniquely strange and whimsical, Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory is a fun and entertaining adventure with a solid narrative and marks arguably the best performance of the late great Gene Wilder as the wily confectioner.
October 3, 2016
I feel like I'm dreaming each time I watch this movie. It's one of my favorites and has meant a lot to me in my life.

Definitely one of a kind, due to it's adamant surrealism, it appeals to both kids and adults.

The elusive Wonka chocolate factory is holding a worldwide contest so that 5 lucky winners can finally get a glimpse inside the factory walls and win a lifetime supply of chocolate.

It's supposed to take place in America, but maintains an industrial European feel. Charlie Bucket, our protagonist, lives with his mother and 4 grandparents. They're very poor, and rely on Charlie's paper route money to get by. Which is why Charlie wants, more than anything, to win this contest.

Anyone who's ever known they wanted something more than anyone else in the world can relate to Charlie's childlike desire to win Wonka's contest. It may seem frivolous, but that only highlights Charlie's desperation. He can only imagine luxurious things. And that ingenuous mindset is what just may give him what he needs.

The film enraptures you within the first 35 minutes, before we even get inside the magical factory. And once we're in, the film ascends to a whole new level. So full of unique ideas and concepts. Set pieces that made people depressed about the movie's fictionality long before Avatar's ever did.

And Willy Wonka, himself, portrayed by Gene Wilder, is a marvel. No other man could have given us such a brilliant performance. He's sweet, he's creepy, he's sincere, and he's mischievous. Roald Dahl's original 1964 novel could be adapted for film one thousand times over, yet Wilder will always remain exclusively synonymous with the role.

Oh yeah, and the music is phenomenally perfect.

For being a "flop" from 1971, this film holds up better than most, if not all, of its contemporaries.

Twizard Rating: 100
½ September 26, 2016
Watching the movie back now you really get to appreciate the comic genius that was Gene Wilder, and imaginative Roald Dahl.
September 24, 2016
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a whimsical, charming, touching, and sometimes even scary journey, with joyful characters, memorable songs, and a vivid, wondrous trip through a land of pure imagination.
September 21, 2016
Rather preachy which didn't score any points with me and the first half before the characters even get to the factory was rather dull. Of course Charlie is an impoverished angel and the other children are rich brats. Naturally. Still once in the chocolate factory it was entertaining enough that I'd watch again without any arguing. Though I'd hope to skip to Gene Wilder's appearance, naturally he's the best part of the film.
½ September 21, 2016
Take it as a lesson on parenting and the importance of maturity, or take it as a simple comedy centered around candy, but there is no denying it's near perfection while seeing Gene Wilder in the best performance of his career.
September 17, 2016
Seems warmer than Burtons more recent interpretation... or is that just nostalgia talking? Gene Wilder does a great job of capturing bipolar Willy.
September 16, 2016
This is a great classic. Although it barely follows the book, there is no way to dislike this movie. A+
½ September 15, 2016
Willy Wonka is as fun as a bag full of candy. Featuring outstandingly dry humor, classic songs, AMAZING world-building, and a hilariously colorful cast of characters, it's both fabulously 70s yet timelessly watchable. The plotting is naively childish, no question...however, obsession, addiction, and consumption are all sharply satirized, & Wilder's turn as the titular candy creator has enough quirky complexity for multiple kid's movies. Gentle, sad, curious, dark, funny, and purely imaginative.