Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

½ April 30, 2018
Just flat out creepy and weird, Gene Wilder is the only saving grace here as the case with Ewan Mcgregor in The Revenge Of The Sith, they both just did the best they could with bad scripts and awful concepts
April 1, 2018
The movie is filled with all kinds of hatred, stereo typing and violence!! I still can't understand who is the target audience of this!
March 31, 2018
This movie is wonderful, this is one of the best musicals of all time in my opinion and I do think this tops The Wizard of Oz. Gene Wilder is amazing at the role of Willy Wonka, he's mysterious, likable, kind (sort of), quirky and best of all a smart ass. My favorite parts of the movie is where Wonka quotes literature, songs and poems that would be considered obscure by today's standards. The other characters are great too Peter Ostrum does a great job as Charlie Bucket and the way he portrays the character acts like a real kid. I personally do think this is one of the best movies of all time, it's funny, scary (at some parts) and pretty good. Check it out.
michael e.
March 29, 2018
this is truly one of the most magical and wonderful films ever made. It has everything that makes a children classic such as wizard of oz. Gene Wilder was a perfect choice for Willy not like Johnny Depp in The Tim Burton remake. I love how the moral of the story is don't be greedy but it doesn't come out and preach it your to busy having a good time looking at everything and being entertained by everything.
½ March 26, 2018
A beautiful and dazzling spectacle!
½ March 19, 2018
The childhood film every one has seen and enjoys. Great acting, visuals, effects and story
February 17, 2018
One of my favorites. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 18, 2018
Impeccable, many aspire to write something this timeless and spot on.
December 25, 2017
A Technicolor film aimed at children (well almost!) about a contest by the magnet of a confectioner (Willy Wonka energetically played by the late Gene Wilder).
The contest involves five golden tickets hidden in the worldwide sold wrappers of the popular Wonka Bar.
Five children eventually find the tickets and they along with their guardian's are invited along to the Wonka factory for a tour of the facilities along with the promise of a lifetimes supply of chocolate.
Some of the children and guardians are interesting characters as in rather spoilt brats! I mean one child is annoyingly called Verruca Salt!
What follows is an hour or so of vividly colourful, musically interrupted adventure as Wonka aims to find the inheritor of his chocolate empire.
A pure children's film that was made in an age before CGI filled cartoon characters that seem to be all the rage nowadays and a great performance from Gene Wilder.
November 12, 2017
A very nostalgic and important part of my life. This was and is perfect in many ways
1- Gene Wilder was the best Wonka for the job.
2- The actors were very well into their roles.
3- The music was sweet.
4- It was funny, dark, sweet, scary, and mysterious.
5- The sceneries were very well made for a movie of the 70s.
Everyone has their own opinions about things, but in my opinion, this is the best Willy Wonka film, that all people need to see.
½ November 12, 2017
Willy Wonka I would consider is a fantasy movie I really did think the music was good it was pretty interesting to watch Gene wilder did a good job playing Willy Wonka is a good singer the songs were good in the movie always keep in mind they made the book of this movie.

Hay they made a remake of the movie that came out in 2005 staring Johnny Depp! I like the 2005 more! This one was ok
October 8, 2017
This movie is a classic, I remember this movie on VHS after My mom record this movie on The Disney Channel when I was a kid. but I really love this movie so much
October 7, 2017
love this movie so much
September 10, 2017
I don't think I'll ever get tired of rewatching this movie. I've always been a fan of musicals and I think it was this movie that got me into them - and into the dystopia genre. There's an dark vibe under all the cheerful singing and the kids getting potentially bumped off in various creative ways is often treated with a shrug. Definitely Roald Dahl's best work.
September 6, 2017
Despite its lack of faithfulness to the source material, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory stands on its own merits making a truly wonderful and unique movie. Gene Wilder is great in the role of the titular character delivering a magical performance as a guy who murders asshole children in front of their parents. I've been checking out a lot of fan theories on Reddit lately. The songs are memorable with the Oompa Loompa songs and Wilder's "Pure Imagination" song being the best songs in the move IMO. Seeing all these fictional sweets being translated to a movie makes them look even more inviting and I think I'd go on the drug/hell boat tunnel ride because of my weakness which is anything similar to an amusement park. Thanks to its visuals that stand the test of time, great songs and Gene Wilder's captivating performance as the possible serial killer, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory remains a classic film adaptation of Roald Dahl's beloved book.
½ September 3, 2017
Gene Wilder is a genius, and he makes us love this magical film that may not be as well polished as it could have been but has a lovely charm of its own and has become a cult childhood favorite for so many people - like a younger sibling of The Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins.
August 17, 2017
Best musical of all time!! PERFECT!
August 7, 2017
How could any movie have a happier ending then this movie? Best kids movie of all time.
August 6, 2017
You can have the Johnny Depp version. Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka. Making a remake was sacrilege.
½ July 16, 2017
Not the worst film ever but certainly not the best. People who haven't read the book will definitely enjoy it more than people who have, because of the amount of things that were changed.