Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

August 7, 2017
How could any movie have a happier ending then this movie? Best kids movie of all time.
August 6, 2017
You can have the Johnny Depp version. Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka. Making a remake was sacrilege.
½ July 16, 2017
Not the worst film ever but certainly not the best. People who haven't read the book will definitely enjoy it more than people who have, because of the amount of things that were changed.
June 26, 2017
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a delightful film full of heart, laughter and pure imagination for the young and the young at heart. Gene Wilder made this movie famous for his one liner jokes and being sarcastic at times but it's all in good fun. I highly recommend this film to everyone regardless of your age. Brilliant cast, Easy storyline to follow and very catchy songs. The film that Gene Wilder will be most famous for in his acting career
June 13, 2017
A dazzling entertainment.
½ June 1, 2017
Brilliantly colourful and wonderfully acted, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory stills proves wildly entertaining.
May 14, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies.
May 1, 2017
Not my favorite movie, the signing was good but that's all
April 23, 2017
OK, there are bizarre narrative decisions that might frighten younger children (such as the scary tunnel scene or several disturbing things that happen to the children), still it's a well-deserved staple of most families from the 70's up to today. An indelible part of the culture for those that grew up in that era since it was on TV all the time-and one that made Gene Wilder a legend of boisterous kookiness. Memorable music, Willy Wonka is a fable in the vein of the Wizard of Oz.
April 5, 2017
Now this is where it's at, get the hell out, emo Willy Wonka and your crappy remake! This movie is more colorful and not as EMOOO!
March 20, 2017
As good as the book, better than Burton's dull and lifeless re-make.
½ March 10, 2017
Rating: 9/10

The music is classic. The set design spectacular. And Gene Wilder is pure magic in this wonderful family classic that is, as it sings, pure imagination.
March 7, 2017
Willy Wonka has a big Wonka!
March 3, 2017
RIP Gene Wilder 1933-2016
February 8, 2017
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory is a strange, but charming movie with performances from Gene Wilder and Jack Albertson
½ December 30, 2016
The story's not all that loyal to the original book and some of the effects are pretty dated, but most of the sets still look beautiful, the songs still sound very nice, and the acting still has a lot of charm. Will make you crave chocolate.
December 29, 2016
Joyful screen adaptation of Roald Dahl's beloved children's fable, almost entirely because of Gene Wilder's perfectly judged Wonka: whimsical, daft, lightly cruel and mysterious. Age has imbued it with poignancy, so that even when the Bricusse-Newley songs drag there's a great sequence or gag just round the corner. Only Aubrey Woods' very creepy Candyman at the beginning gets worse as the years go by.
December 28, 2016
a wondrous look into road dahl imagination that stays true to the book. I look forward to seeing the musical on Broadway!
½ December 27, 2016
I read the book (by Roald Dahl) to the kids and they were very taken by its wonders and its humour (and I hoped that its morality tale would sink in). Therefore, I was curious to see how they felt about the movie version (the one from my childhood, not the later Johnny Depp remake) which I recalled fondly, despite some vivid early nightmares featuring Oompa Loompas. I worried a bit that the movie's images might come to dominate what they saw with their own imaginations but it seems not to be the case -- the kids voted for the book over the movie. But perhaps that is always what happens when you read a book first? To recap, little Charlie Bucket longs for a golden ticket that will give him a tour of Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory and a lifetime's supply of sweets - but there are only five such tickets in the world, hidden underneath the wrappers of Wonka chocolate bars. Of course, after suspense is built, Charlie does find a ticket and he and his Grandpa Joe (Jack Albertson) are taken on a magical and sometimes scary tour of the factory by Mr. Willy Wonka himself, played with a serene sense of perfect ambivalence by Gene Wilder. Wilder is easily the best thing about the movie, giving exquisite line readings (whether absurd or menacing or bemused), although the various rooms in the factory do have a candy-coated funhouse charm to them. Surprisingly, the film didn't seem childish or particularly dated, although the haze of nostalgia might be clouding my judgment. I had forgotten however that this was a musical (apart from the scary songs sung by the Oompa Loompas after the bad children are dispatched with) and the various songs (including "Candy Man") work to bring out the fantasy elements of the film. Of course, the book didn't have the songs and some of the episodes are different (squirrels not golden geese, for example). Most significantly, Charlie and Grandpa Joe don't break the rules in the book. However, this twist does add more suspense to the film than the book and gives Wilder a chance to turn Charlie's grim disappointment into ecstatic amazement, something that every child (and adult) deserves to feel at least once.
December 21, 2016
Other than the joys of a sweet factory and being able to eat everything I'm not sure what's on offer here for kids, probably why as a child I never remember particularly enjoying it. As an adult though the first half in particular is really funny. Wilder has never been better on screen and you feel it really stays true to the twisted spirit of the Roald Dahl original. Obviously light years ahead of the Johnny Depp travesty remake.