Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Reviews

September 10, 2017
I don't think I'll ever get tired of rewatching this movie. I've always been a fan of musicals and I think it was this movie that got me into them - and into the dystopia genre. There's an dark vibe under all the cheerful singing and the kids getting potentially bumped off in various creative ways is often treated with a shrug. Definitely Roald Dahl's best work.
September 6, 2017
Despite its lack of faithfulness to the source material, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory stands on its own merits making a truly wonderful and unique movie. Gene Wilder is great in the role of the titular character delivering a magical performance as a guy who murders asshole children in front of their parents. I've been checking out a lot of fan theories on Reddit lately. The songs are memorable with the Oompa Loompa songs and Wilder's "Pure Imagination" song being the best songs in the move IMO. Seeing all these fictional sweets being translated to a movie makes them look even more inviting and I think I'd go on the drug/hell boat tunnel ride because of my weakness which is anything similar to an amusement park. Thanks to its visuals that stand the test of time, great songs and Gene Wilder's captivating performance as the possible serial killer, Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory remains a classic film adaptation of Roald Dahl's beloved book.
½ September 3, 2017
Gene Wilder is a genius, and he makes us love this magical film that may not be as well polished as it could have been but has a lovely charm of its own and has become a cult childhood favorite for so many people - like a younger sibling of The Wizard of Oz and Mary Poppins.
August 17, 2017
Best musical of all time!! PERFECT!
August 7, 2017
How could any movie have a happier ending then this movie? Best kids movie of all time.
August 6, 2017
You can have the Johnny Depp version. Gene Wilder is Willy Wonka. Making a remake was sacrilege.
½ July 16, 2017
Not the worst film ever but certainly not the best. People who haven't read the book will definitely enjoy it more than people who have, because of the amount of things that were changed.
June 26, 2017
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is a delightful film full of heart, laughter and pure imagination for the young and the young at heart. Gene Wilder made this movie famous for his one liner jokes and being sarcastic at times but it's all in good fun. I highly recommend this film to everyone regardless of your age. Brilliant cast, Easy storyline to follow and very catchy songs. The film that Gene Wilder will be most famous for in his acting career
June 13, 2017
A dazzling entertainment.
½ June 1, 2017
Brilliantly colourful and wonderfully acted, Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory stills proves wildly entertaining.
May 14, 2017
One of my all time favorite movies.
May 1, 2017
Not my favorite movie, the signing was good but that's all
April 23, 2017
OK, there are bizarre narrative decisions that might frighten younger children (such as the scary tunnel scene or several disturbing things that happen to the children), still it's a well-deserved staple of most families from the 70's up to today. An indelible part of the culture for those that grew up in that era since it was on TV all the time-and one that made Gene Wilder a legend of boisterous kookiness. Memorable music, Willy Wonka is a fable in the vein of the Wizard of Oz.
April 5, 2017
Now this is where it's at, get the hell out, emo Willy Wonka and your crappy remake! This movie is more colorful and not as EMOOO!
March 20, 2017
As good as the book, better than Burton's dull and lifeless re-make.
½ March 10, 2017
Rating: 9/10

The music is classic. The set design spectacular. And Gene Wilder is pure magic in this wonderful family classic that is, as it sings, pure imagination.
March 7, 2017
Willy Wonka has a big Wonka!
March 3, 2017
RIP Gene Wilder 1933-2016
February 8, 2017
Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Factory is a strange, but charming movie with performances from Gene Wilder and Jack Albertson
½ December 30, 2016
The story's not all that loyal to the original book and some of the effects are pretty dated, but most of the sets still look beautiful, the songs still sound very nice, and the acting still has a lot of charm. Will make you crave chocolate.