Wings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wings Reviews

½ January 11, 2017
Notable today for being the first film to win the Academy Award for best picture, but I didn't find it easy to watch. Time hasn't been kind to Wings. While some technical aspects may be impressive for its time, it is completely lacking in entertainment value. (First and only viewing - 2/7/2011)
October 20, 2016
One of the greatest silent films ever made.
September 10, 2016
Clara Bow is absolutely incredible. She has a screen presence that's beyond description and is larger than life. She lights up the silver screen and doesn't need sound to convey her thoughts or emotions. She is mesmerizing to watch and she'll steal your heart.
March 9, 2016
The first movie to ever win Best Picture, "Wings" is a cinema milestone and should be revered as one of the most important movies in history.
½ February 28, 2016
An incredibly ambitious, heartbreaking and influential film. With innovative camerawork, simplistic sentimentality, a classic plot, and a lack of certainty in its morality, it has all the makings of a real "best picture" winner.
February 3, 2016
Not even finished with it yet, but Top Gun and the like have absolutely nothing on this amazing piece of work, that truly deserved to be the first Best Picture.
½ January 16, 2016
I just saw WINGS, the first film to win the Oscar for best picture in 1928. It was a silent film but they added some sound effects to the restoration. They did a good job restoring it. It's a dated and a bit cheesy especially the part where one of the characters gets drunk. The main plot is two men from the same town, one rich and one poor, in love with the same women enlist in the Army air corp in WWI. The ariel cinematography and the plane battles were really good, especially for its time. It's worthwhile seeing once, despite its flaws.
January 16, 2016
The movie turned out to be much richer than I expected it to be.
January 5, 2016
I can certainly see why this won the first ever best picture oscar. I bet there weren't many directors out there that knew how to make a film like this. The war scenes were very realistic, for 1927. One of the best silent films I've seen.
December 22, 2015
1920's Paris was a real treat to see in this silent film. The story is unimportant-- this is a visual feast!
½ September 2, 2015
Its shadow fell, in some degree, on every living person.

Two men have no choice but to join the army during World War I. They decide to both become fighter pilots and they become the best at what they do...and bitter rivals. Their love for the same girl's heart makes it harder for them to work together during battle. They will need to overcome their differences or it may cost one of them their lives.

"If this guy needs kissing, I'll kiss him...with a gun butt! Now fall in line!"

William Wellman, director of A Star is Born, The Ox-Bow Incident, Public Enemy, Battleground, Blood Alley, Yellow Shy, and the Iron Curtain, delivers Wings. The storyline for this picture is interesting and fun to watch unfold but stagnant in parts and a bit dated. The acting is pretty good and the cast includes Charles Rogers, Richard Arlen, Gary Cooper, Roscoe Karns, and Clara Bow.

"Here's the way to uncork a right!"

I came across this old Gary Cooper movie on Netflix and decided to add it to the queue. This was okay and fun to watch play out for a movie from the era. This 140 minute run time was a bit long but the overall premise was well executed. I would only watch this if nothing better is on.

"I'm just as American as you! I'll show you!"

Grade: B-
September 1, 2015
Decided to watch this old film due to it being the first ever recipient of the Academy Award for Best Picture. As I've never watched a silent film before (or much of anything from this era) I didn't know what to expect and I'll admit my expectations weren't set too high. I'm glad to say that I thought the movie was great, especially considering the limitations of the time. While the backstory of two young men competing for one woman's affections came off to me as fluff that never really seemed important, the awesome aerial combat footage more than made up for it. The movie was directed by William Wellman who was a WWI combat pilot himself so I would expect nothing less. I found Jack and David's characters likeable and I didn't mind Clara Bow's part, Mary, though I did think she was a sort of a pathetic creature. And speaking of Jack; just how drunk, exactly, do you have to be to see bubbles shooting out of women's faces and bed posts? Damn man.
Overall, great movie. The dogfighting and combat were engaging, action packed, and had an amazingly authentic feel like you were really watching First World War combat footage. I recommend.
August 5, 2015
Simple, powerful storytelling.
July 27, 2015
Emotional, stirring, and profound with innovative battle sequences, Wings is one of the finest achievements of the silent era!
½ July 20, 2015
Winner of the first Best picture for academy awards. is this one of the better silent films I've seen? Yes, that being said this movie is sooo long. I could've done without so much battle scenes, but eh whatever I got the point and at least they were well done. The story went along nicely and the scripting was great that they displayed. The musical score was great. The battle scenes which were done before cgi or most special effects looked amazing. You could tell a lot of time, money, and overall effort went into making this film. I'm sure it was groundbreaking for the time. I really liked the main girl character-charming. A good act to follow for future film makers.
July 14, 2015
What you see is what you get! Since it was made in 1927, so of course no fancy computer special effect. It was real flying with no green screen! The actors had to learn to fly airplanes and then they would have camera attached to their airplanes. It's a dangerous movies to make. The director was a former pilot and he had to choreographed every flying scenes carefully and the results were amazing! The battle scenes on the ground was also amazing and I'm sure it was so extremely difficult to choreograph everything and there were so many things happened at once! The movie was quite dark and risque for it's time and now it's one of the best silent movies I've ever seen. Not only that, it's now become one of my favorite movies of all time. This movie was the first one to win academy award.
½ June 29, 2015
Starring Clara Bow, Richard Arlen and Charles "Buddy" Rogers. The first film to win the Best Picture Oscar remains of interest due to its impressive aerial sequences. The requisite but silly romantic subplot is completely disposable, though, and the film suffers for it. A young Gary Cooper is memorable in a brief but important role. Directed by William Wellman.
June 10, 2015
Dated but the dog fighting scenes are still spectacular. The rest is a bromance and a nod to the girl next door under the fog of war.
May 29, 2015
Pretty remarkable, especially given the year it was made. The effects and the way it was shot is very impressive. Not to mention Clar Bow! She is a vision.. The first winner of the Best Picture at the Academy Awards.
May 20, 2015
Not only a beautiful, entertaining crowd-pleaser.. but a truly brilliant film.