Wizards Reviews

• Aug 12, 2019

Didn't enjoy this one in the least as the story was all over the place and didn't seem to amount to much along with the characters

• Jun 03, 2019

A brilliant (yet odd) film from start to finish. Bakshi's tale of a dystopian world of sword and sorcery will keep you in your seat until the very end.

• Apr 24, 2019

The Nazi subplot is ridiculous. Clearly made by a hardcore Jew. A silly, scattered mess.

• Apr 03, 2019

Ralph Bakshi was an innovative visionary ahead of his time. Where some might see haphazard, or even being sloppy many of us see wonderful art. Wizards is a dark, poignant, and prophetic fantasy film about the dangers of a State industrialized war machine-well ahead of his time. Ralphï¿ 1/2 1/2 1/2(TM)s experience as a child of refugees from WWII and the fears of Nazi germany absolutely influenced this fantastic animated film.

• Jan 11, 2019

BORING! Infantile story, drawing, jokes. Couldn't watch it all the way through

BORING! Infantile story, drawing, jokes. Couldn't watch it all the way through

• Jan 10, 2019

Classic tale of good versus evil through the eyes of Bakshi. This is among my favorites of his films and is likely less offensive than the uninitiated would find his other works. I imagine most of the people who didn't like this would be absolutely horrified by most of his other films. Folks seem to be down with Bakshi or they're not; I'm definitely one of the former.

• Nov 17, 2018

Wizards was a welcome change in pace for Ralph Bakshi who finally moved away from urban dramas to create his first fantasy picture and the results are solid and one of his best, but still frustratingly flawed. The film is unsubtle in its thematic approach and the middle parts are lacking in terms of plot development and pacing. The characterization is also quite weak. However, the animation is very strong, the premise is excellent and the film gives us an outstanding, well detailed and vast world thanks to evident attention to detail and terrific world building. It definitely needed a longer runtime to properly capitalize on its epic nature.

• Jul 15, 2018

Wizards, while smaller and lesser-known, is still a magnificent example of classic animation. It's eccentric, thought-provoking, colorful, whimsical, dark, and above all, weird. Nearly everything about Wizards is weird, from the stereotypical but fun fantasy characters, the mixing of animation styles, the WW2 messages, and the strange surrealism scenes that seems slightly like Lord of the Rings drug trips. Ralph Bakshi is truly a master of his craft, and there is maybe no better film of his to truly state that than Wizards. If you can hunt it down, see it.

• Jun 02, 2018

Aside from the occasional rotoscoping, a groundbreaking, fascinating animated movie.

• Nov 17, 2017

Not like anything I've ever seen but even a few drinks couldn't make this a trip.