A Woman Under the Influence - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Woman Under the Influence Reviews

October 20, 2016
Sometimes uncomfortable. Always acutely depicted real-life drama focussing on emotions and motivations. The precursor to Blue Valentine and any movie with long cuts and intimate close ups. Reality movie making. With people you care about. My first Cassavetes film and I understand his fame. Honestly, if you hear a director's name oft spoken, it's for worthy and deserving reason.
July 31, 2016
One strange as fuck movie. Mental illness has never been explored in a way like here. It's extremely meandering but perhaps that's what gives it its descent into madness in such a memorable way. I've only seen it once and Cassavettes is way too much to take in one time to make a great opinion, but this film is unlike anything else.
June 10, 2016
A Woman Under the Influence is one of director John Cassavete's greatest films, made even more astounding by intense performances from Mr. Falk and Ms. Rowlands.
½ May 24, 2016
Aptly taps into the granular, personal stories that have defined independent cinema for decades.
February 15, 2016
Vlam in de top tien best movies ever made.
January 5, 2016
Cassavetes deserves a lot of credit for this film because it is so convincing but most of the credit should go to Gena Rowlands who was very impressive. The story is a bit slow and ultimately dissatisfying but it is still a classic, underrated, film.
December 21, 2015
cam lung si cam proaste personalitatile. nuia iesit
becareful with culture programming. socially accepted attachments / obsessions
½ December 4, 2015
The self-proclaimed hipsters and 'indie' film watchers of our generation have probably never heard of the 1974 film directed by John Cassavetes, A Woman Under the Influence (and if they have, props to them). I hadn't heard of it until I did some research on the best Independent films of all time and it came up on top in several lists. I was intrigued, watched it, and came to the conclusion that this movie is a perfect example of what an Independent film should be: a work of art.

A Woman Under the Influence is the story of Mabel Longhetti (played by Gena Rowlands - wife to the director), a suburban wife and mother, who is mentally unstable. She's crazy, and unusual, which you can see from the start. And her husband, Nick (played by Peter Falk - our generation may know him as the grandfather in The Princess Bride), sends her away to a mental institution for six months.

This film is full of so much emotion, and that is partly because of the budget. Budgets are something that matter when it comes to these types of films. The budget calls for things to be simpler - costumes and sets, props and makeup, music and lighting, and so on. For example, the house in the movie was an actual house that they borrowed for the movie. They didn't go out and build a new house because it simply wasn't in the budget.

(A Woman Under the Influence was a low budget movie, costing only $500,000 to make. This is a drastically lower budget than, say, The Godfather: Part II - which came out the same year - with a budget of $13,000,000.)

The movie almost seems like a more realistic reality to me because the budget was so low. There are no special effects, no fancy lighting techniques, no fancy sets; everything is raw and natural, which makes the aesthetic of the movie so unique.

This movie, like other independent films, is a work of art that captures something real, and address things that large budget, big-hit blockbusters do not address. Movies from that time never really addressed mental illness in the way A Woman Under the Influence does, or any way for that matter, which is one reason that this movie makes such a good film: it challenges the conventional way that mental illness was being portrayed in mass media.

I absolutely recommend this movie. Though, I'll admit it's not for everyone, it sure is a film that lovers of independent films should watch. It's sad, it's dark, and it's a rollercoaster of emotion, leaving you with teary, yet opened eyes. The film is a work of art, just as an Independent movie should be.
November 22, 2015
Gena Rowlands is just a goddamn powerhouse. Rich, dark, complex and sad- a portrait of women in society as much as a portrait of mental illness and how we deal with it.
October 8, 2015
Possibly Cassavetes best all-around film after Faces. Gena Rowlands and Peter Falk are hauntingly good as the leads.
½ September 15, 2015
A wonderful performance from Gena Rowlands that could have won her an Oscar any other year but was no match to Ellen Burstyn in Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore.
½ July 22, 2015
Nick Longhetti: Mabel is not crazy, she's unusual. She's not crazy, so don't say she's crazy.

Mabel es una mujer, madre y esposa que sufre de una enfermedad mental. Todos lo saben menos ella que vive en su mundo como si nada pasara. Su enfermedad se ha vuelto su realidad. Nick es su esposo, y es quien se encarga de mantener algo de normalidad en la casa. La ama y de una u otra manera le permite estas conductas poco sanas. Juntos tienen dos hijos. No es hasta que Mabel es institucionalizada, que es evidente que Nick lidia con sus propios demonios, y Mabel, al no poder lograr el rol que la sociedad espera de ella como mujer, es castigada, mientras que la conducta de Nick es normalizada.

John Cassavetes es considerado el director americano más influyente de todos los tiempos. Es la primera película que veo dirigida por él, y me impresionó el realismo de sus personajes y las situaciones. Es tan real que resulta doloroso ver los problemas de esta familia, y la negación en la que se encuentran. Son disfuncionales pero de alguna manera sobreviven dentro de su locura. A pesar de la gran historia y guión, la estrella son las actuaciones. Gena Rowlands interpretando a Mabel es una de las mejores actuaciones femeninas que he visto. Se entregó totalmente a este papel, y es imposible no empatizar con ella, y más allá de sus problemas, es trágico el poco apoyo que tiene, y por está razón vemos que no va a tener un final feliz, y Peter Falk como Nick se roba la pantalla. Entre él y Rowland, son una fuerza poderosa, y es imposible quitar los ojos se la pantalla, sobretodo en las escenas donde interactúan ellos dos. Es triste ver el amor que se tienen, pero son incapaces de ayudarse, ya que cada uno está roto en su propia manera.

Esta es una historia trágica, de como los roles de género dentro de una familia tiene efectos devastadores, y el tabú que existe con las enfermedades mentales. Hoy más que nunca, A Woman Under the Influence se encuentra vigente.
December 5, 2014
Think of a cross between an Ingmar Bergman chamber drama, a neo-realist film, a documentary, and something else. Indelible, with a great performance from Gena Rowlands.
November 22, 2014
one of the 25 best movies I have ever seen!
½ November 15, 2014
Hard to watch personally because the material is really relatable with my family, but the acting was just wow
½ November 11, 2014
Long, harrowing, excellent.
½ October 8, 2014
Cassavettes shows a disfunctional family that throws the audience into a emotional ride that lasts even after the movie has finished. The main character is Mabel, played wonderfully by Gena Rowlands. She makes the viewer feel sad and frustrated whenever his husband yells or her mother in law shouts at her, one can sense all the stress she is struggling with. That's what the movie is about: the lack of freedom that the woman has in his own home or even society; even if she wants to just be herself she is pushed around and forced to act in a certain, socialy accepted, way. Definitely, Cassavetes at his very best.
September 18, 2014
Gena Rowlands and Peter Falk each give one of the best performances I've ever seen, and they just eat up each scene they are in. Both are unpredictable in their behavior, with Rowlands expressing a childlike demeanor that is both whimsical and disturbing, and Falk giving an exhausting performance that is borderline psychotic and tiring. It's a film that explores mental health in such a vivid manner that it seems all too real, and by placing us in the shoes of both Falk and Rowland's characters, it's hard to tell which person is actually the crazy one at times. One of the greatest films I've ever seen.
September 17, 2014
All scene in this movie is miracle.
June 7, 2014
A sympathetic and direct look at mental health issues, and the effect that they have on a family and those on their fringe. Their desperate attempts to keep things under control while Mabel (and the family) slowly unravels is heart breaking. Shows brilliantly how every day is a struggle, on a knife's edge, for people with mental health problems.