Wonder Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Wonder Boys Reviews

½ October 1, 2016
It's a good movie, but these ratings are a little high.
August 29, 2016
I think it will resonate with older viewers, especially those that make a living writing (or at least try). This one is a polished gem in every sense. It did not do well in two releases and I'm guessing it was in part due to its limited audience, but there are many films like Shawshank and others that have had similar fates only to be appreciated later. Script, cast and production are all 5 stars IMO. A classic.
June 17, 2016
I love this film. I can watch it over and over. I have shown it to others who haven't loved it - which is disappointing. But if you enjoy great dialogue, running jokes, incredible character development - even the minor roles - and a really fun story, I hope you like Wonder Boys. The film is basically a long weekend with some kooky characters doing kooky stuff. You're never really sure where it's going because it doesn't easily fall into a category. Trying to explain the plot ruins the fun. Amazing performances, great sound track (Bob Dylan penned a new song "Things have changed" for the film) anachronistic set pieces lend it a timeless feeling - "one hell of a nutty ride".
½ May 14, 2016
Really well done. Probably Michael Douglas's best performance of the past 20 years. Great performances from Robert Downey Jr. And Tobey Maguire too. Not much of a story, it's more about the love of the written word and great character development surrounding this college world.
February 12, 2016
2016-02-12 synposis is wrong, he and James aren't trying to find it, James stole it. but pretty good overall.
February 1, 2016
very stoner-noir, which I love, yet, it transcends the mold ....
January 21, 2016
at first I didn't want to watch the movie, but quickly found myself immersed in the story. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
January 17, 2016
I was quite impressed by Michael Douglas who usually has a habit of winding me up with his smugness. This was a much more humble performance. A decent little story but nothing too special, or memorable.
½ December 29, 2015
A superb performance from Michael Douglas. Exceedingly enjoyable and well acted. Not sure why I had not seen this until now.
November 12, 2015
Great lead performances, directed by Curtis Hanson, Wonder Boys is one of my favorite movies of all time.
September 6, 2015
A great movie with a winning performance from Michael Douglas. I wish he did more movies like this these days. Tobey Maguire was also good and Frances McDormand had some nice scenes. Great screenplay and good soundtrack made by Bob Dylan
July 26, 2015
This is a WONDERFUL film and I am appalled that the box off ice was poor. There is so much crap churned out on a daily basis and this little gem deserves your full attention.
½ May 27, 2015
Funny,quirky dark comedy that's a very well acted little gem.
March 20, 2015
As a writer I love this movie. I don't know how anyone could not like it. Funny, smart, great depictions, and everything ties together. You couldn't ask for better performances.
November 12, 2014
September 8, 2014
Loved this film, all the quirky characters are quite charming rather than being annoying, which can easily happen in an ensemble piece like this one, where every character can come off like the wacky neighbor in a sit-com.

This, however, was simply delightful.

Well worth a look, recommended.
July 2, 2014
This film always gets me: rare, wondrous and laden with gentle hilarity
May 20, 2014
Thought this was one of those "must see" movies. Maybe I am thinking another movie?? Its got 81% on Rotten Tomatoes so critics seem to like it. I wasn't really a fan.
May 18, 2014
It's a shame this marvelous comedy bombed at the box office.
May 9, 2014
This was pretty good. How could it not be with the calibre of actors involved. Its foremost a character study and then a comedy, although I didn't find it particularly funny it is a 'fun' story (?) Michael Douglas plays a burnt out professor trying to finish his next "great" novel. He's also having an affair and over one weekend his world implodes. Tobey Maguire is incredible as the ever elusive James, one of his students and I also liked R Downey here. This was made back before he got so full of himself (Ironman) and he's excellent as an editor with questionable taste in (tall) women. The blind dog storyline was shocking and not so nice, I enjoyed the Marilyn Monroe jacket idea. Kate Holmes was completely forgettable. 05.03.14