Won't Back Down - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Won't Back Down Reviews

June 10, 2017
As someone who struggled quite a bit in high school I'm excited to see this issue coming into the mainstream. It's hard for people to understand that if you're not the type of kid who can shut up and follow instructions public school might not be for you. If my child doesn't learn as quick as others than it would kill me to have to send them to a public school where they will get trapped in the same old cycle of apathetic teachers, social structures (jocks, preps) and no protection between students. Trailer looks great to this film and looks like an overall great movie!
July 20, 2016
Another movie that proves a stellar cast always comes out on top. I feel like movies like this have been told a million times & the subject matter here is fairly boring, but with leads like Maggie Gyllenhaal & Viola Davis - even I couldn't leave till it finished.
February 23, 2016
The movie means well with decent performances but suffers from a bland script and bad direction. It isn't engaging at all. I seen a lot of good movies like this. Won't back down doesn't make the grade.
½ November 11, 2015
This movie haded it's ups and downs, but it was good acted and was an angaging story. Sometimes it fell of topic, I did not know what was going on, and sometimes I think they take it over the limit for the school laws. As that being said I give " Won't Back Down " a Solid C-.
September 17, 2015
Verklighetsbaserad och peppig story!
September 13, 2015
Beautiful! Loved it!
½ August 27, 2015
A very inspirational and heartwarming drama. Yet despite its best efforts and good performances, there's a lack of captivating events that makes it boring.
½ June 4, 2015
Viola Davis is as solid as ever in this family drama with a powerful message.
May 30, 2015
It wants so badly to inspire, but it feels false and far too much like a made for TV movie to take on any realistic commentary.
May 13, 2015
I understand the union world, but I also understand the needs of a child. if a school is rating an "F", then you have to see beyond the politics & see the faces of the future and what is being contributed to it. shows strength, courage & the sheer will of pushing through the nos to all the potentials.
April 8, 2015
awesome gr8 casted chick pic
December 20, 2014
It was a bit predictable but no less exhilarating to share in their triumph for the good of the children. We would all like to believe that determination and conviction when supported by decent like minded people can make anything possible⦠and provide for some strong friendships.
½ December 13, 2014
Won't Back Down certainly deserves props for tackling tough educational issues such as the state of urban schools, and what kind of schools are better: traditional public schools or lottery-based charter schools.

The performances in the film are great, particularly from Maggie Gyllenhaal as a poor, single mother who wants to get her daughter the best education possible, and Viola Davis, a teacher who has lost her inspiration and struggles to get it back. Oscar Isaac is also good here, but the romantic subplot of him and Maggie Gyllenhaal is where the movie's negatives begin to outweigh the positives.

Aside from the unnecessary romantic suplot, the film also suffers by providing a very one-sided look at the education system. Several of the teachers in this film, particularly the one who teaches Maggie Gyllenhaal's daughter, are the kind of people who shouldn't be teaching in the first place. However, it's implied that they are the primary reason the school is failing. Bad teachers can be a cause of a school failing, but bad parents can also be as well, and I wish the film could have represented that as well.

In real life, teachers unions are not perfect, and like anything, they can fall prey to corruption. However, this film insultingly vilifies teachers' unions to the point that it becomes cartoonish and unrealistic. It's kind of like the anti-Norma Rae. This time, the union is the villain instead of the hero.

Lastly, the film's take on the controversial issue of charter schools is admirable, but also simplistic and naive. It implies that replacing an old, failing school with a new charter school is a scientifically-proven miracle, when in reality, charter school are just like other schools: some are good, and work really well, while others are not.

I guess what I'm trying to ultimately say here is that: fixing educational problems is not a simple issue, and one solution does not automatically fix everything as this film implies. And educational problems do not have one root cause as this film also implies. Next time, filmmakers need to explore BOTH sides of the story. Unlike Star Wars or Harry Potter, this is not the kind of battlefield where there is an absolute clear-cut hero and villain. 5/10.
November 19, 2014
Such a great film. Teachers that show sincere concern and personal interest for each of their students are truly great and admirable.
November 3, 2014
good it boost optimistism, good film
½ September 29, 2014
Well-intentioned drama about parents who fight for a better education for their kids. (First and only viewing - 9/29/2014)
September 28, 2014
Great movie! All parents should watch it!
September 17, 2014
A movie I completely relate to. As a child I struggled with school and was pushed through the system. I REFUSED TO LET THIS HAPPEN TO/WITH MY DAUGHTER. I am her advocate. I WON'T BACK DOWN.
September 13, 2014
There's some small truths in this flick. Since it's so choppy it misses the mark.
½ September 1, 2014
Good movie and interesting story about trying to change a poor school system