Woodshock Reviews

• Oct 17, 2020

such a beautiful movie. kirsten picks such visually appealing movies to be in. joe cole & rodarte def don't hurt, but the forest / architecture was honestly so gorgeous.

• Jul 22, 2020

Movies made by non-moviemakers suffer greatly because of their inability to translate their vision into something that works in the genre. This movie is a case in point. Within seconds I knew a LOT about the filmmakers before researching this film on Wikipedia, which incidentally I had to do to find out what the plot of this movie even was. They were two artsy-fartsy hipster girls who grew up about big redwood trees and clearly had a LOT of blurry black and white photos of close ups of sea shells and tree bark in carefully labelled boxes in their apartment. One Google search confirmed that, adding that they were fashion designers - the only thing I couldn't infer from this interminable string of Instagram photos set to minimalist hipster droning music they called a film. What was this movie about? Redwood trees. Close ups of eyeballs. A girl sitting on a toilet lid with her arms around her knees while a shower's running. Neon signs. People smoking pot. Hipster party. Dream sequence. Pot. Redwood trees. Not making that up. I say this at the risk of being unkind and maybe sounding even a bit misogynist, but this is every "slightly crazy art school girl" cliche thrown together, including a kindly older hippie side character in a T-shirt and blazer. In the same way that Rob Zombie really needed the work of a good scriptwriter to complement his stunning visual sense (as opposed to indulging "what if the good guy was the bad guy, and what if we made two movies into one") these two girls really, REALLY needed some collaborator to tone down their desire to set "I'm an angsty hip girl teenager who nobody understands and my feelings" to celluloid. Film is a visual medium, but it's not just about the visuals. I say this because it's very difficult to understand what actually happens in this film. In between pushover dishrag hipster boyfriends and co-workers who have no problem with the central character disappearing for ages and not showing up to work on time, a central character literally sleepwalking through the film like a zombie on Rohypnol (could you stare into the middle distance more ARTSY for this scene?) draping herself over random objects every now and then, and random "artsy" shots of found objects it's very difficult to follow that this is supposed to be about someone's guilt over assisting a suicide. Marijuana pervades the film, there's a vial of secret liquid that gets added to certain joints - and depending on the plot it either kills the smoker or simply makes her have artsy dream sequences like a more laid back Gaspar Noe. (Wikipedia confirms it's a lethal poison, but why it doesn't kill the main character makes as much sense as the rest of the movie). By the way, that is the ENTIRE plot of the film. It's not a spoiler to tell you something you can't reasonably infer from trying to suffer through watching this. The sad thing is, you can tell what they were going for - a non-traditional narrative from a female-centric, mood and feelings as opposed to action and conflict perspective. The biggest problem there is that if you want to talk about what's going on inside a character's head without dialog, conflict or action you should be writing a book. But books can't have diaphanous flowy clothes, shots of redwood trees, Instagram "shot through nicotine yellow" filter sequences in hipster dive bars, blurry slightly off-focus shots of neon marijuana leaf signs or drony shoe-gazing hipster music. And the net result is one and a half hours of tedious, pretentious found object photography and a female lead who showed more emotional depth and range at the age of 12 in Interview With The Vampire. I wanted to like this, and I am as frustrated as they certainly were to realize that it was beautiful to look at and an attempt to do something different but it just failed to hit the mark. The sad thing is, if they'd cut out half the film and replaced it with making-of framing scenes with Will Ferrell doing a bit about an artsy girl filmmaker nobody really understands, you know? the serious-as-cancer footage that comprises this film would be a hysterically funny straight-man counterpoint a la Zoolander. It's outsider art that unfortunately fails to even be an entertaining bad movie you can "riff" on a la Manos, the Hands of Fate. By the end of it I was starting to hate redwoods, photography, and art. For the same experience with significantly less tedium, visit your local independent art gallery show. At least there will be cheese and wine.

• Jun 26, 2020

I've turned it off twice. Read info... it's gotta get better? Try again. Not sure if I can finish this one? And I finished killer clowns.

• Jun 23, 2020

Slow and pointless, sucked

Slow and pointless, sucked

• Jun 22, 2020

What the F did I just watch?

What the F did I just watch?

• Jan 04, 2019

This is one of my favourite films! The bad things people say about it are my favourite aspects of woodshock... It doesnt have many lines, it isnt a defined story, its a feeling of nostalgia, pain and madness... Honestly it doesnt need anything else, it is perfect and dreamy and i havent seen anything like that before. When i finished the film i was super curious about the directors because i though we would get along, they have the kind of creative vision that i like. This is a piece of art!

• Dann M Super Reviewer
    Sep 12, 2018

Dull and monotonous, Woodshock is an artist piece of garbage. The film follows a young woman who struggles with grief and guilt after helping her mother commit suicide. There's no real story, rather it's more a series of vignettes of psychedelic images. Also, there's not that much dialog; offering very little to establish who the characters are and their relationships. Instead of using a conventional narrative, writing/directing team Kate and Laura Mulleavy focus more on conveying the emotional journey of the character by using evocative imagery. But without compelling characters or a story, Woodshock is just a jumbled mess.

• Aug 12, 2018

Had to stop watching it. Just couldnt hang on. Was bad

Had to stop watching it. Just couldnt hang on. Was bad

• Jul 22, 2018

This movie had potential. The plot made sense but the film did not.

This movie had potential. The plot made sense but the film did not.

• Jul 01, 2018

All the actors deserve recognition just for trying for portraying the characters in this film. However, for my wife and I, who watch all genres of film, this one is forgettable - we didn't even want to finish watching it. We were unable to become immersed in it. Immersion to any degree normally results in a shift to a more positive experience. We get that it's a story about assisted suicide, but unfortunately, we also viewed it as neglectful using cannabis as the death delivery vehicle, especially at a time when the U.S. is struggling for some degree of legalization. This film played a very dark and negative role against cannabis, even without it being used as the tool for suicide.