Young Guns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Guns Reviews

August 23, 2018
I didn't really know what to think of this film at first, other than that it has a storied cast. After reading up on the story, I didn't realize that it pulled as much as it did from fact, even if much of it was fiction anyway. The Estevez character is not just a fearless sort, but really shows a character driven mad to prove dominance over any odds. The Charlie Sheen character would have made the movie better had his character had more dedicated time to development. I liked the movie, but it's a run of the mill eye for an eye western, and the only thing that makes it stand out is that the "good guys" don't beat around the bush killing the bad guys.
August 5, 2018
its a great western movie
February 11, 2018
Favourite movie ever, one of the most accurate billy the kid films. For what it is, it is a awesome movie. Definitely worth the watch considering it's based on true events.
½ January 25, 2018
John Tunstall (Terence Stamp), an educated Englishman and cattle rancher in Lincoln County, New Mexico in 1878, hires wayward young gunmen to live and work on his ranch. Tunstall is in heavy competition with a well-connected Irishman named Lawrence Murphy (Jack Palance), who owns a large ranch; their men clash on a regular basis. Tunstall recruits Billy (Emilio Estevez) and advises him to renounce violence saying that "He who sows the wind will reap the whirlwind." Tensions escalate between the two camps, resulting in the murder of Tunstall. Billy, Doc Scurlock (Kiefer Sutherland), Jose Chavez y Chavez (Lou Diamond Phillips), Richard M. "Dick" Brewer (Charlie Sheen), "Dirty" Steve Stephens (Dermot Mulroney), and Charlie Bowdre (Casey Siemaszko), consult their lawyer friend Alexander McSween (Terry O'Quinn), who manages to get them deputized and given warrants for the arrest of Murphy's murderous henchmen. Billy quickly challenges Dick's authority as leader, vowing revenge against Murphy and the men responsible for killing Tunstall. The men dub themselves The Regulators and arrest some of the murderers, but hot-headed Billy is unable to wait for justice. He guns down unarmed men and goes on to kill one of his fellow Regulators (later arrival J. McCloskey) in the paranoid (but correct) belief that he was still in league with Murphy. The men are stripped of their badges, which they find out about by reading a newspaper. That same paper also confuses Dick for Billy, showing a picture of Dick labeled Billy the Kid, a nickname to which Billy takes an immediate liking. While the local authorities begin their hunt for Billy and the boys, the Regulators argue about continuing with their warrants or to go on the run...

"Young Guns" is a retelling of the adventures of Billy the Kid during the Lincoln County War, which took place in New Mexico during 1877-78. I remember when it came out in 1988 in time when more or less the whole cast was in focus (some of them belong to the Brat Pack) and now there was another film with so many of them in the same movie. Itīs a pretty great ensemble (Estevez & Co) western based on the life of Billy The Kid. The cinematography is solid, the acting solid, great dialogue and with solid strong characters. You care about them even if they are more or less on the wrong side of the law. Particularly the trigger happy Billy who has nor pardon for life or anyone that stands in his way. It has mostly a mix of cold hard high energy wild west violence and action, tragedy, friendship, love and drama, but thereīs also room for comedy and the filmmakers have managed to merge them in a fine way. Estevez plays Billy with charm, wit and yet with that cold blooded killer instinct and the rest of the cast have truly embraced their characters. "Young Guns" is a MTV western that works very well in my book.

Trivia: - The movie was a box office hit. It grossed $45.6 million domestically from a moderate $11 million budget.

- It is confirmed in an audio commentary by Lou Diamond Phillips, Dermot Mulroney and Casey Siemaszko that Tom Cruise has a uncredited cameo in the shootout at the McSween House. His face clearly appears on screen in slow motion when he is killed.
½ January 16, 2018
"Young Guns" is more of a lighter, fun film to watch. It is definitely not as serious as many other Westerns out there.

The Cast is well done and the majority of the characters was good aswell. The locations was great and the set was really well done. Overall pretty good and fun film to sit down and watch.
½ November 10, 2017
A Cowboy Movie Homage With All The Zyoung, Up-&-Coming Dreamboat Male Actors, Competing For A Bit Of First-Time Screen-Time. As Such, It Ain't That Good. But As A Nostalgia Piece, It Fairs Okay.
November 7, 2017
another typical western, this one has 80s music. charlie sheen trying to be clint eastwood, cant quite pull it off
October 26, 2017
This is a great movie.
Holds up well.
September 9, 2017
Young Guns is a classic western adventure told through the lens of a big '80s action flick, cheesy guitar rock soundtrack and all. As a guy who loves "movie-moments", it's perfect. (Talking to the guy in the bar who wants to kill Billy the Kid. Discovering the traitor in the group. Shooting dude in the bathroom. The final standoff. Peyote.) Other than Sutherland's blandness and Sheen's accent, the performances are characters are a great hang, and Estevez's maniacal laugh is contagious.
June 26, 2017
Somehow this ensemble of characters manages to pull off a reasonably entertaining Western.
May 19, 2017
I love this movie. The cast was awesome
April 27, 2017
One of the most fun western movies I've seen and closest in accuracy of the movies about Billy the Kid. The sequel is a must watch afterward. Both movies are equally good to quote, if you're into that. The soundtrack for the movies are pretty good as well.
April 25, 2017
Well the climax was kind of exciting. I suppose. Unfortunately the rest of the film is dull and aimless with bad acting. A poor "modern" Western with then hot young stars that is already turning to haze in my mind.
March 30, 2017
Great old time western movie
October 16, 2016
This movie has a few decent parts, but I found the pacing to be a little slower than my childhood led me to believe. Watching it all these years later seemed like a bit of work. For what it is it is alright, but not quite the super hit I mistook it for when I was 10.
August 13, 2016
One of the most nothing Westerns ever made. None of the characters are likeable or memorable, I honestly couldn't tell you any their names without having to look them up. The plot just seems like they wanted to make a movie as a star vehicle, which always backfire. You make movies for art and purpose, usually, but of all the sellout type movies, these are always the worst.
July 15, 2016
Love it love it!!!!! All these now great actors were young and can show in the acting but over all if u love westerns u wont be disappointed!!!!
½ June 29, 2016
160729: *** Plot reveal *** Except for one scene, I loved this film in the theatre. Except for that same scene, I loved this film the next few times I watched it. Now, years later, more than one scene annoys me but I still enjoy Young Guns. I have always disliked the Peyote foolishness. And now, I could really do without the emotionally laden, politically infused rant by Chavez shortly after Dick's demise. I'm so tired of people making excuses and behaving like wimps (not the word I want to use). Buck up Chavez, it's a rough game; a game you were happy to participate in until the stakes were raised. Ok, enough ranting. Young Guns includes some great characters. Emilo Estevez brings life to Billy the Kid. In a world of violence, his continuing sense of humour really emphasizes The Kid's psychopathic nature. Charley Bowdre (Casey Siemaszko) brings a smile to my face and reminds me of Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) from Aliens (1986). Dirty Steve, though occasionally annoying, carries a fantastic double barrel shotgun rig on his back. Even the small bit players are cool including the tactically challenged Buckshot Roberts (Brian Keith) and the short-lived, yet arrogant, Texas Joe Grant (Thomas Callaway). Young Guns entertains this western fanatic, especially the final showdown. Satisfying action and good humour...if you're listening Grandma. Great in 88 and still showing well.
June 6, 2016
Thrilling western with a great story and bucketloads of action
½ June 4, 2016
Solid cast but not a very good story or plot. Basically a british man who takes in delinquents is murdered buy a corrupt cattleman, and his charges decided to go after for revenge, with lots of killing. There are occasional moments, but its a fleeting western with not much that is memorable.