Young Guns - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Young Guns Reviews

June 26, 2017
Somehow this ensemble of characters manages to pull off a reasonably entertaining Western.
May 19, 2017
I love this movie. The cast was awesome
April 27, 2017
One of the most fun western movies I've seen and closest in accuracy of the movies about Billy the Kid. The sequel is a must watch afterward. Both movies are equally good to quote, if you're into that. The soundtrack for the movies are pretty good as well.
April 25, 2017
Well the climax was kind of exciting. I suppose. Unfortunately the rest of the film is dull and aimless with bad acting. A poor "modern" Western with then hot young stars that is already turning to haze in my mind.
March 30, 2017
Great old time western movie
October 16, 2016
This movie has a few decent parts, but I found the pacing to be a little slower than my childhood led me to believe. Watching it all these years later seemed like a bit of work. For what it is it is alright, but not quite the super hit I mistook it for when I was 10.
August 13, 2016
One of the most nothing Westerns ever made. None of the characters are likeable or memorable, I honestly couldn't tell you any their names without having to look them up. The plot just seems like they wanted to make a movie as a star vehicle, which always backfire. You make movies for art and purpose, usually, but of all the sellout type movies, these are always the worst.
July 15, 2016
Love it love it!!!!! All these now great actors were young and can show in the acting but over all if u love westerns u wont be disappointed!!!!
½ June 29, 2016
160729: *** Plot reveal *** Except for one scene, I loved this film in the theatre. Except for that same scene, I loved this film the next few times I watched it. Now, years later, more than one scene annoys me but I still enjoy Young Guns. I have always disliked the Peyote foolishness. And now, I could really do without the emotionally laden, politically infused rant by Chavez shortly after Dick's demise. I'm so tired of people making excuses and behaving like wimps (not the word I want to use). Buck up Chavez, it's a rough game; a game you were happy to participate in until the stakes were raised. Ok, enough ranting. Young Guns includes some great characters. Emilo Estevez brings life to Billy the Kid. In a world of violence, his continuing sense of humour really emphasizes The Kid's psychopathic nature. Charley Bowdre (Casey Siemaszko) brings a smile to my face and reminds me of Private Hudson (Bill Paxton) from Aliens (1986). Dirty Steve, though occasionally annoying, carries a fantastic double barrel shotgun rig on his back. Even the small bit players are cool including the tactically challenged Buckshot Roberts (Brian Keith) and the short-lived, yet arrogant, Texas Joe Grant (Thomas Callaway). Young Guns entertains this western fanatic, especially the final showdown. Satisfying action and good humour...if you're listening Grandma. Great in 88 and still showing well.
June 6, 2016
Thrilling western with a great story and bucketloads of action
½ June 4, 2016
Solid cast but not a very good story or plot. Basically a british man who takes in delinquents is murdered buy a corrupt cattleman, and his charges decided to go after for revenge, with lots of killing. There are occasional moments, but its a fleeting western with not much that is memorable.
½ April 1, 2016
Moderately entertaining gunfights but all the characters were unlikable and the ending was horrifically far fetched
October 20, 2015
Cool, but not great.
September 30, 2015
Lots of shooting, lots of dying,
September 2, 2015
A great western, and sad that this doesn't get as much recognition as it used to!
May 16, 2015
Just A OK. Emilio Estevez played a more convincing Cowboy in D2 Mighty Ducks
May 8, 2015
When I watched Young Guns about 7 years ago in 2008 I named, it as one of my favorite movies I enjoy western movies.
½ May 8, 2015
A Western for teens.

Quite clichéd, unoriginal and predictable with a dialogue that is so over-the-top and gung ho that you have to think that the target demographic for this movie was teenage males.

Stock-standard, linear plot that signals just about its every turn and constantly feels like a generic western. Mentor of band of young cowboys gets killed, the cowboys go after the murderers, cue many shootouts.

Main cast consists of some of the brightest young stars of the time: Emilio Estevez, Charlie Sheen, Kiefer Sutherland, Lou Diamond Phillips, Dermot Mulroney. The supporting cast were where the more seasoned (and possibly, at the time, more well-known) talent was: Jack Palance, Terence Stamp, Brian Keith.
March 17, 2015
I've always loved this film.
March 3, 2015
2/3/2015: Excellent movie with a pretty great cast. A fun interesting plot with plenty of action and humor.