Youth Without Youth - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Youth Without Youth Reviews

December 28, 2010
Interesting, with mountains of potential, but ultimately disappointing. The movie was set up to be something very profound, but then drifted and failed to make a point. Still has enough coherent good ideas to be half-decent, but things could have been a whole lot better.

The plot is where this lives and dies, and it is pretty convoluted. Kind of reminds me of Benjamin Button meets Inception, if directed by David Lynch (not that it is, it is just weird enough to be a David Lynch movie). The complexity turns out to be its downfall, as you get the feeling the writer had nowhere to go eventually. The script is too clever for its own good.

Director Francis Ford Coppola must bear much of the blame, as he wrote the screenplay (adapted from Mircea Eliade's book), as well as directed the movie. Direction is good, but is hampered by the plot.

Tim Roth puts in a solid performance in the lead role. Lesser-known Alexandra Maria Lara is good, and very beautiful, as the love interest.
½ February 23, 2016
This movie deserves far more praise than it has received. A cinematic portrayal of Eliade's novel, and work, is a fantastic experiment, and Coppola pulls it off in spades. Narrating a frustrated academic's search for the origin of language amid the turbulence of twentieth century Europe, through an almost magic-realism lens, provides such a unique cinematic experience. The wistful quality to his search, and love affair, is intoxicating, and Roth makes this character his own. For people interested in broad approaches to cinema, it's simply a must-watch.
April 30, 2015
?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
January 5, 2008
Starts off well. I was very interested in the 70 year old man who caught fire and then began to grow younger as he healed. Fascinating.
But then it got confusing. And I got bored. Quickly.
January 8, 2015
Couldn't even truly watch it, I was so bored.
½ October 30, 2014
½ July 11, 2008
Philosophical inspiration wannabe. Odd. Vague. Tedious.
August 7, 2014
Visually great but ultimately dull.
½ March 25, 2014
Francis Ford Coppola returns to filmmaking after a ten year absence...and it is long and confusing and pretentious. Tim Roth stars as an elderly man who is struck by lightning and then becomes young again once he has healed from his injuries. He is also talking to himself in mirrors...and then the nazis show up. Visually, the film looks great, but story-wise...it is missing something. The pretentious nature of this film makes me think about Coppola's early work, Pre-"The Godfather". They were made by a pretentious film student, and this feels like the kind of film that a young guy like that, who never grew up, would make. It is as if Coppola in the 70s was a fluke. This movie is long and kind of boring...if you want to make a slower film with a longer duration...you better have something deeper than interesting visuals and a neat initial premise...this movie doesn't really have more than that.
May 11, 2014
The plot isn't confusing and Tarantino mixes more genre's and RT doesn't seem to mind - the movie is pretentious and sprawling but it's also a trip unlike any other.
February 15, 2014
P?íb?h plný metafyziky, filozofie, schizofrenie, mládnutí, stárnutí a cesty za poznáním. Asi to nechytne kadého, ale mn? se to celkem líbilo.
May 31, 2008
I am going to pass on this one.
December 7, 2013
Mihai cinematography is an exquisite delight making every frame a visual feast that is on occasion too much to absorb. Music is thoughtful full of compassion and feeling, added to this the beautiful sound of the vocals makes this an art piece of the movie world. Script is a psychological mystery that is intriguing and acted so subtly to keep interest to the last word. Nibbles: Beef Carpaccio
October 5, 2013
Visually it's a masterfully made movie. Unfortunately, it drowns itself in too many subplots, none if them fully reaching its potential, and eventually it becomes too drawn out and incoherent. It was quite a chore to sit through the entire thing, i found myself struggling to stay awake in the last third.
July 29, 2013
Rezija: Francis Ford Coppola ;
Igraat: Tim Roth i Bruno Ganz ;

Moze li nekoj sto go gledal filmov da mi go objasni, posto nisto ne razbrav...
½ April 28, 2013
Just could not get into this, Tim Roth is an exceptional actor but the story lacks depth or conviction
April 5, 2013
I cant hang with this.
½ March 11, 2013
Coppola signe un putain de beau film. On frôle le chef d'oeuvre. Sublime.
January 24, 2013
I was actually enraptured at the beginning, much to my surprise considering I remembered the reputation of this film being a great disappointment when it came out. However, that is not to say I felt it was a good movie necessarily. Just that there was beautiful cinematography by Mihai Malaimaire, jr., who did the gorgeous cinematography for The Master, and that the story itself intrigued me. But, as the film went on, it seemed to tangle up in it's own desire to be complex and full of depth. It is a failure of a film, but a beautiful failure nonetheless.
½ October 21, 2012
Pretty and absurd and boring.