Alex Rider: Season 1 Reviews

• May 04, 2021

I grew up on the books, and this expands upon them for the small screen in a way that the Stormbreaker film adaptation completely failed to do. Yes, the character of Tom is insufferable, but every other of the dozen or so characters remains compelling and watchable throughout. Maybe the pacing was strange at first, because they meshed things around and put the beginning of the first book with most of the second one. The transition didn't quite work. Apart from this, the show became better as it went on, whether inventing, transcribing, or slightly shifting the books. The action scenes and strange, modern soundtrack also made the viewing experience unlike any show that I've seen before. Otto Farrant is really likable in the lead role, while Vicky McClure also does well as probably the most well-known actor to a UK audience. I hope the second series doesn't run out of steam.

• Mar 10, 2021

Absolute must-see. Amazing acting, cinematography, writing, story and more. I'm very happy that there will be a second Series, and I hope that the series can keep on so strong.

• Mar 09, 2021

I've got too many good things to say about this, however, simply put, the writing of every character and the tension that is maintained make for a thoroughly gripping experience. Most Tv series have characters that grind my gears but I want to see more of everyone this show introduces. As a teen myself, I see how well these young actors and writers come together to make for a totally believable and immersive viewing experience. Alex is cunning and brave, yet needs help from others at some times and it constantly feels like he's as vulnerable as a human should really be in any said situation. Furthermore, his friend provides organic comic relief and, despite his mistakes, his intelligence and humour make me excited to see more of him. All the other teens in Point Blanc act and speak realistically, easily becoming likeable and convincing. His school and colleges feel realistic and so do the snobbish richies he encounters. It's also important to note that, unlike in many other shows or films, the twists in this show feel earned and not coming from some cheap inside knowledge that the viewer just wasn't given access to, or being derived from some contradiction to past points which were actually blatent lies made to the viewer. When there's a twist it actually has an impact, due to the signs having already been shown to me (There's little more fun than sitting with my family and going: 'Oh! Thats because of X and Y. I should've known!') In short, I think that this depiction of Alex Rider is a breath of fresh air in a world of cookie-cutter, bland and stretched-out shows. Alex himself gets banged up, injured and suffers, all be it in a feasible manner (unlike what I've come to expect from 'action heroes'), but, knowing that he'll survive past season one at least, the true tension comes from what might happen to the side characters. This, for me, is what sets this show's characters apart -the fact that I care about them and want to see more of them-. I want all of them to be well by the end and, being that Alex needs to unravel the mystery for that to happen, I have to be there with him. In every episode, every scene and every peek around a corner I'm practically gripping onto my seat. I feel the impact of the twists and Alex's fear, squirming in my seat when he's in pain. I want to see more of his friend and feel for his 'colleagues in Point Blanc.

• Mar 07, 2021

A good watch. A bit far fetched at times but kept intrigued throughout.

A good watch. A bit far fetched at times but kept intrigued throughout.

• Feb 12, 2021

Surprise! This show is pretty good

Surprise! This show is pretty good

• Feb 10, 2021

Expertly suspenseful with smart writing, powerful acting and beautiful camerawork, this is modern spy teen TV at its best.

• Jan 12, 2021

The REAL Alex Rider adaptation, not the garbage teen Bond wannabe from the movie!

• Jan 08, 2021

This show is absolute garbage so here is everything I dislike about this show, Alex's mom, Alex's actor, The writing, Episode 1-7. 8 was ok, Dr. Greif, 1/10

• Jan 02, 2021

Was expecting much more. The books are fantastic, but the TV Alex is too typical-teen, an unconvincing actor with a bad case of Punchable Face. Couldn't finish.

• Dec 18, 2020

Loved this series so much. Different from the books, but entertaining as its own newer series. Would highly recommend it. Eagerly awaiting Season two.